Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
p493666589-5.jpg

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2004
1544921731_33ff6ceb4b_b.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 3200
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
venusTransfer.jpg

Really cool alternative printing process. Shot with Fuji Velvia E-6 slide film (35mm), which produces a positive image (instead of a negative), which are the kind you use in slide projectors. Take that slide, put it in a color enlarger, project it onto a 3.25x4.25" piece of Polaroid 669 film. Pull the Polaroid from the holder so it activates the chemicals. Wait ten seconds (so that the chemicals start to react, but not enough for the image to form), pull the negative off the Polaroid paper, stick the negative (coated with the chemicals/dyes) onto watercolor paper (in this case Arches 80lb hot press) face-down, and roll over it with a brayer for about 70 seconds, then slowly pull off the negative. The result is the dyes transfered onto the watercolor paper to form the photograph. I used slightly damp paper to make sure all the dye transfers cleanly.

Really hard to get the hang of, but once you know how to do it, it's awesome

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Really cool alternative printing process. Shot with Fuji Velvia E-6 slide film (35mm), which produces a positive image (instead of a negative), which are the kind you use in slide projectors. Take that slide, put it in a color enlarger, project it onto a 3.25x4.25" piece of Polaroid 669 film. Pull the Polaroid from the holder so it activates the chemicals. Wait ten seconds (so that the chemicals start to react, but not enough for the image to form), pull the negative off the Polaroid paper, stick the negative (coated with the chemicals/dyes) onto watercolor paper (in this case Arches 80lb hot press) face-down, and roll over it with a brayer for about 70 seconds, then slowly pull off the negative. The result is the dyes transfered onto the watercolor paper to form the photograph. I used slightly damp paper to make sure all the dye transfers cleanly.

Very cool process, and a nice picture, to boot!

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI

LOVE it! I'm going to try that sometime, love the pic, amazing technique, seen it before but never knew how.

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
obligatory-streaked-car-lights shot...

i was waiting at a tyre bay for them to change the tyres on my car, so i thought i'd make use of the waiting time...
dsc0001ce7.jpg

f/14
10s

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL

I love the picture! It makes me want to shoot with film and try this!

Camera: Canon EOS 20D
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 200 mm
ISO Speed: 3200
Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV

This is so cute! I love the moment you captured.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
puffin.jpg
Definitely not a baby duck. And I should know! But what is it? Some kind of penguin or something?

Is it a Puffin Penguin or something? Looks like the logo of the publisher Puffin.

Actually now that I look more closely I am seeing differences...

RoadieJodie

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
DSCF0014.jpg

FugiFilm S5700
Exposure: 1/180 sec at f / 3.5
Folcal Length: 32.7 mm
ISO: 64 [hmm]
Flash: Did not fire

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
birdInTheHand.jpg

Polaroid emulsion lift. 2007.

35mm Fuji Velvia E-6 (slide film) projected onto polaroid film. Allow film to develop normally, let sit for at least a day (works with any old polaroid of this type). Submerge in a tray of slightly cooler than boiling water (~180°F) for 2-4 minutes until emulsion layer starts to blister. Carefully transfer polaroid to tray of cold water and start to push up the edges of the emulsion carefully using your fingertips (NOT FINGERNAILS). When all four sides are free, gently pull the emulsion off the backing of the polaroid and discard the back. Submerge the desired substrate (whatever you're going to transfer it to, in this case watercolor paper, but you can use plastic, glass, pretty much anything) under the emulsion, and slowly pull it out of the water. The emulsion is still able to be manipulated as long as it's wet, so smooth out (or distort, if you wish) the edges. Gently roll a brayer over the print from top to bottom and left to right, starting in the middle. Go over it with no pressure at first, then after a while increase your pressure.
Let air dry or dry slowly with a hair-dryer on medium.

I've got 3 more like this on paper, one on a shooter glass, and one on a lightbulb.

edit: forgot to mention, you need to waterproof the back of the polaroid with 2 coats of spray paint. Be careful doing this, you just want to mist it from way above, so you don't accidentally move the print while it's being painted (I did this and got paint on the front!)

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

A Lotus Exige running in A class at yesterday's BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter driving school at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA. EXIF info is in the image, which is thumbnailed and links to a larger image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.