Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Portrait mode has greatly improved on the iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 16, the edges are much sharper. Shooting in portrait mode is fun again.

View attachment 2062976
Yep, they actually announced this during WWDC for the 13-series. Glad to see the improvements are noticeable. I’ll have to try it out for myself when i get the chance. Its too bad the Photonic engine couldn’t be brought to the 13 series as well but software lockout is par for the course with Apple. I guess we can’t have it all lol.

Reactions: ToddH

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Yep, they actually announced this during WWDC for the 13-series. Glad to see the improvements are noticeable. I’ll have to try it out for myself when i get the chance. Its too bad the Photonic engine couldn’t be brought to the 13 series as well but software lockout is par for the course with Apple. I guess we can’t have it all lol.
Honestly, not much has improved on the 14 Pro/Pro Max. Just look at all the reviews and YouTube reviews, there's barely any noticeable improvements in majority of the photos taken.

My biggest issue with Apple is how Smart HDR just crushes shadows and blows out the highlights (not all the time). It's just NOT consistent like the Pixel 6/6 Pro at all. I'm honestly very disappointed with the 14 Pro, I won't be upgrading.

Interested to see what Google does with the Pixel 7 Pro now.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Honestly, not much has improved on the 14 Pro/Pro Max. Just look at all the reviews and YouTube reviews, there's barely any noticeable improvements in majority of the photos taken.

My biggest issue with Apple is how Smart HDR just crushes shadows and blows out the highlights (not all the time). It's just NOT consistent like the Pixel 6/6 Pro at all. I'm honestly very disappointed with the 14 Pro, I won't be upgrading.

Pixel is just king of bugs, cannot be used in real life since any bug can screw your day

Reactions: al0kz

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013

Smart HDR definitely needs a rework and it’s annoyed me enough that any pics I take with my iPhone that I care about are taken in RAW and edited in post.

The Pixel might have a more consistent camera and ISP but like others have mentioned, your smartphone is more than just the camera and it’s these other day to day aspects that will always push me towards iPhone vs Pixels. Google may have gotten their hardware figured after all these years but their software stack needs a lot of work. The pixel 6 series has been marred with experience altering bugs that drastically affect the day to day usage and updates sometimes fix one thing, only to break something else. That’s not something you see with iOS all that often.

Say what you will about Apple’s camera chops, but they’re at least consistent lol.

Reactions: RRC

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL

Not sure I see it that way. From what I've seen, the pictures look measurably better, and more pleasing to the eye, with better detail and natural looks. Supersaf and mrwhostheboss have pretty decent comparisons. My .02.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Goodbye iPhone 13 Pro, hello 14 Pro. Liked the blue, but love the space black. Oh yeah, and the photos are more detailed and quite pleasing to the my eye. And even better in ProRaw.

Videogayme

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2022
37273100-EA83-4A7C-8A58-F65CDF600F63.jpeg
7C8E68FB-5E30-445A-9625-43C7AB2AF765.jpeg
223576F9-1685-409C-AAFB-B80C4AF4B334.jpeg
Apple has changed the camera module in my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Then they replaced the phone. Now I have a new phone with the exact same awful photos. And because I traveled into T-Mobile and received a $600 trade for my XS Max, I’m stuck with this piece of garbage camera phone until all 24 months of credit for my trade are applied. Apple…I have had an I phone some the 3. This is the last time you get money from me. I just got rid of my Apple TV too…4th or 5th one I have owned. Garbage, garbage, garbage. I wishI had my XS Max back. Much better pictures.

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
View attachment 2108300 View attachment 2108299 View attachment 2108298 Apple has changed the camera module in my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Then they replaced the phone. Now I have a new phone with the exact same awful photos. And because I traveled into T-Mobile and received a $600 trade for my XS Max, I’m stuck with this piece of garbage camera phone until all 24 months of credit for my trade are applied. Apple…I have had an I phone some the 3. This is the last time you get money from me. I just got rid of my Apple TV too…4th or 5th one I have owned. Garbage, garbage, garbage. I wishI had my XS Max back. Much better pictures.
i feel you, unacceptable, pure garbage quality.

darkheroz

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Bulgaria
View attachment 2108300 View attachment 2108299 View attachment 2108298 Apple has changed the camera module in my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Then they replaced the phone. Now I have a new phone with the exact same awful photos. And because I traveled into T-Mobile and received a $600 trade for my XS Max, I’m stuck with this piece of garbage camera phone until all 24 months of credit for my trade are applied. Apple…I have had an I phone some the 3. This is the last time you get money from me. I just got rid of my Apple TV too…4th or 5th one I have owned. Garbage, garbage, garbage. I wishI had my XS Max back. Much better pictures.
You have some technical issues with your device. This is not normal and not global problem !

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for this site. When I compare Iphone 11 Pro, 13 Pro and 14 Pro seem like iPhone 11 Pro takes best pictures if there is enough light. Maybe I'll buy iPhone 11 pro instead of 14 Pro...upgrading from iPhone X and photos are realistic.

bySvindal

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2023
Planet Earth 😜
Same issues here, started with my 13 pro max sometimes during IOS 15.X, not sure but Apple messed the processing. Photos are more compressed now, just look at the size of them (HEIF or not, too small to incorporate enough details)..Now on my 14 Plus, same horrible oil paint effect on indoor photos. Skin and hair are completely distroyed no matter if it's a normal or portrait picture. Indoor selfies are simply garbage.
Outdoor photos are ok as long as you do not crop in after, to see some details...
I agree, the HW is more than capable but their camera processing is among the worst I've seen. Samsung used to have the same problems and still has with their main camera app, but at least they now have the Expert Raw secondary camera which is not blowing the JPEGS on indoor shots, so it's a very good solution.

I am using an iphone for different reasons, but for sure the camera is no longer one of them. I can't believe this phone has such a poor camera processing.
Btw, I've tried to use Halide, same results, same bad processing.

Reactions: ctjack

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Same issues here, started with my 13 pro max sometimes during IOS 15.X, not sure but Apple messed the processing.
I am still surprised all this great reviews on camera - especially cinematic mode videos that i see on youtube and respectable people like matti hapooja claiming it is awesome. Man, can’t you see blurred forehead and edges of people’s head? Feels like when i forgot to put my glasses on but people are excited about this video mode.

Probably it is hard to impress people in the know with dslr/mirrorless with f1.8 lens bokeh. I mean iphone cinematic mode screams cheap and fake chinese phone.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I strongly disagree with the reviews of the iPhone 14 pro camera. The camera produces amazing detail and I’m impressed every time I use it. I’m not sure what the issue is with the complaints of the image quality. The only thing I can come up with is: the difference between a great photograph and a poor photo is poor technique. I know that may sound harsh to say, but I see it all the time. You have to know your camera inside and out, know its limitations and know how to use & control the camera. There isn’t a miracle camera that is going to give you a perfect photo just by clicking the shutter, you have to put some effort into it in order to have great results. Otherwise you’ll just be disappointed. The camera is a tool that has to be mastered in order to get fantastic results from it. If you don’t master it, average photos will be the result due to poor technique.

All iPhone 14 pro max images below.

4FB46F72-53CC-45F3-A3D6-961FA41CD982.jpeg

54BFA73A-1E38-4605-98FA-BF01BCA3EE57.jpeg

1A015594-2B88-4694-8886-D03870B4E5F2.png

980E8E5C-FCD8-45F5-8667-F1F1078F4AFD.jpeg

EDEC2FDA-D6BD-4654-AAE1-E00115A87F84.jpeg

D3AFB9CC-AF42-47C3-85B7-200802DCAA39.jpeg

65DFC144-DB4B-4FAB-8354-FF8A24354068.jpeg

8325F144-99A7-44A2-8B0E-DDF520F4871C.jpeg

CROPPED 600% !!!

The grain you see here isn’t from the camera, it’s a film grain simulation.

C52889BB-AC73-4A9C-A4C4-0F681EA04114.png

The camera is fantastic. It looks great to
Me.

Last edited:

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Same issues here, started with my 13 pro max sometimes during IOS 15.X, not sure but Apple messed the processing. Photos are more compressed now, just look at the size of them (HEIF or not, too small to incorporate enough details)..Now on my 14 Plus, same horrible oil paint effect on indoor photos. Skin and hair are completely distroyed no matter if it's a normal or portrait picture. Indoor selfies are simply garbage.
Outdoor photos are ok as long as you do not crop in after, to see some details...
I agree, the HW is more than capable but their camera processing is among the worst I've seen. Samsung used to have the same problems and still has with their main camera app, but at least they now have the Expert Raw secondary camera which is not blowing the JPEGS on indoor shots, so it's a very good solution.

I am using an iphone for different reasons, but for sure the camera is no longer one of them. I can't believe this phone has such a poor camera processing.
One thing to check with Halide: by default, it has “Enable Start Processing” enabled in “Capture Settings”. From what I can tell this is Apple’s processing, as when it is on I find the photos are identical to the standard iOS Photos app. Switch it off and you’ll get a less processed result.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

You shouldn’t be getting any issues with Halide when it’s in raw. Same for pro raw it’s realy the best default option you can have on a smart phone when it comes to shooting in raw. The apple processing can’t be ruined using pro raw.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You shouldn’t be getting any issues with Halide when it’s in raw. Same for pro raw it’s realy the best default option you can have on a smart phone when it comes to shooting in raw. The apple processing can’t be ruined using pro raw.
True! Jpeg files are highly compressed and heavy noise reduction is applied in low light. Shooting in RAW is truly the best option, but an option that’s not for everyone. My iPhone stays in ProRAW format. I never turn it
Off.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
True! Jpeg files are highly compressed and heavy noise reduction is applied in low light. Shooting in RAW is truly the best option, but an option that’s not for everyone. My iPhone stays in ProRAW format. I never turn it
Off.
Yeah It’s a tough one really. I think if you are big into your photography then pro raw is always the best way to go. If you really want your photos to look like you want it’s the only way. I tend to shoot one non pro raw for the faster shutter speed and a 2nd one with pro raw and edit in lightroom and compare the differences.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I get excellent photos with my 13PM. Like @ToddH I always shoot pro raw and am very happy with the results. Like @ToddH said, and is the absolute truth, you have to know how to take pictures to get excellent pictures. People expect that just pointing and shooting is going to give professional quality just because they've seen all the marketing stuff. I've been a photographer since 1977, and to me these iPhone cameras are phenomenal. Doesn't matter macro, wide angle, portrait, or telephoto. They may not be ready to replace a DSLR just yet, but take excellent photos regardless.

This is the result I get with the iPhone 13PM
Dongle.jpg
sweetgum.jpg
Eye.jpg

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG-2399.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_0964 (2).jpg
IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2382b.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg

Moon Halo.jpg
IMG_2322a.jpg

IMG_1485a.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg

Sunset 1-10-2023.jpg

Last edited:

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I get excellent photos with my 13PM. Like @ToddH I always shoot pro raw and am very happy with the results. Like @ToddH said, and is the absolute truth, you have to know how to take pictures to get excellent pictures. People expect that just pointing and shooting is going to give professional quality just because they've seen all the marketing stuff. I've been a photographer since 1977, and to me these iPhone cameras are phenomenal. Doesn't matter macro, wide angle, portrait, or telephoto. They may not be ready to replace a DSLR just yet, but take excellent photos regardless.

View attachment 2142114 View attachment 2142113 View attachment 2142112
View attachment 2142116 View attachment 2142115 View attachment 2142117
View attachment 2142118 View attachment 2142119
View attachment 2142120 View attachment 2142122
View attachment 2142124 View attachment 2142123
View attachment 2142125 View attachment 2142126
View attachment 2142127 View attachment 2142128
View attachment 2142129
Yeah! You know what you are doing! Excellent photography and technique! I’ve been a photographer since 1989. Love these iPhone cameras! Nice work bud.

Reactions: catean and bondr006

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
ToddH -

Every camera is going to have its drawbacks but the state of these new cameras found in phones is nothing short of amazing. I took one of your images and simply ran it in a low cost photo editor with a "high pass filter." Images under most circumstances will edit quite well and again, when considering the light sensor size and the algorithms used, people don't realize the bang for the buck they get.

Attachments

• iphonehighpass.jpg
    iphonehighpass.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012

Incredible bokeh. Maybe more than anyone would want.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I strongly disagree with the reviews of the iPhone 14 pro camera. The camera produces amazing detail and I’m impressed every time I use it. I’m not sure what the issue is with the complaints of the image quality. The only thing I can come up with is: the difference between a great photograph and a poor photo is poor technique. I know that may sound harsh to say, but I see it all the time. You have to know your camera inside and out, know its limitations and know how to use & control the camera. There isn’t a miracle camera that is going to give you a perfect photo just by clicking the shutter, you have to put some effort into it in order to have great results. Otherwise you’ll just be disappointed. The camera is a tool that has to be mastered in order to get fantastic results from it. If you don’t master it, average photos will be the result due to poor technique.

All iPhone 14 pro max images below.

View attachment 2141875

View attachment 2141874

View attachment 2141879

View attachment 2141877

View attachment 2141878

View attachment 2141876

View attachment 2141880

View attachment 2141881

CROPPED 600% !!!

The grain you see here isn’t from the camera, it’s a film grain simulation.

View attachment 2141882

The camera is fantastic. It looks great to
Me.

These look amazing compared to my 14 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.