Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eekamouse

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
It’s still not right IMO. The nose and eyes are not in focus, unless you weren’t focusing on that area?
yes tapped focus on his eyes and yes agree on that, also image once exported is much darker than it shows on the phone so still not optimal

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
What I don't understand is why are these problems reported by multiple people on this and other threads, yet nowhere can I find a reviewer that has put the camera through its paces that mentions anything about it? This confuses me.

EDIT: I hope this edit gets in before anyone has composed a response. I understand how someone could read the post and take it as a passive-aggressive "You guys are lying" comment. That's not at all what I mean. You've demonstrated the problem right here in the thread. I'm also taking the reviewers at their word, too. There is a disconnect, somewhere.

Last edited:

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
What I don't understand is why are these problems reported by multiple people on this and other threads, yet nowhere can I find a reviewer that has put the camera through its paces that mentions anything about it? This confuses me.

This is confusing for me too. I haven’t seen any reviews mention these issues, but I am experiencing them a lot. I usually need to take multiple exposures and double check them to see how processed the picture is, how sharp it became, and if the correct lens was used.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
This is confusing for me too. I haven’t seen any reviews mention these issues, but I am experiencing them a lot. I usually need to take multiple exposures and double check them to see how processed the picture is, how sharp it became, and if the correct lens was used.

I'm expecting to upgrade after the holidays, and this really is a buzzkill. I can buy the phone and try it for a week and see what I think...but I don't like buying expecting to return it. In the meantime I'll just keep looking around. Someone else on this thread mentioned Live Photos. I virtually never take them currently; he seemed to think that was the answer, but others on the thread think otherwise. He did mention about setting it to VIEW live photos rather than to TAKE live photos; I'd never seen (or looked for) that option.

I've got a few months for this all to shake out, lol.

Reactions: !!!

renesan

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
Germany
Did anybody do a fresh install of the phone? Most of us will likely clone it from the old phone or restore a backup and maybe take over some settings which spoils the config for the new phone.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I'm expecting to upgrade after the holidays, and this really is a buzzkill. I can buy the phone and try it for a week and see what I think...but I don't like buying expecting to return it. In the meantime I'll just keep looking around. Someone else on this thread mentioned Live Photos. I virtually never take them currently; he seemed to think that was the answer, but others on the thread think otherwise. He did mention about setting it to VIEW live photos rather than to TAKE live photos; I'd never seen (or looked for) that option.

I've got a few months for this all to shake out, lol.

I was thinking about returning my phone since this initially was a let down for me. However, I find the macro really nice and boosts my creativity, and photos are generally good. The screen is also really good.
Most changes are noticeable when picking up my 11 and the screen feels sluggish, and phone needs to be further away when shooting.
Hopefully some issues can be fixed with updates or maybe a fresh reinstall is needed.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I have also noticed this on wife's 13PM. First of all, annoying is the wait times(1 sec) - previously it wasn't that slow(on 12PM).

I guess it is the AI photo chiming in to the process. Less powerful iphones with less lens are not doing this sort of thing.
Probably 13PM is too powerful, so Apple put too many obligations on it: just imagine, when you click to shoot only once, iphone actually takes 10 photos, then stitches 2-4 best of them into 1 shot, while jogging between crops of main wide camera and telephoto by selecting which one is better. As a result, you bought the marketing speech of Apple with AI photos - you have to live with it. From personal experience, it comes handy and useful at some point. HDR stitch and raw processing will take me a lot of time(dark front, sunset behind the object). To get bright photo, on iphone i click once and done, otherwise without AI, i have to stitch it myself after taking photos with tripod.

Solutions:
1) Halide app.
Install halide app and shoot RAW. Then you get 12 MB photo files and work with them in Lightroom up to your taste. My results have shown that Halide app produces much better quality pictures - less painting effect, less sharpness but more details preserved, photo has more volume to it. Cons: big size, not intuitive process of shooting(takes more time), need to edit in 3rd party software afterwards.

2) Buy a mirrorless camera. Even my 2011 Sony nex 7 mirrorless blows out of the water 13PM pictures. If i need a good results i bring my camera and have fun while editing in Lightroom. If no camera around, 13PM(wife)/12 mini(mine) does the job.

Reactions: MrAperture

alicant3

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
Did anybody do a fresh install of the phone? Most of us will likely clone it from the old phone or restore a backup and maybe take over some settings which spoils the config for the new phone.
Mine was a fresh install, mostly because I tried the Move to iOS app but it did not work, I have tried it like several times, watched videos on how to disable mobile data and forget networks but still didn't. So fresh install for me.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England

EDIT: I hope this edit gets in before anyone has composed a response. I understand how someone could read the post and take it as a passive-aggressive "You guys are lying" comment. That's not at all what I mean. You've demonstrated the problem right here in the thread. I'm also taking the reviewers at their word, too. There is a disconnect, somewhere.
This is exactly what I'm wondering too. I have watched loads of reviews of the iPhone 13 Pro on YouTube and not one person has mentioned this and almost all are full of nothing but praise for the camera and quality of photos. I'm not suggesting there isn't an issue, just surprised it's not been raised by more people.

I am still waiting for delivery of my iPhone 13 Pro and am busy reading the various threads on here in the meantime. I am coming from an iPhone SE 2, so I guess I should expect to see big improvements regardless. However, I do have the ProCamera app which I like so if I want to avoid the affect of Apple's post-processing, I could just shoot with that, right?

Reactions: !!! and lkalliance

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
You can try this if you don’t like how a Deep Fusion looks:

Go to settings, camera app and turn ON “view outside the frame”. This turns off deep fusion processing and let’s you zoom out if a picture after taking it which effectively allows you to reframe shots.

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
UK
This is the photo taken on the 13 which made me think that something doesn't look right. Upgrading from the X to the 13 meant that I lost the telephoto, but gained the ultra wide (couldn't stretch to the pro). Seemed like a win for me, as I take a lot of photos of landscapes. I had a similar photo in my library so I tried to line them up. The other photo was taken on a micro 4/3 using a very cheap wide angle.
The iPhone photo looked fantastic on the phone, not zoomed in. As soon as I zoomed in, then I began seeing the processing. Neither photo is perfect of course, but I'm used to seeing photos more like the one on the right from my X.

Years of receiving photos from various sources for use in all sizes of print, from brochures to exhibition stands, has given me some sort of photo OCD!

iphone13.jpg Not-with-iphone-13.jpg

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020

Go to settings, camera app and turn ON “view outside the frame”. This turns off deep fusion processing and let’s you zoom out if a picture after taking it which effectively allows you to reframe shots.

I don’t think the issue is deep fusion, think it’s smart HDR.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019

That’s not how View Outside the Frame works.

That’s how Capture Outside the Frame used to work prior to iOS 14. The feature is now gone. View Outside the Frame neither allows you to reframe photos, nor disables Deep Fusion.

Sullivan0930

Suspended
Oct 14, 2021
this thread has me nervous on jumping on purchasing a 13 pro. My main reason to upgrade is I want to finally use Apple ProRaw and start leaving my a6100 behind a bit more....but these washed out images are looking rough.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I can see that some people are definitely having camera issues here. It’s kind of surprising though as my 13 Pro has been fantastic. I’m definitely getting better shots than I could with the main/wide camera on my 12 Pro. Here are a couple indoor shots in poor to moderate lighting that I took with my 13 Pro which are simply stunning to me:

09FFA66B-8C47-49EE-9BE5-7B1C4FE4549D.jpeg

4F20FD82-0D4E-40C3-8E12-4CC9FCCE1F7C.jpeg

Makes me wonder if those having problems should exchange their phones? The only time I see an issue is with the 3x zoom lens; it does look a bit weird if you really examine it, like a green screen effect as others have also reported here and on other tech sites.

Last edited:

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
This is the photo taken on the 13 which made me think that something doesn't look right. Upgrading from the X to the 13 meant that I lost the telephoto, but gained the ultra wide (couldn't stretch to the pro). Seemed like a win for me, as I take a lot of photos of landscapes. I had a similar photo in my library so I tried to line them up. The other photo was taken on a micro 4/3 using a very cheap wide angle.
The iPhone photo looked fantastic on the phone, not zoomed in. As soon as I zoomed in, then I began seeing the processing. Neither photo is perfect of course, but I'm used to seeing photos more like the one on the right from my X.

Years of receiving photos from various sources for use in all sizes of print, from brochures to exhibition stands, has given me some sort of photo OCD!

View attachment 1867138 View attachment 1867139
I definitely prefer the 13 photo. The other photo looks totally out of focus.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
this thread has me nervous on jumping on purchasing a 13 pro. My main reason to upgrade is I want to finally use Apple ProRaw and start leaving my a6100 behind a bit more....but these washed out images are looking rough.

As a photographer, I can advise you that the Sony will still be what you pick up… ProRaw isn’t anything special, just Apple’s version of a DNG file but containing computational edits baked in. The iPhone camera is great as a back up, or for every day stuff but beyond that it’s still got massive limitations compared to the APSC sensor size, and that’s before you go into a quality lens and the massive benefits it offers.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
This is exactly what I'm wondering too. I have watched loads of reviews of the iPhone 13 Pro on YouTube and not one person has mentioned this and almost all are full of nothing but praise for the camera and quality of photos. I'm not suggesting there isn't an issue, just surprised it's not been raised by more people.

I am still waiting for delivery of my iPhone 13 Pro and am busy reading the various threads on here in the meantime. I am coming from an iPhone SE 2, so I guess I should expect to see big improvements regardless. However, I do have the ProCamera app which I like so if I want to avoid the affect of Apple's post-processing, I could just shoot with that, right?
I’d say the same, would use ProCanera or Halide or something…but you do give up Night Mode, for what it’s worth. Tradeoffs, phooey.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
That’s not how View Outside the Frame works.

That’s how Capture Outside the Frame used to work prior to iOS 14. The feature is now gone. View Outside the Frame neither allows you to reframe photos, nor disables Deep Fusion.

Oh wow I never realized that they changed it! Thank you. I am surprised that my setting in ios13 to turn off capture outside the frame was converted to have the view outside the frame be turned off.

Reactions: Wizec

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I took the first pictures outside today. I just come back to observe the watercolor effect in one of the photos. I really believe that there's a bug and not a hardware issue. Notice that in the info panel, one says Ultrawide and another Telephoto, but (obviously) both were taken with the same lens.

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3288.PNG

IMG_3289.PNG

Reactions: !!! and Ahmed7

alicant3

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
I took the first pictures outside today. I just come back to observe the watercolor effect in one of the photos. I really believe that there's a bug and not a hardware issue. Notice that in the info panel, one says Ultrawide and another Telephoto, but (obviously) both were taken with the same lens.

View attachment 1867474
View attachment 1867479

View attachment 1867480
View attachment 1867481
By the info panel I do think it used different cameras, different aperture but what surprised was difference in MB .... 3 times more on the telephoto one. I never got this level of awful photos out of my 13PM but it looks like a bug.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I can see that some people are definitely having camera issues here. It’s kind of surprising though as my 13 Pro has been fantastic. I’m definitely getting better shots than I could with the main/wide camera than my 12 Pro was able to. Here are a couple indoor shots in poor to moderate lighting that I took with my 13 Pro which are simply stunning to me:

View attachment 1867274
View attachment 1867275

Makes me wonder if those having problems should exchange their phones? The only time I see an issue is with the 3x zoom lens; it does look a bit weird if you really examine it, like a green screen effect as others have also reported here and on other tech sites.
The difference is that you're considering the image as a whole, not pixel-peeping 100% crops looking for faults.

If you peruse photography forums you'll see much of the same talk - people discussing how garbage every camera/lens is based upon microscopic scrutiny of faults that 99% of the population would never even notice or care about.

If the iPhone camera was as bad as a few people claim, it would be shouted from the rooftops in every review, and every other brand would use it as a huge marketing opportunity to show how much better their phone cameras are.

Last edited:

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL

Some beauties in this thread. Maybe IM the member and ask about their settings?

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2018
UK

View attachment 1867474
View attachment 1867479

View attachment 1867480
View attachment 1867481
That's a great example of what I was seeing before I returned mine. If every shot was a clear as the second, I'd be over the moon!

Reactions: !!!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.