Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Keep this up and all the companies saying Apple is too locked down will be begging Apple to lock it back down. And the wheel just keeps on turning. Big game companies should create their own emulators, charge a small subscription fee and offer all the classics hassle free. Bet they would make a nice profit and cut into those side loading illegal copies. iTunes took a huge cut into the MP3 download sites (not to mention all the malicious content that infected so many with "free" MP3 sites. I can see a huge uptick in infections with all the "free" game sites that will pop up soon. Best of luck to those who do not know how to be careful.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
True—but maybe its more like 50%—the other half is being able to buy Kindle books inside the Amazon/Kindle app.

In the US, Apple has 61% market control of smartphones. Imagine if Microsoft didn't allow PCs to install applications they didn't get 30% of, how totalitarian that would be. If Apple truly cared about digital safety, they would allow app devs to sell in-app media without taking a 30% cut. Maybe bring it down to 5% and its a win-win for everybody—Apple, the app developer, and the iOS user. A 30% share is just absolutely stupid for some business models.
To be fair, gaming consoles, take 30% for both physical and digital sales, and retailers take another 10-30%. And that's just gaming. On top of that, pretty much all retail, both web based and brink an mortar take 30% of third party sales. So you buy a pair of work boots from Walmart, Walmart gets a cut. Hell, even Steam even charges 30%, MS does a 12/30 system similar to Apple's 15/30. Even the big "Apple is bad for charging anything" proponent, Epic, charges 12-15%.

(basically, if you sell under a certain threshold, you get charged a lower percentage)

But no, Apple is the greedy party that needs to take only 5%

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
I can't understand this clearly from the article: is Delta coming to App Store for iPad in EU yes or no? "iPad debut" means nothing since it's already available in US for example.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
To be fair, gaming consoles, take 30% for both physical and digital sales, and retailers take another 10-30%. And that's just gaming. On top of that, pretty much all retail, both web based and brink an mortar take 30% of third party sales. So you buy a pair of work boots from Walmart, Walmart gets a cut. Hell, even Steam even charges 30%, MS does a 12/30 system similar to Apple's 15/30. Even the big "Apple is bad for charging anything" proponent, Epic, charges 12-15%.

(basically, if you sell under a certain threshold, you get charged a lower percentage)

Holy **** you didn't understand anything I said.

I said "in-app" media.

And Apple having 61% market control means its impacting startups that can't afford to increase prices by 30% over bigger competitors who would have 30% less prices. If you were trying to startup an ebook business, how would you grow your company if forced to charge $12.99 for ebooks in-app if Amazon is selling ebooks for $9.99 and has the marketshare and customer-base to not need to do that?

I said if Apple charged 5% of in-app media—just an example—they would still make "free" money off every digital media good sold—and thats a win for everybody. It's viable for startups to take a 5% hit, but not a 30% hit, off every digital good sold (eg. ebooks). But Apple wants to control the market to prevent competition with their own IP (Apple Books, Apple Music, etc) which is why they are facing scrutiny for competitive practices.

I wasn't claiming they shouldn't charge 30% for apps and games—I was talking about in-app media.

If you're going to end your comment in sarcasm, at least comprehend what you're being sarcastic about.

Reactions: klasma

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
All you typed was codswallop. You don’t know anything about business.

Consoles are the most closed systems that exist and they have a big duopoly. Lawmakers didn’t try to open those up to side loading because there’s no benefit. They want to crack open your phones to get that juicy data and scam you.
All you typed was bull-swallow.

If you had even a 3rd grade reading comprehension you'd have read my comment as me specifying in-app media such as ebooks—not apps and game sales.

Reactions: wbeasley

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
True—but maybe its more like 50%—the other half is being able to buy Kindle books inside the Amazon/Kindle app.

In the US, Apple has 61% market control of smartphones. Imagine if Microsoft didn't allow PCs to install applications they didn't get 30% of, how totalitarian that would be.

I have no problems with this and I wished Microsoft did.

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016

It’s why a lot of retail brands are moving as many costumers over to buying directly from there own e-commerce platform or stores. Foot locker is struggling a lot since Nike has started selling more stuff direct to consumer

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
I wonder if using an emulator on a phone or iPad is a better user experience than just buying a dirt-cheap hardware emulator from Amazon that already has a bunch of games pre-loaded? 🤔

View attachment 2372979
Miyoo Mini's are an absolute gem - only caveat that N64 emulators are not supported and to use the DS emulator can be pretty limited. But they are still fantastic

Reactions: klasma

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I can't understand this clearly from the article: is Delta coming to App Store for iPad in EU yes or no? "iPad debut" means nothing since it's already available in US for example.
The current app is not a universal binary. When you run it on an iPad it’s just the iPhone app with a scale-up option. This will presumably be a universal app that runs with a more tailored layout and resolution on an iPad.

In other news, the EU have just designated iPadOS as a gate keeper, too, so presumably third party app stores will come there, too, in time.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Been enjoying this and fell back into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my iPad, I'm hoping the iPad specific version will have a full screen mode for those of us wanting to use a controller.
Yes, and the aspect ratio of the 12.9” would be ideal for that.

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Any chance that the next update would
Include GameCube emulation?
Doubtful. GameCube really needs JIT if you want a good experience and Apple doesn’t allow JIT to be enabled for App Store apps. Maybe in a few years as phones get more powerful it will be fine but the tech just isn’t there yet.

Reactions: ackmondual

andreagrandi

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2020
The current app is not a universal binary. When you run it on an iPad it’s just the iPhone app with a scale-up option. This will presumably be a universal app that runs with a more tailored layout and resolution on an iPad.

In other news, the EU have just designated iPadOS as a gate keeper, too, so presumably third party app stores will come there, too, in time.
Thanks! So, an optimised version for non-EU market is coming, but nothing yet for EU (until the next deadline etc....) ?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Thanks! So, an optimised version for non-EU market is coming, but nothing yet for EU (until the next deadline etc....) ?
It’s unclear how universal apps intersect with the rules for third party app stores which are currently only mandated for iOS and not iPadOS. Once the rules apply equally to both the situation should be much easier to navigate.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Keep this up and all the companies saying Apple is too locked down will be begging Apple to lock it back down. And the wheel just keeps on turning. Big game companies should create their own emulators, charge a small subscription fee and offer all the classics hassle free. Bet they would make a nice profit and cut into those side loading illegal copies. iTunes took a huge cut into the MP3 download sites (not to mention all the malicious content that infected so many with "free" MP3 sites. I can see a huge uptick in infections with all the "free" game sites that will pop up soon. Best of luck to those who do not know how to be careful.
For those that have their own hardware... Nintendo, M$, and Sony, they want to push people to their own ecosystem and hardware.

For those that don't, that's still debatable. They already have their games on consoles and/or desk/laptop. There are more hassles for dealing with mobile, such an OS that's more likely to break things and incur much extra man hours to fix things whenever a major update comes by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.