Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnykanzen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Iphone 6 - rest finger to open/unlock isn't working.

I click home button to activate screen but then won't unlock when resting finger.

touch ID working and double tapping the home button whilst in an app (without clicking) also working....

any ideas?

jonnykanzen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
when i rest my finger having already activated the screen, it then says "press home button to open" at the bottom

Last edited:
Reactions: scapegoat81

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
when i rest my finger having already activated the screen, it then says "press home button to open" at the bottom
The message is just a static one, don't worry about it. Resting the finger should unlock it. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Reactions: BlueAquarian

Mandalauramarie

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
The message is just a static one, don't worry about it. Resting the finger should unlock it. Not sure why it's not working for you.

I was having the same issue, but I have solved it. Not only do you need to switch on "rest finger to open" you must also go into Touch ID and Passwords on you main settings page and switch on "iPhone unlock"

Hope this helps!

Reactions: MartyCan

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was having the same issue, but I have solved it. Not only do you need to switch on "rest finger to open" you must also go into Touch ID and Passwords on you main settings page and switch on "iPhone unlock"

Hope this helps!
Yes, TouchID needs to be used for unlocking purposes for that to apply.

jonnykanzen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, TouchID needs to be used for unlocking purposes for that to apply.

I disagree. With Touch ID activated, the phone will unlock, even when "rest finger to open" is not enabled....

The whole point of "rest finger to open" is that you can easily unlock the phone without clicking the home button - this should not be restricted to unlocking your phone with your finger print

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I disagree. With Touch ID activated, the phone will unlock, even when "rest finger to open" is not enabled....

The whole point of "rest finger to open" is that you can easily unlock the phone without clicking the home button - this should not be restricted to unlocking your phone with your finger print
I meant that the other way around in response to that post--that TouchID needs to be used for unlocking purposes in order for "rest finger to open" to apply in relation to unlocking the device.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Any updates to this?

I still can't get touch to open to work on my 7. I've updated to 10.0.01 thinking that would do the trick.

aleagle

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
This worked for me.

I have the same problem - with an interesting twist! I have activated "rest finger to open" in settings/general/accessibility/home button, AND I have activated settings/touch id and passcode/unlock iPhone. The strange thing is that "resting my finger" DOES works fine when purchasing from iTunes or opening an app that requires touch id, BUT it still does NOT work to unlock my iPhone 6s. I still need to press the home button??? TIA

tgm6050

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah, I have to same problem. It doesn't work.

Just updated 2 6plus iPhones this morning and the Rest Finger option does NOT work at all!
I can set and use the Touch ID and that works just fine.
I have rebooted, restarted etc to no avail. Just frustrating that they eliminate the slide to open rather than leave it as an option if a new feature does not work flawlessly.
Tom in PA

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Just updated 2 6plus iPhones this morning and the Rest Finger option does NOT work at all!
I can set and use the Touch ID and that works just fine.
I have rebooted, restarted etc to no avail. Just frustrating that they eliminate the slide to open rather than leave it as an option if a new feature does not work flawlessly.
Tom in PA

As a last resort you may want to reset the fingerprints in the phone's memory just to see if that wakes it back up. Only takes a few minutes to re-enter your fingerprints, worth a try.

BJ

tgm6050

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
As a last resort you may want to reset the fingerprints in the phone's memory just to see if that wakes it back up. Only takes a few minutes to re-enter your fingerprints, worth a try.

BJ
I'll try that but I'm not using TouchID. I did it to make sure the home button would recognize a finger applied to it.
Worth giving a shot.
Thanks
Tom in PA
[doublepost=1474241464][/doublepost]
I'll try that but I'm not using TouchID. I did it to make sure the home button would recognize a finger applied to it.
Worth giving a shot.
Thanks
Tom in PA
BJ,
Now it gets even more interesting. I reset my TouchID fingerprint and set the
Worth giving a shot.
Thanks
Tom in PA
[doublepost=1474241778][/doublepost]
Worth giving a shot.
Thanks
Tom in PA
BJ,

BJ,
The interesting part is that TouchID will only work with the Rest Finger option toggled ON! As soon as I toggle the RF option OFF, the TouchID to unlock quits working altogether. I've checked this three times and the above is correct. If I have RF option ON, the TouchID works as designed. Now the plot get thicker on why things won't work.
Hope this helps.
Tom in PA

tgm6050

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
Worth giving a shot.
Thanks
Tom in PA
BJ,

[doublepost=1474241778][/doublepost]

BJ,
The interesting part is that TouchID will only work with the Rest Finger option toggled ON! As soon as I toggle the RF option OFF, the TouchID to unlock quits working altogether. I've checked this three times and the above is correct. If I have RF option ON, the TouchID works as designed. Now the plot get thicker on why things won't work.
Hope this helps.
Tom in PA

Well, just updated to the latest software and you guessed it, the Rest Finger option still does not work. Great idea that just can't seem to get going. This double button pushing is getting old even after a few weeks. Any other thing than gaining entry I could get by without.
Anyone else having issues? I have it on both phones again so it it isolated to a phone hardware issue.
Thanks guys.

Tom in GA.

Bcerissa

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2016
Well, just updated to the latest software and you guessed it, the Rest Finger option still does not work. Great idea that just can't seem to get going. This double button pushing is getting old even after a few weeks. Any other thing than gaining entry I could get by without.
Anyone else having issues? I have it on both phones again so it it isolated to a phone hardware issue.
Thanks guys.

Tom in GA.
[doublepost=1476039313][/doublepost]Im having this same problem but for some reason when i turn on raise to wake the resting a finger suddenly works

randa11

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
Iphone 6 - rest finger to open/unlock isn't working.

I click home button to activate screen but then won't unlock when resting finger.

touch ID working and double tapping the home button whilst in an app (without clicking) also working....

any ideas?
The iPhone has to be "awakened" for this to work. Go to "Raise to Wake" (Settings > Display & Brightness) to toggle on. When you lift your phone, the display will come on. You will then be able to use Touch ID to unlock your phone. Hope this helps!
[doublepost=1476879846][/doublepost]
Thanks guys.

Tom in GA.
[doublepost=1476879876][/doublepost]The iPhone has to be "awakened" for this to work. Go to "Raise to Wake" (Settings > Display & Brightness) to toggle on. When you lift your phone, the display will come on. You will then be able to use Touch ID to unlock your phone. Hope this helps!

Reactions: MrMar

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
The iPhone has to be "awakened" for this to work. Go to "Raise to Wake" (Settings > Display & Brightness) to toggle on. When you lift your phone, the display will come on. You will then be able to use Touch ID to unlock your phone. Hope this helps!
[doublepost=1476879846][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1476879876][/doublepost]The iPhone has to be "awakened" for this to work. Go to "Raise to Wake" (Settings > Display & Brightness) to toggle on. When you lift your phone, the display will come on. You will then be able to use Touch ID to unlock your phone. Hope this helps!

Raise to Wake doesn't work on iPhone 6

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I am also having this problem on my 6s running 10.1.
With Rest Finger to Open toggled on, I find my phone keeps giving me a Try Again on the lock screen AFTER the screen comes on from Raise to Wake. I thought it was a software glitch so I Restored it last night & I'm still having the same problem. I'm hoping it's a bug within 10.1.
After some trial & error, I find that pressing the home button with letting it read my print works instead of just resting my finger. Hoping they fix this in the next update cuz I'm very close to making a Genius appt

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
In order for it to work you must go into " Display & brightness" and enable "raise to wake"

That is not true. I use "Rest Finger" with "Raise to Wake" Turned off. My iPad Air 2 doesn't even have "Raise to Wake" and "Rest Finger" works without a problem. Only the iPhone SE, 6s/+, 7/+ have "Raise to Wake". So that means if what you were saying is true, it would not work on any iPad or any iPhone under the 6s/+.

smelser1123

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
That is not true. I use "Rest Finger" with "Raise to Wake" Turned off. My iPad Air 2 doesn't even have "Raise to Wake" and "Rest Finger" works without a problem. Only the iPhone SE, 6s/+, 7/+ have "Raise to Wake". So that means if what you were saying is true, it would not work on any iPad or any iPhone under the 6s/+.

And that's exactly what I have is a 7+ and that's what I was referring to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.