Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selfdestrukt

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I tried to buy an ipad air the other day (spain) but they did not have the model i wanted and they said it would take 2 weeks to order.

Now I wait for new ipad pro... cuz they failed to let me impulse buy an air by not having proper stock.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally I’m waiting! The iPad Pro is rumoured to be getting a bigger update next month. There is rumoured to be an event on March 16th.

Reactions: jumpcutking

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
You said "iPad Pro is running outdated specs compared to the much cheaper Air 2020" - what specs? The cpu? Well, the A14 is indeed faster on single core but not multi core and gpu benches are comparable (due to more cores on the A12z).

Now apart from that, the Pro's specs are better/higher on everything else where they differ:
  • Pro has up to 1tb storage v 256gb
  • Pro front facing camera higher res
  • Pro has better brightness
  • Pro has Promotion (120hz screen refresh)
  • Pro has true tone flash
  • Pro does ultra wide photos and video
  • Pro has has 4 speakers v 2
  • Pro has FaceID
  • Pro has LiDAR scanner
  • Pro has 5 mics v Air's 2
So to suggest the Pro is obsolete due to only single core performance is uninformed at best. (As for cost, the equal storage spec Pro v Air is £869 v £729, £140 for all of the above).

And this is not me ragging on the Air as I think it's a very good device and would happily have one.
Don’t forget the Pro also has 6GB of RAM vs 4GB. That will make a difference long term.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
If I had to guess, the 2021 iPad Pro will look essentially the same, perhaps smaller bezels with the miniLED display. It will have an A14X or M1 chip, 6GB of RAM again, 5G. I would be completely surprised if it wasn’t compatible with the Magic Keyboard. Accessories like the Magic Keyboard don’t likely change design/feature wise often. See Apple’s Smart Folio Keyboard.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 and I’m waiting to see what they launch in March. If the it looks like what I’ve listed above, I’ll be upgrading. I’m also curious to see if they keep the Apple Pencil 2 or create a newer pencil. Not sure how they can honestly improve the Apple Pencil 2. Maybe color options.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
If I had to guess, the 2021 iPad Pro will look essentially the same, perhaps smaller bezels with the miniLED display. It will have an A14X or M1 chip, 6GB of RAM again, 5G. I would be completely surprised if it wasn’t compatible with the Magic Keyboard. Accessories like the Magic Keyboard don’t likely change design/feature wise often. See Apple’s Smart Folio Keyboard.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 and I’m waiting to see what they launch in March. If the it looks like what I’ve listed above, I’ll be upgrading. I’m also curious to see if they keep the Apple Pencil 2 or create a newer pencil. Not sure how they can honestly improve the Apple Pencil 2. Maybe color options.

Im not sure if they can make the bezels any thinner. Otherwise they'd barely be anything to hold onto without touching the screen.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Don’t forget the Pro also has 6GB of RAM vs 4GB. That will make a difference long term.

Not sure how that makes an impact long term. I’ve had 4 GB for years and felt no impact on performance. I guess it will depend on the use case and if one suddenly decides to have more taxing things to do.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Different date, but still in March?

In the past few years Apple has started moving toward announcing more and more products through press releases rather than actual events. The iPad Pros, AirPods v2, and even AirPods Max (despite being a really NEW product) were released this way. Even with larger improvements expected, I can easily see Apple releasing in March 2021 without an event.

To go 18 months with the 2020 spec bump seems so nonsensical. That's essentially a 3YR product cycle for the high end iPad since the 2018 was the real revision. Also, unless Apple jumps straight to the A15X, I can't see Apple announcing iPhones with the A15 in September and then iPad Pros with the A14X the following month.

The latest I can see Apple waiting is WWDC, like in 2017 - but hey, we could all be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
In the past few years Apple has started moving toward announcing more and more products through press releases rather than actual events. The iPad Pros, AirPods v2, and even AirPods Max (despite being a really NEW product) were released this way. Even with larger improvements expected, I can easily see Apple releasing in March 2021 without an event.

To go 18 months with the 2020 spec bump seems so nonsensical. That's essentially a 3YR product cycle for the high end iPad since the 2018 was the real revision. Also, unless Apple jumps straight to the A15X, I can't see Apple announcing iPhones with the A15 in September and then iPad Pros with the A14X the following month.

The latest I can see Apple waiting is WWDC, like in 2017 - but hey, we could all be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They rarely if ever release hardware at WWDC, that's for software. Oct would be the next logical iPad release event.

Reactions: Tybull

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020

Yeah I’m so confused.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Oct is a no go for various reasons (already mentioned here!)

OP: Do not buy now, you can easily wait and see. From everything you've said so far you are just "lusting" and the urgent "need" is not there yet so you have the luxury to wait.

It will either be March or April. WWDC maybe but unlikely as I think they will have the spotlight on M1X for MBP/iMac

Spring event update is the most likely.

Yep, buy the current model. I thought this was too soon for new iPad Pros anyways. Probably not until Oct now.

Last edited by a moderator:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

They had a November event (which they’ve never done before), so I assume that there will be more events during the pandemic, but they’ll be shorter than usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.