Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FerociousPPC

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022

Thanks for the link but it seems the Video card will not display on a PC anymore so no way to re-flash in FreeDOS.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I had a bricked GPU and it didn't display anything in PC or Mac. And it was not possible to use another videocard either. If it was installed the PC would not boot at all.

But, then I managed to flash it out of computer all together. And its also possible to buy a new ROM-chip and flash it with a CH341A Mini Programmer and then solder it into place of the original. I was ready to do that but then I managed to flash the original chip in situ with an adapter that came with the programmer.

This was not a Radeon X1900 but I guess the same approach could work with them too (?).

Attachments

• Flashing outside of a PC.JPG
    Flashing outside of a PC.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 10

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
hello œToniCH i have a similar issue with RX 580 after flash gone wrong it would not display image neither one PC or Mac; can you advise which chip would need to be "reprogrammed" and how?

Thanks-allot!

ToniCH

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
hello œToniCH i have a similar issue with RX 580 after flash gone wrong it would not display image neither one PC or Mac; can you advise which chip would need to be "reprogrammed" and how?

Thanks-allot!
Send me a message and I'll try to find pics etc. on what I did. It's been awhile and I cannot remember all out of my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.