Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Read?

• Total voters

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Sold my iPad for an M1 Mac recently. Your thoughts on Kindle vs OLED iPhone?

I have about 180 books in Kindle from years of using slow shipping rewards for Amazon Prime (and buying most of my books back when ebooks were $1.99 or less) - was able to port all those to Apple Books years ago and have about 300 books in Apple Books now. (I read a lot - 18 books so far this year). Up until now most of my reading has been on an iPad.

Reading on iPhone: I've read 2 books on my iPhone so far. I read with a black background and brightness way down - I find this helps reduce eye strain but holding the phone for >1 hour gets a little tiring. I prefer portrait mode but the only way I can read comfortably in Apple Books is landscape mode (due to screen utilization).

Thoughts on Kindle: Last time I used a Kindle was many years ago (right when the touch screen kindles came out) - text fuzzy, slow, battery life not terribly great but I read a lot. I haven't used the recent 300 ppi paperwhite - I'm very tempted to get one ($119) and Kindle books are usually cheaper but not a big Amazon fan. Kindle Unlimited also looks attractive.

iPhone Kindle App vs Books App: Another option - Using the Kindle app on my iPhone seems to be a better experience for this particular version of iPhone (12 Pro Max) because it utilizes the full screen whereas the Books app (Apple) does not. Drives me absolutely bonkers that the entire screen isn't being used by Apple's native Books app - almost every other app utilizes full screen space. I've submitted feature requests to Apple.

Your thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro Max: Books app (Left) vs Kindle app (Right).

View attachment 1769639 View attachment 1769641
View attachment 1769642 View attachment 1769640
I have the fist gen Paperwhite Kindle. I don’t mind reading on it really but what I don’t like is being locked down to Amazon. I liked the matte screen so much that I try to replicated it a bit on my newest gen iPad Air with a matte tempered glass screen protector. Seems a bit softer on the eyes too. The nice thing about an iPad is I can access my Kindle and Apple Books libraries on one device. To prevent distraction, I usually just put it in guided access while I’m reading. I’ve read a bit on a standard iPhone 11. The Max 11 and 12 might be ok but I don’t care for the smaller size. The perfect size is more along the lines of a paperback so if they release a new ipad mini with bezels similar to the current lineup, I might have to pick one up.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I’m only responding to the claim that kindle (e ink) is inherently easier on the eyes. I have no doubt that people have found this to be the case in their own experience, but if they are going a step further by claiming that to be an objective truth, that’s when testimonials are not enough, and it requires factual support.

To reiterate why I don’t believe this is likely an objective truth—as far as I know, light can only be measured in terms of brightness and color. This is true whether it is emitted from an lcd screen or it is emitted from a light bulb then bounced off a surface like an e ink screen. All that matters is the brightness and color of the light when it reaches our eyes. So since both of those values can be adjusted on the iPad, theoretically it could be possible to match the brightness and color of the light bouncing off the kindle screen. And in my experimentation with settings, it came very close. The color was slightly off. That leads me to believe that the higher eye strain caused by the iPad for many people is mostly due to settings. It could also possibly be people trying to read in the dark with the iPad, with the contrast of a lit screen on a black background possibly contributing to eye strain. Obviously people can’t do this with e ink since they’re forced to turn on a light. But either way it leads me to believe the kindle is not inherently better for the eyes, only circumstantially.

If there is another factor I’m missing, I’d be very interested to learn.
I’ve always heard that thely are easier on the eyes because there is no refresh rate. The screen sits stagnant using no power until you provide input to change the page. A standard screen is essentially flashing pictures at you so fast you can’t tell, which is what is bad for your eyes.

I prefer an iPad personally though

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I’ve always heard that thely are easier on the eyes because there is no refresh rate. The screen sits stagnant using no power until you provide input to change the page. A standard screen is essentially flashing pictures at you so fast you can’t tell, which is what is bad for your eyes.

iPad on lowest brightness with a matte screen protector - it's been heaven for me for the last 4 years.

Yeah, all those PWM? threads are interesting. Makes my head/eyes hurt just reading those threads. lol. I've never had a problem reading on a computer/iPad tho. Kindles... so tempting... Prime day tomorrow <cough>. :/

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
iPad on lowest brightness with a matte screen protector - it's been heaven for me for the last 4 years.

Yeah, all those PWM? threads are interesting. Makes my head/eyes hurt just reading those threads. lol. I've never had a problem reading on a computer/iPad tho. Kindles... so tempting... Prime day tomorrow <cough>. :/

I might just be biased, but I don’t see how you could do a Kindle given all your stated reasons for liking the iPad. It just feels like such old tech to me.

By the way, you’ve mentioned matte screen protectors multiple times. I assume it’s to cut down on glare, but you’re ok with the relative fuzziness of text?

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021

$100AUD off the Oasis here, $50 off paperwhite. Also paperwhite genuine leather cases half price.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have the fist gen Paperwhite Kindle. I don’t mind reading on it really but what I don’t like is being locked down to Amazon. I liked the matte screen so much that I try to replicated it a bit on my newest gen iPad Air with a matte tempered glass screen protector. Seems a bit softer on the eyes too. The nice thing about an iPad is I can access my Kindle and Apple Books libraries on one device. To prevent distraction, I usually just put it in guided access while I’m reading. I’ve read a bit on a standard iPhone 11. The Max 11 and 12 might be ok but I don’t care for the smaller size. The perfect size is more along the lines of a paperback so if they release a new ipad mini with bezels similar to the current lineup, I might have to pick one up.

what’s wrong with the current iPad mini, if you prefer that size?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I might just be biased, but I don’t see how you could do a Kindle given all your stated reasons for liking the iPad. It just feels like such old tech to me.

By the way, you’ve mentioned matte screen protectors multiple times. I assume it’s to cut down on glare, but you’re ok with the relative fuzziness of text?
Yeah I don't think I could go back to Kindle - just for the fact that I have 100+ books on Apple Books anyway ... and yeah, iPad is so much more versatile.

I use iCarez and it seems to work for me. I used a cheap matte and it made it so I couldn't even stand it (too much degradation). I notice that most of the fuzziness of text happens with white backgrounds. Dark mode (black background) - I hardly even notice that there's a screen protector on it. I read mostly in a dark room so I think that's the optimal use case for a matte screen protector. White background you get that rainbow / fuzzy effect (a lot more pronounced anyway)

Note - the iCarez on the iPad mini 5 was unusable. On the iPad Pro 11 - it's great.

$100AUD off the Oasis here, $50 off paperwhite. Also paperwhite genuine leather cases half price.
Thank you! And hello from the past :). 9:27pm Sunday here, lol.

Reactions: Surfman

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Ah interesting thought. But I believe LCDs don’t refresh unless the image on the screen is changing. If so, since reading is mostly static, refresh shouldn’t be an issue. But I could be wrong or there might be more to it. I’d have to read up on that.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Oasis has better/more light settings.
$100Aud off with prime day sales. Ordered one will see.

Kindles have long had background illumination on their display. Although of course reading from a passively illuminated screen is a different experience compared to a lit one.

I believe reading preferences are just that, preferences and that most of us can adjust to reading on anything.
Yes, but it’s just front lit, right? So it’s still a question of whether bounced light is inherently better for the eyes. The built-in light just means kindle/oasis can be read in the dark too (which may or may not be bad for the eyes).

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Yes, but it’s just front lit, right? So it’s still a question of whether bounced light is inherently better for the eyes. The built-in light just means kindle/oasis can be read in the dark too (which may or may not be bad for the eyes).
There is more to the oasis if you can be bothered going into it, i can’t remember where i read it.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
what’s wrong with the current iPad mini, if you prefer that size?
Nothing is wrong with it. I just have a new Air that is better for everything else over the mini other than reading books. Not worth the money to me for a soon outdated version just to read books. 11” isn't awful to read on. More like reading out of a magazine or textbook.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Not as much of a discount as I would have liked. But a good discount nonetheless. I'm so upset that iOS 15 Book's app doesn't let margins be modified on iPhone .... I might just go back to Kindle (for my books). They usually have better deals on books too. But I don't think I'll be going kindle. I'd rather use Kindle on my iPad/iPhone/Computer.

I held one of those Oasis' in Best Buy recently. Something about that device just strikes me as a perfect reading device. Wish I had given it a chance years ago. lol.

1624284801944.png

I recently read How We Got to Now by Steven Johnson - and all the high def color images would not have worked well on a Kindle.

vanillaspice

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
Perhaps it depends on your living and commuting situation but, when I lived in a place where I took lots of buses and spent Sundays at a Laundromat, reading reflowable text (novels, mostly) on my phone became a sheer joy because I didn't need to carry anything additional. It did take some getting used to the format but white text on a black screen did help trick me into thinking I wasn't staring directly into light. For work, I have to read a lot of periodicals that resist reflowing (stupid academic journals), and a 4K monitor helps with that—full vertical height without making the text look lousy. It's not entirely satisfying, though, and sometimes it's easier to use printed copies, even if the text is smaller—it's easier to mark up using a pencil.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Perhaps it depends on your living and commuting situation but, when I lived in a place where I took lots of buses and spent Sundays at a Laundromat, reading reflowable text (novels, mostly) on my phone became a sheer joy because I didn't need to carry anything additional. It did take some getting used to the format but white text on a black screen did help trick me into thinking I wasn't staring directly into light. For work, I have to read a lot of periodicals that resist reflowing (stupid academic journals), and a 4K monitor helps with that—full vertical height without making the text look lousy. It's not entirely satisfying, though, and sometimes it's easier to use printed copies, even if the text is smaller—it's easier to mark up using a pencil.
Question - Kindle or Apple Books? --- I'm finding that reading on my 4k monitor to be a lot more pleasant than I expected.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Question - Kindle or Apple Books? --- I'm finding that reading on my 4k monitor to be a lot more pleasant than I expected.

Aren't you sort of locked into Apple Books if you go that route?

And can you really just read staring at a computer screen? I guess that's what we do all day anyway, but it seems like an odd position for consuming a book.

Why does it seem to me like your iPad is underappreciated? Gets most of the use, but not much praise! ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Aren't you sort of locked into Apple Books if you go that route?

And can you really just read staring at a computer screen? I guess that's what we do all day anyway, but it seems like an odd position for consuming a book.

Why does it seem to me like your iPad is underappreciated? Gets most of the use, but not much praise! ?

I spent most of this year trying to get rid of it and I ended up going back to it. I'm still on a quest to reduce my devices and I'd like to get rid of it because a $800+ reading device just seems a bit much when I have an iPhone and a MacBook.

1. Yeah, I'd either have to buy a lot of books on Kindle again and/or resign to read my purchased Apple Books on my MacBook.
2. I've done it. Yeah, I read a lot on my PC. But nothing beats going to a specific room, sitting down, and getting in the mindset of: "I'm reading a book" with my iPad. I haven't been able to re-create that with another device. I can read for hours and hours in this state.
3. Good point, I think especially now that I have one, again, I should just stick with my iPad and use it for the foreseeable future. If work ever does send me traveling again, I'll just use my iPhone to read on the plane.

I like the idea of picking up an old 2018 11' Pro refurbished for $500 or so - seems a lot less of a "waste" than a $800+ reading device, lol.

vanillaspice

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
It didn't really matter except for where I could get particular titles chepaest and first. Every library I've been a member of has supported Libby and Overdrive as well, which gets you access to the Kobo/Rakuten system.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I’ve read over 50 books this year on iPhone. Average about 70-80 a year. Kindle app. Also have kindle oasis for outside reading mostly.
See, this is what I want to do. I've got a 12 Pro Max, I should be able to read on it. Wow, much respect 70-80 a year :). If I may ask, black background, white text? Sepia?

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I’ve read over 50 books this year on iPhone. Average about 70-80 a year. Kindle app. Also have kindle oasis for outside reading mostly.
How do you deal with distractions? It’s one thing to just turn off notifications, but the apps are just a swipe away. You don’t find yourself wanting to check Twitter or Macrumors? Does it have anything to do with the genre of book? I read mostly nonfiction, so boring sections are prime opportunities to switch apps.

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Not as much of a discount as I would have liked. But a good discount nonetheless. I'm so upset that iOS 15 Book's app doesn't let margins be modified on iPhone .... I might just go back to Kindle (for my books). They usually have better deals on books too. But I don't think I'll be going kindle. I'd rather use Kindle on my iPad/iPhone/Computer.

I held one of those Oasis' in Best Buy recently. Something about that device just strikes me as a perfect reading device. Wish I had given it a chance years ago. lol.

View attachment 1796022

I recently read How We Got to Now by Steven Johnson - and all the high def color images would not have worked well on a Kindle.
Got my oasis yesterday, like you said great to hold and feels quality, and the 1” bigger than the paperwhite makes a difference, the page buttons are so good, worth the extra $, love it, got 3 months kindle unlimited with it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.