Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Probably. But not all Mac users will buy a Macbook Pro. A Macbook air is a perfectly fine machine.

My point is they should not sell (or at least people should not buy) a Macbook Pro with 16GB of ram. I'm not saying that everyone needs>16GB. I'm talking about the target audience of a Macbook Pro.

But people can (and will) do whatever, it's their money and their choice.
I share your point of view but I think what we want would result in people like me to replace my Mac after ~520 weeks.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
That's not the real target audience. That's what the marketing department says.

Just like the ads for things like track-performance sports cars. The actual target audience is older guys with lots of money who like to feel sporty. Not actual race car drivers.

My point is I think Apple is targeting this as a premium and higher performance product to whoever will buy it, and have a slick presentation partly to hype it up and make the buyers feel sporty about their purchases. Yes, some actual power users are in there too.

The "pro" moniker is now only a marketing term. It variously implies professional, power, performance, premium, or elite.
You obviously haven't challenged a similar priced workstation PC laptop to its limits and done the same with these new pro MacBooks. I have and I know which one this professional who maxes out on power and performance would prefer to use.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
You obviously haven't challenged a similar priced workstation PC laptop to its limits and done the same with these new pro MacBooks. I have and I know which one this professional who maxes out on power and performance would prefer to use.
I don't know what your comment has to do with my comment, which was nothing about PC vs Mac, nor anything about challenging each. btw, I have challenged PC workstations (with analyses that take days to run), so not sure why it obvious that I haven't. You seem to imply that I prefer PC's, which is not the case. Maybe missed the point, or my point was not clear, sorry. Anyway, I would prefer to use these MBPs to similar PCs for intensive work, except for some certain niche analyses.

Last edited:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I don't know what your comment has to do with my comment, which was nothing about PC vs Mac, nor anything about challenging each. btw, I have challenged PC workstations (with analyses that take days to run), so not sure why it obvious that I haven't. You seem to imply that I prefer PC's, which is not the case. Maybe missed the point, or my point was not clear, sorry. Anyway, I would prefer to use these MBPs to similar PCs for intensive work, except for some certain niche analyses.
Your post read that the MBP is not designed for people doing heavy work, and implied to get something else to do it? Maybe I misread it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.