Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
option+double click corner of the window will maximize the windows. Option+double click lateral border of the window will increase width to full, and option+double click top or bottom of the window will increase to full height. You can find all this "tricks" and much more nicely explained at Macmost channel in YouTube
I've been an avid Mac user since 1985 and I never knew these!

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
Coming from Windows I was annoyed that on Mac - green button puts an app to fullscreen, hides all buttons and Alt-Tab cant cycle because app effectively takes one Desktop.

But if you click and hold green button (instead of fast click) it will reveal Zoom option - which is maximizing app without going to to full screen.
MacOS remembers the app window size and on next app launch you dont have to do it again.
Now I love it more than on Windows...

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I just found out that double clicking the top bar of any window (anywhere on the bar), will maximise it without going full screen.
Double click it again and it will return to the previous position.

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
Sublime text is available on both Mac and Windows. It is quite powerful with many extensions.

Reactions: ADGrant

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
I just found out that double clicking the top bar of any window (anywhere on the bar), will maximise it without going full screen.
Double click it again and it will return to the previous position.
Yeah, LOL, macOS has done this for over 25 years dude, ‘zoom to fit content‘ basically what it is. Command Click on the icon in the tittle bar and will drop down and show the path of the file, cool eh.

Reactions: blueflower

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Not sure I can help with the others but for these I'll say:

I typically double-click the top frame of an app and it'll maximize to the screen height and that handles most of my need for that -- on other occasions I'll just grab the corner and pull it to fill the screen. Maybe there's another way.

As for terminating apps when last window is closed, this is IMHO a different paradigm than you're used to. On macOS you'll find that Command-Tab switches between applications and Command-` switches between windows of the app you're in. Contrast to windows where Alt-Tab switches between everything open with apps/windows commingled. When I want to close an app I just use the Command-Q keyboard command.
Thank you! However, it seems that even when fully maximised, there is some gap between the expanded window and the top menu bar through which you can see the desktop. Is there a way to fix this?

Reactions: deeddawg

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
I think you want to set things up so your print output can be sent directly to different folders. Here is how to set that up:

That is very helpful, thank you! I still can't see how to adjust the output quality of PDFs as they come out way too large, but I'll test some more.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
As others have mentioned, this is standard OS functionality? Are you missing something specific?

Depends on what you mean by "macro". TextMate 2 is pretty good.

The problem is that macOS does not have a concept of "maximized window" since it is not part of the UI paradigm. What it has instead is "optimal window size" (triggered by opt+click the green icon or double-clicking the toolbar) — this will tell the application to change its window size so that the content fits optimally; and the fullscreen mode that allows the application to take control over the entire screen and adjust it's UI accordingly (aka "focus" mode), but not many apps take advantage of it properly.

So, no, it's not possible.

This is application-specific behavior. I don't know of any way to enforce it system-wide.

Not officially.

PDF: Yes - missing the option to set PDF output quality/compression
Text editor: Record a series of commands/operations, execute them later when needed. For example, search and replace x with y.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thank you! However, it seems that even when fully maximised, there is some gap between the expanded window and the top menu bar through which you can see the desktop. Is there a way to fix this?
Hasn’t been my experience, but if it happened and bothered me I’d just resize the window to what I needed it to be.

Reactions: madonnaragu

MisterMooth

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
People have been recommending Magnet, which I used to use before I bailed when the dev snuck in an ad for another product of theirs, but nowadays I'd recommend Rectangle which is free, open source and much more configurable.

Reactions: blueflower

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
To answer your subject/title question… Not if it doesn’t meet your requirements (i.e., things you depend on or feel are very important). With that said, perhaps you can achieve those as people suggest comparable software, etc.

Next...
Also, is this possible on a Mac:

- Fully maximise a window WITHOUT going full-screen
- Terminate apps when the last open window is closed
- Move the top menu bar OR adjust the auto-show delay
• The exact behavior is app dependent, however, hold the Option key while clicking the (green) maximize/minimize button.
• This is another one of those app dependent features.
— Most apps do it in Windows because the menu bar is integrated into the app window, thus closing the window results in losing access to all app controls (so, why keep it running?)
• Not that I’m aware of.

- Simple text editor with macro

EDIT: I responded bass-ackwards (responded first then decided to read all replies). So, yes, many of mine are repeats.
?

Last edited:

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Another thing that I can't find for a Mac is an alternative to Fineprint and PriPrinter. They're virtual printers, so you can send multiple print jobs to them until you're ready to print. You can then adjust printing preferences for the whole job, edit, crop, remove and reorganize the pages. Brilliant stuff, but can't find anything similar.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
I can't get rid of the gap unless I go fullscreen, which I don't want.
you could hold the track pad with one finger, then resize anything on the screen by moving another finger on the trackpad which is called pinch resizing.
this could be enabled in trackpad in system preferences, that gray cog icon in the toolbar.

once you get the gist and hang of Big Dup, you might like that!
im getting back to my brief 2019 windows experience, which i am liking a lot today!

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Rightzoom works for me. Always irked me when they did the fullscreen changeover and last month I finally decided to find a tool to fix it.

free/donationware.
Hi!

That's useful. I can only get it to work with a keyboard shortcut (option+command+E), but not by clicking the expand button. Is this normal?

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Hi!

That's useful. I can only get it to work with a keyboard shortcut (option+command+E), but not by clicking the expand button. Is this normal?
I know I mentioned it before but I still highly recommend Magnet.. while it is $7 now instead of $1 when I purchased it, it will do everything you're looking for and more, and is a very polished, properly built and sandboxed app (while the one above is not code signed or notarized with Apple)

edit: and if price is a concern, while I have not used it, it looks like BetterSnapTool also in the Mac App Store at $2.99 does everything Magnet does as well

Pummers

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Hi!

One thing I found was that it didn't work on default except in the whitelisted applications. I went into the application configuration and clicked the Enable Right Zoom in all applications, but not Exclusions button (inverted it).

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
I know I mentioned it before but I still highly recommend Magnet.. while it is $7 now instead of $1 when I purchased it, it will do everything you're looking for and more, and is a very polished, properly built and sandboxed app (while the one above is not code signed or notarized with Apple)

edit: and if price is a concern, while I have not used it, it looks like BetterSnapTool also in the Mac App Store at $2.99 does everything Magnet does as well
Thanks! I'll check them out!

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
One thing I found was that it didn't work on default except in the whitelisted applications. I went into the application configuration and clicked the Enable Right Zoom in all applications, but not Exclusions button (inverted it).
Yes, I tried that as well. It still only works with a keyboard shortcut. Is it the same for you?

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021

Just checked. Both seem good, but there's no trial. Even though they are affordable, testing numerous apps that all cost money does add up.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I still can't see how to adjust the output quality of PDFs as they come out way too large
Try this. It's a second step, but you probably only need to use it occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.