Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snewbanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
When it comes to video/audio editing and drawing apps. I agree.

But for damn near everything else, the Tab series is my go to.

I will give the iPad Pro another point cause of Apple Pay. I usually shop online with Safari just so I can use Apple Pay.
I agree with this whole heartedly. For video/audio/picture editing the Pro wins hands down.

But damn does the S9 Ultra beat the iPad Pro in everything else. I will just do all of my editing on my Mac.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Snewbanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Weird that you don’t mention a really obvious downside… the notch in landscape makes it really difficult to use in portrait. On a phone this might be acceptable (it’s commonly used in landscape for single purposes like games or videos). But on a tablet, that most people will use half of the time or more on portrait, it doesn’t make any sense.
I've been using the S9 Ultra since Tuesday. You don't even notice the notch after a day.

richarddib

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
As we come up to iPhone 15 time I am thinking about it but it is a significant investment. I’d keep the Mac but to replace the iPhone with S23U and the IPad with the S9U would be circa £2500. The last time I did it (Note 10+) I lasted about 6 months

Just because Apple could doesn’t mean they should.

I grow increasingly convinced that people’s idea of “innovation” simply consists of mindlessly parroting spec lists from elsewhere, with no consideration of whether it even makes sense for Apple to do this, or the implications on the

iPhone user since 4s and iPad user for many years (mini for pilot) and Pro 12.9 for daily use.
I preordered the S9 Ultra to try it out for ***** and gigs. I AM BLOWN AWAY at the S9 Ultra. For what I use the iPad/Tablet for on a daily basis the s9 Ultra is by far the superior tablet. The screen is absolutely stunning, the s-pen actually writes well, the multi-tasking is actually really nice, the Dex (I did not think I would use Dec), but damn its actually a nice feature to have. I purchased a small foldable keyboard with small stand to pair with theSs9 Ultra and with Dex it's much better than the 12.9 Pro.

The only negative so far is the seamless transition from iPhone, to iPad, and my Mac. It's not as convenient, but I am sure I will get over it eventually as I plan on trading in my 12.9 Pro for the S9 Ultra. Also I am most likely trading in my 13 Pro Max for the S24 Ultra early 2024.

(EDIT: Also no 5G support for the S9 Ultra which sucks, but I guess I will use my phone hotspot or by a used Verizon hotspot since I am already paying for the line.)

The only Apple device will be my Mac and I'm not leaving that anytime soon.
Yes. Not having 5G on the Samsung tablet does suck. It is available in Korean versions of the tablet but they are not compatible with US carriers

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yes. Not having 5G on the Samsung tablet does suck. It is available in Korean versions of the tablet but they are not compatible with US carriers
Available in UK as well.

does seem it's a US problem.

for me I think if you have a Samsung phone getting the ultra makes most sense. it's better than the iPad in size, display, multitasking but it all comes down to how important apps are and how your iPad fits with your current work flow. for me I use my 12.9 daily with sidecar and universal control with my macs. it's why ecosystems matter a lot when deciding which tablet to buy.

ilyabm

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
it's not a fair comparison. A fair one would compare S8+ or s9+ (not Ultra) with iPad Pro.
I love iPads - but for most people, they are freakingly expensive.
Whereas you can get a 5G-enabled 8GB/128GB 12.4" Tab S8+ from T-mobile for $500 - 2.5x less than 12.9" iPadPro.
It's mich less powerful - if you are playing Diablo Immortal or editing videos :)
but otherwise a gorgeous screen and a perfectly capable tablet for everything else.

villagehiker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
What do you think of the Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra? Let us know in the comments below.
Never used one, so no idea. But, when something goes wrong, where do you find support for a Samsung tablet? Despite some isolated goof-ups, Apple support sets a pretty high standard for others to follow. No misunderstaning, please. Samsung is a good company. Its eternal SSDs provide exceptional value and durability. But providing service for an tablet requires deep commitment, innate talent, developed skills—all in international cultures. Also, there is the negative of Android and Google. Not interested. Just my opinion.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
It’s all about the software really. I love my iPad Pro but latgely because it’s got perfect software for my needs, much of which is iPad exclusive. Android tablets become useless as a result.

Snewbanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Never used one, so no idea. But, when something goes wrong, where do you find support for a Samsung tablet? Despite some isolated goof-ups, Apple support sets a pretty high standard for others to follow. No misunderstaning, please. Samsung is a good company. Its eternal SSDs provide exceptional value and durability. But providing service for an tablet requires deep commitment, innate talent, developed skills—all in international cultures. Also, there is the negative of Android and Google. Not interested. Just my opinion.

How often do you have something go wrong with your Apple device? I've used Apple devices since the 4s and have never had to have any assistance from Apple support. Now is that on Apple having good software? Sure, but like I said I've never had to see a Apple Genius or support for assistance.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Samsung seemed to cheap out with the Tab S9 Ultra. No free keyboard cover included with pre orders. The S8 Ultra pre order came with a free keyboard cover.

It seemed to me that the deals with the pre-order of the Galaxy S23 were pretty lame compared to the S22. But in July Samsung was offering $750 trade in value on an S22 Ultra and $200 off.

Apple currently isn't offering a cellular version of the Tab S9 Ultra. I'm waiting to see if that will be released later and what deals might be offered then.

Snewbanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
It seemed to me that the deals with the pre-order of the Galaxy S23 were pretty lame compared to the S22. But in July Samsung was offering $750 trade in value on an S22 Ultra and $200 off.

Apple currently isn't offering a cellular version of the Tab S9 Ultra. I'm waiting to see if that will be released later and what deals might be offered then.

*Samsung

And as for the deals, Samsung had some decent offers via trade in of my Pro and preorder discounts. I also saved as they have discount addons if you are a teacher, Military, or in medical field. Saved me an extra $50.

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Both platforms are great and work for various groups of people. The iPad has an amazing chip. It's a great tablet for those in the Apple ecosystem and used to how the iPhone works. I chose the Tab S9 Ultra because I am not stuck in the Apple ecosystem despite having an iPhone, airpods, apple watch and iMac. I have a an S23Ultra, Galaxy buds and Galaxy Watch as well so I use apps that work well on both systems. I prefer the screen and file management that Samsung provides. I can add N64 or Gamecube games and play on it. I can edit my photos as well on the go. Anything heavy-duty will go to my iMac. I know there are great apps and features that are iPad exclusive but they're not what I use daily so I went with the Galaxy Tab lineup.

BuffaloJim

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2020
LMFAO if only it ran the worst OS known to man. Way to ruin this device with your blind fangirlism
…says a person commenting on an Apple board.

Perhaps you haven’t actually tried to compare apps on the iPad vs apps on an Android tablet. While both iOS and Android phones are similar in their usability, the same cannot be said for tablets. Far too many Android tablet apps are simply blown up versions of the phone apps. They look terrible and too often that lousy overblown interface affects using it as well.

Knight101

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Infact, support for Samsung is pretty good. I have had problem with charging port in Note 10 plus. It was under 2 year warranty as standard. You can book for repair online. They came to my house and fixed it in their Van.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
they are just toys with no safety at all. Ask my boss, he lost a freaking amount of money because of that. Sure - they cost less and linux world is another thing. But android? No way...
😂 ‘just toys’… that’s exactly the words I was told about my Mac in 1984 when I worked with the Dutch Ministry of Defense and the US Army. Back then Apple ran circles around DOS machines. Today, I do not believe that is the case. While Apple still makes the better hardware mousetrap, I do not feel the same of their software.
I have nine HomePods in my home together with Apple TV. When iOS behaves I like them a lot. However, my five Google devices are far less glitchy, and produce more desirable results. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
😂 ‘just toys’… that’s exactly the words I was told about my Mac in 1984 when I worked with the Dutch Ministry of Defense and the US Army. Back then Apple ran circles around DOS machines. Today, I do not believe that is the case. While Apple still makes the better hardware mousetrap, I do not feel the same of their software.
I have nine HomePods in my home together with Apple TV. When iOS behaves I like them a lot. However, my five Google devices are far less glitchy, and produce more desirable results. 🤷‍♂️
14 Speakers? Did you rent the whole floor @ the plaza? Bad hearing? I mean, we can apple forgive that speak trouble of yours. Look how fine they are working on system integration of their devices across ios and mac os... "desirable results" + wireless speakers are for me two incompatible things. I prefer high bit-rates and wires ;-)

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Justl got mine. Sold my M1 11'. Boy this ultra is massive. Amazing screen, for content it's amazing. And cheap. Got it NIB off swappa for $800. The new iPad 12.9 will likely be much more expensive. It's not as fluid as ios but so far so good. Time will tell.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Returned my M2 ipad Pro for the Tab S9. Only thing the ipad was better on was the feel of the pencil, but the samsung's pencil was much more feature-rich. The keyboard cover for the Tab S9 was much cheaper than $350. Believe it was $130 or so. Overall, the ipad pro didn't impress me for the price, especially considering the keyboard and pencil were separate purchases. The device didn't seem like a radical change from my first gen iPad pro besides the screen and smoothness.

The Tab s9 is a massive upgrade. Dex is really slick. The oled screen is amazing. Keyboard cover is good, not great. Running emulators on a tablet is awesome. I'll disagree with the above poster - the Tab s9 is every bit as fluid as the M1 ipad pro.

Also wanted to comment- multi window magement on the ipad while connected to a separate screen was a nightmare. Everything about it is unintuitive, especially with a keyboard/track pad. Good luck figuring out how to get windows where you want them while maximizing the screen space you can use.

In response to the poster who mentioned android apps that aren't optimized for tablet use- I've only found one app, private internet access, that wasn't. Luckily I only have to open it for a few seconds once in a while. Otherwise, all the apps seem to be properly optimized for use on a tablet. And all the apps that ios and Android have in common are largely the same. Very few differences, if any.

Last edited:
Reactions: Technerd108

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
One word: cloud
I put movies on a tablet for my kids to watch in the car on long rides. I tried to do this with an older 256gb ipad, but getting them onto the device through iTunes was a massive PITA and just did not work at all. Ended up using an android tablet with a MicroSD card. Handbrake transcodes them and I drag/drop right to the tablet or I drag them over from a network location. I'm glad tablets still have expandable storage. On the ipad, I had to keep the files app open and wait for the network transfer to complete before I could use the ipad again.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
I've never needed support for any of my Apple or Samsung devices. Neither has my extended family. I'm largely of the belief (because I witness it firsthand all the time) that most issues are PEBKAC. It's infuriating, but not surprising, that we've had internet browsers, forums, and search engines for 20+ years and people still can't figure out how to search "ipad screen not turning on" and follow some advice online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.