Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akhshaykumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Hi, I heard there was a new iPad Pro coming soon in September or October. I don't know if I should wait or buy the current one. What are your opinions?

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
I am having the same predicament as the OP. I was hoping WWDC would result in new iPads being announced, but no dice. I am torn between buying the cheaper 2018 iPad and pencil now and upgrading when the new iPP is released, buying the 2017 iPP and accessories now and missing out when the new one is released, or just sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing until the new iPP is announced/released. I go back and forth on these three options in my head many times a day.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Agreed if you actually need one now and know you’ll only be happy with the Pro then buy one. Someone in a US city near a Micro Center store can get $150 off any current iPP. But if you’ve never had an iPad, already have something else to use in the meantime, and you’re convinced you would only be happy with the features of the Pro, then I would say wait for the refresh.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m waiting too. Was hoping it’d be announced at WWDC. But no such luck. How much longer should you wait?Tough call. Like others have said, depends on how badly you need it right now. I’m limping along with an ipad mini thats got a cracked screen & broken home button. Really want the pro cause i’m an artist and i also want to edit photos & videos. The rumored bezel-less ipad pro intrigues me. Mainly because of the face id and lack of a home button. In all my ipads so far, the home button has failed at some point. None of the current ipads pro or regular have adopted the non physical button of the iphones yet. So, i’d rather go for the next ipad pro update than get one of the current ones which still use a physical home button. I will wait until at least November...but so far there have been ZERO leaks of the next ipad pros. Who knows if it will even be announced this year. If thats the case, will it be March 2019 or at the next WWDC in June of 2019? Again...nobody knows for sure yet. As the Tom Petty song goes....the waiting is the hardest part.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi, I heard there was a new iPad Pro coming soon in September or October. I don't know if I should wait or buy the current one. What are your opinions?
Why wait? The current ipads (Pro and non) are terrific devices and worth the price... though the 2018 ipad is the best value of all. IMO, too much time is wasted waiting. If you have already decided to buy an iPad Pro, just go out and buy it and enjoy. Is there some deficiency with the current ipad that is causing you to doubt?

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
Why wait? The current ipads (Pro and non) are terrific devices and worth the price... though the 2018 ipad is the best value of all. IMO, too much time is wasted waiting. If you have already decided to buy an iPad Pro, just go out and buy it and enjoy. Is there some deficiency with the current ipad that is causing you to doubt?

Normally, I would advise against buying now but seeing as how Apple *still* has yet to announce anything, sracer's reasoning is sound -- there's nothing wrong with buying now. I myself got fed up with waiting and plunged on a 12.9 yesterday and I'm in love with the device. If Apple does announce a new one with thinner bezels and Face ID, I *might* sell this one, but honestly, for what it is, it is *indeed* a terrific device.

Whatever way you go, I don't think you'll regret it.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
(As someone who bought a 64 gig iPad Pro via Staples getting them to match Micro Center's $150 below MSRP well before WWDC, taking a risk...)
though the 2018 ipad is the best value of all. IMO, too much time is wasted waiting. If you have already decided to buy an iPad Pro, just go out and buy it and enjoy. Is there some deficiency with the current ipad that is causing you to doubt?
I agree on the first point. The 2018 (6th gen) iPad is a pretty darn good value.

I'd be hesitant to pay full price on an iPad Pro 10.5" at this point.

If the Micro Center $150 off deal is still going on (looks like it is) and it's on the configs the OP is fine with, go for that, if possible. Otherwise consider an Apple refurb: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_pro_105 or buying from a reputable place that doesn't collect sales tax for your state...

I've bought a ton of refurb iPads and iPod Touches from Apple almost all for work. I've only had 1 dud (iPad 3 refurb that was registering phantom touches out of the box). The rest have been fine. They look brand new on the outside (since they receive a new outer shell, new battery and new accessories) and you can't tell they're refurbs except from the box.

Reactions: rui no onna

maj88

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
(As someone who bought a 64 gig iPad Pro via Staples getting them to match Micro Center's $150 below MSRP well before WWDC, taking a risk...)

I agree on the first point. The 2018 (6th gen) iPad is a pretty darn good value.

If the Micro Center $150 off deal is still going on (looks like it is) and it's on the configs the OP is fine with, go for that, if possible. Otherwise consider an Apple refurb: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_pro_105 or buying from a reputable place that doesn't collect sales tax for your state...

I've bought a ton of refurb iPads and iPod Touches from Apple almost all for work. I've only had 1 dud (iPad 3 refurb that was registering phantom touches out of the box). The rest have been fine. They look brand new on the outside (since they receive a new outer shell, new battery and new accessories) and you can't tell they're refurbs except from the box.

I got myself IPP 10.5 last week and I'm very happy.
If you need one now, definitely buy it.

Reactions: jeremydwill

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

To buy refurb or not, is an even more subjective matter. You are satisfied with your experiences and so it makes sense for you to recommend that option.

I will never buy a refurb for 2 reasons... 1st, there is no guarantee regarding what Apple exactly does when refurbishing a particular unit. One doesn't know what damage (if any) the device had and what remedy Apple took to address the damage. 2nd, I can always find NEW Apple products for a lower cost than Apple charges for a REFURB'd unit. I might have to wait a week or up to a month, but I haven't had to pay full MSRP (or any price higher than the going refurb rates)

I know that some claim that they PREFER refurb over new because (supposedly) Apple performs more thorough testing on refurbs than the tests of new ones on the manufacturing line. Without knowing the battery of tests performed on the refurbs and the tests performed on the line, it is only conjecture.

jeremydwill

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2016
Chicago
As someone who just upgraded from the 12.9 to the 10.5 last week, I absolutely love my 10.5 and the form factor / mobility of the device is superb. Don't wait any longer. No one has confirmed that new iPad Pros will be released this year anyway? My bet is on an early 2019 release.

Last edited:

schoff0310

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Southeast Florida
[doublepost=1528771195][/doublepost]I just got the iPad Pro 10.5 after trading in my older iPad at Best Buy. What a difference! I love it and glad I didn’t wait. I have iPhone X and have gotten used to Face ID and if the new iPad has it so be it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just got the iPad Pro 10.5 after trading in my older iPad at Best Buy. What a difference! I love it and glad I didn’t wait. I have iPhone X and have gotten used to Face ID and if the new iPad has it so be it.
Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how it is done!
thumpsup.gif
congrats! :)

I did something similar... a few months ago I got a decent trade-in on my Air 2 at Best Buy and turned around and bought the 2018 iPad.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I took the leap last week, upgraded from my 2017 iPad 5th Gen and I’m delighted with it.

And I don’t mean to sound like a notch hater, but putting a cut into the screen, the giant screen, of a tablet which will be used by many people as a media consumption device, sounds like lunacy.

I don’t know many people who watch a LOT of video content on their phones, so on the X the notch may well be less instructive but on a tablet?

I’d hope that Apple retain a bezel of some kind for the notch on iPad.

Anyway, the current 10.5 screams, and ProMotion is gorgeous to use. The specs on the Pro 10.5 will keep it relevant for years.

justbrownie13

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
ohio
[doublepost=1528771195][/doublepost]I just got the iPad Pro 10.5 after trading in my older iPad at Best Buy. What a difference! I love it and glad I didn’t wait. I have iPhone X and have gotten used to Face ID and if the new iPad has it so be it.

Looks like I will be doing just this! :)

Reactions: millydog

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

I was thinking that exact same thing. I have the original iPad Pro 12.9". Overall I've been pleased with the size because I'm old and want large things to see better. LOL Okay, it's a little on the heavy side. I almost bought the 10.5" iPad Pro today but backed off realizing that the current model will be one year old later this year. I was disappointed that there was no mention of the iPad during WWDC 2018 (last iPad, I believe was announced at WWDC 2017). But given the prospects of some of my iPhone X features may surface in the next generation I decided that it would best for me to wait.
[doublepost=1528936840][/doublepost]
I am having the same predicament as the OP. I was hoping WWDC would result in new iPads being announced, but no dice. I am torn between buying the cheaper 2018 iPad and pencil now and upgrading when the new iPP is released, buying the 2017 iPP and accessories now and missing out when the new one is released, or just sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing until the new iPP is announced/released. I go back and forth on these three options in my head many times a day.

Do you have one now? If so which model?
[doublepost=1528936948][/doublepost]
Normally, I would advise against buying now but seeing as how Apple *still* has yet to announce anything, sracer's reasoning is sound -- there's nothing wrong with buying now. I myself got fed up with waiting and plunged on a 12.9 yesterday and I'm in love with the device. If Apple does announce a new one with thinner bezels and Face ID, I *might* sell this one, but honestly, for what it is, it is *indeed* a terrific device.

Whatever way you go, I don't think you'll regret it.

Did you have an iPad before being the Pro?

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
I was thinking that exact same thing. I have the original iPad Pro 12.9". Overall I've been pleased with the size because I'm old and want large things to see better. LOL Okay, it's a little on the heavy side. I almost bought the 10.5" iPad Pro today but backed off realizing that the current model will be one year old later this year. I was disappointed that there was no mention of the iPad during WWDC 2018 (last iPad, I believe was announced at WWDC 2017). But given the prospects of some of my iPhone X features may surface in the next generation I decided that it would best for me to wait.
[doublepost=1528936840][/doublepost]

Do you have one now? If so which model?
[doublepost=1528936948][/doublepost]

Did you have an iPad before being the Pro?

I'd been using a 9.7" Pro for the better part of two years.

The only reason I'd been wanting the 12.9" is strictly for its size. While the 9.7" is good enough for note-taking, I got tired of pinching and zooming all the time when writing, especially when it caused me to miss important points in lecture. Since the big keynote happened right when my summer classes were starting, I told myself I'd be getting a larger sized iPad regardless of whether or not new hardware was announced. So yeah. :p

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I’ve had the 12.9 since last year and have went back and forth the entire time wondering if I should make the jump or not. Yesterday on a whim I went out and got a lte iPad Pro 10.5 and have been using the hell out of it so much I’ve had to charge it twice already. My wife is horribly neglected right now.

Thing is? Apple is providing support for products they have that came out 6years ago. 6 years! I’m fine with the new iPad Pro I’m typing on now and having it for a couple years. It’s absolutely perfect and will add value to my life NOW. I didn’t want to wait months and months for an update that won’t make a difference in my life

Reactions: gobikerider

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I took the leap last week, upgraded from my 2017 iPad 5th Gen and I’m delighted with it.

And I don’t mean to sound like a notch hater, but putting a cut into the screen, the giant screen, of a tablet which will be used by many people as a media consumption device, sounds like lunacy.

I don’t know many people who watch a LOT of video content on their phones, so on the X the notch may well be less instructive but on a tablet?

I’d hope that Apple retain a bezel of some kind for the notch on iPad.

Anyway, the current 10.5 screams, and ProMotion is gorgeous to use. The specs on the Pro 10.5 will keep it relevant for years.

First , no one including Apple has confirmed anything. So saying there will be a notch on the next iPad is false.

And second, I always find that the people who complain about the notch and videos on an iPhone X don’t own one and never used one for an extended period of time. Just my observations.

Reactions: Matz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.