Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy an Gamer Focused Mac based on the new Mac Pro Form Factor

• Yes, I dream on it

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • No, has no sense, the iMac is enough

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Ther is no good games on OS/X to consider a gamer Mac.

Votes: 36 35.6%

• Total voters

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
FTC Rules on trade issues, this neither distort CPU or PC markets, neither the SEC has nothing to do since owning the supply chain doesn't build a monopoly, unless you control the only supply of your rivals.

It would depend on what Apple plans were with the acquisition. If they didn't intend to sell processors and cards they would create a monopoly. Then there is the X64 license to deal with it's not as simple as they can so they should.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
They already make this, it's called the iMac and it also comes with a 5K monitor for free. 4ghz i7, 64Gb of ram, 1TB SSD, and m395x card w/ 4GB vram which is respectable and can play many games fluently.
This is true, but the 5K iMac has 3 weak points:
1. 5K screen likely impedes frame rate in games
2. CPU and GPU cannot be upgraded or replaced in the event of failure/overheating; the problem with mobile CPUs and GPUs is that they can’t be replaced or upgraded
3. PCIe expansion cards can’t be added without an external Thunderbolt enclosure like the Akitio Thunder2
[doublepost=1453569921][/doublepost]
Truth be told: future gaming PC's that will be custom config from different parts will be Workstation CPU + Workstation GPUS.

Mainstream will rely on NUC, Laptop, or small PC's in form factors with external GPUs. Mac Pro in current state is iteration of this vision. And its power will be possible to expand - through Thunderbolt or whatever in future it will be called.
I disagree.
1. Workstation CPUs and GPUs just aren’t good for gaming. For one thing, most games can only use 2 CPU cores, not 12. Second, workstation GPUs are good for design, not gaming.

2.While eGPUs are nice, they require compression because there will never be an external interface which will be fast enough to not require compression. Compression is an issue because it requires more processor power. I have an eGPU. It’s great and it keeps my MacBook Pro’s CPU 10 degrees cooler, but it requires extra processing power for compressing data so it can fit across the Thunderbolt cable, and that’s processing power which could have been used for actually playing the game instead of compressing data had the GPU-Mac interface been fast enough to transfer all of the data without compression.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I disagree.
1. Workstation CPUs and GPUs just aren’t good for gaming. For one thing, most games can only use 2 CPU cores, not 12. Second, workstation GPUs are good for design, not gaming.
I am sorry to ask you but, have you been asleep for last 12 months or so?

VR, games that use Low-Level APIs that came from Mantle, all of this will require lots of amounts of compute capable hardware with working context switching and hardware scheduling that is done on hardware level, not software level.

Multicore CPU support is also key idea for Mantle-ish APIs: DirectX12, Vulkan, Metal.

P.S. Is Xeon E3 not a workstation part?

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
Koyoot, please don't demean other forum members. Its actions like this among various forum members that results in discussions that get out of hand and eventually closed.

jblagden makes some valid points.

5K screen likely impedes frame rate in games

While it is true that it requires a much more powerful GPU to run a game at 5k from what I have read running a game at half resolution (2560x1440) does not significantly decrease the picture quality over a screen that actually has that resolution.

2. CPU and GPU cannot be upgraded or replaced in the event of failure/overheating; the problem with mobile CPUs and GPUs is that they can’t be replaced or upgraded

From a gaming stand point it is a problem that the graphics cards can't be updated. However, one of Apple's strengths is building computers in non-traditional form factors. I don't see Apple building another machine that has a slot for a standard graphics card.

Apple does not build a machine with a graphics card that consumes > 150 W. Basically, as power goes up graphics horsepower goes up. The top graphics cards on the market are the AMD Fury X and the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti which both consume > 250 W. If Apple were to decide to built a gaming oriented machine, a reasonable compromise would be to include a more powerful GPU that consumes > 200 W in a custom form factor. This would extend the life of the machine without needing to support upgradeable parts.

3. PCIe expansion cards can’t be added without an external Thunderbolt enclosure like the Akitio Thunder2

External GPUs are going to see a change with thunderbolt 3 coming to the PC masses. Various external GPU enclosures have already been announced and once macs get thunderbolt 3 gets it external GPUs should work, at least in windows.

I think this is a common misconception. Professional graphics cards can be good for gaming but are often not a good value for gaming. Professional graphics cards are based on the same GPUs as the gaming oriented cards. However, professional GPUs are sometimes lower clocked, somewhat reducing the performance and the often include lots of VRAM.

When it comes to the graphics cards in the mac pro they more closely resemble a consumer graphics cards rather than a professional one. They lack ECC memory. Apple also doesn't pay for access to professional windows drivers.

Unfortunately, I don't see Apple taking games seriously. They haven't in a very long time especially on OS X. API support has been lacking. Metal is a step in the right direction, but failure to support new versions of openGL and vulkan signal that Apple is not serious about it. Maybe if VR takes off and Apple sees creative potential in it, Apple would announce a gaming oriented mac with better API support. Until then I think macs will continue on their current trajectory of being a poor value as a dedicated game machine.

Reactions: MacVidCards

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Koyoot, please don't demean other forum members. Its actions like this among various forum members that results in discussions that get out of hand and eventually closed.
It was not to be mean. All that question was like the OP was not knowing where the world goes with Low-Level APIs, and multithreading in applications. If my reaction sounded like I was mean, I apologize :).

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
It was not to be mean. All that question was like the OP was not knowing where the world goes with Low-Level APIs, and multithreading in applications. If my reaction sounded like I was mean, I apologize :).

Its important to provide context for your comments. This is a mac forum, not a hardcore hardware forum. Not everyone is as informed as you on the latest trends in computer hardware.

Reactions: jblagden and koyoot

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
There won't be a gaming Mac for a very simple reason: gaming hardware is a niche market, and, the Mac Pro aside, Apple doesn't do niche markets. If you add total 2014 profits from both Asus and MSI you get what apple made in 6 days, and that's assuming that 100% of their profits came from gaming hardware, which is, obviously, wrong. I'm pretty sure if you added together all of the gaming profits from every gaming hardware company, and included all the CPUs and GPUs bought by gamers, you'd get, maybe, a month of Apple's profits.

The old Apple almost died more than once because it was a niche company, and those of us who remember the bad days when Jobs was at NeXT know that Apple survived by the skin of its teeth and the dedication of its users. I don't think we will ever see Apple's management put it into such a position ever again. We may all have out problems with the way Apple is doing business now, but you can't argue with the financial health of the company.

That aside, gaming on the Mac also gives a real chicken or egg scenario. Let's say Apple introduces the gMac tomorrow: i7, 970/R290, good cooling and no thermal throttling. What would you play on it? Of all the games I play, only X-Plane is cross platform. There's no Project Cars, no Fallout 4, and no GTAV. Apple would need to convince the publishers there are enough gMacs out there for their ports to. But, for people to buy them, they'd need a large library of games, which takes us back to convincing the publishers to buy them, and on and on.

Oh, and the iMac is terrible bang for buck. It thermal throttles almost immediately.
[doublepost=1453581385][/doublepost]
Truth be told: future gaming PC's that will be custom config from different parts will be Workstation CPU + Workstation GPUS.

No they won't: no one builds a gaming machine with workstation parts. The current sweet spot for 1080 gaming is an i5 and a 970/R290. For 1440 you just need a better GPU. 4K is still a bit of a stretch without going SLI 990s. You don't need to pay out for workstation parts, and I doubt you ever will. And you only need an i7 if you're running one of the few games which really benefits from HT.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
No they won't: no one builds a gaming machine with workstation parts. The current sweet spot for 1080 gaming is an i5 and a 970/R290. For 1440 you just need a better GPU. 4K is still a bit of a stretch without going SLI 990s. You don't need to pay out for workstation parts, and I doubt you ever will. And you only need an i7 if you're running one of the few games which really benefits from HT.
The reasons for workstation parts are:

Declining PC desktop market. PC parts are selling with every quarter worse and worse. OEMs have two choices: Raise the prices, or sell more parts. What do you think will they do?

Top of the line Intel CPU Broadwell E is rumored to cost 1599$. Top of the line Haswell-E CPU cost 1099$. And it is not a joke.

Secondly: more and more PC's will be NUC type or All-in-Ones. Thats the goal what OEMs, especially Intel, have. Why? Because buing whole computer each and every new generation will bring more revenue than single parts.

Third. Lifespan of desktop PC is much wider than it was few years ago, and nothing shows that this trend will change. Tahiti chip is decent for gaming even today, and it was 2012 GPU.

Only way you will be able to make custom PC, like today you can will be Workstation parts. Because that will not change for a long time. Why? They will have much higher price margin than "normal" parts. And this part is most important here. Unless for gaming you will want to have a NUC or All-in-One you will only be able to make custom PC from workstation parts. And the reason for it is... declining desktop market and declining revenue for OEMs.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Top of the line Intel CPU Broadwell E is rumored to cost 1599$. Top of the line Haswell-E CPU cost 1099$. And it is not a joke.

And no one buys those for gaming machines. You can get an i5-4690K for ~US$200, and build an entire machine for ~US$1,000. It's more than enough for gaming.

Secondly: more and more PC's will be NUC type or All-in-Ones. Thats the goal what OEMs, especially Intel, have. Why? Because buing whole computer each and every new generation will bring more revenue than single parts.

Gamers build their machines.

Tahiti chip is decent for gaming even today, and it was 2012 GPU.

Tahiti is borderline for serious gaming. It will run GTAV or Fallout 4 if you turn down the rendering settings and game in 1080. It's pretty much unusable for 1440.

Needless to say, I disagree with you.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
And no one buys those for gaming machines. You can get an i5-4690K for ~US$200, and build an entire machine for ~US$1,000. It's more than enough for gaming.
It was not meant to tell what will be used for gaming, but how prices will go up in CPU department in future in desktop.

Gamers build their machines.
Yes, they do. For how much longer will they be able to buy custom Core i5, i& CPUs not in BGA form?

Tahiti is borderline for serious gaming. It will run GTAV or Fallout 4 if you turn down the rendering settings and game in 1080. It's pretty much unusable for 1440.
That is correct, but 80% of market is still on 1080p.
Needless to say, I disagree with you.
Fair enough :).

Last edited:

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
It was not meant to tell what will be used for gaming, but how prices will go up in CPU department in future in desktop.

Even if prices do go up, you don't need more than 4 cores + HT for gaming. There's no need to spend US$1,000 on a gaming CPU.

Yes, they do. For how much longer?

For the foreseeable future. In all of the gaming forums I read, almost no one used a pre-built machine. Putting together a machine has gotten so easy that almost anyone can do it. I can swap CPUs in about five minutes.

That is correct, but 80% of market is still on 1080p.

According to the latest Steam survey, only about 35% of people are at 1080. What surprised me the most was the large number of people running ultrawide/multiple monitor setups: 29%. There are a lot more people running ultrawide than 4K.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
You will need more than 4 cores sooner than you think. When true DX12 lifts off the development of games - it will be no brainer. Thankfully with Cannonlake you will have mainstream 4,6 and 8 core configs. The question is: what prices will they have ;). Don't expect that they will change the price tags too much, and you will be able to buy 4 core for less than 100$.

Only time will tell ;).

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
You will need more than 4 cores sooner than you think. When true DX12 lifts off the development of games - it will be no brainer. Thankfully with Cannonlake you will have mainstream 4,6 and 8 core configs. The question is: what prices will they have ;). Don't expect that they will change the price tags too much, and you will be able to buy 4 core for less than 100$.

Only time will tell ;).

I'm taking a wait and see attitude about Vulkan/DX12, just because I do that with all new tech. But, yes, you are right: we will all find out what happens together.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
According to the latest Steam survey, only about 35% of people are at 1080. What surprised me the most was the large number of people running ultrawide/multiple monitor setups: 29%. There are a lot more people running ultrawide than 4K.

I think the multi monitor data in the steam survey only counts people who have multi monitor displays. So basically the most popular resolution for a single display is 1080p. Of people who have multiple displays, the most popular configuration is 2 1080p monitors. Both ultra wide and 4k monitors are still a very small piece of steam gamers since they are so new and expensive.

Only time will tell ;).

I don't really believe this. Yes, DX12 may better utilize multi-core processors to feed the graphics card but most games now only use 1 or 2 threads. For the foreseeable future it will be much more beneficial for gaming to have 4 faster cores than 6, 8 or 10 slower cores.

I don't think there is a ton of demand for more cores. Just look at the move from many slower cores in the Playstation 3 to fewer faster ones in the Playstation 4.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude about Vulkan/DX12, just because I do that with all new tech. But, yes, you are right: we will all find out what happens together.

Agreed.

Reactions: jblagden and koyoot

nolankvn

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
There won't be a gaming Mac for a very simple reason: gaming hardware is a niche market, and, the Mac Pro aside, Apple doesn't do niche markets. If you add total 2014 profits from both Asus and MSI you get what apple made in 6 days, and that's assuming that 100% of their profits came from gaming hardware, which is, obviously, wrong. I'm pretty sure if you added together all of the gaming profits from every gaming hardware company, and included all the CPUs and GPUs bought by gamers, you'd get, maybe, a month of Apple's profits.

The Apple Watch is a niche product. The iPad Pro is also a niche product (and in a market that's declining). I am willing to bet that there would be a worthy amount of demand for a more robust consumer machine than the iMac. A lot of people build their own PC's because PC manufacturers are garbage.

Also, comparing the profits of PC manufacturers and saying it's not a worthwhile endeavor for Apple makes no sense. The entire reason Apple's profits are so high is because they charge their products at a premium, why would a gaming machine be any different?

The only reason Apple will not be building a gaming machine is because Apple doesn't, and has never had, a culture that values the needs of games. The PC gaming market is still growing. Esports is an exploding industry and it's happening almost entirely on the PC.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
The Apple Watch is a niche product.

Apple sold more watches in one year than all the other smartwatch makers combined. It's an industry with a massive potential upside.

pple's profits are so high is because they charge their products at a premium, why would a gaming machine be any different?

And no one would buy it, me included, if it cost 1.5x or 2.0x what you could build on your own.

The gaming market is growing.

Part of the gaming market are growing. But gaming hardware is declining with the rest of the PC industry, Apple excluded.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
PC gaming is itself a niche when you consider mobile and console games. Many more people own a console or smartphone than those that have built a $1000 gaming PC.

A big problem is that games are mostly for windows. Who would buy a gaming mac that cost twice as much as a PC and then you had to pay for windows and install it. Why would Apple make that machine? If Apple wanted to take games seriously, it would start by adding more support for games on its existing hardware and then maybe branch out into dedicated hardware.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
PC gaming is itself a niche when you consider mobile and console games.

PC gaming numbers and revenue are larger than console sales. And, while mobile gaming is growing, it hasn't hit PC levels yet.

[/quote]Many more people own a console or smartphone than those that have built a $1000 gaming PC.[/quote]

This is questionable. The best selling console of all time, the PS2, only sold about 155 million globally. The PS4 has only sold about 36 million. If you add together those sales, plus sales of the XBox 360 and XboxOne, you get the low end of estimated PC gaming installed base. The high end is closer to 900 million.

A big problem is that games are mostly for windows. Who would buy a gaming mac that cost twice as much as a PC and then you had to pay for windows and install it

Pretty much agree.

nolankvn

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2015
And no one would buy it, me included, if it cost 1.5x or 2.0x what you could build on your own.

People already buy Macs and iPhones at much higher markups than the competition. Even with PC gaming culture being as entrenched as it is that's a pretty myopic point of view.

Part of the gaming market are growing. But gaming hardware is declining with the rest of the PC industry, Apple excluded.

Okay? As you already pointed out, Apple excluded. If anything entering a segment of a market you're already in would be a good way to keep revenue up long term.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
A big problem is that games are mostly for windows. Who would buy a gaming mac that cost twice as much as a PC and then you had to pay for windows and install it.

Me!
The whole point is to have a legit Mac that can also be great at gaming.

Both worlds - One machine.
[doublepost=1453591965][/doublepost]
There won't be a gaming Mac for a very simple reason: gaming hardware is a niche market...

Huh?

Take a maxed out iMac's internals (or even lower and go i5 for a gaming machine), pair it with a desktop GPU (vs Mobile) and remove it from a required screen enclosure.

Done.

Reactions: jblagden

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
Take a maxed out iMac's internals (or even lower and go i5 for a gaming machine), pair it with a desktop GPU (vs Mobile) and remove it from a required screen enclosure.

Which doesn't solve the problem of getting people to buy it. As mentioned, most popular games aren't ported to OS X. To convince the publishers to do this, you'd have to show them a large enough installed base, which you won't have without games to buy.

And, as I mentioned, from Apple's perspective, why invest all that money for, maybe, a month of iPhone revenue? All of the revenue, on the gaming side, is in the software, especially as more publishers more to paid DLC and/or microstransactions. Both the PS4 and XBone sell at a loss and make what little money they do make, relative to Apple, in software exclusive licensing. There's almost no financial upside for Apple to do this.

All that aside, I'd love for Apple to make a machine which would allow me to upgrade CPU and GPU, but I know it ain't gonna happen.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013

VR, games that use Low-Level APIs that came from Mantle, all of this will require lots of amounts of compute capable hardware with working context switching and hardware scheduling that is done on hardware level, not software level.

Multicore CPU support is also key idea for Mantle-ish APIs: DirectX12, Vulkan, Metal.

P.S. Is Xeon E3 not a workstation part?
I thought the whole point of low-level APIs was so you didn’t need powerful multi-core CPUs.
[doublepost=1453595888][/doublepost]
People already buy Macs and iPhones at much higher markups than the competition. Even with PC gaming culture being as entrenched as it is that's a pretty myopic point of view.

Okay? As you already pointed out, Apple excluded. If anything entering a segment of a market you're already in would be a good way to keep revenue up long term.
Exactly! The people who would be interesting in a gaming desktop are Mac users who want a Mac which is a proper gaming computer. This would be people who bought a maxed-out Mac Mini or iMac for gaming and or occasional light video editing.

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
I thought the whole point of low-level APIs was so you didn’t need powerful multi-core CPUs.

The opposite: they can actually use multiple cores more efficiently. All current GPU drivers are essentially single-threaded because of the limitations of OpenGL/DX11. If you look at something which really abuses the render queue, like X-Plane, you will see the all the rendering is done in a single thread because the overhead in syncing multiple render threads from multiple cores gets very messy very quickly. Additionally, Vulkan/Metal/DX12 allows you to do things like bake in GPU state changes so the CPU has to do zero work creating the next render state which will safe an enormous amount of overhead.

Exactly! The people who would be interesting in a gaming desktop are Mac users who want a Mac which is a proper gaming computer. This would be people who bought a maxed-out Mac Mini or iMac for gaming and or occasional light video editing.

And play what exactly? Like I said, almost none of the big titles are on OS X. The ones I play the most—Project Cars, Mass Effect, Fallout 4 and GTA V—are all Windows-only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.