Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the smaller notch look worse than the original?

• Yes

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 96 41.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 79 34.3%

• Total voters

ls7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
I didn’t even mention the height though? But now that you say it, yes the icons are aligned with the bottom of the notch but on 13 the icons are larger and there’s still about the same amount of space between the icons and top side bezels meaning the 13 notch should be a tiny but taller? Not enough difference to make me care about it anyway.

On my 12 Pro Max Instagram stories have black bars on top and bottom, did iOS 15 change it? (I haven’t updated to it yet)

View attachment 1839948
My 12 Mini running iOS 15 also has black bars just like yours.

The problem in the mkbhd picture is most likely that Instagram fails to identify the 13 phone as a ”notch phone” and instead use a layout for other devices. Look at the timeline/bar on top that is completely blocked by a notch of any size.
This is a software problem, not a notch height problem.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I’m getting sick of people saying the notch is smaller it is not it’s horrible because it’s more narrow that’s cool but as it’s slightly taller it looks worse and bigger, im sorry but it looks 10 times worse, why couldn’t they just make it narrow and keep the tallness the same, it’s a downgrade to me it eats into more of your apps and videos they really messed up and it reminds me of a bad persons moustache who I won’t say

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It's not a deal breaker, but as someone with a Pixel 3 XL which has the extreme version of this narrow but tall notch, I agree that the new notch is objectively a little worse than the older notch. If they were able to narrow the notch without increasing height and/or use the reduced width to provide battery percentage then this would be great. But as it is, the new notch is marginally worse than the old one.

Kind of disappointing. Hopefully, eventually there will be a software update to better use the notification area, but I doubt it.
Apple has lost the plot they refuse to let us remove the dam home bar and now there is zero reasons they couldn’t put the batt % back in there but they don’t, I don’t wanna use a huge widget just for that, I’m sick of how apple work, they know we all want it so do it

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Here's a proper comparison of the newer "smaller" notch on the iPhone 13's compared to the original. After watching reviews and finally seeing this comparison picture, I can't believe I'm saying this but the smaller notch looks worse than the original. I mean both are bad either way but there's something about the new one that seems "more in your face" and obtrusive.

Sure the smaller notch has somewhat reduced in size, but it marginally increased vertically so it looks more bigger? What do you guys think?

View attachment 1839207
Maybe but look, you get to see the whole bubble in the upper left on the new one.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
I don't care either way. Just the same unusable space. I would just have waited until they could completely get rid of it, I really don't see any benefit of this reduction, other than "bragging rights"

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
As a long time owner of a Pixel 3XL, I can look past the bathtub. But it seems like they made the notch smaller simply so they could say they did when marketing, without actually providing a real benefit along with it.

Reactions: Ta0jin

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That’s the part that threw me off. It’s not like that a little extra space they gave us is even being utilized. So honestly I don’t really see the point of making a notch 20% smaller, plus it’s giving me Pixel 3XL vibes lol ?
You realize that apps can use that extra space, right?

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Whatever they want to use it for. Lots of apps put content in the “ears.”
Short of time/signal/battery icon, I’ve never really seen an app put any real usable content in the ears. Having that extra space allows you to see a tiny bit more of what the notch would be covering but to me realistically a few millimeters on each side it’s not gonna make much of a difference as far as apps utilizing that space. Do you know a specific app where that would be a benefit? Not starting an argument, just trying to understand your POV.

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
A smaller notch is great, but what is the point if they don't make use of the extra space? I setup my 13 Pro earlier and right away noticed that the time, cellular bars, wifi, and battery icons are all bigger (perhaps just bold). 3rd party apps will probably make use of the extra room, but it seems like a poor choice by Apple. I hope they improve and allow the end user to customize this area to some extent similar to what they did with control center. I'm not going to hold my breath or anything but would like to see options here.

Reactions: Ta0jin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.