Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
and I think ghosting can and does impact everyday real world use, whether you're playing a game or watching video.
I don't play games at all on my MBP but considering film makers shoot at lower frame rates to introduce blur to the image I'm not sure how you could visually delineate the line between intentional cinematic blur and display response time into any noticeable margin.

Let me just add, the yellowed display that that OP posted about is horrible. If it were me, I'd be very upset/disappointed that my 3,000 to 4,000 laptop looked that bad. I have no idea what the OP will or will not do, but I'm just putting myself in that situation
In the first side by side pictures the OP posted I personally feel the 16" MBP looks more neutral than the 15" screen and this is without knowing how the camera was white balancing the image.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don't play games at all on my MBP but considering film makers shoot at lower frame rates to introduce blur to the image I'm not sure how you could visually delineate the line between intentional cinematic blur and display response time into any noticeable margin.

In the first side by side pictures the OP posted I personally feel the 16" MBP looks more neutral than the 15" screen and this is without knowing how the camera was white balancing the image.

it’s extremely unlikely, ambiguity of white balance aside, given the fact that the user posted the photos in order to illustrate how it looks to his eye, that it “discriminated” against the 16” and gave the two other side by side laptops a pass. Come on!

It is possible OP has ill intent and means to throw FUD around to get people riled up, but I’m gonna go ahead and say I seriously doubt it

you can understand why this comes across as apologist , right? Even if your takeaway remains the same. Why even mention the white balance is unknown, to throw off perception, if you think independent of that the 16” looks better to your eye? Weren’t you all about the exact kelvins of the display? At least be consistent

and in the photo of the website on the screen that has a photo of a crowd of people, a blue banner, etc —you’re seeing a tremendous boost in color there? Because I’m not.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Additionally - Reviewers in the past have never complained about display inaccuracy on most recent models.. like ever. so why is it that it’s only now retroactively an issue when dingy is the new norm?
And yet current reviewers are not saying the current MBP is yellow and washed out however paradoxically they are commenting very positively on the displays accuracy out of the box yet you say they are sub standard.
[automerge]1583848822[/automerge]
and in the photo of the website on the screen that has a photo of a crowd of people, a blue banner, etc —you’re seeing a tremendous boost in color there? Because I’m not.
I mention the white balance of the camera as it could effect the outcome of both screens and might favour the 16" screen more making the 15" look even worse. The greys look more neutral on the 16" image while the 15" greys have a cooler magenta tone.

If the underlying colour of the screen is leaning towards blues and magentas of course the blue banner is going to look bluer and punchier as its blues are being artificially boosted by the innacuracy of the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chevysales

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
And yet current reviewers are not saying the current MBP is yellow and washed out however paradoxically they are commenting very positively on the displays accuracy out of the box yet you say they are sub standard.
[automerge]1583848822[/automerge]

I mention the white balance of the camera as it could effect the outcome of both screens and might favour the 16" screen more making the 15" look even worse. The greys look more neutral on the 16" image while the 15" greys have a cooler magenta tone.

If the underlying colour of the screen is leaning towards blues and magentas of course the blue banner is going to look bluer and punchier as its blues are being artificially boosted by the innacuracy of the screen.

That’s the point isn’t it

reviewers don’t take fault with the display being too blue or too yellow or too anything. It’s always perfect all the time even though in reality it wildly varies

again though why would OP post photos that don’t even remotely resemble what he is experiencing with his own eyes? Unless just stirring the pot, I’m gonna call bs on blaming it on everything but the dingy display itself

Reactions: Mick84

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure how you could visually delineate the line between intentional cinematic blur and display response time into any noticeable margin.
I don't own a MBP, but a quick glance at the threads here, its clear people are unhappy with how the 16" display performs especially compared to the 15" You're bending over backwards trying to defend Apple or the MBP, where as its clear the 16" display is inferior in ways that have made a number of people disappointed and/or upset.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight, but rather I was just providing the OP advice, to that point, I'll bow out, I'm not looking to argue over the display is fantastic or poor. I have my opinions, you have yours, and I'll just bow out

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I don't own a MBP, but a quick glance at the threads here, its clear people are unhappy with how the 16" display performs especially compared to the 15" You're bending over backwards trying to defend Apple or the MBP, where as its clear the 16" display is inferior in ways that have made a number of people disappointed and/or upset.

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight, but rather I was just providing the OP advice, to that point, I'll bow out, I'm not looking to argue over the display is fantastic or poor. I have my opinions, you have yours, and I'll just bow out
But I do own one and would return it if any of what was posted here was effecting its performance for photography, video editing, netflix, youtube, emails, surfing the web, accounting, movies..........................

You don't own one but your perception of the display from reading the inaccurate info posted here has stopped you from buying one.

The display in not clearly inferior as you put it and to my eyes, the eyes of users who have calibrated one, the eyes of reviewers and the eyes of many professional users it is very obviously superior in many ways. I'm not bending in any direction to defend Apple or my pride over something costing this much money and would return in a heartbeat if I found any of the information posted here to be remotely factual and recognisable in actual real world use.
[automerge]1583850278[/automerge]
That’s the point isn’t it

reviewers don’t take fault with the display being too blue or too yellow or too anything. It’s always perfect all the time even though in reality it wildly varies

again though why would OP post photos that don’t even remotely resemble what he is experiencing with his own eyes? Unless just stirring the pot, I’m gonna call bs on blaming it on everything but the dingy display itself
Yet there is a healthy industry in display calibration devises for those previous Apple displays that many including myself knew were off for years.

You are seeing colours artificially effected by the displays native colour.

A blue banner looking bluer on an older screen is completely understandable if the screen is biased towards that colour however that is far from the way is should look. If the OP or any of the complainers calibrated a 15" I'm confident it would look much closer to the 16" MBP than the 15" current native colour........ Numbers don't like.

Last edited:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you do a search on here you'll see that this sort of thread comes up with literally every new Apple product. iPhone, iPad, MBP, everything: every new generation gets the same complaints. If every new generation really was yellower than the last version then the screens of every Apple device would be the same colour as yellow post-it notes by now...

Reactions: ascender

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you do a search on here you'll see that this sort of thread comes up with literally every new Apple product. iPhone, iPad, MBP, everything: every new generation gets the same complaints. If every new generation really was yellower than the last version then the screens of every Apple device would be the same colour as yellow post-it notes by now...
So what you're saying is apple continues to produce inconsistent products, in that there are a number of units that have higher occurrence of yellows then others.

• Haha
Reactions: gazwas

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
So what you're saying is apple continues to produce inconsistent products, in that there are a number of units that have higher occurrence of yellows then others.
With the absence of a smiley face after your comment I take it you are being serious.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why is that so unbelievable ?

most of us on this board like apple products more than we don’t , but “you’re looking at it wrong” is a viewthat I can’t believe people still hold nearly ten years after the reign of bean counter Tim Cook with reality distortion fields down. You seem like last one off the boat

• Haha

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With the absence of a smiley face after your comment I take it you are being serious.
Yes, we either blame the owner for the yellow screen, i.e., its not really yellow, or the screens are really yellow.

No matter how you slice it the screen shot from the OP illustrates a 16" laptop with a yellow screen.
1583867281636.png

Maybe I miss a post from you, but are you saying his laptop doesn't exhibit any yellowness?

If so, why do you say its acceptable (other then saying you'll get used to it)

Reactions: Mick84

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
You must have been pretty bored to stir this up again. The OP bowed out in December, no doubt still waiting for your advice.

Photos of screens compared to other screens that may or may not be properly calibrated isn't a good way to decide anything. The OP said calibration didn't work for them, but for most people it does. There's very little evidence of a large problem with the color balance of these screens after calibration, and most people are happy with them without calibration.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
You must have been pretty bored to stir this up again. The OP bowed out in December, no doubt still waiting for your advice.

Photos of screens compared to other screens that may or may not be properly calibrated isn't a good way to decide anything. The OP said calibration didn't work for them, but for most people it does. There's very little evidence of a large problem with the color balance of these screens after calibration, and most people are happy with them without calibration.
Finally a comment that actually makes some sense!

Reactions: Sanpete

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Finally a comment that actually makes some sense!

no ... you’re taking criticism of quality control variation in mass manufactured products personally. It’s rather baffling

also assuming deception and ill intent of op who clearly is questioning their panel

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Why is that so unbelievable ?

most of us on this board like apple products more than we don’t , but “you’re looking at it wrong” is a viewthat I can’t believe people still hold nearly ten years after the reign of bean counter Tim Cook with reality distortion fields down. You seem like last one off the boat
I explained to you some posts above why the blues of the OP’s
screen you referenced look more colourful yet you choose to ignore the perfectly plausible explanation.

Tests prove the 16” MBP is very accurate out of the box

Now you decide to turn this into some sort of Tim Cook conspiracy theory.

If I was last off the boat, you must have been captain.
[automerge]1583869671[/automerge]
no ... you’re taking criticism of quality control variation in mass manufactured products personally. It’s rather baffling

also assuming deception and ill intent of op who clearly is questioning their panel
No and no.

• Haha
Reactions: thadoggfather

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
It appears just looking at the complaints, that apple is using a less expensive panel, and whether its yellow or ghosting, there are owners that are disappointed - especially given the cost of the laptop.

So why is there such a disconnect? Apple still regularly praised for their image quality, accuracy and consistency across pretty much all of their products.

I still think its hard to come in to these forums , particularly after a new product launch, and get an objective view of an issue like this. As a couple of others have mentioned, the yellow tint is one of those things where you tend to see threads developing with people posting pictures of white, blank screens, in a dark room and asking if they have the issue or not.

These are in amongst posts where people have been noticing the issue in "normal use", but it can be difficult to separate the two.

Should it matter though? If you have a 16" MBP and are happy with the screen quality, does that make it all ok? Or should we all be trying to test screens and reject them if it turns out they are more yellow that we should expect under certain (false?) conditions?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So why is there such a disconnect? Apple still regularly praised for their image quality, accuracy and consistency across pretty much all of their products.
Up until the 16" MBP, that's been the case, but it seems we have more people complaining about various facets with the display with the 16" model. I don't have answers other than my opinion that perhaps Apple used a lower grade display panel and is more prone to the issues being complained about here in this forum.

Reactions: ascender

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
This thread is about yellow cast or a color temperature that is too low. I and others with access to professional equipment have measured the color temperature and found it to be accurate from the factory.

Additionally the color temperature is something you can calibrate to your preferences if you would want something else instead of the normal 6.500 Kelvin or if your individual machine would deviate. This has been discussed earlier in the thread.

As a moderator and as you say "without a dog in the fight" maybe you should try to provide more constructive advice to the OP?

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
I just received my 16 inch today. I've read people complaining about lower brightness and some other screen issues. While I can't comment on the brightness my screen definitely has yellowish tint and colors seem duller compared to 15 inch models from 2016 and 2017 I have on hand. Overall it's a great upgrade and so far I'm happy with everything except for the screen which I consider to be worse. I'm a bit disappointed, I expect technology to get better over time not worse!

I'm thinking of getting it exchanged for another unit but I have suspicion that all units are like this. Can someone confirm that all screens are like mine? I took some photos for comparison. True Tone and Night Shift were disabled, calibration using built-in tool didn't help.
no they aren't all like that... mine sure isn't.
[automerge]1583932992[/automerge]
This thread is about yellow cast or a color temperature that is too low. I and others with access to professional equipment have measured the color temperature and found it to be accurate from the factory.

Additionally the color temperature is something you can calibrate to your preferences if you would want something else instead of the normal 6.500 Kelvin or if your individual machine would deviate. This has been discussed earlier in the thread.

As a moderator and as you say "without a dog in the fight" maybe you should try to provide more constructive advice to the OP?
exactly
[automerge]1583933154[/automerge]
Up until the 16" MBP, that's been the case, but it seems we have more people complaining about various facets with the display with the 16" model. I don't have answers other than my opinion that perhaps Apple used a lower grade display panel and is more prone to the issues being complained about here in this forum.
I seriously doubt that... but like you its just my opinion based on a much wider audience than just this forum

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005

If they are using a lower grade display quality, I'd have expected some of the Youtube reviewers in particular to call that out though? And sites like The Verge who seem to do pretty comprehensive reviews of Apple products.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
View attachment 898497

Maybe I miss a post from you, but are you saying his laptop doesn't exhibit any yellowness?

If so, why do you say its acceptable (other then saying you'll get used to it)
The OP's photo shows a horrible blue/magenta cast to the 15" screen and next to this the 16" looks much more neutral to my eye.

My point about getting used to the colour is if you know the colour is accurate (my tests and others show this) and you feel it looks yellow next to a very cool previous MBP when side by side simply taking the 2018 away your brain will adjust and the screen will look neutral within minutes. I'd prefer my colour perception was adjusted while looking at a correct screen than adjusted to an inaccurate one.

What part of the 16" MBP display has been measured as accurate that's continually repeated here time and time again brings you to the conclusion the panels are lower grade? The new 16" panel is more colour accurate out of the box, so how is this a downgrade?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
that's continually repeated here time and time again brings you to the conclusion the panels are lower grade? The new 16" panel is more colour accurate out of the box, so how is this a downgrade?
My opinion based on personal observation.

I said nothing about color accuracy but rather what I observe regarding the various complaints, which include but are not limited to ghosting

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
My opinion based on personal observation.

I said nothing about color accuracy but rather what I observe regarding the various complaints, which include but are not limited to ghosting
Sorry I thought this discussion was about yellow screens?

Apple has chosen a more colour accurate display over one with a faster response time. I suppose that is bad for gamers but I imagine hard core gamers dont use MBP's or if they do, probably connect to larger gaming screens.

I feel I'm what Apple consider the target market of MBP's (creators) and much prefer colour fidelity over response time, especially when it has no negative effect on the performance of the computer when doing any task outside gaming or obsessively wobbling a finder window around my desktop.

I'm sure some feel hard done to but I don't see any issues with my display while I sit here editing photo's.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry I thought this discussion was about yellow screens?
It is, and the first post in this thread confirms that the OP's laptop is more yellow than his other laptop. My point is people are complaining about the display panel. I have no idea if the yellow screen the OP has is wide spread or not. Clearly his is, but I don't know if others are impacted by it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.