Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Sweden
Had some contact with the Hong Kong seller of the $60 flashed card, he says: As the card has pins 3 and 11 isolated from the connector (yes it's true, traces are cut) the card doesn't work for this early Sawtooth model. If it was in its original state it would have worked...
Does it seem likely? Computer boots up fine with excellent image and suddenly it just freezes, so the freezing would be a symptom of the traces 3 and 11 being cut? Seems if it's a hardware problem it wouldn't work at all?

When checking around it seems I actually got an Ati Radeon 9250 256MB and not a Radeon 9200 128MB as stated on the sales page. Card only has markings PN 1024-13-05-SA and SKU# 11046-01 so it takes a round of googling to find out.

I could repair the traces and try again but I was leaning more towards downloading drivers myself and install those. I found a page listing various drivers for various OS:es... can't find it at the moment. I was pretty sure I had saved it somewhere... darnit.

I was given an AGP card with one of those power tabs and an ADC port (also VGA) that was originally in a G4 (M8493) - which is the Quicksilver AFAIK?
It's a nVidia card marked 900-06615-0436-60E... as well as 630-3674, seems to be 64MB judging from the RAM capsules and GeForce2 MX? (it's also tagged 600-9090).
Will it work in the Sawtooth running OS9? The power connector is only for the ADC-port as far as I can tell from comments in this thread? So as previously mentioned a passive ADC to DVI adapter could perhaps work, or the VGA connector?

@amedias Let me know if you find anything useful.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
is this still in OS 9?

as iv mentioned numerous times the card I told you NOT to get

that you still bought, DOES NOT work well in OS 9.2.2

Just buy a Radeon 9000 Pro or such and use that in your sawtooth and all will be golden (just make sure your using the OS 9 lives universal 9.2.2 image or an MDD OS 9 image so you have the latest ATI drivers)

e5frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Sweden
Yes, still OS9, shipped the card back, waiting to get it replaced with an Apple branded Radeon 9000 Pro. Should probably only take about 6 months or something like that... ;-)

It's possible it would "not work well" (however it was used) but this one didn't work at all more than a little while and even with the original card re-inserted it still froze which makes it feel like a driver error as well (or maybe only that).
Perhaps the installed driver and the old card just didn't like each other, had a quarrel on each restart and then decided to go their separate ways after 2-10 minutes... (lockup).
Seems odd to me, but I'm a VIC-20, C64, Amiga, PC-guy... so I have no idea.

I don't know what the two "taped" pins on the card does (the traces where cut) and if it should still boot or not if it's configured wrong - according to the seller this machine should not have the traces cut. I have tested some plain PC AGP graphic cards as well along the way, some have booted up fine but the resolution has been locked to a single low resolution no matter if using VGA or DVI (where available).

Card is shipped back and it's no longer my problem, will shout out again if there's any problem with the new card.

Machine is freshly reinstalled and all is working well apart from the screen width problem.

I'll see if I can find that "OS 9 lives universal 9.2.2 image" you mention.

e5frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Sweden
Got delivery of the Radeon 9000 Pro card...
There's four 470µF capacitors that are a little taller than the rest of the components on the board, these look like they have been pounded with another PCB. Indents in the metal on top.
There's not a scratch on the two ESD bags it was placed in - so it's something that happened before shipping, piled up stuff I'm guessing. This was in the bottom of the pile.

So I'm a bit disappointed, seller thinks they're fine they have been tested "for several hours"...
But I ordered new low ESR 105 degree Panasonic caps with 6000h expected life time at the top rated temperature. So those should last far longer than needed.

I'm sure the emergency venting function will suffer from this. Haven't opened the bag yet, took a couple of images, shows pretty well on this cap:
DSC_0129.JPG

At least it's an original Apple card, labeled 630-3352 as well as 630-4716 - (he wrote, hoping not to hear this was some special special card that won't work).
If the caps are the only problem it will be up and running next week.

Let me know where the blacklist is and I'll put him up there in case he doesn't want to do anything about it.

Thanks for all your support, great to be invited to a community as warm and fuzzy as the ones for vintage video games.

e5frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Sweden
The worst one has a crack in the security vent, it's likely dried up and **** for capacitance. I'm mostly afraid of a short though.
Hopefully it will work out fine when done...

e5frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Sweden
... for free. Got my money back on this one, it's apparently good to be very descriptive and send a lot of images. Below a ruptured cap. Most likely dry.

DSC_0156.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.