Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
UPDATE: scratch no longer present and cannot see swirl marks but only under very particular lighting conditions and the camera picks it up more than what you would see in real life. happy with the phone and not going for an exchange. installed bestskinsever glossy full body wrap skin and couldnt be happier.

EQYdpwj.jpg

So my phone has a scratch mark out of box. Has anyone else had this experience? The scratch was already there even before I lifted off the plastic covering. The phone looks hideous in this picture but viewing it first hand it's simply beautiful.

H2IgegE.jpg

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Take it to an Apple Store, they'll replace it. Especially if you have a picture of it before removing the plastic covering, showing it was there BEFORE removing it.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Take it to an Apple Store, they'll replace it. Especially if you have a picture of it before removing the plastic covering, showing it was there BEFORE removing it.

Why bother though, even if its kept in a case. When you wipe the rear with a soft micro fiber you will probably get some soft surface swirls. Its going to be impossible to avoid even light swirls/scratches.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
If Apple themselves warns that this phone will scratch like crazy odds are slim they're going to replace it. And even if they did, why bother? It'll scratch being naked, put in a case, taken out, wiped down. Such an impractical consumer device honestly.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So my phone has a scratch mark out of box. Has anyone else had this experience? The scratch was already there even before I lifted off the plastic covering. The phone looks hideous in this picture but viewing it first hand it's simply beautiful.

H2IgegE.jpg
How did you get one? Is it 256?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
not sure if you guys know this but you can replace it for ANY reason within 14 days.

Just walk in there, tell the apple employee the phone floats by itself and get a new one.
[doublepost=1474603068][/doublepost]
If Apple themselves warns that this phone will scratch like crazy odds are slim they're going to replace it. And even if they did, why bother? It'll scratch being naked, put in a case, taken out, wiped down. Such an impractical consumer device honestly.
true after the 14 day return is up but not true within 14 days.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
......... It'll scratch being naked, put in a case, taken out, wiped down. Such an impractical consumer device honestly.

you are talking about the iPhone 6S / 7 a.k.a soapblock? Then I agree, those iPhones really feel like soapblocks

I love my new jetblack iPhone. beautiful design and marvelous grippy iPhone.

AppleCare+ and going caseless

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelers7510

laurenbanjo

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
not sure if you guys know this but you can replace it for ANY reason within 14 days.

Just walk in there, tell the apple employee the phone floats by itself and get a new one.
[doublepost=1474603068][/doublepost]
true after the 14 day return is up but not true within 14 days.
It's up to OP if they wanna deal with something that's gonna happen anyway or if they wanna return it and wait a month or more for another one. but hey if they don't want it I'll take it and they can have my 10/05 preorder lol

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Are those swirl marks on the finish already, too?

There are swirl marks but they are extremely hard to see. The camera picks it up really well though. The scratch mark kinda bothers me though. I figure it's going to be like this anyhow so I figure if I should even bother with exchanging it.
[doublepost=1474603821][/doublepost]
How did you get one? Is it 256?

its 128GB. I got one via online preorder using Apple store app

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
There are swirl marks but they are extremely hard to see. The camera picks it up really well though. The scratch mark kinda bothers me though. I figure it's going to be like this anyhow so I figure if I should even bother with exchanging it.

Sure, but that's a sign of a really bad finish, IMO. A new car will have swirl marks from the factory due to some dust build-up and such from travel. You check for swirls under direct light, anyway, so that's a good test to check the phone (like you would a car).

There's no reason for a phone to swirl THAT quickly. My God is that awful.

This would be my recommendation for any Jet Black owners. Coat the thing. Use a paint coating on it. CQuartz makes one for cars. It'll at least protect against swirls.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Sure, but that's a sign of a really bad finish, IMO. A new car will have swirl marks from the factory due to some dust build-up and such from travel. You check for swirls under direct light, anyway, so that's a good test to check the phone (like you would a car).

There's no reason for a phone to swirl THAT quickly. My God is that awful.

This would be my recommendation for any Jet Black owners. Coat the thing. Use a paint coating on it. CQuartz makes one for cars. It'll at least protect against swirls.

Yeah tomorrow I'm going to take it out of the case and see if the swirl marks are easily visible. If it is I'm going to get a request for an exchange. I have a bestskinsever glossy skin on order that is coming tomorrow.

Reactions: Illogix

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
The skin should help for sure.

Those swirls are just insane, dude. Holy crap. I am big into auto detailing and I'd flip out if I saw that level of swirling on a car I owned or was working on.
[doublepost=1474604151][/doublepost]
Buy a glossy phone, you're gonna get scratches. You can't explain that!

It just shouldn't swirl so damn easy. That's some SERIOUSLY soft anodizing.

GM paint, for example, comes with some really soft clear coat. Swirls bad. But that's also out in the elements. This is an almost-brand-new phone.

Thank God I got the matte black . . .

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
This is just like the slate iPhone 5 saga all over again...came scratched out the box...scratched easily. Those looked HIDEOUS after a year of "age."

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
This is just like the slate iPhone 5 saga all over again...came scratched out the box...scratched easily. Those looked HIDEOUS after a year of "age."

Yeah, these are going to look so beat up after just a few months. Even in a case I suspect. Though I'm not sure why you'd get a case or skin, if you got the JB the first place. Seems like it defeats the point. As you get this finish to show it off, not to cover it....even with a clear material.

You sorta need to have that rare attitude of someone that adores the beauty of an perfect JB finish, and also is totally at peace with knowing it will only be that way for a few days max.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
Yeah, these are going to look so beat up after just a few months. Even in a case I suspect. Though I'm not sure why you'd get a case or skin, if you got the JB the first place. Seems like it defeats the point. As you get this finish to show it off, not to cover it....even with a clear material.

You sorta need to have that rare attitude of someone that adores the beauty of an perfect JB finish, and also is totally at peace with knowing it will only be that way for a few days max.

I wonder if the case would scratch the phone around the camera cutout...that happened on my slate iPhone 5 on the top portion (that part was glossy too)...that looks terrible.

Reactions: Hogg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It just shouldn't swirl so damn easy. That's some SERIOUSLY soft anodizing.

GM paint, for example, comes with some really soft clear coat. Swirls bad. But that's also out in the elements. This is an almost-brand-new phone.

Thank God I got the matte black . . .

Speak for yourself. No scratches or obvious swirl marks on my naked launch day JB 7.

Reactions: Rina11

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wonder if the case would scratch the phone around the camera cutout...that happened on my slate iPhone 5 on the top portion (that part was glossy too)...that looks terrible.

Yeah, that's why cases sometimes do more harm than good. I've rocked my iPhones naked since 2007 and they're often in better condition after one year than many used iPhones I see on eBay whose scratches/imprints/rash the sellers blamed on the use of a case.

My wife cases her iPhones because she tends to drop it several times a week, and stubborn imprints from the case are sometimes impossible to get rid of.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I love that you have to pay up for a Jet Black 128 or more and can't get it in 32gb for a swirled, scratched grinder that will have no resale value in a year. lol.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
Yeah, that's why cases sometimes do more harm than good. I've rocked my iPhones naked since 2007 and they're often in better condition after one year than many used iPhones I see on eBay whose scratches/imprints/rash the sellers blamed on the use of a case.

My wife cases her iPhones because she tends to drop it several times a week, and stubborn imprints from the case are impossible to get rid of.

Totally agree...If I didn't have kids, I wouldn't need a case lol
[doublepost=1474648203][/doublepost]
I love that you have to pay up for a Jet Black 128 or more and can't get it in 32gb for a swirled, scratched grinder that will have no resale value in a year. lol.

And then next year the jet black scratch problem will be fixed! lol

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
[doublepost=1474648203][/doublepost]

And then next year the jet black scratch problem will be fixed! lol

Apple does some bizarre chit though I can't explain. Like those 2014 Mac Minis that only were dual core for some reason and sealed shut, and this super scratch phone that didn't learn from the prior one they had that did this. Like they couldn't seriously utilize technology to make a phone like this that didn't scratch?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I have two kids. My iPhone stays in my pocket when not in use.
[doublepost=1474648534][/doublepost]

I don't remember swirled, scratched grinders that were the black iPhone 3G/3GS having no resale value after a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.