Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
WEEEEEE! All the play in all the world!

I didn't buy junk today...sadly.

Tonight shall be fun ;)

I want an xBox one to replace my 360, where as my daughter wants a PS 4 (cause her friends have them). I don't really want or need both. Thoughts?

I picked the Xbox One because

A) All my friends have it.
B) I think it has a better game selection.

That being said, since your daughter wants a PS4 I'd just get that. As time goes on, consoles get cheaper and I'm sure you'll be able to buy a Xbox One for ~$200 in no time..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Tonight shall be fun ;)

I picked the Xbox One because

A) All my friends have it.
B) I think it has a better game selection.

That being said, since your daughter wants a PS4 I'd just get that. As time goes on, consoles get cheaper and I'm sure you'll be able to buy a Xbox One for ~$200 in no time..

But I'd get buyers remorse when the new Halo comes out if I buy the PS4. But I'd get ear ache if I get the xBox.

phibe1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I just found the most attractive mechanical pen ever. Just ordered the Retro 51 Hex-o-matic ballpoint pen in matte black.

Photo courtesy of ClickyPen.

While looking for a pen I also picked another rival from Germany - the rOtring Rapid PRO technical drawing pen in matte black.

616mJqviJYL._SL1500_.jpg

You just made me spend a lot of money on a pen. Hope I do not lose it!

Last edited by a moderator:

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
For some stupid reason, I've been holding out on switching to a SSD for at least two years. I was at Best Buy and saw this PNY Optima 240GB SSD for $99. I couldn't pass up the deal. I just finished installing OS X Yosemite and transferring data and I'm already loving the difference.

Image courtesy of The SSD Review.
PNY-OPTIMA-SSD-ON-BOX.png

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Do you guys (possibly girls?) ever miss wearing glasses?

I like wearing glasses.. I just hate having to wear contacts in order to wear sunglasses. And I don't like prescription sunglasses, because then I have to carry both my glasses and sunglasses with me and it's a pain.[/url]

I had a spare pair of Gucci sunglasses and turned them into eyeglasses. I added Transition lenses. Works perfect as both. Otherwise as you said it would be a hassle.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Mint condition 17'' PowerBook G4

So the other day I managed to get a mint condition 17'' PowerBook G4.

Everything is like new, the hinge feels stiff, not loose, the trackpad and keyboard look like they've never been used and the display is excellent. My guess is this has been used as a desktop machine for most of if not all of its life, Most likely in clamshell mode or something. The battery has only done now 101 recharge cycles in ten years.

Not bad considering I only paid £65 it. The only downside is the that internal hard drive is pretty much dead and I can't get a new one fitted as someone has stripped two of the screws in the battery compartment, making it difficult to change.

HZF7TJS.jpg

daveuk82

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Birmingham
the stripped screws are removable check this link outhttp://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

So the other day I managed to get a mint condition 17'' PowerBook G4.

Everything is like new, the hinge feels stiff, not loose, the trackpad and keyboard look like they've never been used and the display is excellent. My guess is this has been used as a desktop machine for most of if not all of its life, Most likely in clamshell mode or something. The battery has only done now 101 recharge cycles in ten years.

Not bad considering I only paid £65 it. The only downside is the that internal hard drive is pretty much dead and I can't get a new one fitted as someone has stripped two of the screws in the battery compartment, making it difficult to change.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
while interesting, none of those seem feasible for the fragile environment of--/ & the kind of fine screws used in-- computers

i've decided just to use my FW 800 G-tech mini external which I fitted with a 2.5'' 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Black, the performance is pretty good to be honest. I wonder if FW is actually gonna be a better option instead of IDE these days anyway?

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2014
awesome! Ive wanted to do it for a long time but I'm too scared. My vision isn't terrible but it would be nice to not have to wear glasses all the time.
Don't do it. Wear contacts!
Srsly, waste of money! I've done it and i regret it. My vision is better, but not perfect, i still have to wear glasses/contacts! So what's the point? Plus is not safe at all!

Team Timm

macrumors regular
May 17, 2012
FL
Srsly, waste of money! I've done it and i regret it. My vision is better, but not perfect, i still have to wear glasses/contacts! So what's the point? Plus is not safe at all!

I have to say no to all of this.

I got PRK last year and it was the best thing I had ever done. I had astigmatisms in both eyes so I had to wear contacts/glasses whenever I had my eyes open, otherwise I got the worst migraines. Of course, no procedure is "safe" but now most places do these things thousands of times throughout the month/year and as long as you do your research, you will be fine. With PRK, the healing processes is the WORST part (3-4 days of being uncomfortable), the procedure itself was super simple, just keep your eyes open and the machine does all the work. I now see 20/15, better than 20/20. Contact and glasses free for a year+ now.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere

i can't wear contacts .. i can't touch my eyes lol

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
50" Vizio P-Series UHD 4K TV. Sound is not as good as my 46" Samsung but the picture is incredible. Too bad now I might need a new TV stand/hanging setup because it doesn't want to play nice with the one I already have.

8509428_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

And preordered GTA V for the PS4.

7358056_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Needed new speakers to go with my new LG 34UM95, so decided on these with the matching stands.

A2_plus_B_lifestyle.jpg

Also needed a mouse, tried to use the Magic Trackpad but it's way too inconvenient to use with a UWA monitor.

logitech-marathon-mouse-m705-s31-460.jpg

ninn

macrumors member
May 8, 2010

No procedure is safe. I made sure to find the most experienced surgeon in my area. It cost more than the chain type places, but she also offers retreatments if your vision is so far off of 20/20 after (can't remember the details).

I'll still need to wear reading glasses when I'm older, but hopefully will be able to get that taken care of when that procedure matures.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i can't wear contacts .. i can't touch my eyes lol

Same here! I'll stick with my glasses; no way I'm touching my eyeballs!

I am in exactly the same position, gentlemen and harbour similar (I'll grant, perhaps, illogical) feelings on the matter. Indeed, the idea of something that close, or in uneasy proximity to the surface of my already imperfect ocular lenses does not appeal to me………in the slightest.

----------

Needed new speakers to go with my new LG 34UM95, so decided on these with the matching stands.

Also needed a mouse, tried to use the Magic Trackpad but it's way too inconvenient to use with a UWA monitor.

Very nice, I hope they work out well for you.

Some time ago, I got a set of the lovely B&W MM1 speakers, to do exactly what yours are doing, but they are still nestled in their unopened box on the sofa, near my computer…..

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
Since Firewire is being phased out, you can get some really good deals on the used market. I just got this 6 months old Desktop Konnekt 6 Audio Interface for a bargain on ebay. I use it to connect my electric guitar and a Mic to my Mac and so far I'm quite pleased with the quality.

06814_tc_electronic_tc_electronic_desktop_konnekt__1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.