Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JennyBinKC

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Kansas City
I've done a few searches and have yet to find an answer or solution for this year. Within the messages app on my iPhone 6 Plus, it shows the contacts image in a bubble. Is there anyway to remove/disable these? It's been driving me crazy. I've been able to turn of "Contact Photos in Favorites" from the Settings -> Phone menu, but it doesn't remove them from Messages.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JennyBinKC

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Kansas City
I don't have those little pictures...I helped a friend here at work and she said her Facebook contacts were linked and got rid of the pictures...hope it helps!

Roland.bryce

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Dubai
If such an option was in previous iOS's for the favourites tab in phone app, I bet the vast majority never even knew it existed. And probably why it got pruned out of iOS 9. So really it's not an already existing option that can get expanded to messages, because it no longer exists.

Anyways, this will just go back and forth endlessly no matter what's said.

Roland.bryce

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Dubai
It is all about familiarity : who says that the older graphic interface needed updating : too often change is forced : cool if you like it not cool if you are happy with the classic look.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is all about familiarity : who says that the older graphic interface needed updating : too often change is forced : cool if you like it not cool if you are happy with the classic look.
Well, at least as of iOS 9.1 you can select what you want now.

Kat1138

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
True, if you don't have an image set to a contact it can look a bit ugly with the stock grey circle and letters. But honestly it's not hard to get images these days to set to someone.

Also if Apple added an option or toggle for every little thing everyone wanted, every single menu and sub menu would be 10 miles long. (Options aren't always a good thing)
[doublepost=1479301957][/doublepost]Believe it or not, there are many of us who do not choose to have a picture for every contact. Why would I need a picture of my insurance agent, doctors, and business contacts? I am not illiterate, so I do not need pictorials to locate contacts. Instead I have an unsightly bubble, looking very unprofessional, while my contact's name is shrunk to barely legible.
This was a feature released with updates, so it is entirely reasonable to want an option to deactivate it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1479301957][/doublepost]
Believe it or not, there are many of us who do not choose to have a picture for every contact. Why would I need a picture of my insurance agent, doctors, and business contacts? I am not illiterate, so I do not need pictorials to locate contacts. Instead I have an unsightly bubble, looking very unprofessional, while my contact's name is shrunk to barely legible.
This was a feature released with updates, so it is entirely reasonable to want an option to deactivate it.
Seems like this was already addressed some time ago.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I only had this appear this morning, when my phone decided to "update" (downgrade) overnight. Apparently there is still no fix for it.
There is as mentioned earlier in the thread. There's a setting for contact photos in Settings > Messages.

Kat1138

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
There is as mentioned earlier in the thread. There's a setting for contact photos in Settings > Messages.
Just checked, and no, there is no option listed in Settings > Messages to remove these from the text window. I also do not see anywhere stating there is for texts in this thread.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just checked, and no, there is no option listed in Settings > Messages to remove these from the text window. I also do not see anywhere stating there is for texts in this thread.
The option was introduced in iOS 9.1. What iOS version are you running (and on what device)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 10.1.1 on an iPhone 6s
And you are saying you don't have the following "Show Contact Photos" setting at Settings > Messages?

steps-to-contact-photos-from-messages-on-iphone-6-plus-jpg.610758

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No I do not. There is no option between iMessage and Text Message Forwarding on my phone.
Not sure what that might be about, given that the option of that is definitely there in iOS these days. Seems like the issue isn't really with Apple/iOS not offering the option, but more about there potentially being some sort of an issue or a glitch with your device/setup perhaps. You might want to try disabling/re-enabling iMessage, in case that might play some role, or even resetting all settings to see if that would do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.