Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Do You Read?

• Total voters

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I really appreciate all the time people spent helping me with information! I decided to pick up an iPad Pro 11 2020 with a $150+ discount from Costco yesterday. I've been trying to make do without an iPad Pro 11 after using one for years and never found a good home. I was willing to try a Kindle but the fact that I've got 120+ books in Apple Books - I just put $ into an IPP 11. It's worked for me for years and years.

I tried to make an iPhone work but I think years and years of 11' reading made that near impossible.

Thank you!

so it’s been a few weeks now. How’s the experience working out for you on that new iPad?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I read on my iPad mini and it’s great. High resolution, screen can be adjusted to be very easy on the eyes, and with a pop socket I can hold it comfortably with one hand for hours. Sometimes I read paper books, but I prefer saving space and trees and reading digital when I can. I’ll occasionally read on my phone if I’m caught somewhere and unexpectedly have a lot of down time, but pretty rare.
I think kindles are good because they’re less expensive, and if you really get distracted easily, but otherwise the mini is equal or better in every other way in my opinion. (You can also turn on “do not disturb”.)

Last edited:

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I use to read a lot on my iPad Mini 2, it was easy to hold one handed laying down on my side. The 11" Pro is a bit too big to do that comfortably for me, so just use my phone now. Need to get back into it but could read on my iPhone X from a full charge down to red using a black background/white text.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Iphone if I am on public transport on a short journey.. or a bit on lunch break, otherwise iPad air 3. Much prefer physical books, even if they aren't as pocketable...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
so it’s been a few weeks now. How’s the experience working out for you on that new iPad?
I had used a 2018 iPad Pro 11 for years but got rid of it at the start of 2021. However I really couldn’t read like I could on it with my iPhone or other devices. So I decided to go back. Kind of expensive for a reading device but it seems the most optimal for me. I tried reading on my phone for awhile but constantly having to scroll horizontally got old and I got tired after an hour whereas I can read on the pro for 6+.

I don’t like the idea of a $800 reading device but I guess there are more expensive hobbies (Starbucks or smoking or drinking).

I really wish Apple Books used the entire screen of my iPhone 12 Pro Max like Kindle and every other app.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Unless you have PWM issue it is better for your eyes. Oled emits less blue light.

Blue light has nothing to do with eye health. Blue light relates to your body's ability to regulate your circadian rhythm. Those eyeglasses that block blue light are actually hurting that ability. You should get plenty of blue light during the day and then cut down on it in the evenings.

Reactions: !!!

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Sold my iPad for an M1 Mac recently. Your thoughts on Kindle vs OLED iPhone?

I have about 180 books in Kindle from years of using slow shipping rewards for Amazon Prime (and buying most of my books back when ebooks were $1.99 or less) - was able to port all those to Apple Books years ago and have about 300 books in Apple Books now. (I read a lot - 18 books so far this year). Up until now most of my reading has been on an iPad.

Reading on iPhone: I've read 2 books on my iPhone so far. I read with a black background and brightness way down - I find this helps reduce eye strain but holding the phone for >1 hour gets a little tiring. I prefer portrait mode but the only way I can read comfortably in Apple Books is landscape mode (due to screen utilization).

Thoughts on Kindle: Last time I used a Kindle was many years ago (right when the touch screen kindles came out) - text fuzzy, slow, battery life not terribly great but I read a lot. I haven't used the recent 300 ppi paperwhite - I'm very tempted to get one ($119) and Kindle books are usually cheaper but not a big Amazon fan. Kindle Unlimited also looks attractive.

iPhone Kindle App vs Books App: Another option - Using the Kindle app on my iPhone seems to be a better experience for this particular version of iPhone (12 Pro Max) because it utilizes the full screen whereas the Books app (Apple) does not. Drives me absolutely bonkers that the entire screen isn't being used by Apple's native Books app - almost every other app utilizes full screen space. I've submitted feature requests to Apple.

Your thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro Max: Books app (Left) vs Kindle app (Right).

View attachment 1769639 View attachment 1769641
View attachment 1769642 View attachment 1769640
As someone with the newest Kindle Oasis that reads a ton it’s not even a comparison. Kindle blows iPhone out of the water in terms of reading and they’re very affordable. Buy one on sale during Prime days coming up in a few days, your eyes will thank you!

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I read primarily on my iPhone (when I'm out of the house) or my iPad Pro 11" (when I'm home). I don't do black background w/white text because that actually HURTS my eyes and I end up getting bad headaches after a few minutes (I don't know if this has anything to do with my astigmatism or what, but I've always been like this, can't read white on black), so I stick to sepia instead. I don't know how anyone can read white on black, that strains my eyes WAY more than black on white.

I do like reading physical books too - I'm one of those that love the smell of books. If only they wouldn't take up so much space, I'd have continued buying physical books. I turned to eBooks because I could keep my whole library of books on one device and take it with me wherever I go.

pinsquid

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
When reading books, Kindle all the way (especially the Oasis). As others have mentioned, eye strain and staring at an illuminated screen for hours on end isn't the greatest experience, but for me personally, I read much faster on a kindle/physical book and I feel like my flow of reading is interrupted less.

That being said, the recent iPads of the last 5ish years have been absolute gamechangers if you enjoy things like graphic novels, comic books, manga, etc.. Way better on an iPad.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
As someone with the newest Kindle Oasis that reads a ton it’s not even a comparison. Kindle blows iPhone out of the water in terms of reading and they’re very affordable. Buy one on sale during Prime days coming up in a few days, your eyes will thank you!

When reading books, Kindle all the way (especially the Oasis). As others have mentioned, eye strain and staring at an illuminated screen for hours on end isn't the greatest experience, but for me personally, I read much faster on a kindle/physical book and I feel like my flow of reading is interrupted less.

That being said, the recent iPads of the last 5ish years have been absolute gamechangers if you enjoy things like graphic novels, comic books, manga, etc.. Way better on an iPad.
I always see people saying kindles are better for your eyes, and I used to believe them until I saw someone make a good point: light is light, and that’s all our eyes can see. As far as I know, the only difference between different types of light is intensity (brightness) and frequency (color). Whether it bounces off paper or emits from pixels, as long as the intensity and frequency is the same by the time it hits your eyes, there shouldn’t be any difference to your eyes. To test this I used a kindle and iPad side by side and adjusted the brightness and night shift until it looked pretty darn close to the same as the kindle display. But the iPad was dimmer and warmer than I usually have it, so now I think the only reason people think kindle display is better for the eyes is because their iPad screens are set too bright and blue.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I do like reading physical books too - I'm one of those that love the smell of books. If only they wouldn't take up so much space, I'd have continued buying physical books. I turned to eBooks because I could keep my whole library of books on one device and take it with me wherever I go.
Yes, digital is just too darn convenient. But I’ll still occasionally buy physical if it’s a really special book that deserves to take up bookshelf space haha.

Reactions: DiCaprioAngel

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
I always see people saying kindles are better for your eyes, and I used to believe them until I saw someone make a good point: light is light, and that’s all our eyes can see. As far as I know, the only difference between different types of light is intensity (brightness) and frequency (color). Whether it bounces off paper or emits from pixels, as long as the intensity and frequency is the same by the time it hits your eyes, there shouldn’t be any difference to your eyes. To test this I used a kindle and iPad side by side and adjusted the brightness and night shift until it looked pretty darn close to the same as the kindle display. But the iPad was dimmer and warmer than I usually have it, so now I think the only reason people think kindle display is better for the eyes is because their iPad screens are set too bright and blue.
Until you go outside

Reactions: JBGoode

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I really appreciate all the time people spent helping me with information! I decided to pick up an iPad Pro 11 2020 with a $150+ discount from Costco yesterday. I've been trying to make do without an iPad Pro 11 after using one for years and never found a good home. I was willing to try a Kindle but the fact that I've got 120+ books in Apple Books - I just put $ into an IPP 11. It's worked for me for years and years.

I tried to make an iPhone work but I think years and years of 11' reading made that near impossible.

Thank you!

Arrived at the thread late, was going to recommend iPad as it's the most versatile option (Apple Books, Kindle app & Libby/OverDrive) plus, it's an iPad.

But considering your avatar, @BigMcGuire I have to ask – have you considered a PADD, if you can get hold of one?

image.jpeg
image.png
image.png

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Sold my iPad for an M1 Mac recently. Your thoughts on Kindle vs OLED iPhone?

I have about 180 books in Kindle from years of using slow shipping rewards for Amazon Prime (and buying most of my books back when ebooks were $1.99 or less) - was able to port all those to Apple Books years ago and have about 300 books in Apple Books now. (I read a lot - 18 books so far this year). Up until now most of my reading has been on an iPad.

Reading on iPhone: I've read 2 books on my iPhone so far. I read with a black background and brightness way down - I find this helps reduce eye strain but holding the phone for >1 hour gets a little tiring. I prefer portrait mode but the only way I can read comfortably in Apple Books is landscape mode (due to screen utilization).

Thoughts on Kindle: Last time I used a Kindle was many years ago (right when the touch screen kindles came out) - text fuzzy, slow, battery life not terribly great but I read a lot. I haven't used the recent 300 ppi paperwhite - I'm very tempted to get one ($119) and Kindle books are usually cheaper but not a big Amazon fan. Kindle Unlimited also looks attractive.

iPhone Kindle App vs Books App: Another option - Using the Kindle app on my iPhone seems to be a better experience for this particular version of iPhone (12 Pro Max) because it utilizes the full screen whereas the Books app (Apple) does not. Drives me absolutely bonkers that the entire screen isn't being used by Apple's native Books app - almost every other app utilizes full screen space. I've submitted feature requests to Apple.

Your thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

iPhone 12 Pro Max: Books app (Left) vs Kindle app (Right).

View attachment 1769639 View attachment 1769641
View attachment 1769642 View attachment 1769640
I tried many times to read book on iPhone and iPad, and still end up with tiring eyes. Now, I prefer reading in kindle (oasis) and paper book.

Last edited:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I PREFER the way text appears on a Kindle, but I can't stand the interface. So slow. Problem is I also don't like the iPad for reading because it's not as toss-able as the Kindle and it's more unwieldy to hold. I still feel like I have to baby the iPad whereas I can treat the Kindle like I treat any hardcover book.

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
Light is not light, it’s not as simple as that and a large portion of the time the kindle isn't using light with the e-ink screen. I've experienced them both first hand extensively and it’s silly of you to invalidate many peoples experiences. Then you have the fact that kindle looks great outdoors when iPads and phones have a terrible glare and struggles to get bright enough for in the sun viewing. Also factor in weight and Kindles are a no brainer for people who read.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Light is not light, it’s not as simple as that and a large portion of the time the kindle isn't using light with the e-ink screen. I've experienced them both first hand extensively and it’s silly of you to invalidate many peoples experiences. Then you have the fact that kindle looks great outdoors when iPads and phones have a terrible glare and struggles to get bright enough for in the sun viewing. Also factor in weight and Kindles are a no brainer for people who read.
I’m only responding to the claim that kindle (e ink) is inherently easier on the eyes. I have no doubt that people have found this to be the case in their own experience, but if they are going a step further by claiming that to be an objective truth, that’s when testimonials are not enough, and it requires factual support.

To reiterate why I don’t believe this is likely an objective truth—as far as I know, light can only be measured in terms of brightness and color. This is true whether it is emitted from an lcd screen or it is emitted from a light bulb then bounced off a surface like an e ink screen. All that matters is the brightness and color of the light when it reaches our eyes. So since both of those values can be adjusted on the iPad, theoretically it could be possible to match the brightness and color of the light bouncing off the kindle screen. And in my experimentation with settings, it came very close. The color was slightly off. That leads me to believe that the higher eye strain caused by the iPad for many people is mostly due to settings. It could also possibly be people trying to read in the dark with the iPad, with the contrast of a lit screen on a black background possibly contributing to eye strain. Obviously people can’t do this with e ink since they’re forced to turn on a light. But either way it leads me to believe the kindle is not inherently better for the eyes, only circumstantially.

If there is another factor I’m missing, I’d be very interested to learn.

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
I’m only responding to the claim that kindle (e ink) is inherently easier on the eyes. I have no doubt that people have found this to be the case in their own experience, but if they are going a step further by claiming that to be an objective truth, that’s when testimonials are not enough, and it requires factual support.

To reiterate why I don’t believe this is likely an objective truth—as far as I know, light can only be measured in terms of brightness and color. This is true whether it is emitted from an lcd screen or it is emitted from a light bulb then bounced off a surface like an e ink screen. All that matters is the brightness and color of the light when it reaches our eyes. So since both of those values can be adjusted on the iPad, theoretically it could be possible to match the brightness and color of the light bouncing off the kindle screen. And in my experimentation with settings, it came very close. The color was slightly off. That leads me to believe that the higher eye strain caused by the iPad for many people is mostly due to settings. It could also possibly be people trying to read in the dark with the iPad, with the contrast of a lit screen on a black background possibly contributing to eye strain. Obviously people can’t do this with e ink since they’re forced to turn on a light. But either way it leads me to believe the kindle is not inherently better for the eyes, only circumstantially.

Oasis has better/more light settings.
$100Aud off with prime day sales. Ordered one will see.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

Kindles have long had background illumination on their display. Although of course reading from a passively illuminated screen is a different experience compared to a lit one.

I believe reading preferences are just that, preferences and that most of us can adjust to reading on anything.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I am a heavy reader and I love my Kindle Oasis. Very expensive for what it is (even with Black Friday or Prime Day pricing) but such a great reading experience! I read a lot outdoors or in bed in dark and it adjusts wonderfully for both bright sunlight and very low light conditions. If you’re a bookworm who likes portability and convenience of electronic books, Kindle is a no-brainer and if affordability is not a concern, you should definitely go for the Oasis. Paperwhite is pretty good but the build quality and features (physical buttons with auto reversibility) justify the extra expense IMO. You can always pick up reading on Kindle app on your phone on the go bc Kindle syncs beautifully.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Arrived at the thread late, was going to recommend iPad as it's the most versatile option (Apple Books, Kindle app & Libby/OverDrive) plus, it's an iPad.

But considering your avatar, @BigMcGuire I have to ask – have you considered a PADD, if you can get hold of one?

View attachment 1795181 View attachment 1795182 View attachment 1795183
One of the greatest replies I've ever gotten on MacRumors - thank you very much. :)

I've watched Star Trek all my life and the PADD was something I always wanted as a kid. When the iPad first came out, yep, I knew I had to have one. Been reading on one ever since.

Since I was a kid, Star Trek has been a major influence in my love of technology, computers, science, reading.

I've been using an iPad Pro 11 for the last 4 years to do most of my reading (this year included).

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012

Kindles have long had background illumination on their display. Although of course reading from a passively illuminated screen is a different experience compared to a lit one.

I believe reading preferences are just that, preferences and that most of us can adjust to reading on anything.

I am a heavy reader and I love my Kindle Oasis. Very expensive for what it is (even with Black Friday or Prime Day pricing) but such a great reading experience! I read a lot outdoors or in bed in dark and it adjusts wonderfully for both bright sunlight and very low light conditions. If you’re a bookworm who likes portability and convenience of electronic books, Kindle is a no-brainer and if affordability is not a concern, you should definitely go for the Oasis. Paperwhite is pretty good but the build quality and features (physical buttons with auto reversibility) justify the extra expense IMO. You can always pick up reading on Kindle app on your phone on the go bc Kindle syncs beautifully.

Amazing replies, thank you all!

I read heavily on a Kindle years ago, on the Kindle 3 if I remember right. A family member of mine is still using this Kindle today to read. While I enjoyed the Kindle, I never read as much on a device as I have an iPad. I think because most of my reading is not limited to Books. I do a lot of Economist, WSJ, Ars Technica, Macrumors, and other websites. This is what turned me off about the Kindle - I hate having separate devices if I don't have to. The iPad, however, was not as great as the Kindle initially. However, over time, the iPad Pro 11 with a matte screen protector became AMAZING. Lower the brightness, black background, white text = I could read all weekend with no problems.

I read about 30 books a year and ... due to not having to spend 3+ hours a day driving, I've almost doubled that thanks to remote work policies. For me it has always been the reflectivity and brightness that matter the most. Get rid of reflectivity, turn down the brightness, I can read forever. Long flights from CA to DC - my iPhone with black background, white text, and brightness almost all the way down? Perfect.

My attempt earlier this year was to rid myself the need of an iPad. I tried reading on my MBP, my iPhone but it just isn't as pleasant as an iPad for some reason - this may be mental due to me associating iPad with reading.

Yesterday I bought some matte screen protectors for my MBP. I'm interested to see how this affects my reading on my M1 MBP. I'd still like to rid myself of yet another device (iPad) - especially now that my M1 MBP can be used on a lap without cooking my legs - but the reflectivity is too much (maybe the matte screen protector will suffice?). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N68HI9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 -- Will be arriving today. --- My worry is that the clarity will be affected. iCarez on iPhone/iPad is doable for me but other no-name brand matte protectors distort too much.

Kindles do attract me because Kindle on iPhone utilizes my iPhone 12 Pro Max' screen whereas Apple Books does not. But I'm trying to reduce device dependence.

Really hoping that iOS 15 fixes Apple Books on iPhone. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/books-app-margins.2247162/

With Amazon Prime Day coming up, the temptation of a Kindle is ... high.

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.