Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Anyone buy a Razer laptop recently? I am curious about the build quality. I have had a few Razer's over the years and I have always loved the design and looks as well as the performance but the build quality always left a bad taste in my mouth considering the cost.

When I speak of build quality I mean the outer chassis, screen, charger. The one's I had you could push the metal body where the fans were and it would bend and make contact with the fans. The charger got so hot I felt it was going to catch fire, the screen always had really bad IPS backlight bleed. Have any of these things improved?

kuroai

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
Razer has the 16 & 18 on Display at their store in London, Leiscter Square.
The new screens are awesome, it's really great to not see that bezel anymore. Apart from that it looks like it's a VERY similar size to the 15 just with 16:10 and a deeper main body with added weight. Personally the 16 & 18 are still desktop replacements meaning you can't really use it as a "laptop". I'm really curious/excited what they're planning to do with the 14. It will be a battle between asus rog Zephyrus g14(2023) & the Razer Blade 14(2023) when that comes out for me.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Razer has the 16 & 18 on Display at their store in London, Leiscter Square.
I love the dual resolution technology that the 16" offers. I wonder what the price point that will be. Probably more then what I'm willing to pay

kuroai

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
I love the dual resolution technology that the 16" offers. I wonder what the price point that will be. Probably more then what I'm willing to pay
yeah looks good would love to have played with it but it's locked down massively. It will probably cost you an arm and a leg and they haven't announced when they're releasing just taking in customer interest. But since the RAM and NVME are expandable you could probably save a lot of money going for the sku with less ram and storage and upgrading later, just lock in the gpu/screen you want. TBH I would only go with a 4070 anyways as anything bigger you just won't have the power budget to drive it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
As I feared
16"
3,600 up to 4,300. That's even beyond Apple prices :oops:
2023-02-04_12-41-00.png

Surprisingly the 18" flavor while pricey makes sense in a twisted sort of way

2023-02-04_12-41-43.png

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Those prices are insane. Even for Apple they would be insane.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Those prices are insane. Even for Apple they would be insane.
I could maybe justify spending 3,000 on a laptop but even that will be a hard sell to my wife. With pricing going up like that, I just cannot imagine these selling like hot cakes - yeah I get this is boutique vendor and high volume may not be their goal, but I still think sales be low

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I could maybe justify spending 3,000 on a laptop but even that will be a hard sell to my wife. With pricing going up like that, I just cannot imagine these selling like hot cakes - yeah I get this is boutique vendor and high volume may not be their goal, but I still think sales be low

With the current economic situation all around the world, I can say for sure that they won't be selling like crazy :)

But I'm torn. I really wish that these become great and reliable devices. And that they sell well enough for Razer to produce next generations. But on the other hand, if they sell enough of these, prices will remain the same or even rise.

Since I have no plans on purchasing any of these laptops, I'm just gonna enjoy watching and reading reviews. Hopefully the are great. For the asking price, they really shouldn't have any flaws.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Since I have no plans on purchasing any of these laptops, I'm just gonna enjoy watching and reading reviews.
I was kind of hopeing to replace my Razer with something faster but family demands, higher cost of living, it makes harder to justify any purchase as this point

Reactions: kazmac and c0ppo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Here's the latest review from the Hardware Canucks. The 16" laptop is definitely a great machine, if you can swallow the high price

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Definitely a nice machine. It's spendy, but for that kind of power there really aren't any other choices for someone like me. I know it's stupid, but I'm simply too old to own a laptop that looks like the Titan. :p

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
It really looks like Macbook but under Windows (bleh) and mostly gaming oriented
Pricing like Apple though
Why so expensive?! i wish they make like a Macbook Air M1 alternative, you know what i mean because MBA M1 is the best budget laptop i ever seen, i can get it for like 800 euros (EU here)
On Windows laptops, there are no real competitor against MBA M1, there are lower budget priced but nothing as ''sexy'' as Macbook or Razer Blade :confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
mostly gaming oriented
Razer is a company that produces gaming products, so its understandable that they have a gaming PC.

Why so expensive?! i wish they make like a Macbook Air M1 alternative, you know what i mean because MBA M1 is the best budget laptop i ever seen, i can get it for like 800 euros (EU here)
Get the MBA then. I'm not defending Razer, but just pointing out, that a MBA like laptop doesn't seem to fit their focus, i.e., gaming. Its a boutique manufacturer that doesn't sell high volumes of machines, like Dell, HP and Apple, so they generally have a higher cost associated.

On Windows laptops, there are no real competitor against MBA M1
I disagree, but you've already mentioned your distaste for windows and its not really the topic of this thread.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Apparently a lot of issues with the Blades. Mini-LED display has burn-in, which pictures show are really bad. Trackpads are mistakenly registering input due to poor palm rejection. Other displays have significant flickering.

The 18" does seem to be the better option with the additional fan. I am going to keep my eye on that model.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Apparently a lot of issues with the Blades. Mini-LED display has burn-in, which pictures show are really bad.
I just googled this and so far I only found one reddit thread.

I'm not disputing what you're putting but do you have any other links that help describe the issue?

Reactions: SteveJUAE

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
FWIW I bought my wife the Razer 14 Ryzen 9/3070 and its been fine, solely as a gaming machine. She uses it to play FFXIV.

The battery life is awful though, and its the loudest laptop I've heard lol

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I just googled this and so far I only found one reddit thread.

I'm not disputing what you're putting but do you have any other links that help describe the issue?
You have the Reddit thread, the reviews on Best Buy detailing the burn in issue, and on both Best Buy and Amazon discussing the flickering. I love their products, just stating what evidence I see online.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You have the Reddit thread, the reviews on Best Buy detailing the burn in issue, and on both Best Buy and Amazon discussing the flickering. I love their products, just stating what evidence I see online.
Like I said I'm not doubting you, I just want to read more info on it.

Technically LEDs don't get burn ins, but again, I can see how gutted the person in reddit is. I'm not doubting the issue, just looking for details

Reactions: nikster0029

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Technically LEDs don't get burn ins, but again, I can see how gutted the person in reddit is. I'm not doubting the issue, just looking for details

LG 5K gets burn ins. Not saying anything about Razer, since I know nothing about their new laptops :)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Get the MBA then. I'm not defending Razer, but just pointing out, that a MBA like laptop doesn't seem to fit their focus, i.e., gaming.

I wish they still sold the Stealth. It probably didn't sell well because gamers likely wanted more oomph than the 1650, but my gaming needs are modest and I loved the idea of being able to scratch my nerdy CUDA itch with an ultraportable. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.