Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I'm torn still - SE 2022 or refurbished by Apple 8 Plus to replace my aged 7 Plus (on its 4th battery). I'm not a fan of the lower ppi + resolution of the XR, 11 and SE phones - but I am really feeling the age of my 7 Plus (buggy mail app, buggy iTunes app, Wifi issues, Safari reloads etc). The 8 Plus feels like an obvious choice as I cannot use any OLED phones (PWM sensitivity), but paying £489 for tech that is nearly 5 years old tech feels dumb.

If the SE 2022 didn't exist, would you stick with your 8 Plus? If you had my choice today, which would you take?
I wouldn’t trade my refurbished 8 Plus for a new SE – due to screen size, pixel density, telephoto camera, and battery life (I assume 8+ lasts longer on a charge?).

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I wouldn’t trade my refurbished 8 Plus for a new SE – due to screen size, pixel density, telephoto camera, and battery life (I assume 8+ lasts longer on a charge?).
Don’t trade in your 8 Plus for anything, just keep it as it’s one of apples best (and rare). Just get the SE as a secondary, smaller phone, that’s what I did anyway.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
but I am really feeling the age of my 7 Plus (buggy mail app, buggy iTunes app, Wifi issues, Safari reloads etc)

My friend still uses the 7 Plus, and she's fine with it. Compared with anything later (of the large phones), it feels so thin and light! She loves that about it.

The 8 Plus feels like an obvious choice as I cannot use any OLED phones (PWM sensitivity)

Yeah, it's good. Not sure I'd buy one now simply because it's just starting to lag a bit here and there. Nothing major.

If the SE 2022 didn't exist, would you stick with your 8 Plus?

Yeah, definitely. I'd also look at whatever next phone Apple comes out with--whatever next larger phone. I'm sure it'll be too heavy and fat, though, but I'll look.

If Apple ever demonstrates an awareness that people don't want to carry a brick in their pocket, then we'll know someone smart was hired.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and N69AP

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
iPhone SE has some impressive modern features. I’m surprised it has HDR capability, and doubly surprised that notifications popping into HDR content aren’t overly bright — it makes me wonder how they’re controlling the highlights on a backlit LCD display. I don’t remember the second-generation iPhone SE being capable of displaying HDR content.

The color calibration makes the display the absolute best it can be considering the LCD panel. It does look impressive for most types of content, particularly videos.

There also seems to be a greater level of stereo widening as there is on the latest devices. Not quite the same and I also notice the bass not being quite as deep, but for a starter budget iPhone this current-generation iPhone SE punches above its weight. Apple doesn’t hold back within reason where it would add unnecessary cost.

My first device is also admittedly perfect, with the best color calibration I could see Apple achieving on the display and no apparent flaws. This is important since I’ve noticed a degree of tolerances and variances having owned multiple iPhones throughout the years, so I would be mostly satisfied keeping this iPhone SE if I decide not to put up with the headaches of iPhone 13 Mini — which I’m still undecided and typing this on.

Reactions: Mr.Simple

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
People watch video on a 4.7" these days

Definitely not a size issue. I would take a superior display over a larger display, and in this case the SE holds up against the iPhone 8+.

FWIW I couldn’t imagine Apple putting a better display on this phone considering the ~ 720p resolution and conventional backlighting. This is among Apple’s best LCD displays if not the best in terms of color calibration, which isn’t as apparent compared to a Mac or iPad due to the overall size.

This third-generation iPhone SE is surprisingly nice and a welcome upgrade over the previous generation. It’s not quite an iPhone 13 Mini but it causes me no headaches.

Reactions: ZebraDude

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Definitely not a size issue. I would take a superior display over a larger display, and in this case the SE holds up against the iPhone 8+.

FWIW I couldn’t imagine Apple putting a better display on this phone considering the ~ 720p resolution and conventional backlighting. This is among Apple’s best LCD displays if not the best in terms of color calibration, which isn’t as apparent compared to a Mac or iPad due to the overall size.

This third-generation iPhone SE is surprisingly nice and a welcome upgrade over the previous generation. It’s not quite an iPhone 13 Mini but it causes me no headaches.
Superior display? It has a lower PPI than the 8+, that’s a pretty significant downgrade.

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Superior display? It has a lower PPI than the 8+, that’s a pretty significant difference.

Color and contrast are superior. The ridiculously-meticulous color calibration is what pushes it over the edge for me, as colors look so appealingly deep and vibrant. I prefer it to the 8+ for content consumption, although most users generally prefer a larger display or PPI. The SE can also display 4K content and offers the illusion of a higher resolution display.

If Apple built a LCD display with a 458ppi and a similar color calibration it would look incredible. Perhaps not as good as OLED but they could definitely push the boundaries of LCD further. iPhone 11 had a similarly wonderful color reproduction, which was let down by the PPI which still lacks sharpness in the UI if I pay attention.

Thankfully most users aren’t thinking that this iPhone has a 326ppi display nor do they even necessarily understand what that means, which is why it’s built for the average consumer and the reason iPhone 11 and iPhone SE still sell so well despite some compromises.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipr125

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That being said, while the display is good overall with color accuracy that makes it adequate for content consumption and the camera also surprised me earlier in ideal lighting conditions I am thoroughly bored by iPhone SE—for better or worse.

It’s perfect for its target audience, which may want a familiar design with a home button. I do miss iPhone 13 Mini when I’m using it but I’m also coming to the realization that my brain isn’t going to adjust to the flickering over time. Bottom line it’s perceptible to me and my brain doesn’t like it. Yet, it’s enough of an improvement to me I’m still torn…

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Superior display? It has a lower PPI than the 8+, that’s a pretty significant downgrade.
How many should be using their iPad/MacBook to watch video over their tiny phone? Doesn't discount that iPhone SE3 is the worst for viewing video on the go (due to PPI and screen technology). However, having less pixels to push from the processor/GPU chip is a benefit for the SE3 user. Also IMHO, any phone other than SE3/Mini are too big for communication use. No wonder we have a generation of younger people use speaker phone all the time. It doesn't encourage private use.

However, the difference of SE3 vs the recent top-line offerings? It's not that much different for day-to-day every-day person use. A larger screen might help with social media posts etc; but I'm not that sort of person.

Reactions: jntdroid

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
IMHO, any phone other than SE3/Mini are too big for communication use. No wonder we have a generation of younger people use speaker phone all the time. It doesn't encourage private use.

Mobile phones started out large, and where that way for years… so it’s not the size that makes people use speaker phone.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I'd be curious if someone who couldn't tolerate the SE2 (2020) or 11 screen can tolerate the SE 2022. That would point to something in the A13 SOC I guess?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I'd be curious if someone who couldn't tolerate the SE2 (2020) or 11 screen can tolerate the SE 2022. That would point to something in the A13 SOC I guess?

I’m not sure. There have been reports of temporal dithering causing issues, but I haven’t read of any changes on the 2022 iPhone SE. The display is otherwise improved.

I should try using iPhone SE exclusively for a few days to see if I can adjust from iPhone 13 Mini. I do have to admit that this is the best LCD display that Apple has shipped on an iPhone. It’s better than specs would imply. I’m finding colors are more similar than I initially gave it credit, and the contrast is about as good as we could expect out of a LCD. If I wasn’t such a display enthusiast I probably wouldn’t notice as much of a difference, although iPhone 13 is about 50% sharper to my eyes — I can’t see pixels no matter how closely I stare at the display.

iPhone SE is better than expected and also a bit boring, which is the general consensus among Apple reviewers.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I bought one to tried out, but returned it a week after. Form factor is/feels nostalgic and having the home button is nice. Battery life base on my usage, I get at least 6-7 hours a day, which imo is pretty good. No night mode really turned me off, can't justify spending over $500+ after tax (128gb model) for a old form factor with just a brain upgrade and small bump in battery. I say its a good phone if you can get it at a discount price or free from a carrier.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I bought one to tried out, but returned it a week after. Form factor is/feels nostalgic and having the home button is nice. Battery life base on my usage, I get at least 6-7 hours a day, which imo is pretty good. No night mode really turned me off, can't justify spending over $500+ after tax (128gb model) for a old form factor with just a brain upgrade and small bump in battery. I say its a good phone if you can get it at a discount price or free from a carrier.
Which phone are you coming from?

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Which phone are you coming from?

Pretty much owned/used all iPhone's at one point in time lol, my current phone is a 13 Pro Max. Last year before christmas deals, I got a SE2020 for free from my carrier for my dad and it's well worth it. I just can't justify buying it out right, just my opinion.

Reactions: MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Pretty much owned/used all iPhone's at one point in time lol, my current phone is a 13 Pro Max. Last year before christmas deals, I got a SE2020 for free from my carrier for my dad and it's well worth it. I just can't justify buying it out right, just my opinion.
What do you use iPhone SE for alongside a 13 Pro Max? I can see them having different uses considering the size difference, just curious.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
What do you use iPhone SE for alongside a 13 Pro Max? I can see them having different uses considering the size difference, just curious.
Not the OP you asked, but i could see myself using it as a navigator (mounted phones under windshield and sun kill battery quickly) and for that never replicated fast purchasing experience with Apple pay at my local grocery(3 min drive). It is just unbeatable - you find your phone in your pocket, place your thumb while in the pocket and just hover it over the POS terminal and tadaaam payment processed - you never ever have to check what is going on with the screen.
In the meantime - take out my 13, wait face id failed because of mask, activate apple pay by pressing power button twice, enter your passcode and then hover. Or you can also hover right away, but then also need to wait failed face id and input your passcode while holding hovering over the pos terminal.

• Haha
Reactions: Dealmans

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Not the OP you asked, but i could see myself using it as a navigator (mounted phones under windshield and sun kill battery quickly) and for that never replicated fast purchasing experience with Apple pay at my local grocery(3 min drive). It is just unbeatable - you find your phone in your pocket, place your thumb while in the pocket and just hover it over the POS terminal and tadaaam payment processed - you never ever have to check what is going on with the screen.
In the meantime - take out my 13, wait face id failed because of mask, activate apple pay by pressing power button twice, enter your passcode and then hover. Or you can also hover right away, but then also need to wait failed face id and input your passcode while holding hovering over the pos terminal.
It sounds like you need an Apple Watch. It has seamless Apple Pay. That’s my main use for it lately, besides being reasonably stylish. :cool:

Reactions: ZebraDude

SouthernFried

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
I’ve had my SE 2022 (128 GB) about a week now. Traded in my XR for it. I would call myself a moderate user. Web-browsing, calls/texts and emailing are my main functions. Watching videos is limited (still looks good) and I have zero presence on social media.

All that being said, I’m extremely happy with it. At first, the size difference took a little bit of getting used to. Typing is just a tad more difficult as you have to be a little more precise with certain keys. I’m more than pleased with the battery performance. On heavy-use days, I’m only coming for a charger once in a 24 hour period. On days when I’m not handling my phone as much, I can go about 36 hours. If you are fearful of the battery, fear not. Oh, and that 20W Apple charger charges this thing unbelievably fast. Even the old 5W charges it in a reasonable amount of time.

I am already totally used to the smaller size. Didn’t take long at all to adjust coming from the XR. The Touch ID is a huge bonus as I prefer this feature ten-fold to Face ID. This is the perfect little phone for those who don’t care about all the bells and whistles. The savings is great too. Gives you the ability to upgrade more often as opposed to buying a 1k device and feeling like you have to stick to that for years to get your money’s worth.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It was nice/nostalgic to feel a smaller iPhone in hand having just had a play with a co-worker's SE 2022, but the screen feels so cramped coming from a Plus-sized phone. I'm sure I could adjust but I even found my hand cramping trying to hold something smaller. I don't think I could live with the £569 (256GB) price tag for something that feels so dated when all I want is a modern, all-screen phone. If only they made an SE Plus or LCD iPhone 12/13.....?

I noticed with the glass sandwich design, that the back glass was flush and transitioned smoothly with the side rail (no rough edge or lip edge etc). But the front glass felt slightly raised - you could feel the gasket edge. Is this normal for an SE? My 7 Plus is smooth like a pebble all the way around it, I had a lot of issues trying to find an 8 Plus or 11 without poorly seated glass a few years ago. All of them felt like they had rough edges where the glass met the rail on one side or another.

Last edited:

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
Mobile phones started out large, and where that way for years… so it’s not the size that makes people use speaker phone.
You had a dedicated (and very prominent) ear-piece, microphone and dial-pad. There was no other way to use it. Being honest, the ergonomics of modern smartphones make it more difficult to use as a traditional phone. Although, I'd bet many who can afford it have the AirPods or at least use older Apple Headphones. Those did a good job.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
2) iPhones turn essentially to a brick after a few years, which makes the whole point of owning them to be a negative return unless you are constantly upgrading every two years

This has not been my experience. I have a 6 Plus and an 8 Plus. Both continue to work, and the 8 Plus is my main phone. That's how old? 6 years? I'm on the third battery, and it's going strong, w/ about 95 percent life remaining.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
This has not been my experience. I have a 6 Plus and an 8 Plus. Both continue to work, and the 8 Plus is my main phone. That's how old? 6 years? I'm on the third battery, and it's going strong, w/ about 95 percent life remaining.
Brick as in battery life. I still have one or two iPhone 6, too, in a box. I changed one of the batteries in one as well. When one is buying phones, they are buying primarily for 1) performance and 2) battery life. While Apple has improved on performance decrease in the past few years, battery life is terrible after updates. I know, because I just change the iPhone 8 battery where I gained maybe an extra hour of usage. That really shouldn't be the case. As usual, will have to wait till EU decides to do something about this. :confused:

I am now at the point of asking myself why buy thousand dollar phones if in two/three years, the battery life will be half, and can never be repaired with battery change? Even if the brand new iPhone SE 2022 sits in a box for two years, and updates to the latest iOS after two years, its battery life will be severely nerfed after the update. EU, please fix this. :(

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: janeauburn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.