Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Those phones were new tech then. Now it's a dime a dozen. No one is going to pay 70% or whatever it is for a smudgy scratched iPhone. There's no point. The Matte blacks will be like hot cakes though.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
I have two kids. My iPhone stays in my pocket when not in use.
[doublepost=1474648534][/doublepost]

I don't remember swirled, scratched grinders that were the black iPhone 3G/3GS having no resale value after a year.

LOL my kids would find some way to make me drop my phone. Or scratch it. Somehow. And yeah I guess we live in a different time now than the 3G/3GS era. With all the technological advances, you'd think Apple could make this more scratch-resistant. They'll figure it out, I suppose.
[doublepost=1474649126][/doublepost]
Apple does some bizarre chit though I can't explain. Like those 2014 Mac Minis that only were dual core for some reason and sealed shut, and this super scratch phone that didn't learn from the prior one they had that did this. Like they couldn't seriously utilize technology to make a phone like this that didn't scratch?

EXACTLY. It's 2016. Back when the 3G/3GS came out, the iPhone ITSELF was a technological advancement.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Those phones were new tech then. Now it's a dime a dozen. No one is going to pay 70% or whatever it is for a smudgy scratched iPhone. There's no point. The Matte blacks will be like hot cakes though.

Most likely the opposite. People also said that gold and rose gold models would have poor resale value because the colors are too gaudy, girly, etc. and guess what, they command a higher premium than their silver and black counterparts.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
Most likely the opposite. People also said that gold and rose gold models would have poor resale value because the colors are too gaudy, girly, etc. and guess what, they command a higher premium than their silver and black counterparts.

I wouldn't wanna buy someone's jacked up JB 7 or 7+ ... I mean a few scratches
Here's a new vid from Erica. She thinks there were some scuffs out of the box.

Yup it's the iPhone 5 Slate all over again. Mine came scratched out the box too. Glad the matte was pristine right out of the box. Apple seemed to solve that problem and they'll solve the JB problem on the next iPhone.

Reactions: Hogg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Not all JB 7 or 7+ will be "jacked up." Notice that Apple never said in its disclaimer that it scratches easier, only that it shows scratches more easily. This is really no different from black cars, which show more scratches despite having the exact same scratches as lighter color cars.

I expect my JB to be exactly like my black 3GS after a year, no scratches but full of swirl marks. Black cars also don't have "no resale value" in 2016.

Reactions: Rina11

Illogix

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah tomorrow I'm going to take it out of the case and see if the swirl marks are easily visible. If it is I'm going to get a request for an exchange. I have a bestskinsever glossy skin on order that is coming tomorrow.
Waiting on my JB 7+ and Best Skins Ever glossy back wrap. If you keep yours and apply the skin, could you please post some pics of it? Thanks been trying for days to find some pics of a clear skin on the JB.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
Not all JB 7 or 7+ will be "jacked up." Notice that Apple never said in its disclaimer that it scratches easier, only that it shows scratches more easily. This is really no different from black cars, which show more scratches despite having the exact same scratches as lighter color cars.

I expect my JB to be exactly like my black 3GS after a year, no scratches but full of swirl marks. Black cars also don't have "no resale value" in 2016.

We shall see. I wouldn't compare a car to a phone. Black cars have better paint jobs.

Hogg

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

Yup it's the iPhone 5 Slate all over again. Mine came scratched out the box too. Glad the matte was pristine right out of the box. Apple seemed to solve that problem and they'll solve the JB problem on the next iPhone.

I'm surprised Apple didn't go with the same space black cold forged stainless steel finish, of the first Apple watch. It has a near identical finish to the Jet Black and is far more resistant to scratching. I'm guessing they wanted to save weight, but this manufacturing process would have been the way to go for the JB's...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
We shall see. I wouldn't compare a car to a phone. Black cars have better paint jobs.

Those "better" paint jobs still have horrendous swirl marks straight out of factory (if you don't believe me, just go to any new car dealerships and you'll see for yourself). At least my JB wasn't as bad.

And of course, someone could be anal retentive enough to mask those swirl marks using glaze, Zaino Z5, etc. but I'm not going to bother lest it ruins the grip. No reason to make it more slippery like the matte aluminum.

Reactions: DIGGDEEP

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
I'm surprised Apple didn't go with the same space black cold forged stainless steel finish, of the first Apple watch. It has a near identical finish to the Jet Black and is far more resistant to scratching. I'm guessing they wanted to save weight, but this manufacturing process would have been the way to go for the JB's...

EXACTLY! Thank you! The JB's were a last-minute idea/decision to create more hype and sell more phones. Now they're trying to mass produce them in a pinch. I bet they'll use a better manufacturing process next year.

Reactions: DIGGDEEP and Hogg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I guess they didn't want to charge a premium for DLC-coated iPhone, and they know people would buy the JB in its current form anyway.

Reactions: Hogg

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Waiting on my JB 7+ and Best Skins Ever glossy back wrap. If you keep yours and apply the skin, could you please post some pics of it? Thanks been trying for days to find some pics of a clear skin on the JB.

Here ya go!

Bestskinsever glossy ip7+ jet black verizon

dyG4EF4.jpg

after letting it settle overnight the air gaps are now gone.
pyh4IbJ.jpg

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
i personally saw the jet black today in store and it looks and feels really nice in person, debating on going on over the jet black!

When I checked out a jet black 7 in the store, I could very clearly see the "seam" running down the side of the phone (where the front and rear pieces are joined). Is this normal for a JB phone; or did someone maybe just try bending it or something, which opened the seam?

Illogix

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
There should only be a seam where the glass meets the black aluminum. The back (and sides) are one continuous piece of metal, with no seam.
[doublepost=1474898998][/doublepost]
Here ya go!

Bestskinsever glossy ip7+ jet black verizon

dyG4EF4.jpg
Thanks for the pic! Looks really nice. Just a quick question, where the Apple logo is, does the skin not completely fill in all the space? It sorta looks like there is air/gap around the outer edges of the Apple logo. Also, do you feel like it protects the bottom well, near the speaker/lightning port? Thanks!

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
There should only be a seam where the glass meets the black aluminum. The back (and sides) are one continuous piece of metal, with no seam.
[doublepost=1474898998][/doublepost]
Thanks for the pic! Looks really nice. Just a quick question, where the Apple logo is, does the skin not completely fill in all the space? It sorta looks like there is air/gap around the outer edges of the Apple logo. Also, do you feel like it protects the bottom well, near the speaker/lightning port? Thanks!

it fills it all the way just have to let it settle overnight
it does not protect the speaker grills but thats fine. the skin wont offer protection from drops so a case is still recommended. im just going to buy a bumper and call it a day

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
If Apple themselves warns that this phone will scratch like crazy odds are slim they're going to replace it. And even if they did, why bother? It'll scratch being naked, put in a case, taken out, wiped down. Such an impractical consumer device honestly.

People just don't learn do they. But you know what, it's Apple's fault really. They made such a delicate device for people that have OCD. So let people complain and return devices.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
OP, were you planning on putting a Case on your phone at all?
If so, then what's the problem if you don't see it? Resell value? Okay.. exchange it.
No case? Then this will be the least of the damage by the end of the week.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
OP, were you planning on putting a Case on your phone at all?
If so, then what's the problem if you don't see it? Resell value? Okay.. exchange it.
No case? Then this will be the least of the damage by the end of the week.

just an update, that 'scratch' came off. as far as the swirl marks i dont notice it but just through the picture i took. im not exchanging it. i put a transparent skin on it so im using it with that for now. will eventually get a bumper though. i dont have a single scratch on the phone.

EQYdpwj.jpg

Reactions: Floris

iEs

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Safari
To be honest, you should've well known the consequences of getting the JB model and dealing with these marks.

I would have left the seal on, take a quick 10 second clip and show it to them. Otherwise, no point! Sooner or later, all of our phones will have normal wear and tear! Just enjoy your new device and life!

Last edited:

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
To be honest, you should've well know the consequences of getting the JB model and dealing with these marks.

I would have left the seal on, take a quick 10 second clip and show it to them. Otherwise, no point! Sooner or later, all of our phones will have normal wear and tear! Just enjoy your new device and life!

did you not read? scratch is no longer there. installed transparent skin on it and no longer have issues with marks.

Reactions: Rina11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.