Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2022
Running iOS 16.0.2 on iPhone 14 Pro Max (512G).

When I open an application (random) and use it for a while, there will be a lag when I swipe up and close it. If I immediately reopen the same application and close it, the same problem will not occur. This doesn't happen every time, but from time to time.

Restarting the phone fixed the issue briefly, but it would come back after one day.

Cylu7878

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2022
On mine XR, never had any lag issues (swipe up) on iOS 12 and 13. I've been disappointed with Apple's system optimization since upgrading to iOS 15. But I feel a glimmer of light in iOS16. Hopefully Apple will continue to work on this.

My next phone will prefer the SE 2022 with physical home button. When I press the home button back to the desktop, this discontinuous action makes me not pay attention to the problem of animation lagging.

Reactions: JM

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
This has been an issue in virtually all devices for 2 years….apple isn’t gonna fix it. Sometimes it’s smooth as butter. Other times there’s a weird lag/delay. This broke in iOS 14. When iPhone X, XR, XS were new everything was SMOOOTH. In fact XR was the smoothest device on iOS 12 I ever used
That sounds about right. On iOS 14 it was a very rare occurrence on my XS, it was mostly smooth. It happens a lot more often on iOS 15 and 16. I wish Apple would pay more attention to stuff like this as it does detract from the experience and feel even if it's mostly visual. Safari is pretty bad in this department as well.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Generally speaking, most machines work best when used according to design. Force quitting apps can be useful if an app crashes and becomes unresponsive, but otherwise it is not the way iOS is intended to be used. It's not necessary and actually wastes battery.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I've got the same issue with my 14PM. Wasn't an issue on my previous phone, the 13PM.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Generally speaking, most machines work best when used according to design. Force quitting apps can be useful if an app crashes and becomes unresponsive, but otherwise it is not the way iOS is intended to be used. It's not necessary and actually wastes battery.

I believe we're just talking about exiting an app normally by swiping up on the home bar. I don't see this happen in the app switcher.

ggab

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Yep! I think it started with 16.0.2. Didn’t happen on my 13PM but is happening on my 14PM. Still happening on 16.1 Beta 3.

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2022
Yep! I think it started with 16.0.2. Didn’t happen on my 13PM but is happening on my 14PM. Still happening on 16.1 Beta 3.
True, I don't have this issue on my iphone 14 Pro max on iSO 16.0.1. Hope Apple can fix it on 16.1.

Last edited:

sameer0924

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
An user posted this problem on reddit:
Yes, I have the exact same issue. It showed up when I upgraded to iOS 16 on my 13PM and it’s also there on my 14PM. I tried 16.1b3 on 14PM but that didn’t fix it. Same stutter. I reinstalled 16.0.2 and started fresh on 14PM. It was better for a couple of days but I started to see the problem again since yesterday. This is disappointing. Not sure what else I can do.
Also, I never had this issue with 13PM prior to iOS 16. It was smooth since the day I purchased that phone.

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2022
I have tried on 11 pro Max, 13 pro and 14 pro Max (same ios, same applications), this problem only occurs on 14 pro max...

Reactions: TimFL1

Domadia_Jasmine

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2017
If we observe iOS every year, new release get refine & smooth by March or April, till than one or another bugs will be present

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
This has been an issue in virtually all devices for 2 years….apple isn’t gonna fix it. Sometimes it’s smooth as butter. Other times there’s a weird lag/delay. This broke in iOS 14. When iPhone X, XR, XS were new everything was SMOOOTH. In fact XR was the smoothest device on iOS 12 I ever used
I‘ve had all flagship iPhones over the last years and this is the first one where it‘s happening 24/7. The others had it maybe once a day or week, the 14PM I have has it for literally every App I open for the first time after roughly 30 mins of not using that app. It‘s definitely not normal and not like the other occurrences from previous years. My SOs 11P doesn‘t have the issue (also 16.0.2), meanwhile every other 14P/PM owner I know mentioned having the same hiccups all day.

I‘m kind of surprised this issue hasn‘t gotten more media attention, it seems to be very widespread and an ugly „in your face“ issue even tech illiterate people should notice.

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2022
Perhaps I found a solution to this problem.

Actually, I found that changing the iPhone system language (ios 16.0.2) can help, I've been using it for one day and haven't met lagging problem again.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Thought it was just me going through this or if I was going crazy. It hasn’t just been the swipe up to home. I’ve noticed even when using other parts of the OS like the App Library or even Spotlight, animations stutter a bit. In those cases, the keyboard would take a while to show up. Even going through menus in Settings or the Watch app it sometimes struggles to go back to the previous screen. Noticed this occassionally on my 13 Pro Max, but definitely more apparent on the 14 Pro Max. Most likely a software issue, but doesn’t seem like (based on other comments) 16.1 will fix it.

bc 08

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2020
My 14 PM restarted on its own (for the first time) while on the charger this morning.

I had to enter the passcode when I woke up and found missing info on the charging history:

A5B238B6-1373-4D16-8C21-4F23058E67A0.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.