Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Can you tell me your exact settings, both under "show view options" and "sort by" and "clean up by"?
Untitled.png

...and my new desktop icons appear one after the other, lined up on the right from top down. I have nothing selected for 'clean up by' on the right-click context menu.

Reactions: madonnaragu

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Vivaldi -> Preferences -> Appearance, check on "use Native Window", restart. Then it will work.

I don't know what you lose by turning off Vivaldi's windowing system though.

Interesting. That did bring back the option to expand the window fully. However, it adds a bar at the top, wasting some screen real estate.

I can still use RightZoom's command+option+E to expand, which is actually easier.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
These are the apps I have found to be useful in my switch from Windows to MacOS. Maybe they can be useful to others in the same boat.

- ActiveDock 2 (emulates the Windows taskbar really well. Tried Ubar, but that is now abandonware)
- AltTab (tab through open apps with option+tab)
- Bartender (to make the top menu bar cleaner - auto hide/show icons)
- Boring Old Menu Bar (removed the gap between the top menu bar and expanded windows. Thank you for the suggestion, @xraydoc)
- RightZoom (to fully expand app windows without going full-screen)
- Show Desktop (one-click show desktop, Windows-style, without any distracting borders)
- TextMate (Similar to Notepad++, tabbed interface, auto-save, macros)
- Xmenu (adds custom menus to the right side of the menu bar)

Still looking for:

- Alternative to FinePrint/PriPrinter (multiple print jobs manager - merge jobs, reorganise, number pages, rotate, crop, etc)
- An app to terminate apps when the last open window is closed. I can't get "Red Quits" to work

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Re: forcing square corners on Big Sur, there's a discussion here that mentions a fix:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSXTweaks/comments/je6l8x
However, it seems there are issues with Big Sur. Has anyone tried this?

I think you may be stuck with rounded window corners on macOS. It's just a thing.

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Still looking for:

- Alternative to FinePrint/PriPrinter (multiple print jobs manager - merge jobs, reorganise, number pages, rotate, crop, etc)
- An app to terminate apps when the last open window is closed. I can't get "Red Quits" to work

Have you tried using the Mac's built-in Preview application? When you print a job, at the bottom (leftish) there is a PDF pulldown, just select "Open in Preview". From there you can drag pages to reorder jobs, add/delete pages and do a whole bunch of small editing like rotating pages as well, and save the job or print from Preview. FinePrint does look pretty interesting though.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Have you tried using the Mac's built-in Preview application? When you print a job, at the bottom (leftish) there is a PDF pulldown, just select "Open in Preview". From there you can drag pages to reorder jobs, add/delete pages and do a whole bunch of small editing like rotating pages as well, and save the job or print from Preview. FinePrint does look pretty interesting though.

Thank you! I did try Preview. It's OK, but it's not the same. It does not have the same flexibility. I'll see if I can make it work.

PriPrinter is actually even better than FinePrint. Brilliant application for people that print a lot.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you! I did try Preview. It's OK, but it's not the same. It does not have the same flexibility. I'll see if I can make it work.

PriPrinter is actually even better than FinePrint. Brilliant application for people that print a lot.
There's a ton of other PDF editors for the Mac if that's what you're looking to do (make edits before committing to paper). Not sure I have any suggestions for automating it all, however.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Hi all! How can I drag files from my desktop into my browser, to attach to an email? On Windows, you just drag and drop. Is this not possible on a Mac? Thanks!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi all! How can I drag files from my desktop into my browser, to attach to an email? On Windows, you just drag and drop. Is this not possible on a Mac? Thanks!
Works fine for me. I do it all the time (Gmail). Drag & drop. Not sure what problems you're having, unless your browser is doing something weird.

lour95

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2021
Hong Kong
You can drag from the finder window to the bulk of the email and attach it that way. In fact you should be fine doing it from desktop.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
You can drag from the finder window to the bulk of the email and attach it that way. In fact you should be fine doing it from desktop.
Thanks! I think it's ActiveDock that's being weird. I can drag and drop from desktop into Vivaldi, but not via ActiveDock and selecting the app there (like on Windows).

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Btw, I am trying to copy my files from Windows to Mac via an external hard drive. However, every time I try, I get:

"The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."

I have tried rebooting. No luck. It's thousands of files, and macOS will not let me know why this is happening and which file is the problem.

HELP! :)

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Btw, I am trying to copy my files from Windows to Mac via an external hard drive. However, every time I try, I get:

"The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."

I have tried rebooting. No luck. It's thousands of files, and macOS will not let me know why this is happening and which file is the problem.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
I have, of course, googled and tried those suggestions before posting here. They do not work. And I can't be renaming thousands of files to see where the problem is. The system won't tell me.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Try one or two files at a time and see if the error still occurs. If not, select larger and larger groups of files until you can nail down the source. It's entirely possible there are multiple files causing the problem.
Verify on the Windows side that your external drive is good and has no directory errors.
The other issue may have something to do with the format of your external drive. While macOS does ok reading NTFS (if that's what it's using), I don't believe it's officially supported and definitely cannot write to NTFS. Consider either using a different drive format as an intermediary (transfer your files to a FAT32 formatted disk, then to the Mac) or invest in one of the 3rd party NTFS drivers for macOS if you anticipate needing to frequently use NTFS.
Alternatively, consider doing a network transfer if the machines are on the same network. Slower, but might work around some of your issues. Or transfer them to a cloud server, something like Dropbox, then copy them down to the Mac.

I must say your migration from Windows to macOS has not been a smooth one. I've gone back and forth multiple times and have never had the kind of trouble you've been having. Sorry to hear of all your issues. Definitely not the way things usually go.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Try one or two files at a time and see if the error still occurs. If not, select larger and larger groups of files until you can nail down the source. It's entirely possible there are multiple files causing the problem.
Verify on the Windows side that your external drive is good and has no directory errors.
The other issue may have something to do with the format of your external drive. While macOS does ok reading NTFS (if that's what it's using), I don't believe it's officially supported and definitely cannot write to NTFS. Consider either using a different drive format as an intermediary (transfer your files to a FAT32 formatted disk, then to the Mac) or invest in one of the 3rd party NTFS drivers for macOS if you anticipate needing to frequently use NTFS.
Alternatively, consider doing a network transfer if the machines are on the same network. Slower, but might work around some of your issues. Or transfer them to a cloud server, something like Dropbox, then copy them down to the Mac.

I must say your migration from Windows to macOS has not been a smooth one. I've gone back and forth multiple times and have never had the kind of trouble you've been having. Sorry to hear of all your issues. Definitely not the way things usually go.
Hi! Thanks for that. I guess I will have to try as you suggested. I just wish there was an easier, quicker way, but hopefully I only have to do this once.

RE: Migration - LOL I know, but I am actually amazed that I am slowly getting used to my Mac. I almost returned it at one point because I thought there's no way I will be able to make the switch from Windows. Slowly, slowly! :)

Yes, many things are different and I have to change the way I do things. I have to find new apps. Most of my Steam games do not work. A number of things are easier. Some are more difficult. Yesterday I tried installing a printer and setting default print settings was not simple. It involved enabling web interface via Terminal, then opening the web interface, then finding the settings and saving them.

However, I love how fast and, most of all, SILENT, the Macbook Air M1 is. The battery lasts all day.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
RE: Moving files from Windows to Mac - the easiest way to do it was to zip all the files into one archive on Windows and transfer that via an external hard drive to Mac, then unpack. No issues!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yesterday I tried installing a printer and setting default print settings was not simple. It involved enabling web interface via Terminal, then opening the web interface, then finding the settings and saving them.
Really? I've never known anyone who's needed to resort to this. Either something is off or you've got some very unique requirements. Should be very simple to make presets and default settings from the macOS printer interface GUI.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Really? I've never known anyone who's needed to resort to this. Either something is off or you've got some very unique requirements. Should be very simple to make presets and default settings from the macOS printer interface GUI.
On Windows, you can easily set default print settings that apply to every print job - for example, paper type. I could not find any other way to do this on my Mac.

Reactions: blueflower

deific

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
On Windows, you can easily set default print settings that apply to every print job - for example, paper type. I could not find any other way to do this on my Mac.
Yes, true. There was a quirk with double sided printing on some printers that could be solved doing the trick you described. I think I’ve had to use that method once or twice with a client, especially for virtual printing via a certain remote access app I can’t recall. The remote access app didn’t support double sided printing properly, so the trick was to do it using the web interface.

deific

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
I have, of course, googled and tried those suggestions before posting here. They do not work. And I can't be renaming thousands of files to see where the problem is. The system won't tell me.
Check out Chronosync. When I have copy issues it’s my go-to tool as it will skip past (and log) any issues, and then continue where it left off if it gets interrupted for some reason.
I use it quite a bit when I have temperamental drives or need to match up two folders and one was partially copied.
They have a trial version you can use to finish up the copy task. There’s also a less expensive lite version.
I found it to be worth every penny, but in my work I use it a lot.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You can select to use "last used settings" or save current settings as a preset (though this option might be app dependent).
I made a preset for myself called "backgrounds & single sided".
Pardon my creative printer name.

Untitled.png

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
It's really light, fast, beautiful and silent. But I'm missing apps from Windows that I use on a daily basis:

- PDF printer with profiles. For example, I can assign different printing preferences and folders to print to for PDF Printer 1/2/3 etc.
- Simple text editor with macro

Also, is this possible on a Mac:

- Fully maximise a window WITHOUT going full-screen
- Terminate apps when the last open window is closed
- Move the top menu bar OR adjust the auto-show delay

I am new to Macs so thanks for your help!
I highly recommend Rectangle for moving and resizing windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.