Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you pick at these price points? MBA 13 or MBr?

• Macbook Air 13 for $727

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Macbook Retina for $860

Votes: 106 85.5%

• Total voters

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
$1300...you're missing another $100, but the point is that it's not "cheap" in any sense of the word.

You haven't owned this Macbook Retina so you haven't allowed yourself to become accustomed to it. While it isn't my favorite keyboard it's fine for writing after a little bit of getting used to. Not everyone types like they're bringing down the hammer of Thor onto someone's head. You really can't judge it from the 10 minutes you played with it at a store.

It depends what you consider a "full fledged computer" Does it do word processing? Internet? email? Have a keyboard? It can even handle light video editing and non-complex photo editing.

The only thing it CAN'T do is render 4K efficiently which the Air models can't really do either. This is why I own a Mac Pro.

Honestly, you really can't judge this device since you don't own it. It's a fine secondary writing computer, I don't understand why you're constant bashing of it with no actual knowledge of the device... is it a full fledged computer? Yes. Is it worth $1300? No. This is why I was debating between this and the Air. The air has slightly more power (2.4ghz vs 2.6ghz at full throttle) but for "bang for my buck" I got the better deal getting MBr for my uses. You can't tell someone who owns one that their computer isn't a computer. That's some weird elitist net-jerk thing to do. Don't be a Net-Jerk.

Thanks for all your comments but please stop bickering.

BIB1 I agree with this. When I tried the KB at the Apple store it felt so strange and I initially thought, "hell no, I'm not going to like this." However the moment I got it home and used it at a decent level on lap/table it felt so comfortable and natural to use and I'm very at ease with it. I am a touch typist, and can type around 60/70wpm and the KB hasn't stunted my speed at all. I've written very large reports and other documents on this no problem at all.

BIB2 You're right about the bickering, the irony is folks have some kind of nerve to call out other folks for name calling when they're doing the same thing themselves....lmao. :D When you lower yourself to that level you've already lost the debate imo; attack the post not the poster.

We already heard all of these arguments when the rMB was launched, still funny to listen the same old arguments though rinse and repeat.

eta bib = bit in bold

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't consider the rmb good for writing. The keyboard's short travel and harsh bottoming out is really the antithesis of what's necessary for a nice, comfortable keyboard designed for extended use.

This comment, as well as your previous one about the rMB keyboard being a failure, is just your opinion. Not fact. I use the rMB every day to do a lot of typing and have no problems with the keyboard. I've actually come prefer it. Does that mean that it is fine for everyone? Nope. And your assertion does not mean that it's not fine for everyone.

This thread has a lot of posts with opinions stated as facts. Apple makes a lot of computers and if you don't like the rMB, don't buy one.

Personally, I think OP did the right thing in keeping the rMB. I bought an MBA a few months ago but didn't need the power or ports and couldn't stand the screen, so got the rMB and have not looked back since.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
This thread has a lot of posts with opinions stated as facts. Apple makes a lot of computers and if you don't like the rMB, don't buy one.

I assume the first sentence is your opinion rather than a fact. Yes?

What the rMB owners here fail to get is that the reason people are not buying it is due to it being inadequate. I observed one at the store today and am convinced it could easily handle 4x USB-c or 2x USB-a ports. That it doesn't is a major problem for non-buyers (amongst others).

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

What the rMB owners here fail to get is that the reason people are not buying it is due to it being inadequate. I observed one at the store today and am convinced it could easily handle 4x USB-c or 2x USB-a ports. That it doesn't is a major problem for non-buyers (amongst others).

Are there numbers about people not buying the MBr or are you just assuming? While I agree that they could have fit at least 1 more USB C port. You also fail to realize this is a first gen device. IE, first iPod Touch didn't have volume buttons, first iPad skimped on RAM, First MBA only had 1 USB port as well.

The port isn't really the biggest issue for me and my buying decision. It was probably the most minor as I really don't need to plug anything in anymore, especially on my secondary computer. My Mac Pro has like 10 things plugged into it. But for my uses on the Macbook Retina I plugged in an Xbox Controller once to test L4D2... but the next time I do that is probably few and far between.

My biggest concern was the battery being that mine was already at 97% health when I got it. It's now down to 95%... I'm not sure if it's a Macbook issue as much as it is a natural degradation of Li-Polymer battery issue. Followed by the keyboard which I've now become accustomed to.

As your ONLY computer the MB probably won't work for most users, especially those who plug in a lot of stuff for work/class/fun. But again as a secondary one there really are no issues.

Reactions: Closingracer

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I don't have time to quote each post, but there are many, such as I quoted in my previous post, that state personal preference or observation as fact.

See this is a good example. What is inadequate for one person might be adequate for another. Unless you have detailed data on all the people who are not buying the rMB showing that the reason they don't buy it is because it's inadequate, and also that the lack of ports is a major problem for them, this is just speculation and your opinion, not a proven fact.

I really don't understand the arguments in general against people who purchase one Mac or the other. If you like what you have, awesome. If you buy a rMB and return it, great, it wasn't for you. But why rail against others for their purchase decision or talk about how bad the product they purchased is? We all have different needs and get what we want based on those needs. There's no blanket right or wrong purchase and that's why there are different machines for different people. (This paragraph is my opinion and directed at no single individual in particular)

Reactions: Queen6 and MrXiro

Queen6

macrumors G4

Exactly who is not buying? All I know who actually own a Retina MacBook are very pleased with the notebook. For those that the rMB doesn't work for, Apple has alternatives. Most of these same vein posts just come across as "sour grapes" it`s not as if the rMB is inherently flawed like some of the 15" MBP models, it`s simply Apple`s vision of the Ultraportable notebook, therefore there is an element of form over function.

Q-6

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Exactly who is not buying? All I know who actually own a Retina MacBook are very pleased with the notebook. For those that the rMB doesn't work for, Apple has alternatives. Most of these same vein posts just come across as "sour grapes" it`s not as if the rMB is inherently flawed like some of the 15" MBP models, it`s simply Apple`s vision of the Ultraportable notebook, therefore there is an element of form over function.

Q-6

The people not purchasing one are the non-buyers. I know of zero retina MAcBook owners in my trailer park. We either have MBAs or PC laptops. A laptop is a utilitarian device, not a status object. If a device isn't fit for the purpose then people will point out the flaws. There's nothing wrong with that and it's not 'sour grapes'.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The people not purchasing one are the non-buyers. I know of zero retina MAcBook owners in my trailer park. We either have MBAs or PC laptops. A laptop is a utilitarian device, not a status object. If a device isn't fit for the purpose then people will point out the flaws. There's nothing wrong with that and it's not 'sour grapes'.

Who is calling the Macbook a status device? It's a tool, some people need a big hammer some people need a small hammer. You're saying the small hammer is flawed because it's not a big hammer. But the people who are buying the small hammer just want to put thumbtacks into their wall to hang small picture frames, not build a shelf from scratch.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
But you said yesterday, "The RMB is the future of personal computing, a notebook whose emphasis is on portability and usability; better get used to it."

I can't keep up wit your Mitt Romney-eque flip-flopping!

Not flip-flopping, I've been pretty consistent in my views. Just like the trend in Ultrabooks, Apple has come to the realization that most customers don't use all the extra CPU their machines come with and is taking an approach that 'less is more'. People like portability and people like style. That's what makes the iPhone so popular. Same attempt here with notebooks.

In other words, the retina Macbook is a Facebook computer. It's a glorified iPad with a keyboard and a weak processor to match.

You seem to say "Facebook computer" as if that's a negative, as if it's something to be ashamed of. In my 25+ years of work experience the only people I've ever engaged with that needed all the horsepower of something like a MacBook Pro have been Creative professionals who are building graphics-laden media jobs and Analytics professionals who are crunching massive amounts of reporting via databases.

Everyone else out there outside of those two specialties needs nothing more than a "Facebook computer". No one needs to be carrying around all the weight and thickness and heat of a MacBook Pro if all they're doing is checking email and building Powerpoints and that's what 95% of the notebook using world is doing.

The sour grapes feeling comes from those who compare an apple to an orange and point out all the flaws in the apple based on the orange's criteria. The RMB is not designed to be a workhorse capable of making Star Wars Episode 8 nor is it designed to compile and crunch all the data available in the Library Of Congress. It's for the other 95% of the world who aren't Creative professionals or Analytics experts. It's for regular people who Skype and email and browse and watch a TV show now and then. It's Apple's way of saying "what if we took out all the unnecessary stuff that the average user doesn't need and instead do them the favor of reducing weight and size". And that's exactly what we like about the RMB. It's premium price and misunderstood value makes it a bit exclusive which is a nice bonus too.

BJ

Reactions: Z3man

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Who is calling the Macbook a status device? It's a tool, some people need a big hammer some people need a small hammer. You're saying the small hammer is flawed because it's not a big hammer. But the people who are buying the small hammer just want to put thumbtacks into their wall to hang small picture frames, not build a shelf from scratch.

There is status in any Apple product, as you know we all pay a premium for the design, service, and brand values. Pick an Apple item, there is a non-Apple counterpart out there that is a fraction of the cost.

As for the RMB itself, when those who don't value portability compare it's raw performance specs its not much different than a $500 Black Friday HP at Best Buy, it's got a small screen, it's got no ports.....to the naive and the ignorant it looks like it's 3x the price of what it should be merely because its sexy. That's the definition of 'status symbol' for the most part.

BJ

Queen6

macrumors G4

Flawed logic at best. The Retina MacBook is clearly fit for purpose for many, as this forum illustrates, equally it`s not a turnkey computing solution for all mankind. If your on a budget (Apple) buy the Air, if your priority is performance buy a Retina MacBook Pro, if you value portability, audio & display quality buy the Retina MacBook, it`s no more complex than that.

A notebook is simply a tool, I choose the best tool for the job, not as a status symbol, as do many others. Some value the traits & features the rMBP offers over other portables, some do not, equally this does not make the rMB unfit for purpose. Yet the "Haters" and or those suffering "Sour Grapes" continue to post bilge, it`s not like it`s going to change mine or anyone else`s purchasing decision. If you were flagging poor quality, reliability or after sales service it would be a different matter, your not, nor are you in a position too do so.

Personally there is a lot of Apple product that I don't care for, equally I see absolutely no purpose in visiting the relevant forums denigrating the devices and users. I do however speak very directly when I or others are affected by Apple`s poor quality and or reliability given Apple is premium provider, as I actually own and use the hardware in question.

Q-6

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
There is status in any Apple product, as you know we all pay a premium for the design, service, and brand values. Pick an Apple item, there is a non-Apple counterpart out there that is a fraction of the cost.

As for the RMB itself, when those who don't value portability compare it's raw performance specs its not much different than a $500 Black Friday HP at Best Buy, it's got a small screen, it's got no ports.....to the naive and the ignorant it looks like it's 3x the price of what it should be merely because its sexy. That's the definition of 'status symbol' for the most part.

BJ

That's quite an elitist's view on tech. Apple is "sexy" because of good design aesthetics, premium parts, ease of use and great optimization of software and hardware. I don't see it as a "status" thing but just a superior marriage of hardware and software vs the competition.

I would have honestly stuck with the Surface 3 over the MBr if it wasn't for the matter that Window's 10 felt like a fresh coat of paint over a dilapidated house. Same went for Android phones. If things worked as smoothly there they have some sexy hardware options but poor software integration IMO.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
That's quite an elitist's view on tech. Apple is "sexy" because of good design aesthetics, premium parts, ease of use and great optimization of software and hardware. I don't see it as a "status" thing but just a superior marriage of hardware and software vs the competition.

There are some who would say that thinking an Apple product isn't something special and is "just a superior marriage of hardware and software" is an elitists point of view, no different than people who say a $60,000 BMW isn't so special because they own a $125,000 Bentley. Tell that to the average person who can't afford a $25,000 Ford. To most, a notebook is whatever they get for free at work or whatever's on sale for $299 at Best Buy. The thought of a $1,300 notebook from Apple is a luxury well beyond their means.

Real world example: There are adult members of my extended family who see my 10 year old's and 14 year old's iPhone 6S's from Santa and shake their heads in disbelief, they can only afford an iPhone 4 off of Craigslist or some Android they got a deal on at T-Mobile, their kids are still using prepaid flip phones. Outside of my immediate family, all cousins, aunts, uncles, and sisters are using Windows machines circa 2007 running Windows XP or 7. Just saying, Apple devices are special and we're fortunate to be able to afford them.

BJ

Queen6

macrumors G4
The retina display is wasted on a small screen.

Not at all, the Retina MacBook`s IPS display is one of the very best on the market for an ultraportable, being one of the primary features of the notebook. The 12" panel is every bit as good as the MacBook Pro, exceeding them in colour gamut at 102% of sRGB and 80% of Adobe RGB. Colour is accurate and saturated, with a high contrast level, comparing the 12" Retina to an Air is literally a night & day experience. The display is very far from a waste, and what all manufacturers should be aspiring too as a minimum.

Q-6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not at all, the Retina MacBook`s IPS display is one of the very best on the market for an ultraportable, being one of the primary features of the notebook. The 12" panel is every bit as good as the MacBook Pro, exceeding them in colour gamut at 102% of sRGB and 80% of Adobe RGB. Colour is accurate and saturated, with a high contrast level, comparing the 12" Retina to an Air is literally a night & day experience. The display is very far from a waste, and what all manufacturers should be aspiring too as a minimum.

Q-6
By chance, my sister whos visiting is using my old 2012 MBA 11" to view her emails, I sent her some holiday snaps yesterday to keep, when she asked a question on one picture I was amazed at the poor quality/saturation thought she had some wrong/default settings as the MBA had been wiped and was essentially factory restored,

Nope after fiddling around it's just the poor screen compared to our rMB's or SP4's

Queen6

macrumors G4
By chance, my sister whos visiting is using my old 2012 MBA 11" to view her emails, I sent her some holiday snaps yesterday to keep, when she asked a question on one picture I was amazed at the poor quality/saturation thought she had some wrong/default settings as the MBA had been wiped and was essentially factory restored,

Nope after fiddling around it's just the poor screen compared to our rMB's or SP4's

You can never underestimate the benefits of a good display panel, equally I find few take this into consideration when buying a notebook. For me the display is one of the most important aspects of a portable, given it`s inescapable :)

Q-6

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You can never underestimate the benefits of a good display panel, equally I find few take this into consideration when buying a notebook. For me the display is one of the most important aspects of a portable, given it`s inescapable :)

Q-6

Now where's BJ when we need one of his funny analogies for MBA vs rMB screen :D

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
There are some who would say that thinking an Apple product isn't something special and is "just a superior marriage of hardware and software" is an elitists point of view, no different than people who say a $60,000 BMW isn't so special because they own a $125,000 Bentley. Tell that to the average person who can't afford a $25,000 Ford. To most, a notebook is whatever they get for free at work or whatever's on sale for $299 at Best Buy. The thought of a $1,300 notebook from Apple is a luxury well beyond their means.

Real world example: There are adult members of my extended family who see my 10 year old's and 14 year old's iPhone 6S's from Santa and shake their heads in disbelief, they can only afford an iPhone 4 off of Craigslist or some Android they got a deal on at T-Mobile, their kids are still using prepaid flip phones. Outside of my immediate family, all cousins, aunts, uncles, and sisters are using Windows machines circa 2007 running Windows XP or 7. Just saying, Apple devices are special and we're fortunate to be able to afford them.

BJ

You're confusing premium price with status and it isn't necessarily exclusive this is shown by your examples. Does Apple charge a premium price? Generally yes, but just because they do doesn't mean owning an Apple product is for status symbol. They are able to take a product with weaker specs IE the MBr and have things optimized for great battery life with little or no lag. PC computers with the same lower specs just do not run as smoothly. Those are just facts, not an elitist's point of view. If Android or Windows machines were better engineered and programmed they wouldn't need twice the specs for the similar performance; IE RAM on Android phones.

I'm certainly not rich and I bought this MBr for $440 off retail price, significantly cheaper than most Ultrabooks in the same class.. Essentially it's a product that's competition for a Surface Book, which is retails at $400 MORE than the MBr. I certainly wouldn't call owning a Surface Book being of higher status symbol, just a laptop with more features.

Ultimately these are tools, nobody cares if you have the "Bentley" of screw drivers, so it's not a status as it is that Apple has always used more premium materials and aesthetics and did them better. They were the first to make stainless steel mp3 players, aluminum laptops, glass capacitive touch screens, glass trackpads, all in one desktops and the list goes on and on. This is why Apple products are more expensive. Not because of "Status Symbol". The only item, which I also think is the worst product Apple has ever made is the Edition Gold Apple Watches. THAT is a status symbol item that Apple makes and I hope that they eliminate that line with the next Apple Watch.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You're confusing premium price with status and it isn't necessarily exclusive this is shown by your examples. Does Apple charge a premium price? Generally yes, but just because they do doesn't mean owning an Apple product is for status symbol. They are able to take a product with weaker specs IE the MBr and have things optimized for great battery life with little or no lag. PC computers with the same lower specs just do not run as smoothly. Those are just facts, not an elitist's point of view. If Android or Windows machines were better engineered and programmed they wouldn't need twice the specs for the similar performance; IE RAM on Android phones.

I'm certainly not rich and I bought this MBr for $440 off retail price, significantly cheaper than most Ultrabooks in the same class.. Essentially it's a product that's competition for a Surface Book, which is retails at $400 MORE than the MBr. I certainly wouldn't call owning a Surface Book being of higher status symbol, just a laptop with more features.

Ultimately these are tools, nobody cares if you have the "Bentley" of screw drivers, so it's not a status as it is that Apple has always used more premium materials and aesthetics and did them better. They were the first to make stainless steel mp3 players, aluminum laptops, glass capacitive touch screens, glass trackpads, all in one desktops and the list goes on and on. This is why Apple products are more expensive. Not because of "Status Symbol". The only item, which I also think is the worst product Apple has ever made is the Edition Gold Apple Watches. THAT is a status symbol item that Apple makes and I hope that they eliminate that line with the next Apple Watch.

What you've just described for Apple is exactly what one can describe for Rolex, arguably the #1 status symbol brand in the world.

Rolex innovations include the first fully-immersible waterproof case (oyster), the self-winding mechanism (perpetual), the daily dial calendar (day-date), and the ability to display dual time zones (GMT). They were also the first maker of the wristwatch itself, all others prior being pocket watches. Hans Wilsdorf was the Steve Jobs of his era, inventing a new business segment and continually layering new patented improvements to stay well ahead of the competition. Charged a premium price because he built a premium product.

What you're missing is that whether a screwdriver, a wristwatch, a t-shirt, a car, or a notebook, status symbols are born from brands who can command top-dollar because of the quality baked into their products, the prices they can charge consumers, and the wealthy types of people who can afford them.

BJ

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
They were the first to make stainless steel mp3 players, aluminum laptops, glass capacitive touch screens, glass trackpads, all in one desktops and the list goes on and on.

I certainly agree Apple popularized/refined the items you note but they were not the inventors or the 1st, they did make a SS MP3 although a magnesium one existed years before and they do hold patents on specific construction of glass trackpads is my understanding and they refined the aluminum case to a unified body. They certainly evolved and made things better but not 1st.

However this does not distract from the point you were trying to make

Reactions: Queen6

macbook_21

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2015
In yo' bizness

I'm certainly not rich and I bought this MBr for $440 off retail price

Apple products are far from "status" items at this point. They are about as high status as toyota corolla's and honda accords. These products are recognized for their quality, but since everyone owns one, it doesn't give you a higher status.

As far as price, all but the highest end apple products are extremely affordable. Back in the day, $4K and $5K apple laptops were the norm as far as pricing was concerned.

It's just totally asinine pushing the "apple is high end" agenda. It's just a delusion on the part of a single poster who wants to boost his ego with a couple of consumer purchases.

No one capable of thinking rationally considers apple laptops "high end status symbols" Apple laptops are completely ubiquitous, as are apple products generally speaking.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
macbook air is like the iphone 3gs. good for its time but once you get used to macbook 12 screen .... had to use my sister-in-law's mba to surf the web and it was like rubbing my eyeballs with sandpaper. i have ipad mini retina, 6s+ and 6 and the retina is great on all devices.

plus i am using the anker 26800 battery pack in my car to charge the macbook and i could probably use it for 20 hours. usb-c is awesome and the hubs such as the one below now nullify the one-port argument:

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type-...&qid=1452377553&sr=8-1&keywords=satechi+usb-c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.