Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I can tell you exactly how rest finger to open works on my old 5s which doesnt have raise to wake.

If the screen is off I have to physically press the home button once then I leave my finger resting on top of the button as the screen turns on and it then unlocks the phone.
So to recap .. I press in the home button once and leave my finger on top of the button while the screen comes on and then it takes a second for it to unlock.

Cheers

cla321

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
Iphone 6 - rest finger to open/unlock isn't working.

I click home button to activate screen but then won't unlock when resting finger.

touch ID working and double tapping the home button whilst in an app (without clicking) also working....

any ideas?

After spending many hours trying to solve this problem I finally have the answer. In addition to activating 'rest finger to open', you must also activate 'iPhone Unlock' AND set 'require password' to 'immediately' under the Touch ID and Passcode settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After spending many hours trying to solve this problem I finally have the answer. In addition to activating 'rest finger to open', you must also activate 'iPhone Unlock' AND set 'require password' to 'immediately' under the Touch ID and Passcode settings.
The immediately setting is the only one that's available and gets set automatically when TouchID is used for unlocking. And, yes, for rest finger to open to work TouchID should be used for unlocking purposes, otherwise it's not used there at all and leaving the finger or not leaving the finger won't do anything as TouchID wouldn't be involved in the unlock process at all.

Karen Unson Fudge

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
I finally got mine to work but the only way it would work is if i raise my phone up to wake first and put my finger on the home button (without pressing obviously). But if i don’t physically raise it to wake it up it doesn’t work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.