Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laura Pechman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 with touchbar and the screen suddenly stopped working. By the tests that I made apparently it's a problem with the backlight since I can see the entering page with a lantern.
I was searching and I saw that Apple did a recall because of the same problem but with the models from 2016. But I also saw that people with the same model as mine had this issue. Does anyone here have had it? Do you know if Apple is already considering doing a recall?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 with touchbar and the screen suddenly stopped working. By the tests that I made apparently it's a problem with the backlight since I can see the entering page with a lantern.
I was searching and I saw that Apple did a recall because of the same problem but with the models from 2016. But I also saw that people with the same model as mine had this issue. Does anyone here have had it? Do you know if Apple is already considering doing a recall?

They did have an issues with the display cable and a replacement program. You can search for "Flexgate" or "Stage light".

Laura Pechman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil
Thank you! Yes, I saw the threads that you mentioned but they only talk about the replacement of the 2016 models, either in the later models the same defaults were observed.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You should probably contact Apple and ask. You can reach them by chat or by phone, however, if you no longer have Apple Care, it may cost you by phone.

CP14

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
Experiencing the same issue since a week. Dont really know what to do ! Would really be a shame if Apple doesnt extend the replacement program to 2017 MBPs

Reactions: Chetna Thareja

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Experiencing the same issue since a week. Dont really know what to do ! Would really be a shame if Apple doesnt extend the replacement program to 2017 MBPs

Like I mentioned in the reply above, you need to contact Apple support. Apple stores are now closed until the end of April, early May so contacting support is your best bet.

RiccardoF

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Dear all, same issue here... but I have the 15" model. The 'free' replacement program is for the 13" only :(

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Same here, I am experiencing the backlight issue in my Mac Book Pro 2017 model. I took my Mac to apple service center today and they claim that this issue was only in 2016 model. Thus, 2017 models are not covered in this apple service quality program. If everyone is having the same issue, then it is definitely a problem with the product. Apple must acknowledge it.

Also there is a catch, Apple claims that "Affected devices were sold between October 2016 and February 2018". Thus, it makes me 100% sure that the problem could be with 2017 model as well because they didn't catch the product defect until 2018.

Last edited:

Laura Pechman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil
Yes, totally agree with you. I told this to the assistance and they told me that the model was replaces before 2018, but it doesn't make sense. Do you guys know what kind of thing could we do to protest? I only let a register and a complain in their system, is the only option that they proposed me.

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
No idea Laura.

There are tons of articles to substantiate on this though. I think for apple care this check should be pretty simple, if the cable is longer as compared to 2016 models. As per the link below, the cable length was increased in 2018 models.

md haque

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
I am also facing the same proble from yesterday...

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
I am also facing the same proble from yesterday...

i am experiencing exactly the same problem as shown in service program they have. i wonder why they did not include 2017 models which so many of us are experiencing too.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

7ZWJVV.md.png

Laura Pechman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil
Vou guys that are having this problema, are you registring in apple services? Because as they told me, a recall is only possible if a considerable number of the same problem is reported

jasonto

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I have same issue (Stage light). I brought it to service center but they told me the replacement program covered 2016 model and did not include MacBook Pro 2017.

ankeet227

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar(Bought in mid September 2017)

I have a complete blackout screen with some lighting on display(entirely black). Within one year of purchase i had exactly same issue and Apple replaced it for free as it was covered. (This was before September 2018)

I purchased extended warranty too but it got expired on 30th September 2020 and I am facing this within 15 days of expiring.(this is really disappointing)

Why there is no repair program for these models(like the 2016 models) as all have the same technology used. Also my screen was replaced in the same time frame and obviously the same available technology was used to fix my Laptop.

What should I do as it seems so unfair that the product was faulty from Day 1 of purchase and now ~800$ to fix it and the fixed display also can again go black at any time(per my experience it has done twice)

Laura Pechman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Brazil
What do you think we can do? The petition gás almost 500 signatures mas os online for months now... Does someone have any idea how the 2016 model got the recall?

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
I wrote to someone senior in Apple India, who assigned the ticket to someone and I followed up with them for almost two months. At the end they just closed my ticket abruptly saying the product was out of warranty.

All I asked them was to open my Macbook pro 2017 and check if it was the same issue that they did have in 2016 models. First they agreed and then denied. So honestly I don't know what we can do, but for now I am going to escalate it further.

Did anyone try posting to their twitter account?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ppdoc

ankeet227

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
Lets take it wherever we can as Apple has started degrading it products for profits and they force customers to buy new apple products. All the older Macbooks never had such stupid problems like flexgate, keyboard etc.
Keep me posted here or email and even i will try to do what it takes to get the MBP 2017 recalled.

update: Connected an external display to dont stop things running but this is just a work around, we need something solid as it is the defective product we've been buying and nobody seems to care about this

JP_123

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Thank you all for posting this. I am experiencing the same issue as of yesterday (MCP 2017, 2 Thunderbold USB-C). I contacted Apple Support Germany via phone and basically got the same message: "Your model isn't eligible for the extended warranty as its not the 2016 series." I will try to go to an apple store to discuss the matter in person. Have you had any updates or fixes? Have you considered trying to repair it yourself? I think the "twitter campaign" would be a good opportunity to apply some pressure to get our 2017 models repaired free of cost...

Reactions: ppdoc

ppdoc

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
Having the same issue with my MBP with Touch Bar 2017....I agree with the "twitter campaign" suggestion..

kikgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
I'm having the same issue with MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 touch bar. I hope they recall this model!

I used my 2009 MacBook Pro for 8 years. This one seems much more delicate. The volume of my 2017 Mac was shot shortly after I bought it as well.

Pp123443

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Has anyone had this issue solved? I spoke to apple on the phone. He told me that the 2017 macbook pro 13" had a free repair programme for the keyboard, as sometimes the keys on the keyboard get stuck and you have to press them really hard to get they key to work. He told me that if i mail in my mac for repair (I had to mail it in because of lockdown) for this keyboard issue, then the technician should take the mac apart to fix the keyboard and when he puts it back together it should fix the backlight issue aswell if i'm lucky. He also specified that this issue was because the cables connected to the backlight are too short for the mac and will stop working with time (confirming it is a design flaw). My mac should come back tomorrow, if the backlight issue has been fixed, i'll let you know.

Reactions: kikgo

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
My dad has a 2017 without touchbar. Never noticed this. Still works great.

Guyb

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2021
I was unlucky enough to buy a 2017 MB Pro. First issue I had was the keyboard (replaced by apple after a year). Then my camera stopped working randomly. Price to fix was the same price as getting a new MacBook Air with a trade it £600...

I sent the MacBook in to recycle and the trade in price was revised down to £0 due to this backlight issue that I'd never seen before I sent the laptop in the post. I had no idea this was another issue so have thrown away another £300 now. Pretty crazy to spend £1500 on a MB Pro in 2017 for it to be completely worthless 3 years later. Really unimpressed.

Are Apple still not acknowledging the black waves on the screen as an issue with 2017 MB Pros?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.