Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Oct is a no go for various reasons (already mentioned here!)

OP: Do not buy now, you can easily wait and see. From everything you've said so far you are just "lusting" and the urgent "need" is not there yet so you have the luxury to wait.

It will either be March or April. WWDC maybe but unlikely as I think they will have the spotlight on M1X for MBP/iMac

Spring event update is the most likely.
So... I got a 256g iPad Pro Cellular... 2018 for around $800. I thought it was the most recent and to me compared to $1250... $800 is a steal. I suppose I should have compared the packaging on it. LOL. I only did that after looking at the photo and saw how it only mentioned LTE.

So any suggestions on fixing that :D - or maybe on utilization of the older iPad...

On other news, offloading an iPad 2018! That is if I don't trick myself into opening it anyway.

--

But even through the list of items I mentioned may seem like "lusting" over a luxury item, I can't tell you how many times I was like I wish I could jot this down and refer to it... DIGITALLY. It's a part of my thinking process. It will also greatly help my day-to-day desire to stop killing trees. The amount of paper I print... well... - To me it is a luxury item that when I have one will decrease office clutter, increase efficiency, with the added endorphin and happiness bonus points of having a new tech toy. Yes... kid in a candy store... reading the nutritional labels and making a mouton out of 1g of protein. :D :D :D

Still... it's been on my wish list for a while, and when I handled one briefly it helped my day to day (it was a work iPad Pro).

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
So you got 2018 model for $800? Well, if thats the case then just enjoy it and don't worry about new ones. I wouldn't have done it if I were you as as soon the new ones are out even these models will drop further in price but if you have it and can't return it then enjoy it. It will last you a while for sure.
Just dont' be sad when the 2021 model is amazing :D :D :D

So... I got tricked into buying a 256g iPad Pro Cellular... 2018 for around $800. I thought it was the most recent and to me to $1250... $800 is a steal. I suppose I should have compared the packaging on it. LOL. I only did that after looking at the photo and saw how it only mentioned LTE.

I suppose tricked isn't the right word... but it was a referral from a friend. :(

So any suggestions on fixing that :D - or maybe on utilization of the older iPad...

On other news, offloading an iPad 2018! That is if I don't trick myself into opening it anyway.

--

But even through the list of items I mentioned may seem like "lusting" over a luxury item, I can't tell you how many times I was like I wish I could jot this down and refer to it... DIGITALLY. It's a part of my thinking process. It will also greatly help my day-to-day desire to stop killing trees. The amount of paper I print... well... - To me it is a luxury item that when I have one will decrease office clutter, increase efficiency, with the added endorphin and happiness bonus points of having a new tech toy. Yes... kid in a candy store... reading the nutritional labels and making a mouton out of 1g of protein. :D :D :D

Still... it's been on my wish list for a while, and when I handled one briefly it helped my day to day (it was a work iPad Pro).

Reactions: jumpcutking

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Curious, is there a chance that they'd release just the 12.9 and not the 11?

I know people who are still using the old 10.5 pros as a daily driver. The 2018 iPad Pro 11' is still a very capable device though I'd be a lot happier with the 6GB of ram in the iPad Pro 2020.

I have an iPad mini 5 and it works for everything I use it for (mostly reading, websites, some application use). I've had the privilege of using a 2018 iPad Pro and 2020 iPad Pro - both were more than capable for what I needed them for - and would be for years to come. I do categorize myself as a "light to medium" user? Lots of Book reading, websites with Adguard pro, netflix/hulu/YouTube now and then, Apple Fitness, some light work usage if needed (Teams, WebEx, RDP). Maybe a Infinite Flight game for a few hours now and then.

The fact that the mini 5 is more than adequate for my needs tells me these devices are getting to the point where I don't need the latest and greatest. Those that get it anyway? Cool - I know people who buy super high end cars to just putt putt below speed limit to grocery stores. Whatever works :)

Response to this thread? If you can wait, I'd wait. However, my iPad is my MOST used Apple device ever. I spend most of my time on one. I've read 7 books so far this year on mine (15 all of last year). My usage of my iPad is only increasing. I'd be very happy for many years with a 2020 iPad Pro, or even an Air, or a mini 5. :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So... I got tricked into buying a 256g iPad Pro Cellular... 2018 for around $800. I thought it was the most recent and to me to $1250... $800 is a steal. I suppose I should have compared the packaging on it. LOL. I only did that after looking at the photo and saw how it only mentioned LTE.

I suppose tricked isn't the right word... but it was a referral from a friend. :(

--

I agree, a 256 iPad Pro Cellular for $800? Even if it was 2018 I'd be happy with that. My 2018 iPad Pro cellular has been my most used device in my Apple usage history and I loved it. I remember spending over $1k for that early last year. I sold it to my sister (going to college) - with all accessories (pencil, case, keyboard case, etc) for $600 - but that's family rate and cuz I knew she could use it for college.

Yes, that iPad SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my need for paper - I use Notability HEAVILY (400+ notes just last year alone).

It's a great great device. My most used device.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I agree, a 256 iPad Pro Cellular for $800? Even if it was 2018 I'd be happy with that. My 2018 iPad Pro cellular has been my most used device in my Apple usage history and I loved it. I remember spending over $1k for that early last year. I sold it to my sister (going to college) - with all accessories (pencil, case, keyboard case, etc) for $600 - but that's family rate and cuz I knew she could use it for college.

Yes, that iPad SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my need for paper - I use Notability HEAVILY (400+ notes just last year alone).

It's a great great device. My most used device.
Makes me feel better for sure!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
So update, this iPad Pro has already revolutionized my life. LOL! I turn off like all the annoying work notifications on my phone - but I moved them over to the iPad. So I can check my project management software, teams/slack, the whole 9 yards... Fast, side by side... and it's a decent device. Reminds me of a giant iPhone... so I'm wondering if I just got to learn more about it to experience the iPad difference.

Still waiting for my Apple Pencil (engraved so it's taking a while) but I can't wait to use it with SideCar! And notes... and all the things.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! You are all awesome!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So update, this iPad Pro has already revolutionized my life. LOL! I turn off like all the annoying work notifications on my phone - but I moved them over to the iPad. So I can check my project management software, teams/slack, the whole 9 yards... Fast, side by side... and it's a decent device. Reminds me of a giant iPhone... so I'm wondering if I just got to learn more about it to experience the iPad difference.

Still waiting for my Apple Pencil (engraved so it's taking a while) but I can't wait to use it with SideCar! And notes... and all the things.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! You are all awesome!
The iPad Pro is my MOST used device, hands down... period. I use it for everything. The cellular makes it especially useful when I'm out and about, power outages, and when I need it the most. Yep, being able to use it with a bluetooth keyboard to do RDP, Teams, WebEx meetings.... with my AirPods? Indispensable.

I sold my 2018 iPad Pro to my sister, as I already explained, a few months ago. I could only go without my iPad Pro for a few weeks before I had to pick another one up. lol.

I've found my reading on the Pro 11 is far easier on my eyes than the mini 5. I read a LOT. I've already read 9 books this year - one of them being a 600 pager. Last year I read like 17. So this year is going to be a doozie.

Being able to pop out a blank page and doodle on it - emptying my head of thoughts, or take notes during a meeting... and record audio -- then access it on my phone, MacBook, etc...

Apple Fitness in the privacy of my own bedroom....

It's a win all around.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.