Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Yes, I tried that as well. It still only works with a keyboard shortcut. Is it the same for you?
No it works fine for me, just click the green button and it goes full window (no longer full screen)...hover over the green button and it shows me options on what to do. Is there an application that it's failing on? Works as intended on my safari and finder windows.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
No it works fine for me, just click the green button and it goes full window (no longer full screen)...hover over the green button and it shows me options on what to do. Is there an application that it's failing on? Works as intended on my safari and finder windows.
Ah. I see! Yes, it seems that it's working for most other apps apart from the one I use the most, which is my default browser Vivaldi (based on Chrome). Not sure why.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
I also can not figure out how to properly organise my desktop icons. I get it that they start from the right and can NOT be moved to the left (WHY???). But how do I get the system to automatically add any new items at the bottom? It seems sometimes new items go at the top, sometimes at the bottom.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I also can not figure out how to properly organise my desktop icons. I get it that they start from the right and can NOT be moved to the left (WHY???). But how do I get the system to automatically add any new items at the bottom? It seems sometimes new items go at the top, sometimes at the bottom.
Right click on the bare desktop, go to Show View Options, then set your sort & organize preferences to your liking.
However, by default, desktop icons on the Mac start on the right. On Windows, they start on the left. Get used to it. macOS ≠ Windows.
By the way, the Mac way predates the Windows way by many years.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
But if you click and hold green button (instead of fast click) it will reveal Zoom option - which is maximizing app without going to to full screen.
MacOS remembers the app window size and on next app launch you dont have to do it again.
Now I love it more than on Windows...
You don't even have to click & hold. Just hover the mouse pointer over the green bubble and you'll see options drop down. Then, if you hold the Option key down, you'll get additional options.

Reactions: madonnaragu

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Right click on the bare desktop, go to Show View Options, then set your sort & organize preferences to your liking.
However, by default, desktop icons on the Mac start on the right. On Windows, they start on the left. Get used to it. macOS ≠ Windows.
By the way, the Mac way predates the Windows way by many years.
I have already tried that. But regardless of which option I choose, I can not get new items to go at the bottom, regardless of if they're files or folders.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
That's not normal, so something is overriding it. Make sure to set both Sort by... and Stack by...
Mine is set to Stack by "Nothing", Sort by "Snap to grid"
I have "stack by" - "none" and "sort by" - "date added"?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you! However, it seems that even when fully maximised, there is some gap between the expanded window and the top menu bar through which you can see the desktop. Is there a way to fix this?
Just noticed this comment. What do you mean? When I've got a window enlarged vertically as much as it'll go, it's plastered right beneath the menu bar. No gap.

ImaginaryNerve

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
Daytona Beach - Florida
Just noticed this comment. What do you mean? When I've got a window enlarged vertically as much as it'll go, it's plastered right beneath the menu bar. No gap.

I've seen something like this on my own devices, it looks like there's a really thin one or two pixel width gap. You can see it in this screenshot. It is only really noticeable if you have a background that isn't uniform at the top. Last time I used a Mac was Snow Leopard so I honestly can't remember if I'd just never noticed it before or if it just wasn't there in older OSes.

My partner has an iMac running Catalina, I might check it later and see if it has a gap or not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.09.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.09.35 PM.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.13.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.13.00 PM.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 98

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've seen something like this on my own devices, it looks like there's a really thin one or two pixel width gap. You can see it in this screenshot. It is only really noticeable if you have a background that isn't uniform at the top. Last time I used a Mac was Snow Leopard so I honestly can't remember if I'd just never noticed it before or if it just wasn't there in older OSes.

My partner has an iMac running Catalina, I might check it later and see if it has a gap or not.
Here's what mine looks like, though I do use a utility called Boring Old Menu Bar to change the color to white and apply rounded corners. Big Sur 11.2.3
Untitled.png

ImaginaryNerve

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2020
Daytona Beach - Florida
Interesting! That makes me think the menu bar is controlling the last line of pixels between the window and the bar. I wonder if its a deliberate design choice or a consequence of Big Sur's design changes. I still haven't checked the iMac running Catalina because I'm...well, honestly I'm lazy and its downstairs.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Here's what mine looks like, though I do use a utility called Boring Old Menu Bar to change the color to white and apply rounded corners. Big Sur 11.2.3
View attachment 1749392
Yes, there is a 1-2px padding under the menu bar. It's a bit distracting coming from Windows. I guess in your case it's not as obvious due to the colors used.

By the way, is there a way to make all app/window corners square instead of rounded on Big Sur?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Just posting to compare my gap. It's just one of those things that you will get used to. When I switched in 2009 it took me about 2 weeks of frustration to get used to the new way of doing things.

1616763616854.png

Rounded corners is the future now for Apple's design language. I am not aware of any way to revert to the square corners. Even Catalina windows were slightly rounded.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
You don't even have to click & hold. Just hover the mouse pointer over the green bubble and you'll see options drop down. Then, if you hold the Option key down, you'll get additional options.
Thanks - but that works only if the window is the active one.
If not - you have to click somewhere to activate the window, then hover over the green button.
So instead - just click and hold green button both activates the window and offers the options.

Anyway - I learned that fastest way to zoom in is to double click the top of the window. So I switched to that.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It's interesting that Vivaldi seems to be doing something super weird... The tab bit is up against the menu bar, but the rest of the window is not. I recommend using Brave or Safari. Really enjoying Brave at the moment.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It's interesting that Vivaldi seems to be doing something super weird... The tab bit is up against the menu bar, but the rest of the window is not. I recommend using Brave or Safari. Really enjoying Brave at the moment.
I have the same issue with other apps, including Safari. Vivaldi is THE BEST browser out there, so not switching. :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have the same issue with other apps, including Safari. Vivaldi is THE BEST browser out there, so not switching. :)
Yeah, very strange that the gap between the window top and the menu bar is so pronounced. On my machine there's only a 3-4 pixel thin grey line, regardless of the desktop image used (can't see the desktop image in between).

Perhaps it's the Boring Old Menu Bar utility that does it. There is an option to increase or decrease the menu bar size by +1 or -1 pixel (mine is set to "normal"). You can set it to enlarge by +1 pixel and still use the translucent Big Sur style if you want. Might be worth a try if the little gap bugs you.

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Ah. I see! Yes, it seems that it's working for most other apps apart from the one I use the most, which is my default browser Vivaldi (based on Chrome). Not sure why.
Vivaldi -> Preferences -> Appearance, check on "use Native Window", restart. Then it will work.

I don't know what you lose by turning off Vivaldi's windowing system though.

Last edited:

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Yeah, very strange that the gap between the window top and the menu bar is so pronounced. On my machine there's only a 3-4 pixel thin grey line, regardless of the desktop image used (can't see the desktop image in between).

Perhaps it's the Boring Old Menu Bar utility that does it. There is an option to increase or decrease the menu bar size by +1 or -1 pixel (mine is set to "normal"). You can set it to enlarge by +1 pixel and still use the translucent Big Sur style if you want. Might be worth a try if the little gap bugs you.

OK, so I tried Boring Old Menu Bar - and it removes the gap, even with the default setting. Yay! It just looks so much better now. Apart from the gaps from the rounded windows, but hey. :)

The thing is, it's another app to buy. It's not too expensive, but compared to Windows, so many Mac apps cost money or are more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.