Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unhappy865

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
I have been communicating with Apple Support about this issue for months and still get the same answer over and over again, your MBP 2017 is out of warranty. Yesterday I went to Apple Store for the first time in Vienna. It was the worst Apple experience I've ever had. The manager "Benedict" repeatedly told me that "Apple tends to always make exceptions for their customer to be satisfied, but in your case, we decided we will not make any exception and will not change our minds". I strongly believe that Apple is fully aware of this backlight issue with the MBP 2017 and agreed on not covering the repair of a single MBP 2017, in order to avoid another (Low-quality scandal). Think about this! No one in the world facing this issue has been able to get Apple to fix his device. They know that if they acknowledge this issue and fix one MBP 2017, everyone having this issue will take his MBP back to them.

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
I have been communicating with Apple Support about this issue for months and still get the same answer over and over again, your MBP 2017 is out of warranty. Yesterday I went to Apple Store for the first time in Vienna. It was the worst Apple experience I've ever had. The manager "Benedict" repeatedly told me that "Apple tends to always make exceptions for their customer to be satisfied, but in your case, we decided we will not make any exception and will not change our minds". I strongly believe that Apple is fully aware of this backlight issue with the MBP 2017 and agreed on not covering the repair of a single MBP 2017, in order to avoid another (Low-quality scandal). Think about this! No one in the world facing this issue has been able to get Apple to fix his device. They know that if they acknowledge this issue and fix one MBP 2017, everyone having this issue will take his MBP back to them.
I'd call it short sightedness. As I understand everyone whoever bought MBP 2017 is going to face this issue sooner or later because of the flex cable issue. After going through such a frustrating experience, I am not sure how many of us would like to buy an apple product in future. We pay a hefty premium to apple all because of the trust and credibility.

JKASingh

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021

Lawsuit was filed in Aug of last year. Do not know how this would help the consumers.

My daughter has a 2017, 13" Pro with the same problem.
Apple in Toronto is quoting $812 for fixing it. And saying their Service Program covers only 2016 model.

It is clear from so many messages on the forum, that this problem made it's way into 2017 and other models too.

Can one not expect better from world's richest company...

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Does anyone know if and how we can participate in this class action lawsuit against apple.
I bought my macbook pro 2017 from US.

Last edited:

Rhysb98

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
Hey, sorry to hear that man seriously bad news, I have the same problem and am thinking of just cutting my losses just wondered if anyone knew how much you could sell a MacBook Pro 2017 with a broken screen (FLEXGATE) for? I’ve had a look on eBay/Amazon etc.... can’t seem to really find anything.

Chetna Thareja

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Hey, sorry to hear that man seriously bad news, I have the same problem and am thinking of just cutting my losses just wondered if anyone knew how much you could sell a MacBook Pro 2017 with a broken screen (FLEXGATE) for? I’ve had a look on eBay/Amazon etc.... can’t seem to really find anything.
Sorry to say but practically we won’t find a buyer. This is a defective apple product and I have read of cases where the issue reoccured despite replacing the screen once.

Ahmedista

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 non-touchbar and It's has been the worst purchase I've ever made. I'm suffering from flexgate issue and Apple won't even acknowledge this problem. A problem that Apple already made a recall program for 2016 models only.

This is from a recent chat with Apple Support.

Screenshot from 2021-02-10 18-58-30.png

This is really frustrating to have a device that cost much having serous design flaws and Apple want us to pay for the repair. Such problems like:

- Stage Light / Flexgate
- Butterfly keyboard
- SSD problems
- And recently battery problems

Last edited:

kikgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
Has anyone had this issue solved? I spoke to apple on the phone. He told me that the 2017 macbook pro 13" had a free repair programme for the keyboard, as sometimes the keys on the keyboard get stuck and you have to press them really hard to get they key to work. He told me that if i mail in my mac for repair (I had to mail it in because of lockdown) for this keyboard issue, then the technician should take the mac apart to fix the keyboard and when he puts it back together it should fix the backlight issue aswell if i'm lucky. He also specified that this issue was because the cables connected to the backlight are too short for the mac and will stop working with time (confirming it is a design flaw). My mac should come back tomorrow, if the backlight issue has been fixed, i'll let you know.
Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering how this worked out for you. Did you end up with luck on your side? Did they fix your backlight issue at no price? My keys get stuck as well so if I could follow your lead to get this fixed, it'd be fantastic. I really miss having a laptop that works! Thanks for your time!

kikgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
I tried posting a link to the petition here but my message wasn't approved. If you go to change(dot)org and search "Fix all MacBook Pro 2016 and later" you can at least sign the petition. It's getting close to the required amount to get a response from Apple as far as I understand.

Reactions: PippiLangstrump

kikgo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2021
Has anyone had this issue solved? I spoke to apple on the phone. He told me that the 2017 macbook pro 13" had a free repair programme for the keyboard, as sometimes the keys on the keyboard get stuck and you have to press them really hard to get they key to work. He told me that if i mail in my mac for repair (I had to mail it in because of lockdown) for this keyboard issue, then the technician should take the mac apart to fix the keyboard and when he puts it back together it should fix the backlight issue aswell if i'm lucky. He also specified that this issue was because the cables connected to the backlight are too short for the mac and will stop working with time (confirming it is a design flaw). My mac should come back tomorrow, if the backlight issue has been fixed, i'll let you know.

Ethanstha69

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2021
Not expected what a $1400 macbook turned into a brick thats nomore useful even for a tabletop. Used for around 2 years and it appeared this mac is up for a long rest. They're not admitting thier own product has a fault and will not replace it for free. Such a shame that this company is dumping all the trust and confidence of all the customers and supporters. Take it, if you're all happy with my $1400 but i'm not letting you have a penny in coming days.?

PippiLangstrump

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Hi, I have a similar issue to the original poster. One night as I was surfing on my macbook pro 2017 my screen went black. Although if you looked carefully it was actually very dimmed and you can still see the desktop. Works fine when connected to an external screen. I wish there was an easy way to fix this myself but I have seen some youtube videos and seems like an impossible (at least for me) task. So sad to have to spend so much money for something which is Apples fault. I have just signed the petition someone mentioned in an earlier posting.

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Hi, I have a similar issue to the original poster. One night as I was surfing on my macbook pro 2017 my screen went black. Although if you looked carefully it was actually very dimmed and you can still see the desktop. Works fine when connected to an external screen. I wish there was an easy way to fix this myself but I have seen some youtube videos and seems like an impossible (at least for me) task. So sad to have to spend so much money for something which is Apples fault. I have just signed the petition someone mentioned in an earlier posting.

SAME PROBLEM HERE. IT HAS OCCURED SINCE LAST YEAR MAY/JUNE...

pattyt

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2021
I have spoken to apple and they claim they have not gotten any complaints or have any info on this. I suggest everybody having this problem go to apple.com/feedback and report the issue. The woman told me that they need to hear from consumers. I guess calling and going to apple store is not enough for them to document this issue. So please write in under the feedback and get the info out there. I told the rep that there are numerous sites about it on line and a petition. She knew nothing about that. I can't believe that. But maybe the feedback at apple will get this resolved

PippiLangstrump

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Update: I took my macbook pro 2017 touchscreen to the apple store and today I got a price offer for the repair - 1000 euros!!! The comment was-no backlight working, display needs to be replaced. So of course I will not pay these money for a 4 years old macbook and will probably carry on using it with an external screen. But so disappointing. I have made a complaint as suggested by the above user on apple.com/feedback

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Update: I took my macbook pro 2017 touchscreen to the apple store and today I got a price offer for the repair - 1000 euros!!! The comment was-no backlight working, display needs to be replaced. So of course I will not pay these money for a 4 years old macbook and will probably carry on using it with an external screen. But so disappointing. I have made a complaint as suggested by the above user on apple.com/feedback
this is a common problem for macbook pro 2017. too bad apple does not replace it for free while it is a known problem.

CCampbell

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2021
this is a common problem for macbook pro 2017. too bad apple does not replace it for free while it is a known problem.
I was in an Apple store yesterday. The Genius Bar said they have only seen this issue either 2 or 13 times depending on which response you believe. Given the low incidence rate, Apple doesn’t see a need to offer an extended warranty.

2017 macbook pro 15” with the touchbar purchased in July 2017 for an obscene amount of money and the best they can suggest is connect to an external monitor and it works fine or pay $678 to replace the screen. They didn’t seem to appreciate my responses that external monitor really makes the portable computer somewhat less portable. My kid did find it funny that they use a really poor quality LG a monitor in the Apple store. Maybe the apple monitor has a backlight issue?

They do throw in the keyboard recall and battery replacement for no additional charge.

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
I was in an Apple store yesterday. The Genius Bar said they have only seen this issue either 2 or 13 times depending on which response you believe. Given the low incidence rate, Apple doesn’t see a need to offer an extended warranty.

2017 macbook pro 15” with the touchbar purchased in July 2017 for an obscene amount of money and the best they can suggest is connect to an external monitor and it works fine or pay $678 to replace the screen. They didn’t seem to appreciate my responses that external monitor really makes the portable computer somewhat less portable. My kid did find it funny that they use a really poor quality LG a monitor in the Apple store. Maybe the apple monitor has a backlight issue?

They do throw in the keyboard recall and battery replacement for no additional charge.

yes, keyboard replcement = battery replacement but if u tell them that u want to replace battery only they will not given you free replacement. must say it is keyboard problem even the battery is having problem.

i did replace my battery/keyboard recently. as usual they did not replace the display as they do not take it a problem.
however, somehow after they refresh the macOS on my macbook pro, i have not encountered the same backlight problem. not sure if it is permanently fixed but simpy becos i use the macbook pro much lesser nowadays.

Joyful1

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Hi, I have just joined this forum, did your keyboard repair get your backlight issue fixed?

cat4every

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
Same problem here on 2017 model, screen has gone black due to backlight problem. Is Apple still not covering the 2017's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.