Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
Hey all,

Have a problem with my Macbook 5,1. Will not sleep under any circumstances. SIL is not working at all. The only thing I have done with the computer is upgraded the ram to 8 GB, but since have tried to put back in the original 2GB. Still no luck.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Specs.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Gamer9430

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What have you tried, other than swapping the old RAM back in place?
No sleep:
when closing the lid?
when choosing sleep from the Apple menu?
when allowing to sleep automatically using settings in the EnergySaver pane?

Your console system.log should show some activity when you try to sleep your MacBook, and should report some failure of that sleep command at the approximate time of that failed sleep.

What exactly does happen when you simply close the lid?
What happens when you press Control-Eject, then press S (or just click the sleep button in that window)
Can you trigger sleep by moving a magnet across the sleep sensor? I can't tell you exactly where that is, but usually somewhere along the left edge of the MacBook.

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
What have you tried, other than swapping the old RAM back in place?
No sleep:
when closing the lid?
when choosing sleep from the Apple menu?
when allowing to sleep automatically using settings in the EnergySaver pane?

Your console system.log should show some activity when you try to sleep your MacBook, and should report some failure of that sleep command at the approximate time of that failed sleep.

What exactly does happen when you simply close the lid?
What happens when you press Control-Eject, then press S (or just click the sleep button in that window)
Can you trigger sleep by moving a magnet across the sleep sensor? I can't tell you exactly where that is, but usually somewhere along the left edge of the MacBook.

This is the log from the Console about (what I think) is it going into sleep.
Tried everything you said, SIL will still not come on at all.

Attachments

• SysLog.txt
    6 KB · Views: 476

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
I let the computer go to sleep for a second, let it turn back on, and all I heard was the hard drive spinning. Forcefully shut it off, and when it came back on, it looked like it was coming out of safe sleep.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Hey all,

Have a problem with my Macbook 5,1. Will not sleep under any circumstances. SIL is not working at all. The only thing I have done with the computer is upgraded the ram to 8 GB, but since have tried to put back in the original 2GB. Still no luck.

Any thoughts?
This is a stretch but shut the MacBook off, take out the battery and hold the power button for a few seconds. Then plug it in to the charger and turn it on and see if that worked

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
This is a stretch but shut the MacBook off, take out the battery and hold the power button for a few seconds. Then plug it in to the charger and turn it on and see if that worked
SMC reset didn't work, PRAM reset didn't work either...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Partition the drive and install Lion and see if it happens there

I've had corrupted OS installs that produced similar symptoms. The last time it happened to me seriously was on my '11 MBP, where a dying HDD had caused the corruption(the computer was under Applecare, and a replacement HDD+OS reinstall fixed it). I agree with this advice.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sounds like you are getting the MacBook to sleep.
But, doesn't wake up properly.
I think you need to check that the _connector_ for the SIL is properly connected. If you take the bottom cover off, the SIL connector is a tiny connector on the corner of the logic board nearest to the hard drive.
I also agree about the suggestion to try booting to another OS X system.

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
Partition the drive and install Lion and see if it happens there

Will do, going to install Lion now.

Sounds like you are getting the MacBook to sleep.
But, doesn't wake up properly.
I think you need to check that the _connector_ for the SIL is properly connected. If you take the bottom cover off, the SIL connector is a tiny connector on the corner of the logic board nearest to the hard drive.
I also agree about the suggestion to try booting to another OS X system.
I'll try to open it today and see if it's connected.

Here's the last message it gave when it was trying to wake up
Nov 20 08:40:41 KristiasMacBook kernel[0]: Previous sleep cause: -82
Nov 20 08:40:41 KristiasMacBook WindowServer[164]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Reordering authw 0x7f9cb13a4c00(2000) (lock state: 3)
Nov 20 08:40:41 KristiasMacBook WindowServer[164]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: err 0x0

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hi,
before you start to (re) install the/another OS simply create another "plain" user account an check if the problem is just related to 'your user account and settings' or related to a corrupt OS-installation.
I'm running El Capitan on my MB5,1 and 8GB RAM w/o any problems.
If a new user-account doesn't make any problems, then I'd save my data an reinstall El Capitan and all my stuff from the scratch.
Good luck,
Bob

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
Hi,
before you start to (re) install the/another OS simply create another "plain" user account an check if the problem is just related to 'your user account and settings' or related to a corrupt OS-installation.
I'm running El Capitan on my MB5,1 and 8GB RAM w/o any problems.
If a new user-account doesn't make any problems, then I'd save my data an reinstall El Capitan and all my stuff from the scratch.
Good luck,
Bob

Thanks Bob. Already did a install of SL (only disk I had). Still not sleeping when I close the lid, or when I sleep it from the menu. Pretty sure by now it's probably hardware. Gonna see if the SIL is connected.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Also, @KDS7999, don't forget the the screen light doesn't turn off either. My thinking is that something happened to the sleep magnet...

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Where do I find the SIL on the MB2008?
I know that light from using iBookG4, iMacG5 and intel-iMac white, but I don't know any equivalent on the MB2008alu (5.1).

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I know that light from using iBookG4, iMacG5 and intel-iMac white, but I don't know any equivalent on the MB2008alu (5.1).
On every MacBook with that case design, it's a row of LEDs that pulse on the left side of the IR receiver... It's virtually not noticeable unless it's lit up.

KDS7999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
USA
d83e57b48a94ed5006cb29828602b05a.jpg

It's on the right side of the MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.