Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waziazi

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2018
USA
But there is no test where they use docker to spin up several containers and have VScode running with some extensions that can hog things all while having like 15 tabs open from the errors you had to google... this is my workflow, it tends to be heavy, wish they would cover it instead of a bunch of video apps.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
You absolutely DON'T need to believe youtubers, especially the MaxTech.
One has to have critical thinking ability: this video makes no sense except one thing.
It is useful to know: that you are doing only one task at a time then you should buy 16GB and save your money.
But the reality is very different. You don't use Lightroom with Photoshop open at the same time.
You either us one of them, or if you opened both then the PRO doing that is switching back and forth between photoshop, lightroom and probably some video editing software. That is how you know how your RAM works.
Are you sitting still like MaxTech and staring at the percentage graph while your video is rendering in FCPX? C'mon, if i wanted to read a news, drink coffee, take a walk then i would stick with my MBP 2012 - i had to do, because while rendering it was frozen hard so no browsing.
Are you buying new MBP to watch how it renders? Most people will just go browsing on the same laptop, this is what he never shown us.
You saw that yellow memory pressure? I seee it everyday on my 8GB Air and I know for a fact that browsing at yellow zone causes lags and stutters all over there. While 32 GB is in low green zone.

Also stop telling about fast SSDs and swap on it. Don't lie to yourself. Any more or less in the know person knows that SSD have huge latency to read/write, then it has speed only for sequential read/write of large files at 7GB/s.
RAM has a speed of 40GB+/s and has lower latency and doesn't care about the size of your files.
What does it give it to you? Well just try it yourself, try to copy big bunch of small 100-200Kb files from ssd to ssd and then see what was the speed. Current SSDs have VERY low speed of writing for small files. What is SSD swap we all talking about? Go find your system swap files: they are small sizes but a lot of them.
View attachment 1899240
Here is the latest samsung 980 Pro. Good luck with 87/205 MB/s read/write speeds to be on par with your RAM when swapping.

==================
TLDR: Current 32GB is nowadays 16GB. 16GB is a bare minimum like the 8GB was before.

Max Tech did simultaneous video and photo exports with YouTube playing in the background and multiple browsers open. There was still no difference.

No one needs to buy 32 GB unless they already know the exact specific use case they need it for, such as multiple VMs.

16 GB is not bare minimum. It is more than the vast majority of users will even need.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I was with you but then I kinda expected a deeper technical discussion since you said there is lots of FUD and misunderstanding, but you didn’t deliver anything more than an opinion without much evidence. I fail to see how this is any different than the now numerous threads on this issue. I’d like a more specific technical discussion of how macOS leverages RAM and how these new CPUs share memory for graphics.
Read this:

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
1. Max Tech ?
2. Don't tell me how to live my life.

If I could get 2TB of RAM to browse through forums, Twitter and reddit, I would. ?

1. It's just a nice example, it matches my experience, tbh
2. I'm definitely not! Get whatever you want and enjoy! All I'm saying - if you're buying 2Tb RAM to browse forums, don't pretend you need 2Tb RAM to browse forums. If you like it and want to have a supercharged computer - by all means, that's why I gave the sports car example.

salvatore.p

macrumors member
May 18, 2020
But there is no test where they use docker to spin up several containers and have VScode running with some extensions that can hog things all while having like 15 tabs open from the errors you had to google... this is my workflow, it tends to be heavy, wish they would cover it instead of a bunch of video apps.

Yeah, most of the reviewer are video editor mainly focusing on the export times.
No one shows about how the device feels in real world. I bet that even FCX will fell somewhat slower while editing the same 8k footage on a 16gb machine vs a 32gb one, but they only look at the <10% difference in export time to justify the sentence “16Gb are more than enough for most”.

The truth is that if was free everyone would pick more ram.

Reactions: hellosil

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Yeah, most of the reviewer are video editor mainly focusing on the export times.
No one shows about how the device feels in real world. I bet that even FCX will fell somewhat slower while editing the same 8k footage on a 16gb machine vs a 32gb one, but they only look at the <10% difference in export time to justify the sentence “16Gb are more than enough for most”.

If everything was free everyone would take everything. Then? Do you mean that getting more RAM is due to greed? Hopefully this is not what you meant. ?

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

I think this video is a good example, because Max actually showed moving between different windows, open files, etc. It was not only export times - it was moving around the system. If your workflow resembles what he's doing - it is informative.

Now, he might not be a tech expert, but what he's showing is indicative of real world performance, and you can draw your own conclusions. So, don't listen to his opinions, look at what he's doing and decide.

For me, it was very similar to what I did: my current MBP has 16Gb RAM and I opened a lot of stuff to test it out (I mentioned it several times, but in short: a large 3D file, a bunch of large Photoshop files, a bunch of apps) and I used my computer normally - I did not notice any slowdowns. Same as in that video. And yes there was swap, in fact, I had like a 10Gb swap file and things were instant.

Of course. Why wouldn't you? If the whole computer was free, I would pick up 5 of them. Doesn't mean I need 5. 🙂

I think for me the additional RAM is not worth the additional price and wait times, but it's definitely better to have 32 than 16. Is it worth the cost? That's a different question.

Look, not everyone can justify the extra cost. Especially taking into account that prices are different. In my country, the upgrade is 530 euros - which is more than $600! In most of Europe it's $500+. So, random claims like "you need 32Gb if you open big PDF documents and browser tabs" might get some people to seriously overspend and others, who can't, to feel like they bought a slow computer that barely has a few years of life in it 🙂

This was the reason for this whole post. So, of course, if you have the money for it and feel like it - by all means get whatever you want. A 64Gb RAM computer *is* better than a 16Gb RAM computer. No doubt about it. But 8Tb SSDs are also better than 1Tb SSDs, so why not go around and advise people to future-proof (file sizes are growing!!!!) and buy a $6000 laptop? :D

Also, just to mention it here: we (this forum) had this exact discussion in 2016 when 16Gb was the only option on a MBP. And the comments were like "16Gb may be enough today, but it's a bare minimum and in a few years it will not be enough". :D

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Lol, I love it how someone emoted "angry" to my OP.... ? Feel free to disagree.

And of course: just as I don't want anyone to feel bad because they ordered 16Gb, I really don't want anyone to feel bad for ordering more. Even if it's for browsing the web - hey, spend your hard earned money however you like and enjoy!

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
No one needs anything except a pipeline to cloud computing services. But some of us like to do our large computations at home. Not that I'm afraid Amazon will steal my nonlinear PDE solutions. I'm just old-fashioned.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Between this thread and the other thread that says 16GB isn't enough I've decided to cancel my 32GB order and go for 16GB instead.

Thanks for the info and sharing the video.
After people saying the video posted isn’t realistic I’m starting to have doubts.

Maybe if someone could tell me based on my usage? I don’t use it for work but use it for creative hobbies and media consumption. So mostly:

Photoshop, FTP clients, Safari, Handbrake, Sublime, Twitter/Tweetbot, Grids, XLD, Folx, WhatsApp. Handbrake I’d usually run on its own.

Sometimes I might use MS Teams or Outlook but rarely.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You absolutely DON'T need to believe youtubers, especially the MaxTech.
One has to have critical thinking ability: this video makes no sense except one thing.
It is useful to know: that you are doing only one task at a time then you should buy 16GB and save your money.
But the reality is very different. You don't use Lightroom with Photoshop open at the same time.
You either us one of them, or if you opened both then the PRO doing that is switching back and forth between photoshop, lightroom and probably some video editing software. That is how you know how your RAM works.
Are you sitting still like MaxTech and staring at the percentage graph while your video is rendering in FCPX? C'mon, if i wanted to read a news, drink coffee, take a walk then i would stick with my MBP 2012 - i had to do, because while rendering it was frozen hard so no browsing.
Are you buying new MBP to watch how it renders? Most people will just go browsing on the same laptop, this is what he never shown us.
You saw that yellow memory pressure? I seee it everyday on my 8GB Air and I know for a fact that browsing at yellow zone causes lags and stutters all over there. While 32 GB is in low green zone.

Also stop telling about fast SSDs and swap on it. Don't lie to yourself. Any more or less in the know person knows that SSD have huge latency to read/write, then it has speed only for sequential read/write of large files at 7GB/s.
RAM has a speed of 40GB+/s and has lower latency and doesn't care about the size of your files.
What does it give it to you? Well just try it yourself, try to copy big bunch of small 100-200Kb files from ssd to ssd and then see what was the speed. Current SSDs have VERY low speed of writing for small files. What is SSD swap we all talking about? Go find your system swap files: they are small sizes but a lot of them.
View attachment 1899240
Here is the latest samsung 980 Pro. Good luck with 87/205 MB/s read/write speeds to be on par with your RAM when swapping.

==================
TLDR: Current 32GB is nowadays 16GB. 16GB is a bare minimum like the 8GB was before.
True.
The only thing MaxTech showed on their video was that 32GB RAM doesn't give a huge jump in performance vs 16BB RAM for the price on some scenarios. Your points are still valid.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
After people saying the video posted isn’t realistic I’m starting to have doubts.

Maybe if someone could tell me based on my usage? I don’t use it for work but use it for creative hobbies and media consumption. So mostly:

Photoshop, FTP clients, Safari, Handbrake, Sublime, Twitter/Tweetbot, Grids, XLD, Folx, WhatsApp. Handbrake I’d usually run on its own.

Imo for your own usage, only you can judge. Just look at your own activity monitor in the middle of your workflow and see the system's behavior. If you are seeing a lot of yellow and swap usage, probably a good idea to get more RAM for your next Mac. If you only see mostly green, then you can get a new Mac with the same amount of RAM as your current RAM.

Reactions: AJTC

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
I think the 8 GB of RAM and M1 processor in my new iPad Pro are huge overkill. Just insane. But I bought the thing. They might be good for iMovie or something, whenever it is that I will use that. The feature it has that I thought I could live without but am actually using and benefiting from every day is the 120Hz screen as well as the beautiful colour accuracy etc.

It is surely time to look elsewhere for the features that give it value and stop being a perennial nerd wanting specs time after time. My 8 year old US$700 home-built Windows desktop in a mini-ATX case (Edit: with 8 GB of RAM I bought back then in 2013!) still flies. Give it a rest. Thank you for this thread.

Last edited:

salvatore.p

macrumors member
May 18, 2020
If everything was free everyone would take everything. Then? Do you mean that getting more RAM is due to greed? Hopefully this is not what you meant. ?

I meant the opposite. We try to determine if we can live with less ram to keep costs down.

I think this video is a good example, because Max actually showed moving between different windows, open files, etc. It was not only export times - it was moving around the system. If your workflow resembles what he's doing - it is informative.

Now, he might not be a tech expert, but what he's showing is indicative of real world performance, and you can draw your own conclusions. So, don't listen to his opinions, look at what he's doing and decide.

For me, it was very similar to what I did: my current MBP has 16Gb RAM and I opened a lot of stuff to test it out (I mentioned it several times, but in short: a large 3D file, a bunch of large Photoshop files, a bunch of apps) and I used my computer normally - I did not notice any slowdowns. Same as in that video. And yes there was swap, in fact, I had like a 10Gb swap file and things were instant.

Of course. Why wouldn't you? If the whole computer was free, I would pick up 5 of them. Doesn't mean I need 5. ?

I think for me the additional RAM is not worth the additional price and wait times, but it's definitely better to have 32 than 16. Is it worth the cost? That's a different question.

Look, not everyone can justify the extra cost. Especially taking into account that prices are different. In my country, the upgrade is 530 euros - which is more than $600! In most of Europe it's $500+. So, random claims like "you need 32Gb if you open big PDF documents and browser tabs" might get some people to seriously overspend and others, who can't, to feel like they bought a slow computer that barely has a few years of life in it ?

This was the reason for this whole post. So, of course, if you have the money for it and feel like it - by all means get whatever you want. A 64Gb RAM computer *is* better than a 16Gb RAM computer. No doubt about it. But 8Tb SSDs are also better than 1Tb SSDs, so why not go around and advise people to future-proof (file sizes are growing!!!!) and buy a $6000 laptop? :D

Also, just to mention it here: we (this forum) had this exact discussion in 2016 when 16Gb was the only option on a MBP. And the comments were like "16Gb may be enough today, but it's a bare minimum and in a few years it will not be enough". :D

His test is demonstrative that these machines can take a lot of (heaviest) applications opens at the same time, even with "only" 16gb of ram. This doesn't mean that the applications itself wouldn't benefit from extra ram. He proves that you can move between windows without issues and mostly aren't reloaded because are either inside ram or inside swap.

But, they behave the same as if the system has more ram allocable? Interacting with that, jumping from Xcode tab to another, jumping form Xcode to Android Studio and edit some line of code, feels the same as the 32gb system?
I think is a legit question.

I work every day with a 16gb M1 Mini and I can say without any doubt that is a very capable machine and this amount of ram allows me to complete the job. But, but often some ram heavy applications (Android Studio or Xcode with multiple simulators started) feels laggy after some hour of work.
I can live with that constrain? Yes, I've done before and probably I can live for the next couple of years. Is worth paying 20% more to have a better user experience in my use case? Probably yes.

You stated:
I think for me the additional RAM is not worth the additional price and wait times
if we talk to wait times, for example the additional build time for the 16gb machine I agree with you: isn't worth spending much for a couple of seconds/minutes less. But if the experience became choppy/laggy than is another story..

random claims like "you need 32Gb if you open big PDF documents and browser tabs" might get some people to seriously overspend and others

I will never generalize or try to convince people to spend more money. For the average consumer these machine are overkill even at base spec. I don't think you will notice speed difference with an M1 Air on opening pdf..

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I went to 8 on my m1 MBP FROM 16 in my last MBP. Primary reason I never used more than 8. I’ll admit I don’t use anything too memory intensive. Sometimes Davinci a few Xcode compiles buts mostly spreadsheets, web research, pages, The increase in speed over the old MBP more than offset the rare occasion I might need more ram, so I’m good. If my computer becomes outdated. Time to get a new one

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
True.
The only thing MaxTech showed on their video was that 32GB RAM doesn't give a huge jump in performance vs 16BB RAM for the price on some scenarios. Your points are still valid.

More precisely what it showed is that for many realistic and extreme scenarios there isn’t any jump in performance at all.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021

You don’t need 32 GB. Save the money, or use it to upgrade something else.

Reactions: AJTC

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
1. It's just a nice example, it matches my experience, tbh
2. I'm definitely not! Get whatever you want and enjoy! All I'm saying - if you're buying 2Tb RAM to browse forums, don't pretend you need 2Tb RAM to browse forums. If you like it and want to have a supercharged computer - by all means, that's why I gave the sports car example.

I know, I wasn’t being serious on that post ?

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I ordered a 64 GB Max in hopes that I can run two monitors with MS Teams and possibly one other app without the hurricane starting inside my laptop.

Go ahead...say it...I'm a dreamer.

Thankfully, I can afford it since I haven't taken a vacation since...since...wait a minute while I load my calendar app -- ugh, the hurricane just started again.😜

ceph3us1

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
Doing virtualization-heavy software development work while travelling a lot, I was absolutely crying out for a 32GB compact MacBook and I'm glad that they finally released one. Stings, though.

I could just about get these workloads done on 16GB M1 13" but I was under serious memory pressure pretty much the whole time, and the thing was doing about 1-2 drive-writes-per-day of swapping. Did stay remarkably responsive throughout, surprisingly.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
IMO, the software has not yet been upgraded to effectively use 32GB RAM or 64GB RAM or the larger GPU cores. Some use it a little but are not optimized for it.

Reactions: Argoduck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.