Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyfrnk1624

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I've done a few searches and have yet to find an answer or solution for this year. Within the messages app on my iPhone 6 Plus, it shows the contacts image in a bubble. Is there anyway to remove/disable these? It's been driving me crazy. I've been able to turn of "Contact Photos in Favorites" from the Settings -> Phone menu, but it doesn't remove them from Messages.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
As of right now there is no way to remove these. Though it really has encouraged me to assign avatars for the majority of my contacts to rid the default initials.

sterbp

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
Has this been fixed yet?

On my phone the contact images are blinking repeatedly in the messages app. Any way to disable them yet?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
What's really strange is I don't remember seeing these "initial bubbles" until I recently (3 days ago) upgraded from a 6 to a 6+. Yes, both devices were on 8.4. Is it just my Alzheimer's kicking in? Is it only on the 6+ ? More than likely I probably just filtered them out of my mind. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's really strange is I don't remember seeing these "initial bubbles" until I recently (3 days ago) upgraded from a 6 to a 6+. Yes, both devices were on 8.4. Is it just my Alzheimer's kicking in? Is it only on the 6+ ? More than likely I probably just filtered them out of my mind. :)
Only on 6 Plus (until iOS 9 which will bring it to the 6 as well).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
LOL, thanks. Hope it has an "off" switch on IOS9.

There is no off switch. Why is it even an issue? You only "see" them in the list that shows all your conversations and not within the conversations themselves.

I personally like it to see the contact image along nicely side their name in the conversation list. Looks nicer overall imo.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no off switch. Why is it even an issue? You only "see" them in the list that shows all your conversations and not within the conversations themselves.

I personally like it to see the contact image along nicely side their name in the conversation list. Looks nicer overall imo.
When it doesn't add anything to someone why might they not want to disable that? Seems like a fairly straightforward thing to offer an option for that.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When it doesn't add anything to someone why might they not want to disable that? Seems like a fairly straightforward thing to offer an option for that.

True, if you don't have an image set to a contact it can look a bit ugly with the stock grey circle and letters. But honestly it's not hard to get images these days to set to someone.

Also if Apple added an option or toggle for every little thing everyone wanted, every single menu and sub menu would be 10 miles long. (Options aren't always a good thing)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True, if you don't have an image set to a contact it can look a bit ugly with the stock grey circle and letters. But honestly it's not hard to get images these days to set to someone.

Also if Apple added an option or toggle for every little thing everyone wanted, every single menu and sub menu would be 10 miles long. (Options aren't always a good thing)
Not everyone cares for or wants photos for contacts. They already have a longstanding option for these photo thumbnails when it comes to Favorites in the Phone app, so this wouldn't even be a new option really.

They can certainly organize the settings section some more or put some things in some "advanced" section if needed. Better to have the option than not to, in spite of the whole "lowest common denominator" approach, which is unfortunate for the rest of us.

Reactions: RetiredInFl

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not everyone cares for or wants photos for contacts. They already have a longstanding option for these photo thumbnails when it comes to Favorites in the Phone app, so this wouldn't even be a new option really.

They can certainly organize the settings section some more or put some things in some "advanced" section if needed. Better to have the option than not to, in spite of the whole "lowest common denominator" approach, which is unfortunate for the rest of us.

I don't see how an option in the phone app would count as not a new option in messages. They are different apps. Besides I don't even see this mysterious already existing option for favourites in the phone app you talk about anyways.

Again though how is it even an issue? How long do people spend looking at the conversation list. Usually you're either in a conversation (thus not seeing the contact image bubbles) or not even in the messages app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't see how an option in the phone app would count as not a new option in messages. They are different apps. Besides I don't even see this mysterious already existing option for favourites in the phone app you talk about anyways.

Again though how is it even an issue? How long do people spend looking at the conversation list. Usually you're either in a conversation (thus not seeing the contact image bubbles) or not even in the messages app.
It's a preference. Some might not care about it, others might, doesn't really make it an issue per se, but doesn't mean it's nothing just because some don't care.

Seems like the option might not be in iOS 9 betas, but it was there for a few iOS versions: http://technownews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/contact-photos-for-favorites-iMore.jpg Making that option also apply to messages or creating a very much similar one for messages wouldn't be a stretch at all given already set precedent of having such an option for favorites. And now it seems they are removing existing options too, which is even worse.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's a preference. Some might not care about it, others might, doesn't really make it an issue per se, but doesn't mean it's nothing just because some don't care.

I don't know if the option for favorites might have been removed in iOS 9 perhaps (haven't gone though all the options), but it was there for a few iOS versions. Making that option also apply to messages or creating a very much similar one for messages wouldn't be a stretch at all given already set precedent of having such an option for favorites.

It might have been in iOS 8 when favourites was a thing. But iOS 9 favourites is almost completely gone. (You can still set favourites when editing a contact and show in the favourites tab in phone app, but that's all that's left of it)

Instead of an option and making any option lists longer. I guess they could just have it default to nothing if no image is set (getting rid of the stock blank letter or silhouette icon all together) and if an image is set show that.

People could send "feature enhancement" feedback through the feedback app. But Apple doesn't exactly listen to UI adjustment feedback often. It's their product and want it looking a specific way so that it is instantly recognizable as iOS (too many UI options could ruin that for them.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It might have been in iOS 8 when favourites was a thing. But iOS 9 favourites is almost completely gone. (You can still set favourites when editing a contact and show in the favourites tab in phone app, but that's all that's left of it)

Instead of an option and making any option lists longer. I guess they could just have it default to nothing if no image is set (getting rid of the stock blank letter or silhouette icon all together) and if an image is set show that.

People could send "feature enhancement" feedback through the feedback app. But Apple doesn't exactly listen to UI adjustment feedback often. It's their product and want it looking a specific way so that it is instantly recognizable as iOS (too many UI options could ruin that for them.)
That's what the option was always for, the favorites in the phone app as I mentioned before, which have been there for quite a few iOS versions. An existing option for something that was expanded to be now used in Messages and instead of bringing out that option to be a more general one so that it would apply to the phone app and messages app or having a similar option for the messages app they just took away the existing one on top of it all.

Sending feedback to Apple is certainly an option. Asking about it and talking about it (even if ultimately just complaining about it) in a place like this is another additional option.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's what the option was always for, the favorites in the phone app as I mentioned before, which have been there for quite a few iOS versions. An existing option for something that was expanded to be now used in Messages and instead of bringing out that option to be a more general one so that it would apply to the phone app and messages app or having a similar option for the messages app they just took away the existing one on top of it all.

Sending feedback to Apple is certainly an option. Asking about it and talking about it (even if ultimately just complaining about it) in a place like this is another additional option.

If such an option was in previous iOS's for the favourites tab in phone app, I bet the vast majority never even knew it existed. And probably why it got pruned out of iOS 9. So really it's not an already existing option that can get expanded to messages, because it no longer exists.

Anyways, this will just go back and forth endlessly no matter what's said.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If such an option was in previous iOS's for the favourites tab in phone app, I bet the vast majority never even knew it existed. And probably why it got pruned out of iOS 9. So really it's not an already existing option that can get expanded to messages, because it no longer exists.

Anyways, this will just go back and forth endlessly no matter what's said.
Of course it's an existing option that can be expanded, it's there in iOS 8 which is still the latest public version. I don't think any conclusions one way or another can be drawn about it--perhaps theories but nothing to indicate what is more or less likely. The end result is that instead of making that option apply to other areas where they expanded the use of the photo thumbnails they apparently will be completely taking it away, and less choices for consumers isn't really a better thing (again, at least for those beyind the lowest common denominator, as much of those that might be there).

But, sure, not much can be done about it unfortunately as Apple can certainly do what they want, as they generally do.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Of course it's an existing option that can be expanded, it's there in iOS 8 which is still the latest public version. I don't think any conclusions one way or another can be drawn about it--perhaps theories but nothing to indicate what is more or less likely. The end result is that instead of making that option apply to other areas where they expanded the use of the photo thumbnails they apparently will be completely taking it away, and less choices for consumers isn't really a better thing (again, at least for those beyind the lowest common denominator, as much of those that might be there).

But, sure, not much can be done about it unfortunately as Apple can certainly do what they want, as they generally do.

Won't be an existing option for long. iOS 8 is getting replaced by iOS 9 in roughly one and a half months and "essentially" no longer supported since all iOS 8 devices can go to iOS 9. No dropped devices from the new iOS means they don't have to keep iOS 8 available to any device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Won't be an existing option for long. iOS 8 is getting replaced by iOS 9 in roughly one and a half months and "essentially" no longer supported since all iOS 8 devices can go to iOS 9.
Right, thus the unfortunate part of not only not gaining controls over something, but even losing already existing controls over that very thing on a slightly different screen.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Right, thus the unfortunate part of not only not having controls over something, but even losing already existing controls over that very thing on a slightly different screen.

A screen maybe 1% even use. (Favourites tab in phone app) because favourites are usually more easily accessed elsewhere.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A screen maybe 1% even use. (Favourites tab in phone app) because favourites are usually more easily accessed elsewhere.
Fairly certain that's the main place where those get used given that they were there from many iOS versions ago and no other place for favorites really existed until recently when they became available as an option in the app switcher (and will be removed from there in iOS 9).

The usefulness for some or non use by others doesn't change the fact that an existing option will be taken providing less control (instead of gaining slightly more control over the same functionality on a slightly different screen).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Fairly certain that's the main place where those get used given that they were there from many iOS versions ago and no other place for favorites really existed until recently when they became available as an option in the app switcher (and will be removed from there in iOS 9).

No, it's not the main place because there are easier ways NOW since iOS 8. iOS 7 and below are irrelevant. You're just bringing up old ways of doing things from 2+ years ago just to back your side.

I'm sure Apples reasons for removing it in iOS 9 is because no one uses it. So why have it use up menu space for something no one uses. Menus filled with options just for the sake of it being there is bad and does nothing but bloat menus.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, it's not the main place because there are easier ways NOW since iOS 8. iOS 7 and below are irrelevant. You're just bringing up old ways of doing things from 2+ years ago just to back your side.

I'm sure Apples reasons for removing it in iOS 9 is because no one uses it. So why have it use up menu space for something no one uses. Menus filled with options just for the sake of it being there is bad and does nothing but bloat menus.
Given that old ways have been there for a long time and many typical users don't even know about the app switcher or don't really use it, it can easily be argued that the new way that is in a somewhat odd location is the one that hasn't been getting used much at all and is being removed completely after just a short time while the old way that has been there for years is still there even in iOS 9.

That said, seems like this is all being made unnecessarily dense when it ultimately comes down to something simple: not having a simple control over something that was expanded to apply to an additional screen, and on top it losing control over that very thing in a different location. Whatever the reasons might be for it (and none of us will realistically ever really know), the end result is less control. At best it's simply neutral/inconsequential to those that don't care about that apart of it, while it's a negative (even if just a small one for the most part) for those that do care. Bloated menus aren't really an issue, as there are plenty of options most people don't use in many menus and things work just fine and have been for years--those that wish to use those options use them and those that don't simply don't. That's basically it.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

It's not an teriible "ISSUE." I can live with it. I just find it annoying, it takes up screen space, have no desire to add (or see) pictures of everyone I communicate with in business and just don't like it. Just as you "personally like it" I "personally DON'T!" Just like I don't seeing your Avatar on every message. I can live with it, but don't care for it (nothing personal, I don't like any avatars anywhere. I'm from the old school - back in the CompuServe days before Al Gore invented the Internet).

You know what "they" say about opinions. :D We all have them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.