Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2017 Razer Blade or 2016 MacBook Pro?

• 2016 MacBook Pro

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • 2017 Razer Blade

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The wiki is obviously wrong. Someone has copy-pasted the desktop version TDP without bothering to adjust them. If the mobile 1050 GTX had a TDP of 75W, it would be a horrible card and a massive downgrade efficiency-wise from a 960M used previously.

Nobody really knows the real TDP of a mobile 1050, as Nvidia doesn't publish it, but 45-50W is the most reasonable estimate. After all, that GPU is designed to replace the 950M/960M, so it most likely has the same TDP.
Then Wiki is wrong all around cause it states the 950M GTX has the same 75W TDP…

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
if you want a laptop even for games, buy the alienware 15" with 1060 and 6gb vRAM..it is a more suitable laptop for the hardware inside...you can touch the keyboard even in heavy load...the razer blade is kind of useless..if you dont game, then get the MBP

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
if you want a laptop even for games, buy the alienware 15" with 1060 and 6gb vRAM..it is a more suitable laptop for the hardware inside...you can touch the keyboard even in heavy load...the razer blade is kind of useless..if you dont game, then get the MBP

The Alienware is extremely thick and is no where as portable. What if you want a machine that can suit your needs for multiple activities besides gaming?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
In my research over the past two months, I've sadly read numerous hardware fails with Razer's laptops after a short period of time. They look like a dream on paper but it's rare when I've read good reviews from owners.

I've have also come to learn that if I need graphics power, it won't be in a laptop. I will have to replace this iMac with a PC tower IF I am still doing heavy video work at that point.

For the OP's Poll: I say neither. I don't game so I can't comment on that end of it.

improwise

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2015
The Alienware is extremely thick and is no where as portable. What if you want a machine that can suit your needs for multiple activities besides gaming?

I actually tried to use an Alienware 15 R3 as my daily driver instead of a MacBook Pro but it was just to heavy for my daily commute. In a backpack however it might not be as the difference then would be much easier to live with than with a normal sleeve bag or what ever it is called in English (not my first language). It is a really powerful computer though and with two SSDs in RAID it is REALLY fast.

BTW, what are the speeds of the bigger MacBook Pro 15 2016 drives? I read that it was something like 2500 Mbit/s read and 1500 MBit/s write, which is good not not exactly record breaking as "Apples" SSDs usually are.

Reactions: nikster0029

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think a laptop like the Dell Inspirion Gaming one that's just been launched is good. Obviously not on Apples level but a hell of a lot of bang for the buck and more powerful then the MacBook Pro, and Dell have support pretty much everywhere. You can also access its internals very easily for cleaning and upgrading. It starts from around 800 dollars, but some say the screen is poor as it's a TN panel, but you can get it with an IPS 4K screen for around 1300 dollars.

But between a Razer and a Mac, I would still choose a Mac, at that price level.

improwise

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2015
The 2 TB is fairly fast:

https://macperformanceguide.com/MacBookPro2016-SSD.html

The 512 is a little slower, but not much.

I'm guessing the drive is really a Samsung SM961 or PM961 considering speeds and available sizes. Thats not a bad thing though.
[doublepost=1487550012][/doublepost]This is a bit OT but perhaps not to much based on what is actually discussed in this thread, anyone using the MacBook Pro 15 2016 primarily to run Windows or at least run it more than occasionally? If so, using Boot Camp or some VM solution? How well does it work IRL?

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Nope.

If I'm going to buy a Windows laptop, it'll be a Dell or a Surface Book. I still have my 2012 Macbook Pro; that says all it needs to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.