Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pakra

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2021
Courtesy of Techmoan's latest video, VideoNow Color FX had translucent versions of their portable video players.
515DCZ7NR8L._AC_.jpg

Reactions: Amethyst1

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I saw this too, but don't think it is quite the same. As far as my (armchair) research went, there was plenty of interest in "clear" products, such as soda, furniture and fashion items. But colourful plastics seem to have not existed to in serious extent before 1998.
Of course there were many of them...
S92evg1.jpg

LEGO had transparent bricks starting from 1950s.

More interesting info here:

Y’all can harp on all you want about translucent plastic products, but I miss letting go of my hecking land line phone given as a gift in 1990:

b9552700868984c41fd7cafd2e57eee7.jpg

Then again, after over twenty years of use, mine was worse for wear cosmetically — with a long-loose internal piece banging about in the base (that gold-hued plate near the cord receptacle) and the coiled cord being replaced with a working, but ugly tan replacement (because cats like to chew wires). But it worked flawlessly otherwise until the last time I took a call on it.

The only pic I have of it is one as my friend was using it on a call, in which the green glow from the handset illuminated the side of her face. The base, when ringing, flashed in orange. It was a good phone, and the call sound quality was better than every digital mobile phone I’ve ever used.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Even Intel jumped on the translucent bandwagon, with their kid-targeted Me2Cam (webcam) and USB Microscope (circa 1999/2000):

Intel Play Me2Cam 4.jpg
Intel Play Me2Cam 1.jpg
Intel Play USB microscope.jpg

Also, for maybe a year or so in 2001, Target sold a whole series of office supplies in translucent “fruit” hues, including three-ring binders, file boxes, CD desk racks, recipe boxes, and even scissors. I still have almost all of these in purple/“grape”, and I also have the orange/“tangerine”, green/“lime”, and blue/“blueberry” in three-ring binders. I was never a fan of the red-fuchsia/“strawberry” series, so I have none of that around.

Here are those binders. I didn’t bother with digging out the recipe box, CD rack, and scissors, but I have those, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_234948.jpg
    IMG_20220501_234948.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: mectojic

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Here are those binders. I didn’t bother with digging out the recipe box, CD rack, and scissors, but I have those, too.
Hey nice! They look authentic to the era. I find that modern ones have a different/ more muted colour palette. Usually the bold fruit colours and presence of curves/blobs is a giveaway.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Hey nice! They look authentic to the era. I find that modern ones have a different/ more muted colour palette. Usually the bold fruit colours and presence of curves/blobs is a giveaway.

Yah. At the time, Target only sold these in the five “fruit”-themed hues. I passed on the pink-red “strawberry” binder and still don’t regret doing that. I went, instead, overboard on their other “grape” offerings since that was a hue family I really loved at the time.

It’s worth mentioning how Target (the U.S. Target, I mean, not the Oz one) never really delved into selling graphite or bondi-themed office supplies. They also didn’t bother with the second round of Apple hues like ruby, sage, and indigo, but one could buy incidentally bondi-hued appliances — such as electric irons, upright vacuum cleaners, and the ubiquitous vtech cordless phones (which I do remember also being sold in at least grape and strawberry where I was). Target even sold, for a time, the Epson 540 ink-jet printers in tangerine and blueberry (I used to own a secondhand unit in tangerine).

Around 2003 or so, the translucent fruit hues in products being sold at Target began to dwindle as they began to merchandise more post-modernist signature stuff from Michael Graves (I bought two of the Graves laptop cases they sold, and I still have one of these to this very day; it’s where my first clamshell iBook lived when on the go). Target even sold a short-lived Philippe Starck collection of houseware products (I still have a 2003–04-era Starck soap dish in a translucent chartreuse hue). His housewares were a far cry from the austere, high-contrast stuff from the Starck Club days, but it was still unmistakably his minimalist, highly creased, inorganic style.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Y’all can harp on all you want about translucent plastic products, but I miss letting go of my hecking land line phone given as a gift in 1990:

b9552700868984c41fd7cafd2e57eee7.jpg

Then again, after over twenty years of use, mine was worse for wear cosmetically — with a long-loose internal piece banging about in the base (that gold-hued plate near the cord receptacle) and the coiled cord being replaced with a working, but ugly tan replacement (because cats like to chew wires). But it worked flawlessly otherwise until the last time I took a call on it.

The only pic I have of it is one as my friend was using it on a call, in which the green glow from the handset illuminated the side of her face. The base, when ringing, flashed in orange. It was a good phone, and the call sound quality was better than every digital mobile phone I’ve ever used.
Hey, that was my phone from 1989 till around 98 ish? :D

Hey, that was my phone from 1989 till around 98 ish? :D

I let go of it after 21 years when I moved intercity to where I live now. It amounted to dead weight, and with the loose weight bouncing around in the base, if I really wanted another one for nostalgia, I could just find a used one in less worn condition. Still, the one I had went with me a lot of places, and I do miss it.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some more discoveries:

The world's first "gaming mouse" (i.e. mouse designed explicitly for gaming), was the Razer Boomslang, in 1999. And sure enough, the high-dpi version was translucent. (It's a super rare collector's item now.)

Razer Boomslang 1999 b.png

Also, I've been searching recently for any translucent devices that would match the red of an iMac G3 Ruby. It seems that once Apple swapped from fruit-colours to jewel-tones, and simultaneously scrapped the colour-matching keyboard and mouse, most 3rd-party manufacturers gave up on colour-matching anymore; hence, not many Indigo, Ruby and Sage peripherals were created.

However, I have found some – the George Foreman grill, as mentioned earlier, and the Epson Stylus 777i – nice job to them for colour-matching the cable, and even recreating Apple's style of power cable too!

Epson Stylus 777i Ruby 1.jpg

And also, while clearly not meant to match Apple, here is a translucent red PS/2 Yahoo internet keyboard:
Yahoo Keyboard 1.jpg

The "Cherub" company is still known for manufacturing high-end mechanical metronomes. Now that everyone can get a metronome app, I expect they're not selling much anymore. But back in the day, even they made a translucent variant:

Cherub Metronome WSM-330 1.jpg
Cherub Metronome WSM-330 2.jpg

And something else for fun – the ORIGINAL Apple Watch. Yes, it was officially Apple.

Apple watch WatchEs.jpg

Some more discoveries:

The world's first "gaming mouse" (i.e. mouse designed explicitly for gaming), was the Razer Boomslang, in 1999. And sure enough, the high-dpi version was translucent. (It's a super rare collector's item now.)

View attachment 2035868

Also, I've been searching recently for any translucent devices that would match the red of an iMac G3 Ruby. It seems that once Apple swapped from fruit-colours to jewel-tones, and simultaneously scrapped the colour-matching keyboard and mouse, most 3rd-party manufacturers gave up on colour-matching anymore; hence, not many Indigo, Ruby and Sage peripherals were created.

However, I have found some – the George Foreman grill, as mentioned earlier, and the Epson Stylus 777i – nice job to them for colour-matching the cable, and even recreating Apple's style of power cable too!

View attachment 2035869

And also, while clearly not meant to match Apple, here is a translucent red PS/2 Yahoo internet keyboard:
View attachment 2035875

The "Cherub" company is still known for manufacturing high-end mechanical metronomes. Now that everyone can get a metronome app, I expect they're not selling much anymore. But back in the day, even they made a translucent variant:

View attachment 2035872 View attachment 2035873

And something else for fun – the ORIGINAL Apple Watch. Yes, it was officially Apple.

View attachment 2035870

That Apple watch would have looked dazzling in key lime.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I remember, that there were many Compact Flash and other type of memory card readers on the market, some of these were from Lexar in green and blue colour.

The later models in the late 2000s were more premium.
lexar.jpg

Some of these are still being sold:
Hama USB 2.0_SD1.jpg
Hama USB 2.0_SD2.jpg

And interestingly the Chinese are still doing these USB 2.0 microSD card readers:

usb-transparent.jpg

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
The Japan only Super Game Boy 2 only came in a transparent blue shell. Released Jan. 1998. I also somewhat take issue with the whole "iMac G3 inspired products" and putting later Game Boys in there when Nintendo had already been doing it years prior...

Also seems to be missing the transparent GBAs, Glacier and I think a pink one whose name escapes me.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The Japan only Super Game Boy 2 only came in a transparent blue shell. Released Jan. 1998. I also somewhat take issue with the whole "iMac G3 inspired products" and putting later Game Boys in there when Nintendo had already been doing it years prior...

Also seems to be missing the transparent GBAs, Glacier and I think a pink one whose name escapes me.
Hi, thanks for sharing that! I didn't know about that one.
Whilst many companies had made clear-plastic products through the 1990s, as my original thread says, not many companies used coloured translucent plastic before the iMac – the only major exceptions I could find were the Motorola Pager of 1994, and the Gameboy Pocket Japan-exclusive Clear Purple, which was released in Winter 1997... and now we can add the Japan-only Super Gameboy 2.

So, while Nintendo technically did come before Apple, they didn't really go really hard on the translucent designs (i.e. with the Gameboy Color/Advance), especially on the international market, until after the iMac was released.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas

Really interesting thread.

There was a translucent Game Boy in 1995 as part of the "Play It Loud" series. Nintendo also used colored translucent plastics with their "Funtastic" Nintendo 64 line, but that was in 1999 or 2000, after the release of the iMac G3.

edit: Sorry, I saw you already had this edition listed in your original post.

Attachments

• Game_Boy_Play_It_Loud!_Transparent_American_Edition.png
    Game_Boy_Play_It_Loud!_Transparent_American_Edition.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Really interesting thread.

There was a translucent Game Boy in 1995 as part of the "Play It Loud" series. Nintendo also used colored translucent plastics with their "Funtastic" Nintendo 64 line, but that was in 1999 or 2000, after the release of the iMac G3.

edit: Sorry, I saw you already had this edition listed in your original post.
I like that one! Yeah it was marketed as a 'skeleton' in some countries. It's clear plastic, but doesn't quite catch that 'frosted glass' look of the colourful products that came later.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
As already written in the first post by mectojic, the interesting part of these translucent craze were also the computer mices :)

Many from macally (Optical Micro Mouse, iMouse Pro etc.), Logitech (iFeel, Wheelman etc.) and others like Dexxa, Genius, HAMA, A4Tech...

Some pictures here:
attic_mouse.jpg Logitech iFeel mouse.jpg logitech-l300.jpg logitech-wheelman_trans.jpg Macally Single Button USB.jpg macally transparent mouse2.jpg macally-05.JPG macally-06.JPG macally-micro-mouse_transparent.jpg maccally_iMouse_Pro.jpg

Mices with similar form to these above are still being sold by different Chinese sellers.

Some tests/reviews (in different languages) about these translucent mouses with pictures:

Here is an interesting unboxing of the Logitech iFeel Mouse with transparent/translucent bottom:
click on this link, because Youtube video cannot be embedded (the owner didn' allow)

Last edited:
As already written in the first post by mectojic, the interesting part of these translucent craze were also the computer mices :)

Many from macally (Optical Micro Mouse, iMouse Pro etc.), Logitech (iFeel, Wheelman etc.) and others like Dexxa, Genius, HAMA, A4Tech...

Some pictures here:
View attachment 2036946 View attachment 2036940 View attachment 2036941 View attachment 2036942 View attachment 2036944 View attachment 2036943 View attachment 2036947 View attachment 2036945 View attachment 2036948 View attachment 2036949

Mices with similar form to these above are still being sold by different Chinese sellers.

Some tests/reviews (in different languages) about these translucent mouses with pictures:

Here is an interesting unboxing of the Logitech iFeel Mouse with transparent/translucent bottom:
click on this link, because Youtube video cannot be embedded (the owner didn' allow)

I almost feel like that clear Macally mouse with the red PCB deserves its own thread on transparent plastics, along side the summer 2000 line of Apple peripherals. :)

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I almost feel like that clear Macally mouse with the red PCB deserves its own thread on transparent plastics, along side the summer 2000 line of Apple peripherals. :)
It's almost its own style, isn't it? There sure were a ton of peripherals made in that variety (some still are, if you include anything modern-transparent).

It's almost its own style, isn't it? There sure were a ton of peripherals made in that variety (some still are, if you include anything modern-transparent).

The clear plastic aesthetic, post-translucent colours era, feels a lot like the early/mid 2000s.

Think of that taillight treatment on cars, post-Lexus IS of 2000 (this comes to mind mostly because the very first one I saw, and the very first time I saw taillights like that, was on a display model showcased inside Keflavik International Airport in April that year). This aesthetic carried on until, at least, the later aughts, when tuner kids would, anachronistically, slap on cheap, aftermarket taillights with that appearance on stuff from the ’90s.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just had a realisation today. I had always thought that the Power Mac G4 was Apple's first use of its professional colour, "graphite" (to be later featured on iBooks and iMacs). Actually, that's not true. The first graphite product was announced a month earlier in July 1999 – the original Airport Base Station.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.54.58 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 7.54.58 am.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.