Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
I'd give my eye teeth for this one. The Cinelli Laser Rivoluzione... Wow. It was a rocket, and so many people were winning on it the UCI banned it. It's known as a 'funny bike', because of the differing wheel sizes. But this is pure >>>ZOOM>>>

Also notice the pedals. they are the first produced clipless pedals, the M71, that has a black button on the side of the pedal to release the shoe/cleat. They called them 'death cleats' because they often didn't release in a crash unless the button on the pedal hit the ground right. (To release the shoe, the rider actually had to reach down and hit that button to get out of them) It apparently often didn't, but these predate the infamous Look Delta pedals by nearly a decade which were the first clipless pedal systems to sweep the market, and is the grandfather of many systems today.

View attachment 2049753

Not all old things are junk. 🤤🤤🤤 I haven't found any on the used market, so far... :(
That's....kinda cool. Read a great story about that bike over here:

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
You will definitely know after that big ride. I think part of my issue was riding a seat that gave me saddle sores. I mean nearly open sores that made sitting on a chair painful. It was a seat that I paid a bunch of money for and was determined to like. You can't force yourself to not get those, no matter how hard you try. I was also riding, on average, 2 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week. I started using creme, and found out that I was allergic to it! I couldn't catch a break. However get good bibs, or shorts. Get a good creme. Keep the area clean and dry, especially off bike. Cotton underwear is strongly suggested. And Ride On! (Happy Birthday!)

Full transparency and circle.
Ok, so … I returned the “thin to win” saddle on day 29 of 30… yea..

Here’s why: the saddle has edge plastic protection, on 3+ hour rides and more my butt cheeks got irritated too much.

My friend who has used a similar Sella Itila 3 years now his saddle does not have the plastic protection thingies.

18bf02f0e6af3069c2aecefce9c7e75a.jpg

29eb789751b8a7e00054e0b76687809e.jpg

This 46 mile / 4 hour ride sealed returning it, I did a mixture of seated and standing of course. Shifting position, etc. had bad red chaff marking.

5af65235df6381583bca8409795e183d.jpg

I’ve since got .. a new 2022 Volt medium width.
It seems slightly deeper under the “guy zone” than the original Volt.
Padding just a smidgen firmer.
On the 2 three hour rides zero issues, so kept it.

15790933db6cbc92baf46c4f92a39653.jpg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Full transparency and circle.
Ok, so … I returned the “thin to win” saddle on day 29 of 30… yea..

Here’s why: the saddle has edge plastic protection, on 3+ hour rides and more my butt cheeks got irritated too much.

My friend who has used a similar Sella Itila 3 years now his saddle does not have the plastic protection thingies.

18bf02f0e6af3069c2aecefce9c7e75a.jpg

29eb789751b8a7e00054e0b76687809e.jpg

This 46 mile / 4 hour ride sealed returning it, I did a mixture of seated and standing of course. Shifting position, etc. had bad red chaff marking.

5af65235df6381583bca8409795e183d.jpg

I’ve since got .. a new 2022 Volt medium width.
It seems slightly deeper under the “guy zone” than the original Volt.
Padding just a smidgen firmer.
On the 2 three hour rides zero issues, so kept it.

15790933db6cbc92baf46c4f92a39653.jpg

I had a Selle Royal seat (can't remember the model) and it had small plastic 'things' on the side of the seat that eventually started to peel back from the front. So of course those peeling plastic things started some concentrated rubbing on the inside of my thighs. Yeah, just as nasty as you might think. What was weird is that the body of the 'things' were way more attached to the seat fake leather then the ends. Sure, I can see that, over time, but wow... Nasty was an understatement. And I loved that seat.

Ah, Selle Royal Respiro. It had 'advanced venting capability' to keep the junk cooler. (They should have come up with a fan to do the work that riding doesn't do. Apparently their designers live the idea of a hood scoop between their legs. It looked kind of bizarre, but the seat was very comfy, until...

Also funny that the wife ripped me for spending so much money on saddles/seats. Until she started riding more... HAH!!! I donated nearly 2 dozen to the local recycle-a-bike group. Most were ridden less than a week. Now most (many) vendors allow a trial period, and/or offer 'trial' models so people can get an idea on if it will work. (To me, having 'trial saddles' would be like having 'demo underwear'. Just gross, sick, OMG, yeah, HELL NO!)

Reactions: mtbdudex

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
As soon as the snow gets hardpacked and ridden enough, it's absolutely fantastic though. I had one of my best rides ever in February last year. Just watch those ice patches!

View attachment 2105174

Studded tires are like riding on Velcro! Just watch the bike changing tires/tubes, and anything those tires come into contact with.

I got a pair of these for my fat bike, and then spent way too much time putting the studs in them. But no fear of ice any longer. Haven't lost a stud yet. They sound strange on pavement. They make smaller MTB type tires for or with studs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilBoogie

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
As soon as the snow gets hardpacked and ridden enough, it's absolutely fantastic though. I had one of my best rides ever in February last year. Just watch those ice patches!

View attachment 2105174
I haven't taken my bike out on the snow too many times. I find the snow and ice causes excess wear and tear on the drivetrain. I used to have an older beater bike for stuff like that but I've since sold it. Also swapping tires on those Bontrager rims is a huge pain in the @$$. I'm already on my third set of tires on it and each time has been a huge ordeal. Maybe I'll look at picking up a pre-owned fat bike for winter.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Studded tires are like riding on Velcro! Just watch the bike changing fires/tubes, and anything those tires come into contact with.

I got a pair of these for my fat bike, and then spent way too much time putting the studs in them. But no fear of ice any longer. Haven't lost a stud yet. They sound strange on pavement. They make smaller MTB type tires for or with studs.
I actually built my own set of studded tires back in the day. 400 pcs of screws in each Maxxis DHF tyre I had laying around.… Let me put it this way, I went on a frozen lake and could elbow the ground. Such a crazy feeling. The only thing causing me to eventually fall was the crank/pedal hitting the ground and lifting the rear wheel from the ground.

It was a fun experiment!

Honestly though, most of the time it works well enough with regular MTB tyres where I live. I just reduce some tire pressure. Works well enough as long as there is no ice (Feb/March when melting begins is what causes problems).

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I love this thread. My bicycling days may be over though. I keep getting cysts in my wrists and I'm tired of surgery. :(

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
What do you guys think of e-cargo bikes?

I've reached a pay grade that means DC or San Antonio for my next rotation back to to the states and I'd like to live car free. I'll keep all my Surly's because I love them but I'm thinking a big easy cause I likely can't shop the way I do in Germany.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I actually built my own set of studded tires back in the day. 400 pcs of screws in each Maxxis DHF tyre I had laying around.… Let me put it this way, I went on a frozen lake and could elbow the ground. Such a crazy feeling. The only thing causing me to eventually fall was the crank/pedal hitting the ground and lifting the rear wheel from the ground.

It was a fun experiment!

Honestly though, most of the time it works well enough with regular MTB tyres where I live. I just reduce some tire pressure. Works well enough as long as there is no ice (Feb/March when melting begins is what causes problems).

I worked at a bike shop in college and there were people that worked there that studded their own tires, with sheet metal screws. Short things with a sharp head. Now people go tubeless and have tires that take studs. It's so much easier (unless you have to stud them yourself)

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022

View attachment 2105174
EF6A9A90-DD32-4B99-9D4C-0C42E41507AA.jpeg

Beautiful pic with the sun and shadows! I agree the snow riding is not bad as long as you’re super careful. Having switched from this ”hybrid” tire size —-^ to a 3” wide one now on another bike, I‘m a little shocked to recall I rode in the snow not long ago on such thin tires… it’s still enjoyable but definitely need a LOT of caution. Stay safe out there everyone.

Reactions: skyhawkmatthew

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
View attachment 2105864

Beautiful pic with the sun and shadows! I agree the snow riding is not bad as long as you’re super careful. Having switched from this ”hybrid” tire size —-^ to a 3” wide one now on another bike, I‘m a little shocked to recall I rode in the snow not long ago on such thin tires… it’s still enjoyable but definitely need a LOT of caution. Stay safe out there everyone.

I was staying at a hotel in the hinterlands, and they 'rented fat bikes'. I had to leave mine home, so took them up on the 'fat bike' idea. It was NOT a very fat fat bike. And there was no riding on ANY groomed trails because the cross country skiers do not have a sense of humor. (The problem was so many places TO ride were bounded by groomed trails! Seriously) And so I'm trucking along and then disappear into a ditch filled with snow that a fat fat bike would have been able to relatively float over, but this thing wanted to float UNDER the snow. I ended up taking it back early, thoroughly exhausted from pedaling in the near waist deep snow, and the huge ditches filled with it. In the end I took a groomed trail back. Screw 'em if they can't take a joke, right?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I've reached a pay grade that means DC or San Antonio for my next rotation back to to the states and I'd like to live car free. I'll keep all my Surly's because I love them but I'm thinking a big easy cause I likely can't shop the way I do in Germany.

Cargo e-bikes are great. I ride a Radwagon since last year due to a lower budget but have close to 3000 km on it without any issues.
If you really want to treat yourself take a test ride on the Riese&Müller Load models, they are fantastic.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

Check out DCRainmaker's website and his Tube videos. He has a really cool e-cargo bike. He actually used it to pick up a bike trainer from his house and take it and his kid, I think, to his office. REI has a good selection of some e and regular cargo bikes. It seems that finding them in LBS's is really not common yet. (I guess Specialized hasn't made one that costs many thousands of dollars more than it should yet?)

I've thought of getting a cargo bike, buy the stores here don't even have electric car chargers yet, and bike racks are just not even remotely a priority, and forget 'bike vaults'. I heard one guy tried to walk his bike through a local chain grocery and they threatened to charge him with trespassing! He threw a controlled fit pointing out that if they provided proper security for bikes, he wouldn't have to feel like he has to keep it with him. It had, as predictable, no measurable effect at all. *sigh*

Good luck! People need to ride more! (Someone asked me if I got a DUI because I was riding my bike. :rolleyes:)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What kind of cysts? Nerve? Bummer... Will a wrist support help?
Ganglion cyst next to a nerve. When I rode this summer, I could barely move my wrist after 30-60 minutes. I've tried various compression gloves to help eliminate the shock. It's the second time I've had it removed, and I'm not sure I want surgery every few years.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ganglion cyst next to a nerve. When I rode this summer, I could barely move my wrist after 30-60 minutes. I've tried various compression gloves to help eliminate the shock. It's the second time I've had it removed, and I'm not sure I want surgery every few years.

And I tore a ligament in my wrist last year. I'm with you. I can't ride outside like I used to , but I have an indoor trainer and ride the hell out of it. Maybe that's an option. Check out Zwift.com, Rouvy, the Tacx Training App and others. You can get the feeling you are riding outdoors without the pain from the handlebars.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
And I tore a ligament in my wrist last year. I'm with you. I can't ride outside like I used to , but I have an indoor trainer and ride the hell out of it. Maybe that's an option. Check out Zwift.com, Rouvy, the Tacx Training App and others. You can get the feeling you are riding outdoors without the pain from the handlebars.
I have a Kickr Bike and Zwift, and will probably just stick with that. Now I need to find a buyer for a nice bike. lol

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.