Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
With the new MBPs, this question is super-popular on these forums, and I see multiple posts spreading misinformation and FUD about 16Gb models, causing a bunch of people to most likely overspend of panic about their purchases.

There is a lot of misunderstanding how RAM and swap files work and, honestly, it is confusing. You’re not stupid if you take a look at your RAM usage in the Activity Monitor and think you need more because your 32Gb computer is using 25Gb RAM. Because it is complex and confusing and depends on so many factors - and it’s (probably) not your job to know these things.

We also live in the age of bloggers and YouTubers that buy insanely maxed out specs and talk about them. So you see people that even call themselves as “your average consumer” running maxed out $5000 laptops. We live in a max-out culture. And sure, if you have money to spend - why not? I mean, people buy sports cars - so why not computers? I don’t judge. But I don’t think anyone bought a Lamborghini “because they want to get to work faster” (at least I hope not).

Also, remember that with “pro” devices, a lot of people actually use them for some expensive productions where a $1000 or $2000 or $5000 difference is nothing. So if you can cut off 30 seconds of your render - why not?

There’s an old saying that “You can’t have too much RAM”. It’s not really wrong - but it’s also not really true because it implies there is no limit to how much you need. Because while having more than you need is not bad, it doesn’t mean you can’t have enough RAM.

There is a really good reason to get more RAM on your computer and there are some very real and valid scenarios where even 64Gb is not enough. It’s not a conspiracy to get you to spend more - RAM is important. But times have changed from 15 years ago. From super-fast SSDs to the fact that RAM usage isn’t raising so fast like it used to (I swear I use practically the same amount today as I did 7 years ago).

In the ancient days, when you ran out of RAM, you just couldn’t launch apps. Then came a time where you could launch them, but your system became very slow and unresponsive. These days - mostly - your system will work just as fast even when your swap is tens of gigabytes, with bunch of tabs open in your browser and files open in your app, etc.

Of course, people will be: but, but, futreproofing. Because apps require more and more RAM! My Snow Leopard Mac used 4Gb RAM and now this is not enough!

The reality is, things have changed and RAM requirements are not rising as they used to and files are not growing like they used to. The reason is that we’ve reached the limits of our own perception and the hardware is matching our needs much better than it used to - file sizes and memory requirements are growing, but not as nearly as they used to. 8 years ago you needed 8Gb RAM for all but the most demanding Photoshop work, these days you need 8Gb RAM for all but the most demanding Photoshop work. 8 years ago you needed 64 or 128Gb RAM to run a bunch of VMs or render a complex scene with thousands of multimillion 3D objects, today you also need 64 or 128Gb RAM for that.

As disk speeds become insane, the reason for having a bunch of RAM is changing. It’s not to have a responsive computer, it’s to allow workflows that require insane files to be loaded into memory at once.

You don’t need 32Gb RAM for lots of browser tabs. Swap is very efficient and you can open tons of tabs with 8Gb too.

You don’t need to keep your swap file at 0.

You don’t need 32Gb RAM because ”it’s shared memory” - shared memory doesn’t work that way.

You don’t need to buy 32 or 64Gb RAM because you intend to keep your computer for 6-7 years, because your GPU or CPU or other parts of the computer will be way more of a bottleneck than RAM after that time (assuming anything is a bottleneck for your workflow in that time). Your 16Gb RAM MBP will be just fine in 6 years, and nice and fast and if it won’t - it probably won’t be because of RAM.

There are valid, realistic reasons to need 32 or 64Gb RAM. If you have them - you know it. And you most likely already have it in your previous computer because you can’t do your work without it. And you know the reason you need it is not futureproofing or browsing or documents.

Or you have money to throw around and just like big numbers. Perfectly good reason. It’s fine to get 32Gb or 64Gb if you can. Guess what - 64 is better than 32 and 32 is better than 16.

So, if you know you need more than 16Gb RAM…. You know and most likely - you already have it. But, to be honest, you probably don’t. You probably don‘t need an M1 MAX either - but that’s another topic. Now, do you want it? That’s a different thing. Go ahead and get it if you want it. But don’t justify it with any other reason - because some people might panic and seriously overspend on already expensive computers (and just for the record, not that it’s important but before someone assumes I’m trying to comfort myself: I could afford more and if I needed it, I wouldn’t think twice about getting it).

Anyway, here’s a nice video, if you doubt me:

EDIT: Another great video, from Dave2D saying, basically, the same thing.

Last edited:

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
I've been telling people ever since, but some are either too stubborn, suffer of serious FOMO or don't give a damn about cash. All fine, but I've seen the craziest recommendations and false information here in the last few days. From needing 32GB-64GB for web browsing and some basic photo/video editing, to telling people to get 32GB because it replaced 16GB in being the "new standard".

Usually I'd advise people to look at their memory pressure, but with the crazy fast RAM and SSD's you won't even notice swapping anymore nowadays.

Anyway, buy as you want, but stop spreading false information.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
With the new MBPs, this question is super-popular on these forums, and I see multiple posts spreading misinformation and FUD about 16Gb models, causing a bunch of people to most likely overspend of panic about their purchases.

There is a lot of misunderstanding how RAM and swap files work and, honestly, it is confusing. You’re not stupid if you take a look at your RAM usage in the Activity Monitor and think you need more because your 32Gb computer is using 25Gb RAM. Because it is complex and confusing and depends on so many factors - and it’s (probably) not your job to know these things.

We also live in the age of bloggers and YouTubers that buy insanely maxed out specs and talk about them. So you see people that even call themselves as “your average consumer” running maxed out $5000 laptops. We live in a max-out culture. And sure, if you have money to spend - why not? I mean, people buy sports cars - so why not computers? I don’t judge. But I don’t think anyone bought a Lamborghini “because they want to get to work faster” (at least I hope not).

Also, remember that with “pro” devices, a lot of people actually use them for some expensive productions where a $1000 or $2000 or $5000 difference is nothing. So if you can cut off 30 seconds of your render - why not?

There’s an old saying that “You can’t have too much RAM”. It’s not really wrong - but it’s also not really true because it implies there is no limit to how much you need. Because while having more than you need is not bad, it doesn’t mean you can’t have enough RAM.

There is a really good reason to get more RAM on your computer and there are some very real and valid scenarios where even 64Gb is not enough. It’s not a conspiracy to get you to spend more - RAM is important. But times have changed from 15 years ago. From super-fast SSDs to the fact that RAM usage isn’t raising so fast like it used to (I swear I use practically the same amount today as I did 7 years ago).

In the ancient days, when you ran out of RAM, you just couldn’t launch apps. Then came a time where you could launch them, but your system became very slow and unresponsive. These days - mostly - your system will work just as fast even when your swap is tens of gigabytes, with bunch of tabs open in your browser and files open in your app, etc.

Of course, people will be: but, but, futreproofing. Because apps require more and more RAM! My Snow Leopard Mac used 4Gb RAM and now this is not enough!

The reality is, things have changed and RAM requirements are not rising as they used to and files are not growing like they used to. The reason is that we’ve reached the limits of our own perception and the hardware is matching our needs much better than it used to - file sizes and memory requirements are growing, but not as nearly as they used to. 8 years ago you needed 8Gb RAM for all but the most demanding Photoshop work, these days you need 8Gb RAM for all but the most demanding Photoshop work. 8 years ago you needed 64 or 128Gb RAM to run a bunch of VMs or render a complex scene with thousands of multimillion 3D objects, today you also need 64 or 128Gb RAM for that.

As disk speeds become insane, the reason for having a bunch of RAM is changing. It’s not to have a responsive computer, it’s to allow workflows that require insane files to be loaded into memory at once.

You don’t need 32Gb RAM for lots of browser tabs. Swap is very efficient and you can open tons of tabs with 8Gb too.

You don’t need to keep your swap file at 0.

You don’t need 32Gb RAM because ”it’s shared memory” - shared memory doesn’t work that way.

You don’t need to buy 32 or 64Gb RAM because you intend to keep your computer for 6-7 years, because your GPU or CPU or other parts of the computer will be way more of a bottleneck than RAM after that time (assuming anything is a bottleneck for your workflow in that time). Your 16Gb RAM MBP will be just fine in 6 years, and nice and fast and if it won’t - it probably won’t be because of RAM.

There are valid, realistic reasons to need 32 or 64Gb RAM. If you have them - you know it. And you most likely already have it in your previous computer because you can’t do your work without it. And you know the reason you need it is not futureproofing or browsing or documents.

Or you have money to throw around and just like big numbers. Perfectly good reason. It’s fine to get 32Gb or 64Gb if you can. Guess what - 64 is better than 32 and 32 is better than 16.

So, if you know you need more than 16Gb RAM…. You know and most likely - you already have it. But, to be honest, you probably don’t. You probably don‘t need an M1 MAX either - but that’s another topic. Now, do you want it? That’s a different thing. Go ahead and get it if you want it. But don’t justify it with any other reason - because some people might panic and seriously overspend on already expensive computers (and just for the record, not that it’s important but before someone assumes I’m trying to comfort myself: I could afford more and if I needed it, I wouldn’t think twice about getting it).

Anyway, here’s a nice video, if you doubt me:

Well said ?

Q-6

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I remember there was this one guy who once said we'd never need more than 640KB of RAM. People laugh about that now.

I hope it’s clear from my post I never said no one needs more than 8 or 16Gb RAM just that most people probably don’t need it today and won’t need it in the next few years, so not sure how this quote applies here. But, um, yeah, things change.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
Kind of funny cause I am in the market for a PC. My minimum RAM is 8 GB RAM, storage is 256 GB SSD, i5 or Ryzen 5 and up, and costs less than $1k CAD. I found one Lenovo with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB, and has a Ryzen 7 less than $1k CAD. Only disadvantage is the bilingual keyboard. Anything would be better than my overpriced Surface Pro 5 with 128 GB and 4 GB RAM.

Reactions: aevan

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
What was said is just wrong. OSX cannot magically create ram from nothing, and you do not want to rely on swap for your deficiencies, and even so, OSX will stall if you overload it and hit a ram issue.

• Sad
Reactions: KeithBN and Feek

SteveMacR

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Well my 8Gb Mac Mini ground to a halt every couple of days, I swapped it out for a 16Gb Mac Mini and can usually go a good week now before I have to shut things down to get it moving again.

That said...I power some high resolution screens and use a lot of Chrome:)

Upgrading to something higher was an easy decision for me...maybe I will get a month of good usage now!

AFK

Suspended
Oct 31, 2021
the metaverse
What was said is just wrong. OSX cannot magically create ram from nothing, and you do not want to rely on swap for your deficiencies, and even so, OSX will stall if you overload it and hit a ram issue.
the thesis is this:

- with apple's new soc and unified memory, there is much less latency xfering data between various subsystems
- ssd is much faster (comparable to ddr3) so paging in / out is less of bottleneck
- ssd is a lot more durable than in the past so you don't have to sweat the wear and tear on your ssd by it paging in/out so often
- the operating system takes care of memory pressure behind the scenes, and with the above, ppl need to change their relationship with ram
- hence, why spend all that extra money on more ram

fine. lot of ppl are passionate about telling ppl they don't NEED 32 or more. i say let them waste their money however they want.

Last edited:

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I was with you but then I kinda expected a deeper technical discussion since you said there is lots of FUD and misunderstanding, but you didn’t deliver anything more than an opinion without much evidence. I fail to see how this is any different than the now numerous threads on this issue. I’d like a more specific technical discussion of how macOS leverages RAM and how these new CPUs share memory for graphics.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
the thesis is this:

- with apple's new soc and unified memory, there is much less latency xfering data between various subsystems
- ssd is much faster (comparable to ddr3) so paging in / out is less of bottleneck
- ssd is a lot more durable than in the past so you don't have to sweat the wear and tear on your ssd by it paging in/out so often
- the operating system takes care of memory pressure behind the scenes, and with the above, ppl need to change their relationship with ram

fine. lot of ppl are passionate about telling ppl they don't NEED 32 or more. i say let them waste their money however they want.
Yeah. Just let them waste their cash. Some people don’t care about money because they don’t earn it. Money comes in automatically. But what I said about the RAM is not because I care about their cash. It’s because I just want to talk some sense into these forums infested with people actively asking a normal user to get 32GB RAM.

Buying expensive stuff not due to need but desire is exactly how humans work and therefore there are luxury brands, but as the OP said, you don’t justify your purchase of an ultra expensive Hermès bag because it can hold more stuff than the average bag. You admit it it’s because of you want more and you have the money to spend. And you don’t go out to the street to tell the average joe that their bag is inferior because unless they buy the Hermès bag they are not going to hold enough items in their everyday shopping.

Last edited:

PikachuEXE

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
the thesis is this:

Agreed
But I already ordered my BTO with 32GB on the 2nd day of announcement
Don't want to wait further by placing a new order...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Well said. I ordered mine with 32GB of memory - I'm a software developer and for hobbies I make short films and music. I foresee needing the 32GB 2% of the time. I could easily have survived on 16GB honestly, I make do fine with my current laptop having 16GB of RAM. But I know I occasionally can push the memory on my 32GB iMac - very very rarely, but it can happen. So I bought the extra RAM as a luxury addition. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it unless they *know* they can put it to use even if just sometimes. That said, those very rare times I can use it, I could probably also gain a small benefit with 64GB but I am not going that far for that rare a task, haha

AFK

Suspended
Oct 31, 2021
the metaverse
Well said. I ordered mine with 32GB of memory - I'm a software developer and for hobbies I make short films and music. I foresee needing the 32GB 2% of the time. I could easily have survived on 16GB honestly, I make do fine with my current laptop having 16GB of RAM. But I know I occasionally can push the memory on my 32GB iMac - very very rarely, but it can happen. So I bought the extra RAM as a luxury addition. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it unless they *know* they can put it to use even if just sometimes. That said, those very rare times I can use it, I could probably also gain a small benefit with 64GB but I am not going that far for that rare a task, haha
you know i had to laugh at all this tip toeing i sensed reading your post about your decision to spend your own money.

c'mon!! be proud of your 32 and own it! LOL

hell im getting a 64GB just because i can.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
you know i had to laugh at all this tip toeing i sensed reading your post about your decision to spend your own money.

Well I'm glad I could deliver a chuckle then :)

That wasn't really how I meant it though. I'm looking forward to receiving it in a few weeks and have no qualms about the configuration I've ordered. My prefacing of the decision was for the sake of others. To say that I consider my use cases to be demanding and for the most part I don't *need* it.

Reactions: Argoduck and AFK

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You absolutely DON'T need to believe youtubers, especially the MaxTech.
One has to have critical thinking ability: this video makes no sense except one thing.
It is useful to know: that you are doing only one task at a time then you should buy 16GB and save your money.
But the reality is very different. You don't use Lightroom with Photoshop open at the same time.
You either us one of them, or if you opened both then the PRO doing that is switching back and forth between photoshop, lightroom and probably some video editing software. That is how you know how your RAM works.
Are you sitting still like MaxTech and staring at the percentage graph while your video is rendering in FCPX? C'mon, if i wanted to read a news, drink coffee, take a walk then i would stick with my MBP 2012 - i had to do, because while rendering it was frozen hard so no browsing.
Are you buying new MBP to watch how it renders? Most people will just go browsing on the same laptop, this is what he never shown us.
You saw that yellow memory pressure? I seee it everyday on my 8GB Air and I know for a fact that browsing at yellow zone causes lags and stutters all over there. While 32 GB is in low green zone.

Also stop telling about fast SSDs and swap on it. Don't lie to yourself. Any more or less in the know person knows that SSD have huge latency to read/write, then it has speed only for sequential read/write of large files at 7GB/s.
RAM has a speed of 40GB+/s and has lower latency and doesn't care about the size of your files.
What does it give it to you? Well just try it yourself, try to copy big bunch of small 100-200Kb files from ssd to ssd and then see what was the speed. Current SSDs have VERY low speed of writing for small files. What is SSD swap we all talking about? Go find your system swap files: they are small sizes but a lot of them.
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 10.56.25 PM.png

Here is the latest samsung 980 Pro. Good luck with 87/205 MB/s read/write speeds to be on par with your RAM when swapping.

==================
TLDR: Current 32GB is nowadays 16GB. 16GB is a bare minimum like the 8GB was before.

PhallicPhillip

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for your posts throughout the week, OP. I heard the max tech guys recommend sticking with 16 GBs and bought a 16” with 16 GBs on launch day, but seriously considered returning it and getting the 32 GB before reading several of your posts. The max tech video you shared confirms it, and am enjoying this amazing laptop so much more now that I’m not anxious about RAM.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
good folks in the MacbookPro section of Macforums single handedly increasing the page rank for MaxTech's video.
Max Tech is good fun though. It’s pure entertainment and you need to approach it with a critical mind and knowledge of what their numbers actually mean, but still, good fun. Neither Max n’or Vadim are *that* knowledgable about hardware or software, really. But Max is a super talented photographer and the photography content he made before he got big with tech and started Max Tech (originally only had the Max Yuryev channel) really demonstrated his talent.
But all three of the siblings just have good charisma and make videos that are fun to watch, albeit often a slight bit frustrating because you know the meaning of the values will be misinterpreted by a lot of people who take the information at face value

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
You absolutely DON'T need to believe youtubers, especially the MaxTech.
One has to have critical thinking ability: this video makes no sense except one thing.
It is useful to know: that you are doing only one task at a time then you should buy 16GB and save your money.
But the reality is very different. You don't use Lightroom with Photoshop open at the same time.
You either us one of them, or if you opened both then the PRO doing that is switching back and forth between photoshop, lightroom and probably some video editing software. That is how you know how your RAM works.
Are you sitting still like MaxTech and staring at the percentage graph while your video is rendering in FCPX? C'mon, if i wanted to read a news, drink coffee, take a walk then i would stick with my MBP 2012 - i had to do, because while rendering it was frozen hard so no browsing.
Are you buying new MBP to watch how it renders? Most people will just go browsing on the same laptop, this is what he never shown us.
You saw that yellow memory pressure? I seee it everyday on my 8GB Air and I know for a fact that browsing at yellow zone causes lags and stutters all over there. While 32 GB is in low green zone.

Also stop telling about fast SSDs and swap on it. Don't lie to yourself. Any more or less in the know person knows that SSD have huge latency to read/write, then it has speed only for sequential read/write of large files at 7GB/s.
RAM has a speed of 40GB+/s and has lower latency and doesn't care about the size of your files.
What does it give it to you? Well just try it yourself, try to copy big bunch of small 100-200Kb files from ssd to ssd and then see what was the speed. Current SSDs have VERY low speed of writing for small files. What is SSD swap we all talking about? Go find your system swap files: they are small sizes but a lot of them.
View attachment 1899240
Here is the latest samsung 980 Pro. Good luck with 87/205 MB/s read/write speeds to be on par with your RAM when swapping.

==================
TLDR: Current 32GB is nowadays 16GB. 16GB is a bare minimum like the 8GB was before.
Just look at the benchmarks dude. When swap is involved almost no performance penalty. There's more going on than simply 'using swap bad'.

16gb is not the new 8gb. 16gb is still plenty, and 32gb is excessive unless you have a special need for it, in which you know what that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.