Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
I’ve had the 12.9 since last year and have went back and forth the entire time wondering if I should make the jump or not. Yesterday on a whim I went out and got a lte iPad Pro 10.5 and have been using the hell out of it so much I’ve had to charge it twice already. My wife is horribly neglected right now.

Thing is? Apple is providing support for products they have that came out 6years ago. 6 years! I’m fine with the new iPad Pro I’m typing on now and having it for a couple years. It’s absolutely perfect and will add value to my life NOW. I didn’t want to wait months and months for an update that won’t make a difference in my life
Why switch from 12.9? was it not the new model?

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I’m in this spot, but not because of the current model vs the unannounced new model. I’m debating whether or not to replace my mid-2010 iMac with a newer one, and buying both this year isn’t in my budget.

Absent that, I’d probably go ahead and buy the IPP now, rather than wait.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Why switch from 12.9? was it not the new model?

The 12.9 IS the newest version. But there were so many reasons to switch from it that I had been refusing to acknowledge this whole time it was getting ridiculous.

Like I always had to justify with myself that I wanted to use the 12.9 iPad to really pick it up and use it. Subconsciously I was always thinking about the size and how much effort it was to pick it up and use it. Holding it, where i would be when I used it, if I wanted to change positions to use it since I couldn’t really handle it in certain sitting or laying positions very well. I always had to consider the size and for that reason, I’d use it less.

The 10.5? I’ve only had it for a couple days and I’ve been using it all the time. I go lay down in bed and it comes with me as a small ereader. I’m reading more! Every time I go to the bathroom where I know I’m gonna be sitting down, it comes with me. And it’s so much more versatile. I’m typing this with the split keyboard right now. The one that the 12.9 doesn’t even have! If I was gonna type this reply on that one, I’d have to figure out how I want to sit, what I’m gonna lay it on and if it’s worth the effort. I might have not even replied at all.

But because of the size I’m so much more likely to do things with it! I used to think I didn’t need the 10.5 for portability because “ahhh. I barely ever leave the house with the iPad anyway and when I do. I’m just at work with it. It’s not like it needs to be that portable anyway”. But that couldn’t be more wrong! Even just around the house I’m using it a lot more just because it’s so much easier of a decision to pull it out and type on it or read on it or whatever. So I couldn’t be happier with my decision

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
Unless you find a really good deal, I would wait. I have the 10.5 and received a really great price during a Back to School sale at $699 for the 256GB in August of 2017. What made the deal really good was Apple unexpectedly raising the price of the 256GB model by $50 a few months later. I am sure there will be some Back to School sale in August this year and maybe it’ll be on the next model of the 10.5

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It is confirmed in the form of iOS 12 beta 1.

No it’s not. There is a difference between ‘likely’ and ‘confirmed’.

Of course, it's possible Apple simply brought over the gestural and menu bar changes to iPad to create interface parity across its iOS lineup, but it's likely Apple is paving the way for redesigned iPads widely believed to be coming later this year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/05/ios-12-changes-hint-at-new-ipad-pros/

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I'd been using a 9.7" Pro for the better part of two years.

The only reason I'd been wanting the 12.9" is strictly for its size. While the 9.7" is good enough for note-taking, I got tired of pinching and zooming all the time when writing, especially when it caused me to miss important points in lecture. Since the big keynote happened right when my summer classes were starting, I told myself I'd be getting a larger sized iPad regardless of whether or not new hardware was announced. So yeah. :p

I'm coming from the other side of the tracks. I bought my 12.9" iPad strictly for the size, however I came from the iPad Mini. It is nice, but a bit on the heavy side. I did not want the 9.7" size but when the 10.7" iPad Pro came on the scene I felt that it was worth looking at. I say them both, side by side, in the store. Overall there is a significant difference but when you consider the "screen real estate" it didn't seem like such a big drop. From what you've said it looks like you will be very happy with the 12.9". I am looking for something that is lighter but don't want to loose too much in the actual screen size. In any case I'm prepared to wait it out until the next gen iPad Pro is released. By then I'll be 99% sure of my selection.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I wouldn’t. I’m thinking about buying a pro as well but I’m definitely not gonna until the new one is out. I don’t even have an iPad. But they almost all look the exact same besides the rumors of the new redesigned pro.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I wouldn’t. I’m thinking about buying a pro as well but I’m definitely not gonna until the new one is out. I don’t even have an iPad. But they almost all look the exact same besides the rumors of the new redesigned pro.
As is common in the MacRumors forums though, peoples' imaginations have run wild with what these new iPad Pros are going to look like if they're "redesigned". Tablets are rectangular slabs of glass and metal. The configuration of the screen might be redesigned, the chassis might be slightly redesigned, but even if one or both of those happen, it's still going to be shaped like a tablet.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
First , no one including Apple has confirmed anything. So saying there will be a notch on the next iPad is false.

And second, I always find that the people who complain about the notch and videos on an iPhone X don’t own one and never used one for an extended period of time. Just my observations.

First, get off your high horse.

Second, don’t make assumptions about people you don’t know. (I have owned and returned a X).

Third, it’s MacRUMORS, and one of those rumours is a bezel-less, Face ID iPad ... and as with any rumour site, we’re here to discuss them.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
First, get off your high horse.

Second, don’t make assumptions about people you don’t know. (I have owned and returned a X).

Third, it’s MacRUMORS, and one of those rumours is a bezel-less, Face ID iPad ... and as with any rumour site, we’re here to discuss them.
There's a difference between believing that a rumor will come to realization, and claiming that rumor is a fact. But it's common for people here to take a rumor and then with great certainty and confidence proclaim that the rumor is definitely happening.

There's a long list of people who emphatically declared that new iPads WOULD be announced at WWDC. They criticized those who placed the correct perspective on it. Back in May, they said, "don't buy a new iPad now, new models will be announced in June at WWDC". Where are they now? Declaring that new models are coming in the Fall. :p

Absolutely lets discuss the hypothetical, the potentially new models, the rumors of what's to come... but lets keep it in perspective.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA

You mentioned a notch so stop back pedaling.

All I simply posted was there have been ZERO reports thus far of an iPad with or without a notch.

I’m just sticking to facts, the fact that this site is a rumor site is irrelevant/

Reactions: Channan

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Sorry, I misread what was written. Deleted my post.

Last edited:

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I am having the same predicament as the OP. I was hoping WWDC would result in new iPads being announced, but no dice. I am torn between buying the cheaper 2018 iPad and pencil now and upgrading when the new iPP is released, buying the 2017 iPP and accessories now and missing out when the new one is released, or just sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing until the new iPP is announced/released. I go back and forth on these three options in my head many times a day.
A new one will be released in the next three to four months.

If you can’t wait, the 10.5 is a great device.
[doublepost=1529114660][/doublepost]
First , no one including Apple has confirmed anything. So saying there will be a notch on the next iPad is false.

And second, I always find that the people who complain about the notch and videos on an iPhone X don’t own one and never used one for an extended period of time. Just my observations.
I stopped noticing the notch by the third day. It’s irrelevant, at least for me. And I do watch video. Glorious HDR video on OLED.

Reactions: iapplelove

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I bought a 10.5 on Wednesday just gone and I’m extremely happy with it!

I had an iPad Air that was over 4 years old and needed replacing, it’s really slow.

I was going to go for the 2018 cellular iPad that was just announced on a monthly contract, however, for only £5 a month I could get the 10.5 pro so seemed like a no brainier and I’m glad I did!

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Am waiting..makes sense that it would come out with the new IOS 12..I had bad luck with the iPad Pro 10.5 inch, bought one at Target last year, after 2 days stopped functioning..got another one, stopped functioning after a week..so said to myself screw it will wait for the next one to come out and either buy it at Best Buy or Apple wont get one at Target ever again, guess it was a bad batch

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
^^^
I guess you got unlucky. I have one I bought in the past few months via Staples online and it's fine.

I have two at work, one is with cellular and they're both fine. They both came straight from Apple. (One has iOS 10.3.3 on it and another 11.x. I test iOS software for a living.)

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
You mentioned a notch so stop back pedaling.

All I simply posted was there have been ZERO reports thus far of an iPad with or without a notch.

I’m just sticking to facts, the fact that this site is a rumor site is irrelevant/

Back peddling?

I never said the would 100% be one, I was commenting on the basic of multiple rumours. This is a rumour site.

You’re being utterly facetious for the sake of it. Maybe it makes you feel like the big man “correcting” people, whatever your reason, it’s pretty pathetic.
[doublepost=1529261587][/doublepost]
There's a difference between believing that a rumor will come to realization, and claiming that rumor is a fact. But it's common for people here to take a rumor and then with great certainty and confidence proclaim that the rumor is definitely happening.

There's a long list of people who emphatically declared that new iPads WOULD be announced at WWDC. They criticized those who placed the correct perspective on it. Back in May, they said, "don't buy a new iPad now, new models will be announced in June at WWDC". Where are they now? Declaring that new models are coming in the Fall. :p

Absolutely lets discuss the hypothetical, the potentially new models, the rumors of what's to come... but lets keep it in perspective.

Mate, I made a general comment to get involved in some friendly discussion with fellow Apple users and got leapt on.

This forum is ridiculously unfriendly, but I should have known; I’ve read without posting for long enough. At no point did I state the notch was definitely coming to iPad, I was commenting based on rumours. People are talking about the next model, so I threw it in there.

What a lovely community this is.

Reactions: iapplelove

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This forum is ridiculously unfriendly, but I should have known; I’ve read without posting for long enough. At no point did I state the notch was definitely coming to iPad, I was commenting based on rumours. People are talking about the next model, so I threw it in there.

Sorry, last thing I want to do is come off unfriendly. For that I apologize.

I agree, and have been treated poorly at times so I don’t want to pay that kind of attitude forward.

You’re right, at the end of the day it’s just a rumor site.

Reactions: eVolcre

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I just purchased a new iPad Pro 12.9 inch with its overpriced keyboard lol

Its brilliant.

I've owned the 10.5 inch as well and its just as well made.

If the new iPads have features I must have, as I am a sucker for new tech, I'll just sell the 12.9 inch on eBay gather a few extra dollars and buy the new iPad when it's released. I generally do that every year, at least since iPad 4.

So you have a few options.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
One week later and I have hardly picked up my iPhone X. I love this iPad. My word documents automatically sync with Dropbox and I find myself relaxing with the pencil. Crazy fast and fabulous!

It's been roughly a week and a half for me and I haven't picked up my MBP. Well, maybe once or twice due to the iPad's incompatibility with parts of Canvas and/or Blackboard, but for everything else, it's been iPad only. I'm amazed at just how much more productive I am on this thing than any other device ever owned to this point. Apple really is onto something here. :)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
As someone who just upgraded from the 12.9 to the 10.5 last week, I absolutely love my 10.5 and the form factor / mobility of the device is superb. Don't wait any longer. No one has confirmed that new iPad Pros will be released this year anyway? My bet is on an early 2019 release.

First, I agree that the 10.5 iPad Pro does look pretty good. I looked at them and almost bought one.

WWDC passed and no announcement. However since the last release was June 2017, I think, it would be unusual to see a 2019 release. Possible - yes, Probably - No. In any case no one has a crystal ball and knows for sure. That said I remain on the fence. :) I have no sense of urgency so I'll sit and wait and wait then wait some more. :D

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans

Absolutely nothing sracer said came across as unfriendly in any way.

I think there was just a bunch of misunderstanding because Shirasaki stated that the next iPad was confirmed to have a notch, Face ID, and no home button, and I think people may have confused you with that person.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
First, I agree that the 10.5 iPad Pro does look pretty good. I looked at them and almost bought one.

WWDC passed and no announcement. However since the last release was June 2017, I think, it would be unusual to see a 2019 release. Possible - yes, Probably - No. In any case no one has a crystal ball and knows for sure. That said I remain on the fence. :) I have no sense of urgency so I'll sit and wait and wait then wait some more. :D

Update: Okay, Ms. No Sense of Urgency jumped off of the fence and just got her 10.5 iPad Pro today. I’m still curious about the new iPads and will see if they are significantly different when they are announced. I can still get one, then, if I find a compelling reason to do so. But for right now, I’m very happy with the 10.5 iPad Pro I currently have.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
This forum is ridiculously unfriendly, but I should have known; I’ve read without posting for long enough.
You should try participating in https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/. There are some uhh.... characters on there. Fortunately, the number isn't huge, maybe dozens and probably not hundreds.

The amount of nitpicking and back/forth can really derail threads there. Some posts that violate guidelines (not all of which I agree with) get banished to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/snippiness.7777/. Skim some of the last couple pages to get a flavor. Moderation there can be a bit hit or miss though. And, even though some of the most egregious attackers get their plenty posts moved there, they still keep it up. :(

Reactions: eVolcre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.