Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Yes, your comparing an expensive boutique gaming focus laptop with a high cost consumer productivity laptop aimed at some creatives thats crying out for OLED and has taken 5 years to fix its keyboards LOL
So, I spent a fair bit of time thinking about this reply and really questioning if my expectations were too high, but I couldn't seem to make sense of that. See, the reason I wanted all of this in a big format machine is BECAUSE it's a gaming laptop. A keyboard is how I interact with games, and a speaker and screen is how I hear and see them. These things matter to me more on a multimedia powerhouse than they do on an office machine. I don't understand how that's weird, much less to the point of being laughable like you make it seem.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
So, I spent a fair bit of time thinking about this reply and really questioning if my expectations were too high, but I couldn't seem to make sense of that. See, the reason I wanted all of this in a big format machine is BECAUSE it's a gaming laptop. A keyboard is how I interact with games, and a speaker and screen is how I hear and see them. These things matter to me more on a multimedia powerhouse than they do on an office machine. I don't understand how that's weird, much less to the point of being laughable like you make it seem.
It's simple really and you have to consider key elements that you comment on are polar to gamers

I am not a gamer and have only bought Razer creative laptops because of performance, style and build quality, but I can understand easily the focus of these rigs that are more than capable of many other uses, However there are caveats because of their gaming elements 1st

You only have to look at Razer accessories to see mechanical keyboards , headsets speakers and many other chroma products to see what gets gamers excited

Gamers want high speed matt displays. Chroma KB are there to specifically highlight keys used in gaming 1st and not long hours spent typing documents, although the chances are that external mechanical KB are prefered. Game content, focus and immersion is likely enhanced with headsets along with mike for interaction with other players and not blasting out from your KB deck in your bedroom LOL

Your comparison to some features on a high price and well built general consumer product like MBP do not translate one to one priorities into the gamers world. Equally despite the enormous potential of these Razer rigs they may not be best suited for creatives etc, obviously.

Quite frankly once we are talking $3000 or more the MBP so called pro features start to fall behind, other than battery endurance with AS. This is supported by Apple's own metrics on "Pro"users that are a small % of MBP owners often driven by software/OS preferences. Where the % of Razer owners playing AAA games would be extremely high.

Personally I do not like matt screens and I have no issues with Razer KB and if anything they are a step up from my old Macbooks and Airs, but not as good as MS Surface. Speakers are not a priority for me but I do prefer top mounted firing up or forward

The bottom line is Razer like Apple have focused elements to suit its targeted audience and neither have the best of the best on all elements, considering the price etc. Which you seem to want to cherry pick on :)

Last edited:

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I've been using my Razor Blade 15" 3080 for some CAD rendering recently. This is high end GPU raytracing and I'm blown away by how capable it is. I bet the new 4090 16" is a beast. It's very tempting to upgrade but the resale of the 15" is so poor - I usually hand them down to my son.

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Apr 12, 2023
I've been using my Razor Blade 15" 3080 for some CAD rendering recently. This is high end GPU raytracing and I'm blown away by how capable it is. I bet the new 4090 16" is a beast. It's very tempting to upgrade but the resale of the 15" is so poor - I usually hand them down to my son.
I am checking out the Blade 15" with the 13th gen i7 and 4070. Do you know if the ram and SSD can be user upgraded?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I picked up the loaded 16” i9 4090 today. Going to be stress testing it at work this week with some important CAD rendering. I’ll report back here for anyone interested.

I thought hard about the new Mac Studio M2 but our software is optimised for Nvidia RTX and it’s so much faster.

The right tool for the right job.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Early days but I have loaded my software, Archicad, Enscape and Twinmotion. So far it is plenty fast enough and noticeably faster than my Blade 15. The screen in magnificent. Same exact width as the 15 but now taller at 16:10, and the brightness and clarity of the mini led is just amazing. I’d say it’s better than the MacBook Pro 16.

I could have built a desktop for a lot less $ but I need to be able to transport the computer between home and office so it had to be a laptop for me. Battery life is not important, I have a separate charger at home.

We are doing a big project presentation at work this week and I have 20 ray traced images to setup and render. This thing renders them in 8k in <30 seconds! This gives me more time to concentrate on the design and getting the landscaping right.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Just wanted to update everyone that my 2023 Blade Motherboard died after using it under heavy thermal load for around 10 hours per week. This was just a few days after my warranty expired. MicroCenter warranty saved me, but I lost about $800 from filing a claim on my secondary insurance.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Just wanted to update everyone that my 2023 Blade Motherboard died after using it under heavy thermal load for around 10 hours per week. This was just a few days after my warranty expired. MicroCenter warranty saved me, but I lost about $800 from filing a claim on my secondary insurance.
Well that sucks, my wife's blade 15 is still going strong. I did pull off the heatsinks and redo the thermal paste last year and that helped with temps. Few times when she just closed the lid to sleep it, windows would wake up while it was in her laptop bag and it was so hot you couldnt even pick it up! Some how survived through that a few times lol

Reactions: nikster0029

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Well that sucks, my wife's blade 15 is still going strong. I did pull off the heatsinks and redo the thermal paste last year and that helped with temps. Few times when she just closed the lid to sleep it, windows would wake up while it was in her laptop bag and it was so hot you couldnt even pick it up! Some how survived through that a few times lol
Haha. Something I’m going to try this time around. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.