Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
If the iPhone camera was as bad as a few people claim, it would be shouted from the rooftops in every review, and every other brand would use it as a huge marketing opportunity to show how much better their phone cameras are.

I think many of us who experience the problems agree it seems to be in the software (except the blur the aperture can create in some images). Maybe it’s just some devices, or there is something in the device configuration, but obviously several users are reporting issues.

ringomainichi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
I took the first pictures outside today. I just come back to observe the watercolor effect in one of the photos. I really believe that there's a bug and not a hardware issue. Notice that in the info panel, one says Ultrawide and another Telephoto, but (obviously) both were taken with the same lens.

Doesn't look like they were taken with the same lens. If the phone somehow decided to use the ultra wide lens and crop it to the telephoto field of view, instead of using the actual telephoto lens, that would explain the poor quality and the smaller file size in the first image. Even though both info screens have 77mm next to the ISO 32, the first one says f1.8 which the ultra wide camera has, and 2x the shutter speed. If you are getting poor results try checking the info after taking a shot and see if it was using the ultra wide (or wide) instead of what you expected. I know the phone can switch automatically from the telephoto to wide in low light, but your shots appear to be in bright light.
There's a thread on dpreview.com about this issue:
Supposedly there will be an update to keep it from switching to ultrawide automatically for macro photos, we'll see if it helps with other situations.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I aren’t having problems with our 13pm. The photos we are capturing feel a lot sharper and far more light realistic than our 12pm. We are constantly mentioning how the photos look like one could just reach into the monitor and touch the photo as if it were real. I get the feeling that these sensors let in a lot more light like if I was using a full frame canon. I’ve been constantly impressed with this camera so much that I’m going out more to take more photos. Hope y’all find out what’s going on.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I can see that some people are definitely having camera issues here. It’s kind of surprising though as my 13 Pro has been fantastic. I’m definitely getting better shots than I could with the main/wide camera than my 12 Pro was able to. Here are a couple indoor shots in poor to moderate lighting that I took with my 13 Pro which are simply stunning to me:

View attachment 1867274
View attachment 1867275

Makes me wonder if those having problems should exchange their phones? The only time I see an issue is with the 3x zoom lens; it does look a bit weird if you really examine it, like a green screen effect as others have also reported here and on other tech sites

WOW nice pics, I had a probabmatic 13 Pro and then switched it out new one is great!

Attachments

• tempImageo1hFS6.png
    tempImageo1hFS6.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 490

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
I can see that some people are definitely having camera issues here. It’s kind of surprising though as my 13 Pro has been fantastic. I’m definitely getting better shots than I could with the main/wide camera than my 12 Pro was able to. Here are a couple indoor shots in poor to moderate lighting that I took with my 13 Pro which are simply stunning to me:

View attachment 1867274
View attachment 1867275

Makes me wonder if those having problems should exchange their phones? The only time I see an issue is with the 3x zoom lens; it does look a bit weird if you really examine it, like a green screen effect as others have also reported here and on other tech sites.

Damn, the one on the bottom 🥴 the edges are extremely blurry-ish

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Damn, the one on the bottom 🥴 the edges are extremely blurry-ish
This was after the sun was down, with poor LED lighting from behind and beside the subject.

I don’t see that any of the edges are “extremely” blurry. The main subject area of the picture is in great focus given the lighting. Zoom in on the whiskers and the cat’s left eye. Absolutely amazing detail, the eye looks like glass.

I also have a Canon DSLR; even with a tripod in this lighting its pictures are soft, blurred junk without a strong flash. The 13 Pro stomps it into the ground in most of the situations where I’m shooting, other than brightly lit outdoor settings where its higher megapixels and/or longer zoom can be brought to bear.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: shadyman

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Thank you ringomainichi, for the link to DPR. That user had exactly same bug as me as well.
Guess is iPhone XS all over again (remember the ultra smoothening of faces -denied by many here in MR- and then acknowledged and corrected by Apple).

Couple of pics more. First one with Wide (zoomed to match the second picture) and Telephoto.
The tele lens results have a great detail. Look at the leaves on the tree, perfectly sharp. However, in the wide lens
they are blurry.
The tree is at 10 meters / 33 foot from the camera. Is that the expected result?

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 08.21.59.png

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
iPhone 13 Pro on left vs iPhone 11 Pro on right
Notice the differences in the sky and the chimney at the left of the lightning rod. Greens are more accurate on the 11 Pro picture.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.52.00.png

Recklesss

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2021
I don’t have this option on my 13 pro. We shouldn’t have to compromise anyway..
I also have the 13 Pro, it’s weird that you don’t have this setting 🤔

And turning off this setting doesn’t mean turning off HDR, it means it won’t display the full HDR range of the photo when you display it on your screen. That’s why when you open the photo in PS, it looks normal and natural, because it’s not displaying the HDR range.

I don’t think it’s a bug but a display option, try it for yourself

Last edited:

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
Look at this photos. There is a weird shadow all around. Lovely day in Kew, London by the way. I feel that my XS was taking better pictures.

Last edited:

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Look at this photos. There is a weird shadow all around. Lovely day in Kew, London by the way. I feel that my XS was taking better pictures.
What worry me most is how things that are near the camera and should be in focus, aren't. Like the grass and the flowers just at the left on the second picture. There's no detail at all.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
Somewhat glad to see its not just me with this problem. Really really impressed with the macro, but in low ish light, the standard and telephoto lenses seem rubbish, really grainy with no focus.

thought it was the lens cover i had on so got rid of that but no difference. Have also now switched to a 256gb 13 pro from a 128gb and have the same issue .

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
How can we get Apple's attention to this problem ? This is really bad as I now have a worse camera on my phone than I had before (XS), and I am worried that this is a hardware issue.
Good thing is that the thread in Apple support is growing quickly: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253181534?page=1

513 People said "Me Too".
So I believe Apple has already noticed. And if it's hardware they surely knew before shipping.

And it's frustrating how many people are not noticing the issue. Below I'm posting a picture took with my XS and next to it one posted to the "Pictures taken with..." thread here on MR. On the XS everything is in focus, but look how bad it looks on the 13. Even the top on the mountain is a blurry mess. Scenes are quite similar in distance and subject.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 20.43.24.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RRC and pmac99

victorquirosb

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
It's just disgusting. Of course something WRONG is going on. I went to the Apple Store 8 days ago, they said they haven't had any other customer complaining. Its horrible how the photos are taken. I took better photos with my 3 years old Xiaomi Mi 8, how is this possible ? I feel you guys, I don't understand how there are not YouTubers mentioning this problem. At the beginning I thought it was only over sharpening, but also is blurry in different parts of the picture, its incredible.....

alicant3

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
I have just returned mine today. The same experience with the Apple Store and the premium reseller from my country. They said that they did not receive any reports about this issue until now. During the weekend I took photos with the phone to see if the problem persists and I have compared it with my 3 year old phone a Huawei P20Pro and in every occasion, except the portrait mode, the P20 Pro produced better looking photos, better white balance, better contrast, while the 13PM had mushy colors and sort of a grain overlayed. I also checked the GSMarena review especially the Photo compare tool where you can check to make an opinion for yourself. I am really sorry because otherwise the phone is awesome, especially the latest iOS. Good luck with your devices and I hope this is going to be sorted out.

NekoFever

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Just wanted to chip in on this with a similar experience.

I absolutely loved the camera on my 11 Pro but so far the 13 Pro has been a huge disappointment in comparison. It seems to try to pass off digitally zoomed/cropped photos from the wide camera when ostensibly using the zoom lens, even in conditions where the lighting isn’t remotely challenging. I can maybe understand it doing that in very dark conditions where f/2.8 is going to really struggle (though I wish it would let me make the choice myself, even then!), but this is happening often.

I was using it at the weekend to take photos of friends and family running the Great South Run. Glorious sunshine, brilliantly bright, but all my telephoto shots look like they’ve been run through a bad AI upscaler.

But going back through my library, I can find examples of wide lens shots that look extremely over processed too. Often in less than ideal lighting, but never so bad that my 11 Pro wouldn’t have got something usable out of it.

Im going to give it a couple of iOS updates to see if this is a software kink that’ll be worked out, but if not I think the 13 Pro will be going back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.