Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello.

I’ve done a previous search and didn’t find any thread with this issue.

I’m having troubles getting the Reminders app to sync across my devices through iCloud, this issue is happening for months, I suspect it happens since I jumped to the new reminders app on iOS 14. If I create a reminder, it will take hours, or days, to sync with other devices. If I mark it as completed on one device, it will take forever to disappear from the other devices.

I would like to know if more people are experiencing this, and wether deleting ALL my existing and completed reminders will reset the app and help with the sincronization.

Thank you very much, this should work flawlessly, but it doesn’t.

Reactions: Jason_G

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not seeing it. Now, Notes...

What I'd try: go to iCloud.com to see if everything is there. If so, create a Reminder there and see if it pushes relatively quickly. If not speedy, and everything showing in iCloud, turn off Reminders on your other devices, pick "delete" when asked if you want to keep a local copy. Turn on Reminders one device at a time to restore. This has usually fixed things for me.

The nuclear option: turn off iCloud on all devices and turn them back on one by one.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not seeing it. Now, Notes...

What I'd try: go to iCloud.com to see if everything is there. If so, create a Reminder there and see if it pushes relatively quickly. If not speedy, and everything showing in iCloud, turn off Reminders on your other devices, pick "delete" when asked if you want to keep a local copy. Turn on Reminders one device at a time to restore. This has usually fixed things for me.

The nuclear option: turn off iCloud on all devices and turn them back on one by one.
Thank you.

Could it be an issue on one region? I mean, this happens as well to a friend of mine, here in Spain. However, most of the people here on MacRumors are from other countries, and they apparently don’t have issues with Reminders App... maybe it’s something related to a local iCloud server? I don’t know.

I will try what you said, anyways.

bumpylumpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
I don't have a verified solution for you, but I can confirm that this has happened to me a few times, but most notably upon upgrading to iOS 14.

From my perspective, what I noticed most was that the Reminders syncing tended to get "stuck" when moving a large number of reminders and lists. I have a network monitor running and I noticed that my ipad, mac and phone would sit idly and not update for what seemed like forever.

In the end, I finally got all of out working. I'm not sure what was the final deciding action that kicked it all off, but here's the last steps:

1. I took a full time machine backup of my Mac so I had a local copy of all my reminders.
2. I made sure all 3 devices were on the then latest version of iOS 14.
3. I signed out of iCloud on all 3 devices.
4. I signed back in to iCloud on all 3 devices. At this point, 2 out of my 20 Reminders lists showed up, but were only partially restored with my items. I *deleted* all of the lists on one device (I forgot which one) and waited until that deletion propagated to the other devices. This took well over an hour. As soon as it appeared I could create a single list and a single item would move to another device, I assumed any "backlog" of syncing was done.
5. I restored my Reminders on my Mac.
6. I waited for what I think was well over 14 hours for them to all show up on the other devices.

It was late, I went to sleep, and the Reminders on the iPad and iPhone finally showed up in the morning. I think I checked partway through and noticed some of the lists and items were present, but it seemed to stall out periodically. I think Apple has some rate-limiting that only allows a certain number of items to sync per Apple ID per hour or such.

By the way, I had to do something similar with my Calendar items too. Good luck!

Reactions: BatCat and Populus

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
There could be something region related, but might be tough to track down. First place to check is Apple's service status page (https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/) but if no services showing issues, not sure how much help you'd get from Apple if you contact support, eg. might be something mis-configured in a local data center and unless many people in the region are calling, might not be high priority because...

Might be something with your local network, cell service provider. That might be something else to look into: are you seeing this on cellular, wifi, both? And if so, a super nuclear option would be to back-up the phone, reset to factory settings, turn on iCloud reminders and see if things working better. If so, can maybe try to restore the backup, but might bring back whatever app/service/configuration file was causing the initial problem.

A less nuclear option would be to just reset network settings and see if things improve.

Talarian

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
Connecticut, United States
Thank you.

Could it be an issue on one region? I mean, this happens as well to a friend of mine, here in Spain. However, most of the people here on MacRumors are from other countries, and they apparently don’t have issues with Reminders App... maybe it’s something related to a local iCloud server? I don’t know.

I will try what you said, anyways.
I can confirm that the problem is NOT limited to Spain. I'm in the U.S. and have had this iCloud syncing problem with Reminders (and only with Reminders) for a couple of years now. I actually had to abandon the app and move to a different one, as there appears to be no universal solution. There is a much longer thread detailing the issue here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-to-from-icloud-other-devices.2223179/page-6.

Jason_G

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
London, UK
Hello.

I’ve done a previous search and didn’t find any thread with this issue.

I’m having troubles getting the Reminders app to sync across my devices through iCloud, this issue is happening for months, I suspect it happens since I jumped to the new reminders app on iOS 14. If I create a reminder, it will take hours, or days, to sync with other devices. If I mark it as completed on one device, it will take forever to disappear from the other devices.

I would like to know if more people are experiencing this, and wether deleting ALL my existing and completed reminders will reset the app and help with the sincronization.

Thank you very much, this should work flawlessly, but it doesn’t.
I gave up with my experience of this issue, plenty of info here but no solutions unfortunately, happy reading! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.