Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2017 Razer Blade or 2016 MacBook Pro?

• 2016 MacBook Pro

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • 2017 Razer Blade

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If Apple would update Macs half as often as Razer updates their blade 14" everyone would be happy. Also, Razer is a fraction of the size of Apple, so you have to wonder what the hell Apple's Mac department is doing.

The problem though is the lack of components to upgrade. The 15" MBP got upgraded the exact moment when Apple had access to a better GPU. It seems that for some reason Nvidia of the Apple's game for the moment...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The problem though is the lack of components to upgrade. The 15" MBP got upgraded the exact moment when Apple had access to a better GPU. It seems that for some reason Nvidia of the Apple's game for the moment...

This is one aspect that I keep eyeballing the Dell, there's a number of components that is easily upgraded or replaced, including the battery. I'm stuck right now because my 2012 rMBP's battery is fading fast but I need to spend $$ to send it to apple to get it replaced because they cemented that thing onto the case of the computer.

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
Razer have introduced the new Razer Blade with a Kaby Lake i7, faster RAM (2400MHz DDR4), and a 4K screen (up from 3K), ad also HDMI 2 (not sure if this was on the previous one or not).

The top spec model costs $2799:

• 14" 3840x2160 touch screen
  • 2.8GHz i7-7700HQ
  • 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
  • GTX 1060 (6GB)
  • 1TB PCIe SSD
  • 1 Thunderbolt 3 port

For those wondering, compared to the $2799 MBP:

• 15.4" 2880x1800 P3 display
  • 2.7GHZ i7-6820HQ
  • 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
  • Radeon Pro 455 (2GB)
  • 512GB PCIe SSD
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports

Would anyone choose this over the new MBP?
Razer is a complete pile of ****. The materials outside are nice, but the inside engineering and parts are basically spiders. It's just fill of angry, incredibly fast and aggressive spiders. The support and quality control are horrendous as well. Do not fall for their marketing or ignorant fan base. Do not buy their ****.

Source: spent over 4k on Razer stuff, have dealt with their support and staff online.

Reactions: Boneheadxan

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are referring to in my post. I don't remember ever saying anything about final cut or mentioning CUDA.

You said the Razer was much faster than the 2016 MacBook Pros.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Neither is a good fit for my needs, equally if given the absolute choice the two, I would opt for the Mac as Apple's support is very solid. Both notebooks are very new with potential for issues, Apple is simply far easier to deal with as long as your close to a physical store, with a pretty decent online service if not.

Q-6

Reactions: v0lume4 and Sanpete

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Trust. I know a lot of people would disagree with this, but I trust Apple. I trust them to build a good product that I'd like. I've been buying Apple products since my 3rd gen iPod touch and I never regretted a purchase. I had several iPods, iPhones, iPads and Macs - and they were always a pleasure to use. I would never risk paying that much money for something I don't trust - if someone would give me that Razor to use for a month and let me decide then, perhaps I would change my mind. As it is, I would be too afraid of potential unpleasant surprises.

Nice post!

Apple's 14-day exchange/refund policy is definitely a nice plus for such a big investment, as is their established record of consistently honoring that promise. They are far from perfect, but usually (and a heck of a lot more often than with most other companies), they've got our backs.

The one experience we had with Razer's support was not what I would call ideal. Upon doing some reading, I found that such an experience wasn't unique. I even came across, "I've worked in Customer Support myself. I found that the majority of training given related to how best to get away with ripping off the customer without breaking any laws." The 14-inch Blade sounds (and the Blade looks) awesome, but, Yikes!

Last edited:

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Razer have introduced the new Razer Blade with a Kaby Lake i7, faster RAM (2400MHz DDR4), and a 4K screen (up from 3K), ad also HDMI 2 (not sure if this was on the previous one or not).

The top spec model costs $2799:

• 14" 3840x2160 touch screen
  • 2.8GHz i7-7700HQ
  • 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM
  • GTX 1060 (6GB)
  • 1TB PCIe SSD
  • 1 Thunderbolt 3 port

For those wondering, compared to the $2799 MBP:

• 15.4" 2880x1800 P3 display
  • 2.7GHZ i7-6820HQ
  • 16GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
  • Radeon Pro 455 (2GB)
  • 512GB PCIe SSD
  • 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports

Would anyone choose this over the new MBP?

Honestly I wouldn't think twice. I would get the MacBook Pro. 4K on a 14" screen is marketing only and makes no difference. And I love having a silent laptop, that Razer must be really loud at full load. Even though Sierra hasn't been Apple's best OS it's better than Windows 10. I don't want a touch screen either. That laptop only appeals to mobile gamers, which doesn't compete at all with the MacBook Pro since it's really not a gaming machine.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
You said the Razer was much faster than the 2016 MacBook Pros.

Well I did say it was more powerful. Not anything about faster. I didn't try and use any relation to programs.

I don't know why you would assume that I don't know anything about Open CL and performance gains final cut has with it.

But the statement is just about how it's a more powerful system. There wasnt a need to target what I feel about a company that just makes a more powerful GPU for many users and trying to claim I'm blindly favoring them.

But i will agree with you and say that if you want to use Apple software then yes it works better with open CL based graphics cards such as AMD. If you want to handle better applications that need cuda such as Autodesk or adobe software, then you outside of Apple.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Is it running Windows?.....no thanks then.
Why does somebody always have to say this?
[doublepost=1487298132][/doublepost]I think that the Razer Blades are really awesome. I myself would like to own one one day. To answer you OP, depends on what you want out of the laptop. I myself would take advantage of the 1060 in there for video rendering as well as games. I would hook it up to my TV when wanted and it'd replace my Xbox. So when you consider the fact that it's a laptop, desktop (external monitor, mouse, and keyboard), and an Xbox replacement all-in-one, that's pretty great.

But perhaps the graphics performance doesn't mean much to you and you really love the design of the Macbook as well as macOS. Then in that case you should get the Macbook.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Agreed. My gaming PC that I built last summer is an absolute powerhouse. In terms of Windows vs Mac OS though, I much prefer the stability of Mac OS.
I personally have never had any major issues with Windows, but it's possible that I'm an anomaly. And I haven't used Windows as a daily driver in six years so it's possible that I've forgotten what it's like to deal with some of the small things. I believe that you get what you pay for, too -- an expensive Windows machine is going to perform just like that: an expensive computer. I'd imagine you generally have a good experience with your PC?

Reactions: tech4all

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
I personally have never had any major issues with Windows, but it's possible that I'm an anomaly. And I haven't used Windows as a daily driver in six years so it's possible that I've forgotten what it's like to deal with some of the small things. I believe that you get what you pay for, too -- an expensive Windows machine is going to perform just like that: an expensive computer. I'd imagine you generally have a good experience with your PC?

Very rarely do I run into any issues with my Windows machine. I am Apple through and through believe me.. From the iPad Pro, newest iPhone every year, AirPods 2016 MBP, etc.. but I love my windows PC just the same. It handles anything and everything I can throw at it.. From video and photo editing to 4K gaming without breaking a sweat. I think you just have to go the extra mile to keep everything running smoothly which is something you typically don't have to do with a Mac, at least from my experience. Windows machines are starting to catch up, and quick. From a long term reliability stand point though, I think  wins that battle hands down.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Very rarely do I run into any issues with my Windows machine. I am Apple through and through believe me.. From the iPad Pro, newest iPhone every year, AirPods 2016 MBP, etc.. but I love my windows PC just the same. It handles anything and everything I can throw at it.. From video and photo editing to 4K gaming without breaking a sweat. I think you just have to go the extra mile to keep everything running smoothly which is something you typically don't have to do with a Mac, at least from my experience. Windows machines are starting to catch up, and quick. From a long term reliability stand point though, I think  wins that battle hands down.
Definitely. And on the topic of reliability I agree. I'm not too worried about custom-built desktops made with off the shelf parts (like your computer) because generally those are quite reliable, but as far as laptops are concerned, I don't think anyone is making laptops like Apple. The only exception to that is possibly the Surface Book. I don't own one personally so I can't say. @maflynn seems to love his, though.

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
Definitely. And on the topic of reliability I agree. I'm not too worried about custom-built desktops made with off the shelf parts (like your computer) because generally those are quite reliable, but as far as laptops are concerned, I don't think anyone is making laptops like Apple. The only exception to that is possibly the Surface Book. I don't own one personally so I can't say. @maflynn seems to love his, though.

I tossed around the idea of the Surface Book for weeks leading up to my 2016 MBP purchase.. I watched dozens of videos online, eyed them on Microsofts website all of the time.. I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one, & I'm not really even sure why.. Pretty much everything I watched & read had them very highly rated.. My first Apple laptop owned was a 2014 MBP, which my wife has now. I fell in love with it as soon as I unboxed it. I couldn't believe how precisely everything was packaged together, and how I was up and running to the desktop in a matter of minutes. I was sold on the MacBook within the first 20 minutes. Not to mention the trackpad on MacBooks are just from another world. It truly is a night and day difference compared to what seems like every Windows laptop on the planet lol.

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
one important point for me is the support of apple and the world coverage, you can find apple store pretty much at every countries around the world. But not Razer, well not the support center that is.

I'm not sure does Razer have support like giving a new unit replacement or fast repair like Apple.
If I'm working somewhere in Japan at least I know if my Mac have problem. I won't worry so much as Apple stores are everywhere there but not for Razer. Even if there is Razer there doesn't mean they all the parts or support for Razer laptop. Well that's just one example.

Buying Apple product is indeed expensive but it also comes with their premium support.

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
one important point for me is the support of apple and the world coverage, you can find apple store pretty much at every countries around the world. But not Razer, well not the support center that is.

I'm not sure does Razer have support like giving a new unit replacement or fast repair like Apple.
If I'm working somewhere in Japan at least I know if my Mac have problem. I won't worry so much as Apple stores are everywhere there but not for Razer. Even if there is Razer there doesn't mean they all the parts or support for Razer laptop. Well that's just one example.

Buying Apple product is indeed expensive but it also comes with their premium support.

Another very good point! I have always received top of the line customer support and service from Apple when I have an issue or whenever I have had to have a repair done on one of my products. It has always been super fast & without issue. Their service and tech support is another huge reason they retain me as a loyal customer. I don't think their customer service can be beat.

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Another very good point! I have always received top of the line customer support and service from Apple when I have an issue or whenever I have had to have a repair done on one of my products. It has always been super fast & without issue. Their service and tech support is another huge reason they retain me as a loyal customer. I don't think their customer service can be beat.

Thank you

One story I had back when I bought the newly release unibody MacBook Pro 2008, it's also my first Mac when I made the switch from Windows. Yes it new there's several minor issue. I've been to apple store numerous time through out the year to have all fixed one by one until in 2009 the Apple customer service told me something like this: "there's been at least 4 time your Mac has been repaired, why not we replace you a new one of the current model with similar spec"

Yes, at that time my 2008 MacBook Pro was replaced with the latest 2009 MacBook Pro high spec without any charges and it was done in a short 2-3 working days.

I never own any Razer product before, but I highly doubt any computer company can do that.

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
That right there is the perfect example. It's customer service like you received that can't be beat. Very few companies go above and beyond for their customers on a regular basis. I'll be honest though, I have heard nothing but bad stories about Razer in regards to their customer service. I have never had to go through them personally, so I can't speak on it. I own the Razer Blackwidow Chroma keyboard & mouse for the PC I built. They work great, no issues there. I have never messed around on any of their machines though. I have zero needs for an on the go dedicated gaming PC.

uscgrad

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2017
Looks good and I like the trackpad on the right hand side of the keyboard but even with the 10% discount it's over 3k. MacBook Pro for me.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well I did say it was more powerful. Not anything about faster. I didn't try and use any relation to programs.

I don't know why you would assume that I don't know anything about Open CL and performance gains final cut has with it.

But the statement is just about how it's a more powerful system. There wasnt a need to target what I feel about a company that just makes a more powerful GPU for many users and trying to claim I'm blindly favoring them.

But i will agree with you and say that if you want to use Apple software then yes it works better with open CL based graphics cards such as AMD. If you want to handle better applications that need cuda such as Autodesk or adobe software, then you outside of Apple.

Oh I agree. I prefer AMD in my Macs since I use FCPX. I prefer NVIDIA in my PCs because I run Adobe in Windows and I play games.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
When it comes to laptops and cell phones my choice has always been Apple. This is because their ecosystem is so seamless that it makes everything easier.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
Of all the reviews I've seen of the Razer Blade, it hasn't garnered great feedback. The MBP seems like a better machine in many respects.

I was mostly interested in the Dell XPS 15, but a number of those reviews compared the dell with the razer and apple. The Razer consistently was the least liked of the three.

this they trried copying macbook and thought by copying and putting everything in it it will be good. thier forum is full of faults

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.