Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
You can print to PDF natively. That's built into the OS. Preview also beats the crap out of pretty much any PDF reader for Windows (though both versions of Edge aren't that bad). Also, Adobe Reader/Acrobat is cross-platform.

TextEdit is a pretty simple text editor. I'm unsure about macro support, but it wouldn't surprise me if that existed. There are also a ton of great text editors out there for Mac that definitely do support macros.

This is a dying breed, but it honestly depends on the program. Certainly a "Window" menu will be able to help you if nothing else.

Yes. A bad habit coming from Windows and Linux is assuming that clicking the Red 'X' closes the program. It doesn't! There are some exceptions to this (System Preferences is one of them) where that IS what it does, but in most cases it closes the window and not the program. The three ways to close a program completely are (a) Right clicking on the program's icon in the dock and selecting "Quit ::name of application::", (b) going to the program's menu in the upper left corner of the screen and selecting that same option, or, my personal favorite, (c) hitting Command-Q which does the same thing. Frankly, I'd just get used to Command-Q as it's way quicker.

You cannot move the top menu bar. The auto-show delay can probably be configured in System Preferences, though.

Sure thing! Any time!

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind reply and the suggestions. That really means a lot!

I am now using Command+Q to close apps, and it's actually quicker. :)

When it comes to printing to PDF, that does work! I'm trying to figure out how to further compress printed PDF files, as sometimes they come out too big. It looks like Automator can be used for that, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
When it comes to printing to PDF, that does work! I'm trying to figure out how to further compress printed PDF files, as sometimes they come out too big. It looks like Automator can be used for that, but I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

When you open a PDF in Preview you can go to File/Export choose PDF and there are a various of filters you can choose (including image compression and size reduction). It's a bit unfortunate that this part of the app has been neglected, since you also have an Export to PDF menu that does not give you these options, but anyway...

Reactions: madonnaragu

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Same here, I hope someday Microsoft manages to sell a fan-less Surface Pro Tablet without Pen Jitter and with a decent Battery, I'll swap without a blink on this day. I like my silent M1 16GB Air a lot, but despite the a bit less appealing UI, Windows flies more here and there, than macOS, by "flies" I mean I get "my nerdy" things done quicker.
Good macOS still has the terminal, this is a huge life saver for me, unlike iOS/iPadOS.

Sadly the better macOS Apps are becoming subscription based, making the macOS platform less appealing to me, just like iOS/iPadOS. E.g. it's hard to find an non subscription based complex, good and low priced PDF App incl. Profiled Printer like this one on macOS: https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

But basic PDF Page manipulations you can do with the build-in macOS Preview-App: re-arrange,extrude,delete,insert,rotate,re-save, etc.

I run almost any platform(Windows/Linux/FreeBSD/macOS) here, I find my way around these issues.

Try TextMate as Notepad++ alternative, it's what i use: https://github.com/textmate/textmate
Want a multiplatform MS Visio alternative, try https://github.com/jgraph/drawio-desktop/releases/tag/v14.5.1
As IDE use VisualStudioCode: https://code.visualstudio.com
As GitClient you can use https://fork.dev

All native AppleARM Apps

You can also browse https://isapplesiliconready.com and check for native Apps.

I avoid additional Intel AMD64 drivers (e.g. Logitech Options, HP Printer), and I make sure to quit "Command+Q" Intel Apps. It's to avoid battery draining and weird unknown side effects.

I do not think I can even go back to a laptop with a fan after this. :) It's so nice that it's silent, isn't it?

I know what you mean regarding software pricing and subscriptions. I actually used Tracker Software's PDF Xchange Viewer on my PC, and it was brilliant!

TextMate is what I'm using now, it's great and supports macros.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and advice! ?

Reactions: osplo and Wildkraut

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
When you open a PDF in Preview you can go to File/Export choose PDF and there are a various of filters you can choose (including image compression and size reduction). It's a bit unfortunate that this part of the app has been neglected, since you also have an Export to PDF menu that does not give you these options, but anyway...

Thanks, I did see that. I print to PDF many times a day so I wanted to find a way to streamline that, so it would automatically compress the PDF when creating it.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you SO MUCH for your kind reply and the suggestions. That really means a lot!

I am now using Command+Q to close apps, and it's actually quicker. :)

Automator is a powerful tool, for sure. I'm unsure as to what degree you need to compress your PDFs. Again, if Adobe Acrobat and/or Reader is how you did this in Windows, that exists on the Mac too (with the one exception of Acrobat Standard, which is Windows only - on the Mac you only have the reader and Acrobat Pro). Certainly, like Windows has been, native .zip file compression and decompression capabilities are built into the OS. Both platforms have had that since the early 2000's.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Automator is a powerful tool, for sure. I'm unsure as to what degree you need to compress your PDFs. Again, if Adobe Acrobat and/or Reader is how you did this in Windows, that exists on the Mac too (with the one exception of Acrobat Standard, which is Windows only - on the Mac you only have the reader and Acrobat Pro). Certainly, like Windows has been, native .zip file compression and decompression capabilities are built into the OS. Both platforms have had that since the early 2000's.
On Windows you're allowed to install multiple 3rd party pdf drivers, and you can then set separate compression and other settings for each. You don't need to go into 3rd party apps, the PDF printer does it automatically.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
On Windows you're allowed to install multiple 3rd party pdf drivers, and you can then set separate compression and other settings for each. You don't need to go into 3rd party apps, the PDF printer does it automatically.
You can do this on a Mac too, but it can get a little weird. You might want a third party program to help manage it. Otherwise CUPS (which is built in to the operating system) ought to be able to help with some of that.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
You can do this on a Mac too, but it can get a little weird. You might want a third party program to help manage it. Otherwise CUPS (which is built in to the operating system) ought to be able to help with some of that.

Thanks! I just can't figure out how exactly to do that. :) I'd prefer to do it without using 3rd party apps.

It says here "Apple changed MacOS to prohibit such [PDF] drivers":

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Also, is this possible on a Mac:

- Fully maximise a window WITHOUT going full-screen
- Terminate apps when the last open window is closed
- Move the top menu bar OR adjust the auto-show delay

I am new to Macs so thanks for your help!
- If you hold the ALT/OPTION key when you hover you mouse over the green circle, it will change to a "+" instead of the two arrows. This will maximize to the screen you're on instead of going full screen

- Command+Q quits whatever app is open, even if there are no windows open

- You can't move it (AFAIK) but if you go into System Preferences, go to Dock and Menu Bar, scroll to the bottom there should be an option to auto-hide it.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
- If you hold the ALT/OPTION key when you hover you mouse over the green circle, it will change to a "+" instead of the two arrows. This will maximize to the screen you're on instead of going full screen

- Command+Q quits whatever app is open, even if there are no windows open

- You can't move it (AFAIK) but if you go into System Preferences, go to Dock and Menu Bar, scroll to the bottom there should be an option to auto-hide it.
Thank you! ;)

Reactions: Superman730

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Thanks! I just can't figure out how exactly to do that. :) I'd prefer to do it without using 3rd party apps.

It says here "Apple changed MacOS to prohibit such [PDF] drivers":

I just found this and it seems to work fine on my M1 MBP 11.3.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Magnet says it is $7.99 on the App Store. Seems a bit high to me for what it does but I guess it doesn't seem that way for everyone.
There are other apps that do this window management, usually in slightly different ways.
I use BetterSnapTool. You control window size by dragging them toward the sides of the screen with different size presets.
Moom is another - that one provides presets when you press and hold on the green window icon.

Here is an article that reviews some of them

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thanks, I did see that. I print to PDF many times a day so I wanted to find a way to streamline that, so it would automatically compress the PDF when creating it.
You may want to look into AppleScript and Automator if you are into automating tasks. Also Keyboard Maestro for recordable scripts.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
You may want to look into AppleScript and Automator if you are into automating tasks. Also Keyboard Maestro for recordable scripts.
Thanks! I did look into Automator for compressing PDFs as they're printed, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thanks! I did look into Automator for compressing PDFs as they're printed, but couldn't figure out how to do it.
Some of the podcasts that I follow go into Mac automation and workflows. It might give you some ideas. I find I it interesting but don’t have a strong need myself.

Automators

Mac power users

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Some of the podcasts that I follow go into Mac automation and workflows. It might give you some ideas. I find I it interesting but don’t have a strong need myself.

Automators

Mac power users
Thank you, I'll check them out! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.