Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFK

Suspended
Oct 31, 2021
the metaverse
Well, this is the danger of any of us giving advice that you only need 16GB RAM or you absolutely must get more than 16GB of RAM. I'm primarily a back-end dev and I have a pretty heavy workflow that worked beautifully on only 8GB, but yet someone else with a much lighter use case, but sits on MS Teams all day, discovered that Teams drags his entire system down if he's only got 8GB.

I do believe everyone who says they're struggling on only 8GB or 16GB of RAM despite having a lighter workflow than me. I just believe it's for specific reasons rather than because 8 or 16GB is no longer enough for anyone with more than a few tabs open.

yup. right on. badly behaving app can ruin everything. wasn't there a post yesterday about someone saying the new mbps were crap cause one of the adobe bloatware was using like 40 gigs of ram LOLOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
To determine the amount of RAM needed, just use the tools Apple provided with your computer! This isn't rocket science...

The verdict below is crystal clear: 16GB simply isn't enough memory.

Sure, that's not ideal, but what are you doing? Is that your use case all the time? It might not be enough for you, but that's a far cry from saying 16GB is an insufficient floor.

I ran an 8GB M1 in the red for over a week and had no idea I was out of memory because it was behaving on par with my 2018 i7 32GB.

Now, I did return that M1 because I judged that my experiment with downsizing to 8GB was a failure. 8GB regardless of if it performed OK wasn't enough for me. I didn't want to push my luck, but after going through that, I wouldn't have gotten anxiety over being in the red for certain tasks that aren't part of my normal workflow.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Sure, that's not ideal, but what are you doing? Is that your use case all the time? It might not be enough for you, but that's a far cry from saying 16GB is an insufficient floor.

I ran an 8GB M1 in the red for over a week and had no idea I was out of memory because it was behaving on par with my 2018 i7 32GB.

Now, I did return that M1 because I judged that my experiment with downsizing to 8GB was a failure. 8GB regardless of if it performed OK wasn't enough for me. I didn't want to push my luck, but after going through that, I wouldn't have gotten anxiety over being in the red for certain tasks that aren't part of my normal workflow.

That's what it looks like most of the day. I need to run multiple VMs simultaneously each day. The VMs all need to be 'live' at the same time because they replicate an industrial application running on 5 servers. I do QA & testing. The OS is lagging badly and the animations stutter. I have no idea what other people need, but I personally ordered 32GB.

davidako

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
I’m weighing up which configuration to buy myself at the moment. I don’t really need much power, and my key factor is that my primary requirement is for a large screen, thus the 16inch laptop. But of course, you still start reading a few reviews to make sure you don’t buy something inappropriate, and you soon find yourself disappearing down rabbit holes. Or whole warrens, even 😀.
And so yesterday I found myself using the system monitor thing for the first time, gazing in wonder at memory pressure that I don’t really pretend to understand other than at a surface level. I opened lots of apps, ran X plane in the background, had YouTube reviewers silently competing to out cool each other. And my memory pressure stayed reassuringly low and green (on a high spec Ed 2015 iMac with 16GB). But even so, it still swapped memory. It didn’t need to, but it did. So, CTJack, it seems that however much spare RAM you have, our machines will still do a bit of swapping, because they’re designed to do that!

Yes, they are designed to use their resources.

If your RAM is always in the green that isn't inherently good. It means you wasted your money on something not getting used.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's what it looks like most of the day. I need to run multiple VMs simultaneously each day. The VMs all need to be 'live' at the same time because they replicate an industrial application running on 5 servers. I do QA & testing. The OS is lagging badly and the animations stutter. I have no idea what other people need, but I personally ordered 32GB.

Yeah, I'd have gone with 32GB in your situation, but that you need 32GB isn't incompatible with Aevan's point that 16GB is actually plenty for most people. I've got multiple VMs and a memory hogging IDE running at all times myself and I have a Capture One Pro often running at the same time. We're not average users.

I hope more RAM fixes your issues because I've experienced animation lag before and in my case it didn't appear to be RAM dependent. Some of your issues might not get ironed out until future releases of MacOS.

Reactions: Argoduck

agent mac

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
To determine the amount of RAM needed, just use the tools Apple provided with your computer! This isn't rocket science...

Memory Pressure:

- Green: you're fine. Do nothing.
- Beige/Yellow: you might gain some performance by adding memory.
- Red: you don't have enough memory.

View attachment 1899889

Last edited:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.

Memory Pressure:

View attachment 1899889
I think that this is exactly why this is so frequently discussed here, but the difficulty is not if you see either green, or red (which would be a clear indication of the need for more RAM), but what (if anything) to do if you find that you are regularly showing yellow memory pressure.

Apple's own user guide for Activity Monitor says almost the same thing, worded slightly differently (see below). The ambiguity is how to interpret 'might gain some performance' (your wording), or 'might eventually need more RAM' (Apple's wording).

The verdict is crystal clear in the example you provided, which is red memory pressure. It is not crystal clear for what is probably much more common, yellow memory pressure.

This is where the advice given by the OP is helpful, in my opinion.

Excerpt from Apple's User Guide for Activity Monitor:

The Memory Pressure graph lets you know if your computer is using memory efficiently.​
  • Green memory pressure: Your computer is using all of its RAM efficiently.
  • Yellow memory pressure: Your computer might eventually need more RAM.
  • Red memory pressure: Your computer needs more RAM.
If memory pressure is yellow, red, or has spikes, check to see if an app is using up memory and causing the memory pressure to increase. If you no longer need to have the app running, you should quit the app.​
Your computer’s memory pressure is accurately measured by examining the amount of free memory available, the swap rate, and the amount of wired and file cached memory to determine if your computer is using RAM efficiently.​

Link: (the user guide is selectable for different macOS versions, but the wording with respect to memory pressure does not seem to change)

Last edited:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Yes, they are designed to use their resources.

If your RAM is always in the green that isn't inherently good. It means you wasted your money on something not getting used.
I'm not sure that I agree.

I have 32 GB RAM installed in my iMac (admittedly much more than I really need, but it was very inexpensive at the time).

My current memory pressure is green but I'm using ~ 22 GB of 32 GB. I previously had 16 GB installed, so I am using the added memory, on a regular basis. And I am always 'green', as far as I can recall (it isn't something I check very often).

Image.png

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
So, CTJack, it seems that however much spare RAM you have, our machines will still do a bit of swapping, because they’re designed to do that!

Yeah, some swapping is just how the system behaves. You can disable it if you wish. @Fishrrman has said before that he runs a terminal command to prevent his system from swapping.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

When he says "Green is not inherently good" it doesn't mean that always being green is bad.

Suppose you went out and got 64GB of RAM just to be safe even though 32GB seems to be well within your usage envelope. That's what he means. You would have made a nice donation to Apple for overpriced RAM and got little to no benefit from it.

Reactions: tdbrown75

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
anyone care to enlighten me about Control Center eating up 8.6GB of RAM? I've just started my shift today and first thing I noticed is the Control Center getting that much RAM.
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 1.57.59 PM.png

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019

nickawhite

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
New York, NY
Terrific post! Been waiting a long time for this laptop and you (and the superb video) just convinced me to save my $400 on the RAM upgrade. Thanks for taking the time to post!

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The OP's view of future proofing is a little limited. It's not only about future in time, but also about future situations. Tomorrow, I could decide to move some of my work from my Windows machine to my Mac and my RAM requirements would go up substantially. Or, I could soon encounter some development situation which is far more RAM demanding than what I'm dealing with now. Unexpected situations are far more of a concern to me than what computer I'll need in three years.

People do like to be told what to think when the topic is complex. I think the OP's post was well written and made very good points. The challenge is to figure out whether those good points apply to you.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
The OP's view of future proofing is a little limited. It's not only about future in time, but also about future situations. Tomorrow, I could decide to move some of my work from my Windows machine to my Mac and my RAM requirements would go up substantially. Or, I could soon encounter some development situation which is far more RAM demanding than what I'm dealing with now. Unexpected situations are far more of a concern to me than what computer I'll need in three years.
Random unexpected situations could just as easily result in your having paid for more RAM than you can use.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
When he says "Green is not inherently good" it doesn't mean that always being green is bad.

Suppose you went out and got 64GB of RAM just to be safe even though 32GB seems to be well within your usage envelope. That's what he means. You would have made a nice donation to Apple for overpriced RAM and got little to no benefit from it.
The post stated "If your RAM is always in the green that isn't inherently good. It means you wasted your money on something not getting used." (emphasis added)

I disagree with that (the whole statement, not just the first part) for the reasons stated. My example shows that the additional RAM I've installed in my own iMac is in fact being used.

It's not a huge deal. Your point regarding 'little to no benefit' is well taken. I agree that may in fact be the case. My own computer would be working just as well with 16 GB RAM, and I wouldn't have upgraded to 32 GB RAM if the cost had been $400 as is the case for the Apple upgrades to new M1 Macs. I was able to install the additional 16 GB RAM for less than $50 at the time. I don't consider it to be money wasted. Different situation in making a decision on a new purchase and the much larger price adder for the higher RAM.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands

I have 32 GB RAM installed in my iMac (admittedly much more than I really need, but it was very inexpensive at the time).

My current memory pressure is green but I'm using ~ 22 GB of 32 GB. I previously had 16 GB installed, so I am using the added memory, on a regular basis. And I am always 'green', as far as I can recall (it isn't something I check very often).

View attachment 1899956
As said may times before, your Machine using 22GB out of 32GB doesn’t particularly mean it needs that 22GB to work properly. MacOS took a look at your available memory and allocated it in the most effective/beneficial way, making sure it uses the RAM rather then letting it sit there unused. You would have seen a similar case when using 16GB of RAM, Activity monitor would have shown something like 13GB used out of 16GB.

Don’t know what your use case is but 16GB could have been just fine for you, judging by this picture.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The OP's view of future proofing is a little limited. It's not only about future in time, but also about future situations.

I don't think future proofing is a very useful concern these days if you're buying one of the Pro machines. In 4 to 5 years, the single core scores for the M chips will have advanced so much that an Air is going to outperform an M1 Max for on most everyday tasks. If the technology landscape has changed so much in 4 years that my laptop isn't even able to show up, I'd expect that even a maxed out model would still leave me so frustrated that I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade anyway.

It's entirely possible that there are such radical changes brewing that we're going to soon enter a new period of frequent upgrades like we saw in the late 90's and early 2000's, but using the last 10 years as a guide, that doesn't seem likely.

Queen6

macrumors G4

Memory Pressure:

View attachment 1899889
Utter nonsense is entirely dependant on the users needs not an individual opinion. This W10 Notebook has 32GB of RAM for good reason, my 13" M1 MBP just 8GB RAM, neither falters or fails in it's prescribed role.

If you didn't specify the correct amount of RAM for your needs that's lies firmly on you, not the provider. As said it's not rocket science....

Q-6

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
As said may times before, your Machine using 22GB out of 32GB doesn’t particularly mean it needs that 22GB to work properly. MacOS took a look at your available memory and allocated it in the most effective/beneficial way, making sure it uses the RAM rather then letting it sit there unused. You would have seen a similar case when using 16GB of RAM, Activity monitor would have shown something like 13GB used out of 16GB.

Don’t know what your use case is but 16GB could have been just fine for you, judging by this picture.
I am not saying that I need the 32 GB (or 22 GB). I'm saying it is using it. Isn't that what I said (several times)??

Sure seems to be difficult here to get simple points across. I'm not trying to argue one way or another but I do usually respond back to posts when I feel that someone is misinterpreting or misunderstanding what I have written.

What you have written is no different from what the OP has written, and I'm in agreement with it and started off in this thread by complimenting it as adding a good thoughtful explanation to this particular question.

'As said many times before' suggests I'm not getting the point. I can assure you, I am.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I don't think future proofing is a very useful concern these days if you're buying one of the Pro machines. In 4 to 5 years, the single core scores for the M chips will have advanced so much that an Air is going to outperform an M1 Max for on most everyday tasks. If the technology landscape has changed so much in 4 years that my laptop isn't even able to show up, I'd expect that even a maxed out model would still leave me so frustrated that I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade anyway.

It's entirely possible that there are such radical changes brewing that we're going to soon enter a new period of frequent upgrades like we saw in the late 90's and early 2000's, but using the last 10 years as a guide, that doesn't seem likely.

Agreed if you're only talking about time-based future proofing. But if a radical change in requirements hits you in a week, 4 or 5 years from now is irrelevant. I'm referring to a future event, not a future point in time. Anything after now is the future.

Everyone I've heard arguing against future proofing only considers future as a period of time (usually a few years from now). That's not at all what I worry about when I think about future proofing.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I’m currently on a 2018 MBP with 32 GB of Ram. I’m rarely using swap and have around 10GB in cached files. I’ve never seen memory pressure hit yellow.

I’m trying to decide if I can safely downgrade to 16GB without sacrificing any performance. Theoretically I think I’m ok? I don’t want to cheap out, but at the same time I’m finding myself moving from the “futureproof and keep laptop forever” camp to “buy less machine and upgrade more frequently.” Technology is evolving more rapidly, while long term reliability is declining so it seems like a better overall strategy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.