Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
it helped some to use resolutionatior to change my display to a non-scaled resolution. but still really bad.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
I cant remember where but there is an m1 build of obs out there compiled. My copy is m1 optimized and runs amazingly, its just not an official obs build

Reactions: topdrawer

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
I cant remember where but there is an m1 build of obs out there compiled. My copy is m1 optimized and runs amazingly, its just not an official obs build

I'm so dumb. it's open source so of course one could build an M1 version. which I tried and failed because of an error I don't know how to resolve. but I found a prebuilt version.

edit: I did some testing and it's still choppy - not as choppy, but choppy. it's a shame because I can stream to discord perfectly.

it takes up way fewer resources tho.

something to do with scaling I think. I can get smoother video when streaming at the resolution I'm playing. but then 1080p is really tiny on these screens. I have to play on a tiny window.

edit 2: just tested Twitch Studio and on first run it optimized to 720p 60fps. now I run the test again and it says internet connection is good and hardware is bad. even at 480p it will still be choppy and blurry. wtf? this can't be true. the app is running in silicon mode.

Last edited:

unQuestionable

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2018
Fargo/Moorhead Area
I guess Streamlabs is not m1 compatible yet? I really don't want to install rosetta on my computer ?
You said the same thing about Ecamm on Facebook. Pretty confident that Ecamm is definitely M1 Native and don’t know why you’re seeing that message. Also, usually Rosetta is just baked in; you never answered my question on that Ecamm community post there: why do you not want Rosetta? Regardless, one of the only two developers for Ecamm, Glen, replied to you letting you know that Rosetta just translates code, and there are a few components to Ecamm that require it at this time, however the main program itself is M1 native.

Last edited:

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I handle a fair amount of streaming for my work, utilizing Wirecast as the broadcasting software, and the M1 Mini is rock solid. Zero dropped frames, runs beautifully.

Reactions: IngoX

mini5apple

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2020
I do know a fair bit about software webcams and app compatibility. I'd be happy to answer questions regarding that, just ask :)

However, I unfortunately don't have much experience with Apple Silicon or virtual machines.

What I can say, though, is that I have beta testers who have had success with both M1 and OBS.
is getting good clean audio (no hiss) for live streaming as easy as buying a good usb mic? $150 audio technica nt2020 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.