Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qntunez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Ever since I updated my MacBook, I can't open Safari without it crashing, can't even click on a link. Something's also up with Spotlight Search, it keeps appearing and disappearing and it's sort of driving me nuts.

Does anyone know a fix for this yet? I hate it. Also, my battery is draining FAST.

Reactions: antonywm

mplsguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Ever since I updated my MacBook, I can't open Safari without it crashing, can't even click on a link. Something's also up with Spotlight Search, it keeps appearing and disappearing and it's sort of driving me nuts.

Does anyone know a fix for this yet? I hate it. Also, my battery is draining FAST.

I'm having the exact same issue on iMac but not on my Macbook Air. Can't seem to find anything online about it.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
There are two Security Updates labeled as 2017-001, 17B1002 & 17B1003. Which one do you guys have installed?

Lou

mcdubjr

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008

I started having the exact same issue today...

antonywm

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Me too. Safari crashes whenever I try and load a page after a few seconds and Spotlight keeps crashing (seen by the looking glass in the menu bar keep disappearing and reappearing). Obviously to do with the recent rushed out fix for the howling security 'root' user issue... anyone with any ideas?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Hi Lou, it looks like I got the 2017-001.

Maybe you misread my question - There are TWO 2017-001 updates - both are identified the same, however the build numbers are different. Which do you have?

Lou

antonywm

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I've just checked the console logs - i'm streaming 100 logs per second so there obviously is a problem... something weird - I keep getting a log from various apps (including Spotlight) which say 'Month 13 is out of bounds' ???

[doublepost=1512164271][/doublepost]Hi Lou, how can you tell which one? When I look in the App Store/Updates it just says 'Security Update 2017-001' and the 'Version' bit underneath is blank. The only other info I can get is this:

what /usr/libexec/opendirectoryd
/usr/libexec/opendirectoryd
PROGRAM: opendirectoryd PROJECT: opendirectoryd-483.20.7

Last edited:

mplsguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Maybe you misread my question - There are TWO 2017-001 updates - both are identified the same, however the build numbers are different. Which do you have?

Lou

It's not listing a version?

Security Update 2017-001:

Version:

Source: Apple

Install Date: 11/29/17, 9:39 PM

antonywm

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I am also seeing this issue on two installations, one that does not. For those experiencing the issue, did you by any chance recently restart?
yes AVonGauss that is exactly what I did. I got the update yesterday as soon as Apple released it but only did a restart tonight and the problem started after that.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I see the same thing. Immediate safari crash after a few seconds. What the hell is going on???

iamnotrory

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I've been on support chat with apple for over an hour, still no further forward. They've made an appointment for me at apple store tomorrow

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It's not listing a version?

Go to the Apple in the upper left of your screen. Click on the Apple, then click on "About This Mac". In the window click on the MacOS Version (10.13.1) the version will appear beside it, as in the attachment below:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 12-1-17, 3.13.42 PM.png

Lou

Last edited:

mplsguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Go to the Apple in the upper left of your screen. Click on the Apple, then click on "About This Mac". In the window clock on the MacOS Version (10.13.1) the version will appear beside it, as in the attachment below:

Ah, forgot where that was. It's 17B1003.

I've been on with Apple support chat also for awhile and they're stumped. Did realize that it's only happening with the main user account on my iMac, none of the other accounts. MacBook Air also has the same build and is not experiencing any issues.

Last edited:

antonywm

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
That's weird - mine has also suddenly fixed itself. While I was trying to search for the problem it just stopped crashing Spotlight and then when I tried Safari that is working fine too.

I'll list all the things I did below in case any of these inadvertently fixed it but maybe mplsguy is right and it was some kind of remote Apple server issue.

1. I went into the Directory Utility and reset the root user password
2. deleted Safari history (this was a bit difficult as i had to do it quickly before the app crashed! I presume there is a way of doing it by deleting the relevant folder)
3. In Safari preferences I switched off ALL the options on the Search tab
4. also in Safari preferences, I disabled all plug-ins
5. In System Preferences/Spotlight I removed the checkbox on all the items in the category list and 'Allow spotlight Suggestions in Look up'

mplsguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
That's weird - mine has also suddenly fixed itself. While I was trying to search for the problem it just stopped crashing Spotlight and then when I tried Safari that is working fine too.

I'll list all the things I did below in case any of these inadvertently fixed it but maybe mplsguy is right and it was some kind of remote Apple server issue.

1. I went into the Directory Utility and reset the root user password
2. deleted Safari history (this was a bit difficult as i had to do it quickly before the app crashed! I presume there is a way of doing it by deleting the relevant folder)
3. In Safari preferences I switched off ALL the options on the Search tab
4. also in Safari preferences, I disabled all plug-ins
5. In System Preferences/Spotlight I removed the checkbox on all the items in the category list and 'Allow spotlight Suggestions in Look up'

So, I didn't do any of those things. Apple had me reset the SMC (for god knows why), then try booting in safe mode (which didn't fix the issue). While I was in safe mode waiting for the Apple chat person to get the supervisor, I noticed the spotlight icon stopped flashing on and off. Tried to open Safari and it was fixed. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.