Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Read?

• Total voters

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Sold my iPad for an M1 Mac recently. Your thoughts on Kindle vs OLED iPhone?

I have about 180 books in Kindle from years of using slow shipping rewards for Amazon Prime (and buying most of my books back when ebooks were $1.99 or less) - was able to port all those to Apple Books years ago and have about 300 books in Apple Books now. (I read a lot - 18 books so far this year). Up until now most of my reading has been on an iPad.

Reading on iPhone: I've read 2 books on my iPhone so far. I read with a black background and brightness way down - I find this helps reduce eye strain but holding the phone for >1 hour gets a little tiring. I prefer portrait mode but the only way I can read comfortably in Apple Books is landscape mode (due to screen utilization).

Thoughts on Kindle: Last time I used a Kindle was many years ago (right when the touch screen kindles came out) - text fuzzy, slow, battery life not terribly great but I read a lot. I haven't used the recent 300 ppi paperwhite - I'm very tempted to get one ($119) and Kindle books are usually cheaper but not a big Amazon fan. Kindle Unlimited also looks attractive.

iPhone Kindle App vs Books App: Another option - Using the Kindle app on my iPhone seems to be a better experience for this particular version of iPhone (12 Pro Max) because it utilizes the full screen whereas the Books app (Apple) does not. Drives me absolutely bonkers that the entire screen isn't being used by Apple's native Books app - almost every other app utilizes full screen space. I've submitted feature requests to Apple.

Your thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro Max: Books app (Left) vs Kindle app (Right).

IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg IMG_0821.jpeg

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Staring at an OLED screen at reduced brightness for endless hours isn't goid for any creature on earth - nor their eyeballs.
I'd say that unequivocally - reading books on OLED screens is a BAD thing to do.
401 ppi LCD plus iPhone is fine, OLED definitely not.

300 ppi kindle is by far the best choice for eyeballs and nervous system

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I'll admit I haven't been able to get to a point where reading on my iPhone was enjoyable. It didn't feel right and my eyes got tired - could be from the 100% black background with white text (reduced brightness).

I spent most of the last 2 years reading on an iPad Pro 11' 2018. I found the most comfortable reading was a sepia background with brightness way down - I could read for 6 hours non-stop that way. Sold the iPad thinking the M1 MBP would be fine but reading on that has resulted in me not reading as much as I used to.

Been trying to adapt to fewer devices but really can't get reading on the iPhone down - or on my MBP (while feeling better on the eyes, the size isn't optimal).

So I guess it's back to iPad or getting a Kindle.

Reactions: Ghost31

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Almost all my recreational reading (about a book/week) is on a 5th gen iPad, white text on a black background. I find it the least tiring on my eyeballs.

My mom reads much more then me, and is on her 6th Kindle reader. She will only read on her Kindle. Her biggest gripe is that the interface cannot be set to a larger font (she's 81). The book text, yes. The interface, no.

And I agree about the apple books app. Huge amount of reading real estate wasted.

I pre-ordered the new 12.9 iPad pro and have high hopes for the book reading on that beast.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
The advantage of the kindle is they are super light compared to an ipad and reading in sunlight is a joy (the more the better) and the battery lasts ages.
Iphone is too small. Ipad mini was ok.
but still i prefer a book (not on your list:)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
The advantage of the kindle is they are super light compared to an ipad and reading in sunlight is a joy (the more the better) and the battery lasts ages.
Iphone is too small. Ipad mini was ok.
but still i prefer a book (not on your list:)
Heh - added :). Can't believe I forgot that. Thanks!

Reactions: dgdosen

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
I'm a reader too (library books ftw) and my preference is the Kindle app on my iPad - and because most of that reading happens at night in a dark room I too opt for white text on black, with the iPad brightness dialed all the way down. I then further adjust the text brightness within the kindle app, that often has to go down to about 70%. No need to fry my dried-out eyeballs with a white screen at bedtime after a day looking at my monitors.

I prefer the iPad app over my Oasis for the black background option, and the excellent control over font size, line spacing, and paragraph width - the exact thing you asked about. I have pretty poor vision these days so when I am tired I can just make those letters bigger (and maybe even bigger) because reading is MUCH more important than sleeping, ammirite?

My beautiful Oasis with it's leather cover just gathers dust. I only read on my iPhone in a pinch, like when I am cooling my heels somewhere with no iPad.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I'm a reader too (library books ftw) and my preference is the Kindle app on my iPad - and because most of that reading happens at night in a dark room I too opt for white text on black, with the iPad brightness dialed all the way down. I then further adjust the text brightness within the kindle app, that often has to go down to about 70%. No need to fry my dried-out eyeballs with a white screen at bedtime after a day looking at my monitors.

I prefer the iPad app over my Oasis for the black background option, and the excellent control over font size, line spacing, and paragraph width - the exact thing you asked about. I have pretty poor vision these days so when I am tired I can just make those letters bigger (and maybe even bigger) because reading is MUCH more important than sleeping, ammirite?

My beautiful Oasis with it's leather cover just gathers dust. I only read on my iPhone in a pinch, like when I am cooling my heels somewhere with no iPad.
I really enjoy the Libby app - I've read dozens of books through libby. My local library says I'm helping by doing this but not really sure how since ebooks cost libraries fortunes - but it probably has something to do with funding. My wife and I have donated a massive chunk of our physical books to libraries / library funding sales.

Reactions: caligurl

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
I really enjoy the Libby app - I've read dozens of books through libby. My local library says I'm helping by doing this but not really sure how since ebooks cost libraries fortunes - but it probably has something to do with funding. My wife and I have donated a massive chunk of our physical books to libraries / library funding sales.

It’s ok...that is government money actually put to good use. Read/listen away.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Staring at an OLED screen at reduced brightness for endless hours isn't goid for any creature on earth - nor their eyeballs.
I'd say that unequivocally - reading books on OLED screens is a BAD thing to do.
401 ppi LCD plus iPhone is fine, OLED definitely not.

300 ppi kindle is by far the best choice for eyeballs and nervous system
Interestingly, why not? I‘d think OLED would make it easier to see contrast and be easier on the eyes…

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Interestingly, why not? I‘d think OLED would make it easier to see contrast and be easier on the eyes…
I have the same question. I see a lot of threads about how OLED and PWM is horrible for the nervous system. Makes my eyes start hurting to read that stuff lol.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I use the black background when reading, but I have the brightness higher so the text is whiter and there is plenty of contrast. Try turning it up (not all the way), it won't hurt your eyes. You can see the Kindle has more contrast for this reason.

ilex27

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
I tried Libby but honestly prefer OverDrive! I rip though audiobooks on my commute and while doing chores at an amazing pace. I always have two books going and a couple in the pipeline.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
I use my iPhone to read sometimes. I sometimes use physical books, although I use my MacBook to view textbooks. It's a combination of both for me.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
I refuse to buy an amazon product, especially the mediocre Kindles. Micro-USB I've gotten rid of five years ago. Won't go back to having one special charging cable lying around just for stupid amazon Kindles.
Also not being able to load epubs on it and having to convert all books to .mobi just because is stupid as well.

Pity there's no innovation nor competition in that market anymore.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
My Kindle Oasis is my preferred ereader, especially in sunlight. It's light and I can read for hours. I do not get eye strain. Like others have said, as opposed to your phone or tablet, you can focus on reading. Also, I have a paperwhite. It's great, too. However, I prefer the 7" Oasis.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I have the same question. I see a lot of threads about how OLED and PWM is horrible for the nervous system. Makes my eyes start hurting to read that stuff lol.
Unless you have PWM issue it is better for your eyes. Oled emits less blue light.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I really appreciate all the time people spent helping me with information! I decided to pick up an iPad Pro 11 2020 with a $150+ discount from Costco yesterday. I've been trying to make do without an iPad Pro 11 after using one for years and never found a good home. I was willing to try a Kindle but the fact that I've got 120+ books in Apple Books - I just put $ into an IPP 11. It's worked for me for years and years.

I tried to make an iPhone work but I think years and years of 11' reading made that near impossible.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.