Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hotspot is always on. Cannot be turned off. Whe you turn it off, what you are actually doing is turning it off to others. If you have a device signed onto the same Apple account, you can connect to the phone using hotspot even if it is turned off. I tried turning it off doing various things, but no go. I can still connect to the SE 2022 using my iPhone 8 or my iPad.

Have you tried disabling bluetooth? As far as I know, iCloud account Personal Hotspot performs the initial handshake via bluetooth and then uses wifi for actual hotspot.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
This is useless if the phone burns battery at idle.

Let's look at all the things I do to save battery:

-Dark mode
-Siri turned off
-Wallet off, and no card added to prevent NFC broadcast
-Brightness at ~20% during day, less in evening
-Screen set to turn off at 30sec
-Blackish wallpaper for both lock screen and home screen
-I manually close all apps before locking screen

I will now conduct a test on how much the battery life decreases per 10% over LTE for just web browsing.

I didn't think Dark Mode or black wallpapers made any difference unless you had an OLED screen, which the new SE doesn't.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Testing iPhone SE 2022 over LTE.

-AT&T carrier, 3 bar LTE connection
-Brightness ~20%
-Safari browsing without videos

Started browsing at 2:30pm with battery level at 85%. Only using Safari, lightly browsed non-stop without locking through various articles, no videos, some reddit browsing, some watch forum browsing, but mainly browsing from bing.com articles. The battery level reached 75% at 3:17pm, giving 47 minutes of LTE web browsing for the brand new battery. If we do a rough calculation, 100% to 20% gives us approximately 376 minutes of web browsing usage, or just over six hours of screen on-time provided you don't do anything other than web browsing, especially no camera use.

However, I did this over LTE, not 5G. 5G would consume more battery. And this is in disagreement with Tom's Guide:

"The new iPhone SE 3 lasted 9 hours and 5 minutes on the Tom's Guide Battery Test, which involves continuous web surfing over 5G at 150 nits of screen brightness."

From 100% to 0% web browsing, I would only get close to 8 hours over LTE. Not even close to what Tom's Guide writer got over 5G.

BED4F59A-B96D-4E69-857B-6277058CAC5D.png

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Testing iPhone SE 2022 over LTE.

-AT&T carrier, 3 bar LTE connection
-Brightness ~20%
-Safari browsing without videos

Started browsing at 2:30pm with battery level at 85%. Only using Safari, lightly browsed non-stop without locking through various articles, no videos, some reddit browsing, some watch forum browsing, but mainly browsing from bing.com articles. The battery level reached 75% at 3:17pm, giving 47 minutes of LTE web browsing for the brand new battery. If we do a rough calculation, 100% to 20% gives us approximately 376 minutes of web browsing usage, or just over six hours of screen on-time provided you don't do anything other than web browsing, especially no camera use.

However, I did this over LTE, not 5G. 5G would consume more battery. And this is in disagreement with Tom's Guide:

"The new iPhone SE 3 lasted 9 hours and 5 minutes on the Tom's Guide Battery Test, which involves continuous web surfing over 5G at 150 nits of screen brightness."

From 100% to 0% web browsing, I would only get close to 8 hours over LTE. Not even close to what Tom's Guide writer got over 5G.

View attachment 1977992

6 hours of screen on time is solid, regardless of what you're doing. Cell connections vary from minute to minute as well. So 6 hours for you might be 4 hours for someone with weaker signal, or 8 hours for someone with perfect signal strength. And yes consistent 5G would make it drop faster.

Nobody's trying to say the SE3 has great battery life. But for what it is, and compared to previous SE's, and even relative to the 12 Mini, it's solid - just that, solid. Not great, but not piss-poor either, like everybody was worried about before it was released.

Edit: I can't believe nobody on YouTube has done a SE2, SE3, 12 Mini, 13 Mini battery comparison yet...

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Have you tried disabling bluetooth? As far as I know, iCloud account Personal Hotspot performs the initial handshake via bluetooth and then uses wifi for actual hotspot.
I just tested with my iPad. When I connected to the SE 2022 through hotspot, the top status bar on the SE 2022 changes from WiFi to LTE, while still showing as being connected to WiFi in Settings. So, very confusing. Regardless, one should be able to turn off hotspot completely, not just to non-account users.

I don't want to turn off Bluetooth, since it is used for location accuracy in some occasions, etc.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I just tested with my iPad. When I connected to the SE 2022 through hotspot, the top status bar on the SE 2022 changes from WiFi to LTE, while still showing as being connected to WiFi in Settings. So, very confusing. Regardless, one should be able to turn off hotspot completely, not just to non-account users.

I don't want to turn off Bluetooth, since it is used to location accuracy in some occasions, etc.

The way Personal Hotspot and Auto-Join Hotspot works, the actual hotspot isn’t active/connected all the time.

When there’s no wifi available, the wifi-only Apple device contacts the cellular Apple device via Bluetooth and only then does it enable the actual wifi hotspot. If the wifi device goes on standby, that usually disconnects it from the cellular device after a timeout period.

If hotspot was actually active all the time, you’d be losing way, way more than 4% overnight. The phone would probably be dead when you wake up.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
My previous phone was iPhone SE2 (A13) and I can tell a pretty noticeable difference in speed with the new iPhone SE3 (A15). If you are coming from the iPhone 8 (A11), it will be greatly noticeable. Visit a website like Daily Mail as a test, if you disagree.

iPhone SE3 has 4 GB RAM.
iPhone SE2 had 3 GB.
iPhone 8 had 2 GB.

I also disagree that this is a kids phone. It's very capable.
Tested on Daily Mail, but didn't notice a difference between iPhone 8 and SE 2022. Now, with that being said, true test would be the ad-infested Tom's Guide website. I browsed Tom's Guide article of iPhone SE 2022 on both phones, but about half way through, the iPhone 8 refreshed the page while the SE 2022 was able to make it to the end of the article.

The way Personal Hotspot and Auto-Join Hotspot works, the actual hotspot isn’t active/connected all the time.

When there’s no wifi available, the wifi-only Apple device contacts the cellular Apple device via Bluetooth and only then does it enable the actual wifi hotspot. If the wifi device goes on standby, that usually disconnects it from the cellular device after a timeout period.

If hotspot was actually active all the time, you’d be losing way, way more than 4% overnight. The phone would probably be dead when you wake up.
But it is continously broadcasting, I would think. Otherwise, how does it know other devices need the connection?

Last edited:

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
We'll that is disheartening to hear - figured it would be 'snappier' (as the kids say on here)...Although, I'm not sure if it's iOS 15, or what, but sometimes music stutters/get choppy framerates within activating the multi-tasking with the iPhone 8.

So I've noticed no stuttering at all. However, I have the 8 Plus also and notice no stuttering on that. This phone is snappier than the 8, however.

Reactions: sorgo †

Gdp

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Coming from an iPhone 6s, it’s a pretty solid upgrade. I really dislike face id, so that’s why I went with it. My main two issues are:
- The home button is way worse, I guess people already complained when the 7 came out.
- The flashlight has a very green color (it’s fine when taking pictures, only when using it as light). Compared to the 6s and an XR, it’s pretty terrible. Not sure if I got a defect unit or a software issue. Anyone else has a similar experience?

A well-written detailed article has been posted by AppleInsider. If you are considering purchasing iPhone SE. It’s worth reading.

D89C3676-94AF-4F8E-9D5E-D73BA960C11F.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why not? 🫤
There’s no reason. Force closing apps before you lock the display does absolutely nothing. There’s no direct effect if you leave the apps running or force close when locking display, other than some background battery drain (Which is normal), depending on how intensive the app is.

Reactions: mblm85

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
I have a lightly used Apple iPhone 7 battery case I am using with the SE 2020...I wonder if it will fit the SE 2022? That would give me some rock solid battery life! It's not something I use all the time just while away on a vacation or long work trip. hmmmm..now it's got me thinking.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I have a lightly used Apple iPhone 7 battery case I am using with the SE 2020...I wonder if it will fit the SE 2022? That would give me some rock solid battery life! It's not something I use all the time just while away on a vacation or long work trip. hmmmm..now it's got me thinking.
If it’s working on your current SE, don’t see why it wouldn’t work on the 2022 SE.

1647929616900.jpeg

Reactions: CheesyTators
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.