Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Looking forward to the full review.

25th-29th delivery date. 😳

What’s the hold up? Every model is still available over here for In store pick up, or 2 day delivery.
Thank you! I will try my best to be objective :)

And I guess they’re not as popular down under, where apparently money and iPhone 13 Pro Maxes grow on trees! 🤑

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you! I will try my best to be objective :)

And I guess they’re not as popular down under, where apparently money and iPhone 13 Pro Maxes grow on trees! 🤑
If only this was true. 🤣

Australia is iPhone country, they’re very popular here, main reason why the SE isn’t selling well here, is because of it’s $719 price tag.

You going to rock the beta on the SE?

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
If only this was true. 🤣

Australia is iPhone country, they’re very popular here, main reason why the SE isn’t selling well here, is because of it’s $719 price tag.

You going to rock the beta on the SE?
That’s extremely interesting but also damn. Although the US will soon get there with all this inflation and whatnot.

And you know it! So many bugs make their way into Apple’s “final” versions these days/years that it’s almost as if all their software is in beta anyway. Why not run the latest, most exciting thing (for free 🤪)?

Kinda puts a different spin on “delta variant….” 🦠😩

• Haha
Reactions: Boyyai and LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
That’s extremely interesting but also damn. Although the US will soon get there with all this inflation and whatnot.

And you know it! So many bugs make their way into Apple’s “final” versions these days/years that it’s almost as if all their software is in beta anyway. Why not run the latest, most exciting thing (for free 🤪)?

Kinda puts a different spin on “delta variant….” 🦠😩

All these bugs is what makes running these betas fun, we need something to complain about, gotta keep the beta thread rolling somehow. 😂

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
All these bugs is what makes running these betas fun, we need something to complain about, gotta keep the beta thread rolling somehow. 😂
Shameless plug—love it. But absolutely true no matter which way one happens to personally slice it.

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
So my first impressions have been good. Got mine Friday. Battery life seems better to me. I do not have to recharge it during the day like I did my SE 2020. 5G in my area is fast so I have noticed a difference there. Plus I like Touch ID so it has been a win overall for me.

So my first impressions have been good. Got mine Friday. Battery life seems better to me. I do not have to recharge it during the day like I did my SE 2020. 5G in my area is fast so I have noticed a difference there. Plus I like Touch ID so it has been a win overall for me.
Congratulations on the new iPhone. Sounds like it's a beast.

1647847569337.png

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
How’s the camera?

Camera is not one of my interests or use cases for this phone. But I just tried it, and it seems fine, with pretty noticeably good dynamic range. It's a single-lens phone, so you don't get any instant "2x" or whatever. You pinch and zoom.

For context, I use high-end DSLRs and lenses, so phone cameras have never interested me or impressed me beyond their ability to take quick snaps. I certainly don't want or appreciate a phone that has not one but three camera lenses sticking out the back. Just nuts, in my view.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
How's battery life holding up? 🤔
Seems fine.

I suspect I may ultimately have a hard time justifying keeping and using a larger phone as my main phone.

Time will tell.

But the smaller form factor of this makes you realize pretty quickly just how many sacrifices you've come to accept from having to carry the large phones. They rob you of some of your freedom. For example, they start to dictate your wardrobe choices (are the pockets deep enough, etc.).

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I have had the SE 2022 for two days now.

-When connected to WiFi, I get over one hour of screen on-time for every 10% battery life when only web browsing. Rough guideline is to cut the WiFi numbers in half for LTE connection. Probably much more for 5G connection.
-Selfies auto-brighten my face, and sometimes auto-darken my face. This issue does not exist with my iPhone 8 with the latest iOS.
-Noticed battery drain overnight of over 4%. I believe this is due to personal hotspot always turned on. Whose bright idea was this? Especially on a smaller phone with smaller capacity battery?
-The speed of new chip is non-discernible when compared to iPhone 8 during regular usage.
-Increase in RAM from 2Gb to 3Gb is also not noticeable compared to iPhone 8. Everything still refreshes or reloads if I have to go back to previous app, or previous webpage.
-I compared the main camera to a iPhone 12 Pro Max we have in the house. The same exact picture. No difference. Of course, that's because they both have 12 megapixel cameras. But with my iPhone 8, there was some quality difference if zoomed in. I am guessing the new chip is doing the work of smoothing out the picture better.

To me, I feel like this would be a good kids phone, not an upgrade over any iPhone. I don't recommend buying older products, but in this case, iPhone X is better in terms of cost. Bigger screen and bigger battery. 5G is overblown for normal web browsing.

Last edited:

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
To me, I feel like this would be a good kids phone, not an upgrade over any iPhone. I don't recommend buying older products, but in this case, iPhone X is better in terms of cost. Bigger screen and bigger battery. 5G is overblown for normal web browsing.
Odd assessment. iPhone X is a tired phone. First generation OLED panels still hold, but wonder if they kill the battery much quicker being a first gen. Although, I think its a design that outclasses the recent 11/12/13 models.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

We'll that is disheartening to hear - figured it would be 'snappier' (as the kids say on here)...Although, I'm not sure if it's iOS 15, or what, but sometimes music stutters/get choppy framerates within activating the multi-tasking with the iPhone 8.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I just checked mine. Not turned on.
Hotspot is always on. Cannot be turned off. Whe you turn it off, what you are actually doing is turning it off to others. If you have a device signed onto the same Apple account, you can connect to the phone using hotspot even if it is turned off. I tried turning it off doing various things, but no go. I can still connect to the SE 2022 using my iPhone 8 or my iPad.

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Hotspot is always on. Cannot be turned off. Whe you turn it off, what you are actually doing is turning it off to others. If you have a device signed onto the same Apple account, you can connect to the phone using hotspot even if it is turned off. I tried turning it off doing various things, but no go. I can still connect to the SE 2022 using my iPhone 8 or my iPad.
There’s gotta be a way to disable it—how very strange. If the little SE with its battery to match came with a permanently-on wifi hotspot “feature” I feel like it would have to be a bug and/or another micro-scandal for Apple (hotspotgate?).

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
iPhone SE 2022 internals. Check it out. massive improvements in battery.

View attachment 1977954
This is useless if the phone burns battery at idle.

Let's look at all the things I do to save battery:

-Dark mode
-Siri turned off
-Wallet off, and no card added to prevent NFC broadcast
-Brightness at ~20% during day, less in evening
-Screen set to turn off at 30sec
-Blackish wallpaper for both lock screen and home screen
-I manually close all apps before locking screen

I will now conduct a test on how much the battery life decreases per 10% over LTE for just web browsing.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
We'll that is disheartening to hear - figured it would be 'snappier' (as the kids say on here)...Although, I'm not sure if it's iOS 15, or what, but sometimes music stutters/get choppy framerates within activating the multi-tasking with the iPhone 8.

Two of my kids have iPhone 8's and it's faster. Basic navigation might be similar, but I can spend 5 minutes on their 8's and there are noticeable times of hangups or stutters, and that doesn't happen at all on the SE 2022.

Apple has optimized iOS to work great on older phones like the 8, but there are still times where there's a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.